• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I enjoyed this film in the theater as a teen but even then I knew it was bad.

The thing that bothers me the most about MI2 is how it's supposed to be ball to the wall action, but the action set pieces themselves are extremely poor. I would argue that the train/helicopter sequence in the first MI is better than *anything* in MI2. This movie looks like it was shot by a first-time action director rather than a legend. A few random examples that STILL stand out to me after many years:

- Ethan/Nyah car chase scene - Besides being completely ridiculous in the context of the plot, this is a very poorly filmed driving sequence. Too many quick cuts, hard to get any thrills from this. The camera seems to be the worst enemy

- Biocycte lab shootout - Nevermind that Ethan is trying to accomplish his mission as slowly as possible, but when the baddies show up and the shootout starts, the editing and way this scene is presented is just terrible. The camera cuts from the bad guys shooting to Ethan and back again and it's really hard to see what's happening. At one point Ethan shoots a guard who recoils like he just took a bullet in the face, but in that moment you see that Ethan actually missed and the bullet hits the wall next to the guy. Sloppy work all around.

- Motorcycle chase - Again, this was just a poorly-filmed chase sequence from beginning to end. First that jump looks totally fake and the bike moves in a completely unrealistic way. Once again the camera angles and time between cuts is extremely poor. There's no sense of where this chase is headed. They could have been riding around in circles and you wouldn't have been able to tell. I think the motorcycle part goes on too long and should have been trimmed down (and you know, re-shot with better angles). The final hand to hand fight scene is actually ok, though there's still too much slow-mo IMO.

I don't know why the action scenes in this movie are so terrible to look at. My best guess is that John Woo shot the action scenes as if this was a rated R film, and then when they went to cut it together they had to remove a lot of the connective tissue to get under the PG13 rating (hence why the camera seems to cut just before you see anyone get shot.) Or maybe the stunt/fight coordinators just weren't good and JW had to edit around them?

Nevertheless, I'm glad this movie exists if nothing more than to serve as the punching bag of the series. I thought Cruise and Newton had real chemistry despite some awful dialogue, I thought the score was...interesting (probably one of HZ's worst but it still has its moments), and I totally agree that Sean Ambrose is actually one of the stronger villains of the series.

Maybe I'll give this a Memorial Day re-watch.

Oct 27, 2017
That last clip in the OP doesn't make any sense, why is he thrown sideways by an explosion going off directly behind him, the debris on the ground even moves towards camera but he moves screen right for no reason?
I'm pretty sure people (myself included) have wondered they for years and the only explanation is to look "cool"

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like MI2 quite a bit for what it is. Probably my 2nd most rewatched behind Fallout

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Sounds like I should finally watch the sixth movie.

I love the first and third movie. The second one is fine, I guess? Honestly can't remember or distinguish 4 and 5 from each other, and I've watched both at least twice at this point.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Easily the worst in the franchise but it's an okay Tom Cruise vehicle. I wish Thandie Newton had gotten more to do and even though he won't make a villains hall of fame any time soon Dougray Scott is the right amount of ham and cheese.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I love MI2 like I love 2 Fast 2 Furious. I only remember 3 since they filmed the hospital scene at my workplace and got to meet the Cruise Missile.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in the middle of an MI series rewatch (just watched Ghost Protocol) and holy shit MI2 is bad. I appreciate that it laid the ground work for future MI movies e.g. action sequences, but it was borderline unwatchable. Cringe factor was off the charts, and as an Australian the amount of Aussie cliches was fucken ridiculous, even more so than the usual Hollywood shit.

MI2 was so bad that I didn't watch MI3 for the first time until last week, as I assumed it was more of the same, but it was surprisingly good.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It almost killed the frachise by being the most popular film in the franchise.

The J. J. Abrams one is by far the least profitable film in the franchise. I would also consider it the weakest as a film. It was directed like an Alias episode. I also remember it being severily lacking in doves and slow-motion compared to the preceding film.

5c3e325b3670ad05486c9029

How are they getting those numbers?

www.boxofficemojo.com

Mission: In Competition

Are they adding inflation?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
This was about 1 step above the bad Pierce Brosnan Bond films. Pretty much the bottom of the Mission Impossible ladder.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
2 is bad but it gave us the Kaz gif which is still fucking amazing all these years later. That scene is probably the only good part in the movie.

Ghost Protocol is the peak of the franchise so far, but 5, 6 and 3 all slap. Rogue Nation especially, godDAMN that movie is filthy.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the Audi TT, but yeah, that was one of the first few movies I bought on DVD cause I didn't see in theaters yet, definitely tried to like it, but couldn't in the end.

It was not the worst movie ever, just tried something different and forgettable in the end. It screamed "Year 2000" style though, haha.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Recall disliking 2 in theaters and never have rewatched. I was gifted a BR boxset last year with all films, and I have yet to have seen 5 and 6...might be time for a marathon.

Beefwheat

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Winkler, Manitoba
I saw it once, on video, shortly after it came out. Around that time, DVDs were taking off and Unrated / Director's Cuts were big selling features. My friend and I, both fans of John Woo, were absolutely convinced that this movie had been heavily stripped down by American studio interference and a more visceral, violent cut of the film had to exist.

We waited for the Director's Cut that never came...

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
For me, having loved the shit out of the first as a kid with it's kinda potboiler mystery, and train vs helicopter, M:I2 felt like it was trying to turn into a Bond film. As a John Woo film it's fun, mindless 2000s action fluff. But it doesn't hold up to the rest of the series. Haven't seen it in years, but may, just to show my wife the entries in the series she hasn't seen 1 and 2 among them.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it on tv years ago at a pub and man M:I2 is all kinds of nuts. IMO it's one of those movies that gives you a gut feeling whatever was going on behind the scenes was far more interesting than the movie itself.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Its trash and the part about mixing Fallas with Semana Santa was terrible. If you are gonna go to a country to portray its culture at least do it properly.
And even without that the movie is still terrible. Thank god the franchise was given to better directors after that.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
I loved 2, it is the worst out the whole series but I still enjoy it every time I rewatch it. It's cheesy yes but all the movies are cheesy in a way with the humour and over the top action scenes. It also has the best OST of all the movies imo.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
MI:2 was great for what it was. A cheesy action packed flick that didn't require anything from its audience.