• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So as we deduced 4 third party million sellers at the end of the last financial year, that's 11 in total after 22 months on the market. EDIT: total may be incomplete due to titles reaching a million across rather than within two financial periods.

An interesting historical comparison - the Wii had 21 third party million sellers in roughly the same time frame.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania Plus and the corresponding packaged release were this FY.
True but I still doubt that Sonic Mania sold over a million copies on Switch this FY. Lifetime? For sure. Combined Sonic Mania Plus with all consoles? Very plausible. But not only on switch and not for a year old game, no matter how much the Plus in Sonic Mania brought to the table.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
So as we deduced 4 third party million sellers at the end of the last financial year, that's 11 in total after 22 months on the market.

An interesting historical comparison - the Wii had 21 third party million sellers in roughly the same time frame.
That's excluding games that sold 1M between 2017 and 2018 though: 2017 numbers are just for 2017 (duh) and the 20 titles figure is just for the last 9 months, so if a game did over 1M LT but not over 1M in either 2017 or 2018 it's not counting.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's excluding games that sold 1M between 2017 and 2018 though: 2017 numbers are just for 2017 (duh) and the 20 titles figure is just for the last 9 months, so if a game did over 1M LT but not over 1M in either 2017 or 2018 it's not counting.

Good point, edited post.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
True but I still doubt that Sonic Mania sold over a million copies on Switch this FY. Lifetime? For sure. Combined Sonic Mania Plus with all consoles? Very plausible. But not only on switch and not for a year old game, no matter how much the Plus in Sonic Mania brought to the table.
I agree it seems unlikely this FY but not impossible. Many fans probably likely double dipped on the packaged release and physical still does well with a larger casual audience.

All versions combined were confirmed to have cleared a million last FY too but we don't know more than that. Switch version most likely led sales but that hasn't been confirmed either.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the point ZhugeEX is trying to make is that it had first-party marketing (in addition to NOA publishing it), which obviously played a significant role in the overseas sales of the game.

I mean aside from being featured in Nintendo Direct's, which it probably would have been anyway, I don't recall Nintendo doing any real big TV marketing for it. Like Dragon Quest IX on DS had lots of marketing from Nintendo in the West with the Seth Green TV spots. But past that OT is just a Square-Enix game that Nintendo distributed in the West.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's published by Nintendo. Therefore it's a first party title.

Nintendo list it as such in their financials.

I would specify this as people usually tend to see these titles as third parties.

So when you say "only 7 are third parties" well yes because you don't include third party games published games which are a lot given the high costs of production for retail versions or the close relationships between Nintendo and Square Enix, Bandai Namco,...

Go Vacation, Dragon Quest Builders, the musou games, Octopath Traveler,... are all considered first party in this case.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So FIFA sells like 3% on switch and people are pointing at it as a million seller? What?

A more realistic guess would be monster Hunter, Sonic mania plus, the MegaMan collection, etc...

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If 7 other non-Nintendo published games from April-Dec could hit 1 million copies, I think it's safe to say Octopath Traveller was going to hit 1+ million regardless of who distributed the game in the West.

If something like Dead Cells is putting up a million plus, Octopath as one of the biggest Switch exclusives of the summer was always likely to get there. I don't think the publisher made any big difference in this case.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So FIFA sells like 3% on switch and people are pointing at it as a million seller? What?

A more realistic guess would be monster Hunter, Sonic mania plus, the MegaMan collection, etc...
No not really. Fifa 18 was the 2nd best selling 3rd party game in 2017 in France and sold about 75k in 3 months without digital.

FIFA 19 did even better.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Isn't that number only relevant to the UK? In Japan for example a helluva lot more than 3% of FIFA's sales come from the Switch version.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree it seems unlikely this FY but not impossible. Many fans probably likely double dipped on the packaged release and physical still does well with a larger casual audience
Im pretty sure If Mania sold that many, Sonic media would tweet about that. They were pretty upfront with Mania success.

I would love to know that it's true though. Such a great game.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

If MHGU did 1m we'll know about it soon enough. It did 300k last FY though (Japan) so even if it does make Capcom's platinum charts it'll need to be at 1.3m+ to qualify for this FY.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Only packaged software is counted in Nintendo's financials, he is right. Games without a physical copy wouldn't be counted.
That part was right but there still are indies with physical releases. My current bet on the 7 are.

South Park: Fractured But Whole
Dead Cells
Overcooked 2
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
South Park Stick of Truth
Dragon Ball FighterZ
FIFA 19

It's a 3rd party title.
In this case it doesn't matter. When nintendo listed the million sellers they counted Octopath as one of their games. The unknown 7 games haven't been disclosed yet.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Im pretty sure If Mania sold that many, Sonic media would tweet about that. They were pretty upfront with Mania success.

I would love to know that it's true though. Such a great game.
Yeah, I think it's unlikely for this FY. I do think the Switch version will pass 1m lifetime though and all versions will pass 2.5m. It's going to be a game with legs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think FIFA 18 is more likely to be a million seller than FIFA 19 ... FIFA 18 was available all through the World Cup window. If its FIFA 19, that's very impressive given that it wasn't even available for a large chunk of the fiscal year.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Expect Mario & Rabbids to be one of them - has been on sale quite a few times throughout the year both at retail and digital. Would be curious to know lifetime sales of it - must be around 3 million by now? Absolutely incredible result. Hope we get another team up with that Ubisoft studio and Nintendo

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
I'm pretty sure for these four :

Minecraft
Crash Bandicoot,
Just Dance 2019
Diablo 3

Perhaps :

Fifa 2019, Lego the incredibles, Starlink