• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I can honestly say, on the list of things I never thought I'd want on a bucket list, I was there in Cleveland for this and the amount of shock and amazement was pure insanity. I was part of wrestling history and I had zero idea.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

Simon Miller did a review of both shows today.

And when I look back on it, I keep asking myself why I liked the Attitude Era so much outside of Austin and Rock.

I still have not been to a more hype wrestling show than being in attendance at the GA Dome when Goldberg won the WCW Title.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I really wish appreciated WCW at the time. I was a massive WWF mark as a kid and viewed WCW as lesser-than, redneck wrasslin.

Now when I watch classic wrestling it's almost always WCW/Crockett, because most of it is better.

I did watch the simulcast episode of RAW though. It was fucking crazy. I did switch to TNT to make sure it was actually happening.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Poor Rey Mysterio

cIhFukx.gif

When I say "poor," I actually, "fuck yeah you deserved that shit for not being in the nWo"

It's amazing this singular moment is so completely ingrained vividly in my memory.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I loved this company when it was around and I love it now.

I just signed up for Peacock and was crushed when I realized they have hardly any WCW stuff uploaded.

Everybody talks about the insane popularity of 97-98 but NWA/WCW was damn good even back in the mid-to-late 80s/90s. It's still great to watch and I'd choose it over any 2001-onward WWE.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Travel back in time to when Dave could host a radio show and think about what could have been

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017

I just signed up for Peacock and was crushed when I realized they have hardly any WCW stuff uploaded.

Everybody talks about the insane popularity of 97-98 but NWA/WCW was damn good even back in the mid-to-late 80s/90s. It's still great to watch and I'd choose it over any 2001-onward WWE.

That sucks that Peacock is going to go through every single piece of content so they can remove anything offensive. I feel like it will take forever for us to get all of the content on the network on there including the WCW stuff. WCW had some really good content even though the last year was gutter piss. I do miss them though and so still wish that Bischoff was able to buy them up as WWE made them an embarrassment.

It sucks that WCW only lasted roughly 12 years, not counting the Crockett years......but crazy when you see companies like ROH and TNA/Impact are going on 18 and 19 years.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Wrestling forever changed after this. You would think those millions of viewers who turned into Nitro every day would switch over to Raw... but it never happened. The opposite in fact as ratings started to take a decades-long slide. There is definitely a subset of people who tuned into Nitro who weren't "wrestling fans", but watched Nitro as if it was any other drama like The Walking Dead or LOST. You could say the same for Raw during its peak as well.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

True! Especially fun to watch Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude of that Era and watch how well they thrived outside of the WWF.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
True! Especially fun to watch Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude of that Era and watch how well they thrived outside of the WWF.
I've heard so many people talk about how Rick Rude "never got a world title" because they never watched him in WCW. Such a shame he got injured and ended his career soon after.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the same here. I was a hardcore WCW fan, never liked the WWE and could only last a few weeks into "The Invasion" before I stopped.

It was my Power Rangers Turbo moment for wrestling.
Glad I'm not alone.... don't even get me started on power rangers turbo 😞😞

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I've heard so many people talk about how Rick Rude "never got a world title" because they never watched him in WCW. Such a shame he got injured and ended his career soon after.
He and Steamboat's careers were cut way too short. It's nice that they both had a lot more prestige and chances to prove how awesome they were in WCW.

While at the same time up north Vince was forcing another GOAT, Randy Savage into a color commentary role he didn't want.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's crazy that Vince got everything on the cheap. Time Warner really thought that poorly on the product.

Florida Esq.

Oct 27, 2017
My friend and I grew up not far away from Panama City, and were there that night (we were 16). Fun fact: after Shane left the ring and the show went off the air, someone started playing "It's the End of the World As We Know It" over the show's sound system. At least someone had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That brings back memories, my best friend and I watching it every week we could. I recall being disappointed (we didn't care for WWE), but I seem to remember people expecting it to happen so it wasn't really a shock?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
The N64 games got me back into wrestling. Friends that I played the game with didn't have cable so they expected weekly reports from me. I started out watching WCW, but soon after I would start switching between WCW and WWE. By the time of the buyout I was primarily watching WWE.
It was probably a little funny to hear me talk because I had no idea who some of these wrestlers were so I wasn't very reverent in my descriptions of them.

