• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
rOx3PbG.gif

I can actually hear this gif.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I did too. It felt like WCW was just starting to right the ship again. It wasn't perfect and probably would have taken a few years but it was on the right course.

You had the right guys on the roster. You had the best of the best of the old guard left, you had a lot of midcard guys on the edge of a breakout, you had young talent that was going to be future stars (Hell AJ Styles was on the roster) and then...

AOL-Time Warner's new board decided they were above wrestling, even though Nitro and Thunder were still out performing most TBS and TNT programming even in thier decline.

And WCW's fate was sealed.

There is a reason a What If WCW wasn't sold has been a popular scenario for games like Total Extreme Warfare and other booking Sim games since the Invasion ended.
I ran into Disco Inferno in Vegas three weeks before and he swore Bischoff had the sale in the bag.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Its all good they got to invade WWF a few months later. Surely they wont botch the biggest storyline ever right?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost too appropriate for late-stage WCW. Literally just random noise and feedback with just the faintest hint of structure. The fact they debuted this at the exact same time as a logo that WCW itself compared to bird shit...
page.jpg

...and you just have to wonder if all this was all some sort of weird The Producers style ploy went wrong, a deliberate metacommentary on how the company was a sinking ship destined to fail...

Yeah, no, it was probably them just trying to be hip and edgy and falling flat on their faces.

Anyway, here's a dumb Simpsons meme:

Tamati Hemi

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
New Zealand
I absolutely loved WCW as a kid. My mum would always let me stay up late so I could watch it. It used to be shown after cartoon network on a Friday night in Ireland.

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I thought about this all day on Friday, and yeah... I was in a funk all day.

March 26th, 2001 went down as one of the saddest days of my life. And it was just weeks after SEGA pulled out of the Hardware Business.

Pop-culture wise, 2001 was fuck standing awful.

Wanna get even sadder? Imagine if WCW had lived and New Japan had its 2010s Renaissance in a similar fashion?

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
i remember watching the invasion at my grandma's house living room with milk and cookies by the side

wcw is gone
so is my grandma

life man šŸ˜ž

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I was more of a WWF/E kid but I liked WCW as well. WCW had better matches but WWE had my favorites.

I gave up on wrestling back in 2009. I still played the games for a few years and would read up on the history of the business. I don't think I really cared about the genre as whole since 2012.

Oct 29, 2017
Eric Bischoff wanted to bring in Toryumon/Dragon Gate wrestlers once he purchased WCW. I was tape collecting during that time. Just imagine watching an Nitro match between Crazy Max and the Yung Dragons.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017

Sid shouldve got an Oscar for staying in character like he did. It was incredible, cause everyone else burst out laughing.

Yeah literally the week after WWE bought WCW i stopped watching. I hear wrestling is pretty shit now.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the NWO was the biggest thing to ever happen to wrestling and nothing else comes close.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The way Vince proceeded to bungle was could have been the most obvious, biggest money angles in wrestling history with the Invasion would be mind boggling if it weren't apparent in subsequent years that he has absolutely no idea what he is doing.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Late WCW wasn't all bad. It gave us the undisputed greatest movie ever made, and the legend of Jimmy King.

If you walked out of that theater not a Jimmy King mark, you're a fucking liar.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
First episode I'm watching of Nitro which I think is the last episode of 95... is that Paul Wight with an nWo t-shirt on, talking to Hogan?!?

Edit: Watching these first 5 mins, I'm not going to ruin AEW for me at all, am I? The crowds and the energy are just electric.

Side note: What was the episode that the gif of Sting revealing himself comes from? Was that Nitro?

Last edited:

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only got into wrestling recently with AEW...
Is that Schiovane?!?

And 2: How can I watch*/relive classic WCW and which years are the best to track down?

*Legally or otherwise, I guess.
NUMj5rU.jpg

According to the ResetEra.com-endorsed Chronological Wrasslin' Super Gradez, these are the must-watch extravaganzas.

Or just watch the first three or four years of Nitro chronologically. God bless.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
NUMj5rU.jpg

According to the ResetEra.com-endorsed Chronological Wrasslin' Super Gradez, these are the must-watch extravaganzas.

Or just watch the first three or four years of Nitro chronologically. God bless.
Bless *you*. I'm working from home and my wife is working in the office today, so I'm gonna load up on Nitro after Dynamite. Woo!

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
NUMj5rU.jpg

I'd only add every big event from Starrcade '93 to Clash XXVII. WCW up til Hogan's arrival in '94 kicked so much ass.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
WCW talk was fun as hell in high school in 1996. As weird as it is to look back at it, EVERYONE loved it in my area. You could talk about it or wear shirts in public without shame. Also WCW shirts were always really terrible except for getting lucky with the nWo shirt.