• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
20 years ago today, Konami released the arcade successor to their wildly popular beatmania rhythm series. Up until this point, the original game was a solid foothold in Japanese arcades, bringing unique music focusing on House and Hip-Hop. Who knows why, but somebody decided that beatmania would be a lot more fun with 2 extra buttons and if you stood on a sub-woofer while you played. The result is one of the best arcade machine designs in history.
04.jpg

IIDX started producing music with a significant slant towards other electronic genres including Trance and Jungle. One of the earliest games linked with compatible DDR machines (DDR Club Mix/IIDX Club Mix), creating a unique experience where the music pumping through the game would actually come from the performance of the IIDX player. This was only for a single version and didn't continue further.

Starting with IIDX 3rd Style, the games started to port to PS2 versions with their own snazzy controller. For many who didn't live in Japan or had an arcade nearby, the IIDX controller was the only way to play.
51YG24D3PGL.jpg

The game did get a US port simply called beatmania. It came packaged with an improved controller and sported an older interface and rather muted song selection. It didn't sell well and reviewed horribly as the US music game scene was taken over by Guitar Hero at this point. Combined with some really bizarre game decisions that put this version far behind the ones released in Japan, it was not a good introduction for US players. I guess this quote from the X-Play review says it all:
"I think this is the beginning of the era of lame Guitar Hero rip-offs" - X-Play

After 13 releases on the PS2, the game continued with arcade releases. The newest release, IIDX 26: Rootage, is spectacular. There are a huge variety of music genres represented, a near infinite skill ceiling, and the return of mutli-player Arena mode. If you have a Round1 arcade around you, take a moment to try the game out, if you haven't, and see what makes IIDX a mainstay in the music game community.

Many of your favorite DDR songs probably came from IIDX. Things like A, Colors, V, Red Zone, Bloody Tears, Vanessa, and a whole ton of others are all IIDX transplants.

So, people of ResetEra, do you have any favorite IIDX tracks? Any good IIDX memories?

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best rhythm game series. I'm really hoping that a Round1 location opens near me so I can get back in it... All I have access to now is my PS2 controller and a LR2 which is no where near the same experience. I love watching YouTube clips of great players!

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Great OP! Favorite IIDX tracks are hands down Red Zone, Eco-ji, tripping contact, No Doubt Get Loud, Wonder Girl, Speedy Cat, Mermaid Girl, Vanessa, Crack-ER and Strong Women just to name a few. After pIaying for just about 17 years, I'm still horrible at the game by just about getting through some Hyper 9 songs in Rootage. Still believe this game continually has the hardest learning curve out of just about all of BEMANI, but it doesn't stop a lot of people from grinding.

First time playing the game was on IIDX 5th Style on PS2 that somebody brought to a tournament back in 2001 and I was so intimidated that I didn't bother playing again until IIDX 6th Style. I got more serious into playing it then, by going to an arcade in Rhode Island that had a machine and picking up the games on PS2 myself. The tracks in 7th Style for me have been more memorable, but once IIDX 11 RED was introduced, it began the wave of theming music with the overall design of the style. I think I have about 55 games currently played since IIDX Rootage was released at Round..

Last edited:

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
My favorite Bemani series! Been playing ever since 2002.

It's too bad there are no more CS releases, I used to look forward to those every year. I remember having to mod that awful KOC turntable. Thankfully, I have a Round 1 nearby where I can play the latest. I also have a DJ Dao FP7 at home. I need to dust it off and play some 7th Style.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
20 years. Damn. I was introduced to 3rd Style at Ultrazone in the San Gabriel Valley here in SoCal. I was hooked. Tried the PS2 controller at TGS and played all the Bemani games in arcades there. Did the mods to stop the damn stuck button problem. Met some of the Japan players that were pretty famous back then too (Koshiru, ZTT, Jiro, Banakazu, etc.). I pretty much 100% immersed myself in music games at the time. Bought stuff like a djdao controller and CF pad. Never thought it would fade! What a time that was. :)

OP
OP
SecretCharacter

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey, I didn't know you were on here RSP. Good stuff.

Was too busy making the OP to actually add my experiences here:
- Started playing after a friend of mine showed me 4th style. I borrowed his controller and played that for a while but never passed anything above a 3. My father knew I was in love with the game and, to my absolute shock, imported a controller for Christmas that year along with 6th Style.
- Played every style like it was a religion up until 16 Empress. Then the arcade I was managing paired up with a machine owner and we suddenly had an 8th style arcade machine that I was managing. The first song I played on it? Lab, volume cranked to the max.
- That machine eventually got upgraded to Empress, as we couldn't acquire the hardware to go to Resort Anthem at the time. After playing just about every day on an arcade machine, I could eventually pass 11s. I did pass a couple 12s, but then I had a pretty major car accident that took away a lot of endurance in my right hand.
- Played on the regular with HOOD, who would absolutely destroy my scores on my save file. I mean, I couldn't even pass AA [A], let alone AAA it. Max -80 something stupid like that.