I was a sucker for Goldberg and record.

I kinda enjoyed the buyout at first, but after they acquired ECW the whole thing started to fizzle and I very quickly lost interest.
Poor Rey Mysterio

cIhFukx.gif

When I say "poor," I actually mean, "fuck yeah you deserved that shit for not being in the nWo"
I love the way they described it as "threw him like a dart" in an interview.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sheeeeeit, has it been that long?

For some reason I still remember those commercials for WCW PPV where a madman would yell at you through the TV:

"WCW NWO UNCENSORED"

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I barely remember any WCW stuff even though I watched so much wrestling in the early and mid 90s. I was a WWF fan almost exclusively. Makes me wonder what good shit I missed.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Vince decided to end the Attitude Era because he didn't need to do so with no competition left. That really did seem to start the decline of wrestling's popularity in the states.
I don't think there was ever a conscious decision to "end the Attitude Era" from WWF at the time. All this stuff about defining and delineate "eras" of wrestling (WWF/E wrestling specifically) is really only done with the benefit of hindsight. The reality simply is that Austin turning heel because he wanted to refresh his character after being a babyface for the past 4 years, The Rock leaving for a couple of months to film his first big movie, and the WWF buying their competition and the subsequent invasion angle make for X-Seven to be a good capper to the Attitude Era story in the popular version of wrestling history despite the fact that many wrestlers of that era, as well as the violent, raunchy, "car crash TV" presentation that defined it persisted for years afterwords.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Vince decided to end the Attitude Era because he didn't need to do so with no competition left. That really did seem to start the decline of wrestling's popularity in the states.
It was the unofficial end and it kinda is. A lot of people also consider XIX the end of the Attitude Era and start of the Ruthless Aggression Era.

Honestly, 9/11 changed so much things maybe it was best it all ended that week.

Also ECW was on it's last days that week too.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Good memories. I got into wrestling with the Monday Night Wars and then my interest started fading after the final Nitro. I've watched at an arms-length since.

Say what you want about Starrcade 97 but the buildup to Sting / Hogan was fantastic. All of the Nitros that ended with Sting appearances or Sting/NWO brawls were awesome.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
oh man, I loved when WCW gave away RAW results every week when it was taped. 😂

And the time Rick Rude appeared on both shows on the same night.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The lasting memory I have of this is how millions of people just stopped watching wrestling pretty much over night and the WWF/E got no bump in viewership from it.

Worst thing to happen to the business after the demise of the territory system.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The lasting memory I have of this is how millions of people just stopped watching wrestling pretty much over night and the WWF/E got no bump in viewership from it.

Worst thing to happen to the business after the demise of the territory system.

The big factors were

*Austin heel
*Rock leaving to film Scorpion King
*The WCW/WWF thing didn't start off immediately
*2 Man Power Trip

The final nail was how botched the Invasion was.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The big factors were

*Austin heel
*Rock leaving to film Scorpion King
*The WCW/WWF thing didn't start off immediately
*2 Man Power Trip

The final nail was how botched the Invasion was.
Still, their viewership didn't drop sharply from that either but they got nothing, next to nothing from WCW folding when it comes to increased viewership. The Invasion being a disaster for Vince to stroke his ego to and all that more turned off people who had been watching the product before WCW went under.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, WCW only cost 4.2 million? That's nuts.
Most of the big-named talents were signed with Turner directly rather than WCW, the highly valuable prime-time TV shows on TNT and TBS were all cancelled, and the value of the tape library still hadn't been fully realized yet. Also, Stuart Snyder, WWF's COO at the time was a former Turner exec, so there was almost certainly a bit of collusion to give the WWF a good deal.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
I got in trouble for writing "WCW sucks" in chalk on the playground in like 2nd grade and then the company folded. Coincidence? I think not.