• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On September 9, 1999, Sega would release what would become their final home console, the Sega Dreamcast. Many consider the Dreamcast ahead of its time, with its cutting edge graphics, built-in modem that ushered in online console gaming, and VMU. Unfortunately, DC met its untimely demise only 18 months after launch when Sega discontinued the console. Still it has a rightful place in the hearts of so many gamers.

Here some videos and photos that may give you a rush of nostalgia:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Best Sega console and second best console I ever played on. It had excellent arcade fighting game gems I played on there that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to play anywhere else like Plasma Sword.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Only 18 months? Wow, that's crazy. It felt like longer than that.

My Dreamcast was stolen a few years back. :(

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
One of those things that I just ended up missing. I'm envious of the people that have a strong connection to the console. I was only able to play it very seldom at a friend's place growing up.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
I didn't get a Dreamcast until probably around the year 2004/05. Of course I already had a PS2 for years by that point, but even still, playing a Dreamcast for the first time was mind-blowing. Running from the whale in Sonic Adventure, and experiencing the graphics and presentation of Shenmue was crazy. For a system that first came out in 1998, it really held up. In fact, I think it still holds up very well to this day (lack of second analog stick being the one sore spot).

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I bought mine at Sears on release day. The first time I played Ready to Rumble, I thought the graphics were the best I have ever seen.

Shenmue and PSO were the best titles on it for me Along with NFl 2k.

PSO gave me memories I still cherish to this day.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The only Sega console I liked let alone loved. I spent thousands of hours tying up the phone line so I could play PSO. The Dreamcast and SNES are constantly going back and forth as my favorite console.

Oct 27, 2017
I love the DC now. The whale part of sonic blew me away when I was a kid. My family was pretty broke then tho and they got my brother and I a PS1 and n64 in 1997 so when I saw DC I thought it was really cool but didn't want to ask for it coz I never thought I'd get it

Wish I had stayed in the loop in gaming 2000-2004 because I stopped following it and would have loved to at least snag the $50-$80 clearance DC units in 2001.

To this day, despite its flaws, the controller is one of my favs.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I bought the system in October 2000 but it was really a Christmas gift--it sat in my parents' closet for about two months.

Started out with Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi, which had both his the $20 "All-Stars" line at the time, plus a pre-owned copy of "Carrier" which was a freebie for buying the console. Wasn't crazy about it, but it wasn't downright awful either.

The console, its games, the community surrounding it and the developers that supported it were the last bastion of real magic and excitement in this industry to me, and when the Dreamcast died, so did a part of me, as dramatic as that sounds.

Here's this super forward-thinking platform being supported by some of the best, most innovative, most creative games the industry had seen and it only managed to stick around for about three and a half years.

Yes, I know a decent chunk of Sega's problems of the Dreamcast were on them, but I felt like Sega was really putting their all into the Dreamcast, and if that much talent and originality isn't appreciated by customers because they're swayed by Sony's marketing dollars, then man that's a hell of a bummer, a feeling I later felt with Nintendo and the Wii U.

After the Dreamcast lost support I moved back to PC Gaming and my GBA and more or less skipped out on the rest of the sixth generation, only returning to consoles when I bought a Wii in 2008. To this day I haven't owned a Playstation because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.