I now go to Round1 when I can. It's about an hour away, but I get my fix. Current favorite songs are Hades, OD20, Serious? and Midnight Lady. The new OMES in Rootage is stupid and I'm actually kind I don't have the pressure to grind it out here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
IIDX is so fucking legendary few people know Beatmania III was a thing.

Also who wants licenced music when you have

SHE

IS

MY

WAIFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey, I didn't know you were on here RSP. Good stuff. The new OMES in Rootage is stupid and I'm actually kind I don't have the pressure to grind it out here.

Yooo!

Yeah watching all the Japanese players play it yesterday via Twitter was certainly something else. I think it took a few hours until somebody ended up clearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSzobPCzOcU

Here's the video for people wondering. I'm pretty sure they just took the hardest parts of boss songs and combined it. Thought April Fools stuff was only for SDVX, heh.

Asylum Warden

Jun 1, 2018
Despite loving rhythm games in general, I could never get into IIDX. I enjoy playing it sometimes, but not enough to get really good at it. Scratching the record with my pinky always feels clumsy.

Lots of respect for the series' influence, though.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I spent so much money on Konamistyle LEs over the years (avatar is proof), and while I sort of regret not dropping a quarter grand on the Empress LE, it's tempered somewhat by the fact that Konami abandoned CS releases for IIDX afterwards. Sota and L.E.D.'s albums are two of my favorites in my vast music collection and Takamura's artbook is possibly the coolest piece of game merch I own.

OP
OP
SecretCharacter

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Yooo!

Yeah watching all the Japanese players play it yesterday via Twitter was certainly something else. I think it took a few hours until somebody ended up clearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSzobPCzOcU

Here's the video for people wondering. I'm pretty sure they just took the hardest parts of boss songs and combined it. Thought April Fools stuff was only for SDVX, heh.
I hear very obvious Himiko, Nageki no Ki, and Beach Side Bunny callbacks. The Himiko chord runs are so brutal.

Buck

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, played it almost daily for about five years on PS2 despite the fact that I'm not super talented at it. I think it has the best mix of challenge and fun that I've ever encountered in a music game.

I still listen to a lot of the music since I got their big box set of IIDX music that they released around 2010 that has most of the tracks up to Empress. My favorite tracks are the techno ones from RAM, but I like the fact that there's a lot of variety in the musical styles in the game.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
There's a new IIDX cab already? The hell? It still feels like Cannonballers just dropped.

OP
OP
SecretCharacter

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
For North America for sure. Only because the upgrade kits took months to get here. When I lived in Massachusetts, our Round1 got the kit about 2-3 months after the game dropped in Japan.
Cannon Ballers used new hardware from Sinobuz, which is why it took longer than usual. Rootage was like a week after it came out in Japan because it was all download. DDR A20 will be the same way. A week or so of Gold Cabinet exclusivity and then it will download to all machines on e-amusement.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best rhythm game.

I got on board with IIDX 6th Style on PS2, around Christmas 2002? A couple years later I was off to college and was completely blindsided when I found I'd have easy access to IIDX and Pop'n cabinets. Such good memories. And I love the rare occasions I can get to a Round1 and play more recent versions.

To this day I've never really gone beyond clearing 9s.

If there was a straightforward way to play newer entries at home these days (the Japan-only monthly subscription game is a little too out there for me) I'd happily grab a new controller and go to town.

youuuu can
dancing and

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I was heavy into the DDR scene in the early 2000s but every time I watched a high level player doing this game, my brain would catch on fire. Mad respect for those guys.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I must say that I haven't follow much BMIIDX after Empress, as there's no way for me to keep up once they stopped doing the CS versions.

The same with Pop'n'Music. They never made it to the HD era on consoles. I guess it's just too niche to worth the effort.

RemyVJA

Nov 27, 2017
Jersey City, NJ
Probably goes without saying that IIDX (and everything that came out of it in my world – VJ Army, Pop'n Navy, RemyWiki) was a pretty significant chapter of my gaming life, and introduced me to a whole lot of friends I wouldn't have met otherwise.

Being in upstate NY, I didn't have any ability to get into the game until 6th CS, which I loved the hell out of. I then picked back through 3rd/4th/5th, and was on the ground for the weird lobbying that happened around 7th and 8th Style. Ever since moving to NYC, I've only seen cabs here twice - and the one at the revived Chinatown Fair vanished about a year ago, sadly.

I'm still hoping against all rational thought that Konami wakes up and does an internationally-workable version of Infinitas. I would more than happily give them my money, but I am past the point of trying to set up what feels like an elaborate money laundering scheme to pay for the current version.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Not my cup of tea personally, but I'm glad it gave birth to the whole Bemani series. Very fond and still active DDR player and have to give props to IIDX for the amazing music it keeps producing.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I wish there was a current-gen home version for this series, along with Pop'n.
My local Round1 has a great setup and I don't go often enough.
The scene is still alive!