• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm still calling the dancing baby the first meme though. It was even on Ally McBeal, everyone knew about it.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This meme has aged amazingly well. No hint of hateful stereotypes that appeared in certain other recent memes.

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, I was already out of school and working when this dropped. I feel old now.
Is this what young folk mean when they say "it hits you in the feels?"
Or are they just talking bout fornicating?

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was already too old to care about memes when this started happening everywhere on the internet.

Depressing.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I loved watching that at my middle school library. This was also a great video from the late 90s/early 00s:

Limless

Jan 7, 2021
In the time this meme's existed someone could've had a kid, that kid grows up, becoming legally an adult then they have their own kid.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Wow......I was in college back then and all the gamers were in on it. 20 years....

There was a version that rhymed with Doors' "Light My Fire" tune that I've looked for all over the net, but never found again.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
isnt there a difference between "engrish" (replacing L's with R's and making fun of non native English speaker's accents, that sort of thing) and just a bad translation?
I doubt there's an authority on this, but I feel like awkward/bad translations from Asia also get caught in the Engrish umbrella?

Honestly I was mostly grasping at straws lol, I don't think anyone who find this meme funny is being malicious

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt there's an authority on this, but I feel like awkward/bad translations from Asia also get caught in the Engrish umbrella?

Honestly I was mostly grasping at straws lol, I don't think anyone who find this meme funny is being malicious

It's sad that we even have to think about this lol. Some really vile stuff is out there unfortunately.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

no I get what you are saying and I had to think about it myself, ultimately like with most of these things I would 100% defer to the people potentially impacted by it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Move zig for great justice.

This can't be only 20 years old right? I'm pretty sure I watched it in high school, which means it was late nineties, not early noughties.

Edit Was already mentioned I guess, but yeah the invasion of the gabber robots song was also already mid to late nineties, you know, when gabber was a thing.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Hey man, Zero Wing is RAD and everyone should play it

MOVE ZIG MOVE ZIG
FOR GREAT JUSTICE TAKE OFF EVERY ZIG

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I still play the game every now and again. Outside of the memes it's a pretty good shoot 'em up with rockin' tunes.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
If you want to be technically correct (the best kind of correct), the first viral meme actually appeared in the 1940s.
I think you could make a case for 23 skidoo. At least one of the origins of OK would arguably also fit.

It's probably best to stick with internet memes when looking for the first one, otherwise you'll have to push the origins back to like cave paintings (and I bet there were some pretty funny hunter-gatherer memes predating even those).

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
My name is Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy...
I think you could make a case for 23 skidoo. At least one of the origins of OK would arguably also fit.

It's probably best to stick with internet memes when looking for the first one, otherwise you'll have to push the origins back to like cave paintings (and I bet there were some pretty funny hunter-gatherer memes predating even those).

There are many recurrent drawing in volumes written by medieval monks that we have no clue of what they are about, bu they recur even in very differents part of Europe. They could be classified as the first memes.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow I knew it would be this and I only found out through Albino Blacksheep.

The photoshops are really impressive considering the resolution of images people had to work with and the tools not having the features they have today.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking this was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Man, I was a kid

Yeah I remember laughing really hard at those back then too. Not sure what I found funny.

Although I remember being impressed at the photoshop skill and creativity at some of those.

I was in on that trend at the time, being frequent on SA back then. AT least one of my photoshops are in that video. (Highway Sign @ :44), maybe another. I remember hanging out in my dorm room and making them, including a newspaper classified one, but I can't find it in the video. None of this can be proven, of course. All that stuff was lost to time, as was this meme.

Lol that's awesome. I didn't post on SA but I read through the mega thread for laughs for a while.

I remember there was some "international tourist"(can't remember the name) people would photoshop into pictures not too long after. I remember some tasteless photoshops of 9/11 with him.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I had this more-than-10 year old meme video in a folder somewhere and I uploaded it a few years back.

Might also tickle the nostalgia zone a bit. I'd love to find the song used in this.