• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Thread talking about the final days of WCW leading up to the last episode of Nitro:

For 29 years, WCW, and its forerunner Georgia Championship Wrestling, had been affiliated with Ted Turner's television networks, TBS and TNT. But now, Turner Broadcasting's parent company, AOL Time Warner, had decided to stop broadcasting WCW. The conventional wisdom among wrestling fans was that the company felt professional wrestling evoked a proletarian flavor that diminished its brand.

As a result, WWE head Vince McMahon was able to purchase the company's copyrights and extensive tape library for a paltry total of $4.2 million.

When the final episode of WCW Monday Nitro ended on March 26th, 2001, so would the Monday Night War with WWE's Raw program that had roared since 1995. For the last time, both shows were going to air simultaneously on different networks.

Let's remember the good times of WCW, friends!

242t0MI.gif

rOx3PbG.gif

Oct 28, 2017
It brought a lot of great stuff to the wrestling industry but taken as a whole, WCW was two years of excellent wrestling bookended by many years of constant trainwrecks.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, this wasn't a generation ago this was like...last year, right? I'm not middle aged, I'm still in my 20s, right? Right??

Anyway, happy anniversary to what could have been the start of one of the greatest plot-lines in wrestling history, but was very much not.
Dueling Nitro and Raw? those were the days

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using this series as background material while working the last few weeks

Oct 29, 2017
It brought a lot of great stuff to the wrestling industry but taken as a whole, WCW was two years of excellent wrestling bookended by many years of constant trainwrecks.
I would have to disagree with you. Nitro was entertaining until late 99. And I consider World Championship Wrestling the 6:05 show as part of the promotion too. The 6:05 show was the best wrestling program of my lifetime.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Marks who know its a work get worked into a shoot by marks who are in on the shoot by marks with no knowledge of shoot. Marks.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Me and my brother would watch every episode of Nitro and Thunder back in the late 90's and early 00's. It was a mess towards the end but I still miss WCW to this day.

Oct 29, 2017
I remember watching this with an friend. I was so mad because Eric Bischoff was talking about bringing in Toryumon wrestlers. I was heavy into that promotion at the time.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
And to this day WWE will go out of their way to gleefully mock WCW at every opportunity whilst simultaneously not learning from their demise by making every single mistake and error that put them out of business.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fair, accurate assessment, but in those couple of good years WCW basically rewrote the book on pro wrestling television, introduced multiple future stars and innovative wrestling styles to a national audience, made wrestling hip and relevant after spending the first half of the 90s as dorky and out of touch and kicked off quite possibly the biggest boom period the business has ever seen. And, even at it's worst, it served as an important counter-balance to the WWF/E that was sorely missed during the following 2 decades.

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
WCW was so great when they had strong midcard/cruiserweight matches. They just never bothered to elevate any of them. Had to keep bringing in relics from the past to pop a rating.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
This was beyond epic when this first happened as the two universes collided after everything that has happened in wrestling from 95-01. I had no idea just how bad this would be botched. Imagine if Vince used that XFL money and put it into the Invasion?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a WCW Saturday Night TV taping in 1998. It was during their first Canada tour the day after the first Nitro in Toronto. Things I remember:

-Raven was in a tag team at the time(I forget with who) and they played his entrance music when the team came out and he got a massive pop. WCW didn't want that, so they reshot the entrance with the other guys music and got a smaller pop they could edit out(since Raven was heel at the time)
-Chris Jericho cut the exact same promo he did on Nitro the night before but he got away with it because Nitro aired on Wednesdays at 4pm in Canada so no one had seen that Nitro yet.
-The TV taping was like March 25th and the matches didn't air until May.
-Booker T got the biggest pop of the night
-No Bret Hart:( Never got to see Bret wrestle live(Well I watched him beat the Miz for the US title live but that doesn't count).

TSN aired Raw and Nitro in Canada Tuesday and Wednesday 4-6pm. If they happened to have no Hockey, or baseball or whatever to air on a Monday they would air Raw live most of the time. I think Nitro got aired live once when they had one of those vacancies and Raw was preempted for something.

When Nitro expanded to 3 hours, it was still only given it's 4pm-6pm timeslot and a whole hour was edited out.

Disco Inferno, Alex Wright and Tokyo Magnum were under utilized.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I remember being happy as hell when i heard the news. I thought we'd see all of those dream matches right away, but didn't know how contracts worked at the time because was a young teen. Looking back in hindsight, i wish wcw was still around.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was beyond epic when this first happened as the two universes collided after everything that has happened in wrestling from 95-01. I had no idea just how bad this would be botched. Imagine if Vince used that XFL money and put it into the Invasion?
I remember being happy as hell when i heard the news. I thought we'd see all of those dream matches right away, but didn't know how contracts worked at the time because was a young teen.
The Invasion PPV apparently made enough money to fund buying out all the contracts of the WCW stars signed directly to Turner but they still chose to just keep going with what they had.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Booker's expression! Priceless.

I remember watching the last episode live.

Funny enough I didn't get back into wrestling from the original New Generation Era until the week after the Finger Point of Doom. So I basically missed all the Golden age of WCW. Still it's a promotion I stayed with until the end. I didn't even follow WWE for anything other than switch over to see how well the Radicalz were doing.

I came for my nostalgia and stayed for a lot of the wrestlers that WCW has to offer. Billy Kidman, Booker T, Vampiro and others. I was sad to see it go.

And let's not speak of the Invasion and it's aftermath.

Brian Zane of Wrestling With Regret actually reviewed the final epsidoe of Nitro recently funny enough.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Darn I tried to find a compilation of the worst moment of Mark Madden and came up empty. Though while looking through the results he certainly is still an asshole.

Oct 29, 2017
This is the first time I'm hearing this, but it sounds on brand for Vince.

WCW's 96-97 were its best years IMO. You can see it slowly die in 98 when they split up the NWO. I just couldn't buy into the storyline anymore.
I would say 89 was the best year. 94 was pretty good too up to Hogan's arrival. If we're going the entire run, 1986 was the best run in any company for me personally.

Jun 14, 2019
Poor Rey Mysterio

cIhFukx.gif

When I say "poor," I actually mean, "fuck yeah you deserved that shit for not being in the nWo"

Last edited: