• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The facts were indisputable: President Trump had lost.

But Trump refused to see it that way. Sequestered in the White House and brooding out of public view after his election defeat, rageful and at times delirious in a torrent of private conversations, Trump was, in the telling of one close adviser, like "Mad King George, muttering, 'I won. I won. I won.' "

However cleareyed Trump's aides may have been about his loss to President-elect Joe Biden, many of them nonetheless indulged their boss and encouraged him to keep fighting with legal appeals. They were "happy to scratch his itch," this adviser said. "If he thinks he won, it's like, 'Shh . . . we won't tell him.' "

The 20 days between the election on Nov. 3 and the greenlighting of Biden's transition exemplified some of the hallmarks of life in Trump's White House: a government paralyzed by the president's fragile emotional state; advisers nourishing his fables; expletive-laden feuds between factions of aides and advisers; and a pernicious blurring of truth and fantasy.

Though Trump ultimately failed in his quest to steal the election, his weeks-long jeremiad succeeded in undermining faith in elections and the legitimacy of Biden's victory.

This account of one of the final chapters in Trump's presidency is based on interviews with 32 senior administration officials, campaign aides and other advisers to the president, as well as other key figures in his legal fight, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to share details about private discussions and to candidly assess the situation.

In the days after the election, as Trump scrambled for an escape hatch from reality, the president largely ignored his campaign staff and the professional lawyers who had guided him through the Russia investigation and the impeachment trial, as well as the army of attorneys who stood ready to file legitimate court challenges.

Instead, Trump empowered loyalists who were willing to tell him what he wanted to hear — that he would have won in a landslide had the election not been rigged and stolen — and then to sacrifice their reputations by waging a campaign in courtrooms and in the media to convince the public of that delusion.

Tensions within Trump's team came to a head that weekend, when Giuliani and Ellis staged what the senior administration official called "a hostile takeover" of what remained of the Trump campaign.

On the afternoon of Nov. 13, a Friday, Trump called Giuliani from the Oval Office while other advisers were present, including Vice President Pence; White House counsel Pat Cipollone; Johnny McEntee, the director of presidential personnel; and Clark.

Giuliani, who was on speakerphone, told the president that he could win and that his other advisers were lying to him about his chances. Clark called Giuliani an expletive and said he was feeding the president bad information. The meeting ended without a clear path, according to people familiar with the discussion.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
This account of one of the final chapters in Trump's presidency is based on interviews with 32 senior administration officials, campaign aides and other advisers to the president

32 gutless cowards who were willing and complicit in weakening public trust in American elections so they can preserve their already worthless jobs. If there is a hell, it should have a special place in it for these traitors.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
If Trump's administration is made into a documentary series, I wonder how many seasons it'd take to cover all of his fuckery.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
This article is nightmare fuel. Hard to believe how close we came to the end of democracy.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
However cleareyed Trump's aides may have been about his loss to President-elect Joe Biden, many of them nonetheless indulged their boss and encouraged him to keep fighting with legal appeals. They were "happy to scratch his itch," this adviser said. "If he thinks he won, it's like, 'Shh . . . we won't tell him.' "
Fuck every single one of these people. Just as bad as Donny Dump.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being one of his aides and having to try to explain to him the legal concept of standing.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
32 gutless cowards who were willing and complicit in weakening public trust in American elections so they can preserve their already worthless jobs. If there is a hell, it should have a special place in it for these traitors.
Here here! Great first post, I couldn't have said it better myself! There are so many gentle enablers that need to be held accountable in this failed "business man as president" expirement that gave voice to half the nation's racist fervor and weak minded conspiracies.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
At this point, and as this article shows, Trump is basically fucking crazy, and always has been. If he wasn't born into money, I doubt he'd be able to function in life, as he would alienate everybody around him, and would not be able to function in a normal job. In the position he holds, this is fucking terrifying. He could do anything, and i mean anything to avoid looking like he has been anything but the greatest person the world has ever seen, and those around him are too scared to stand up to him as it would highlight their own failings.

I hope there are safeguards, or at least someone nearby him that could "intervene" if he were to attempt to do anything truly horrific.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Whew. What an article.

Multiple staffers and allies told him encourage mail in voting, especially for seniors. He completely ignored (even though he votes by mail lol) and went with his conspiracy nonsense anyway. Even when they presented him with evidence.

This man is a complete idiot.

The Republican Georgia SoS was harassed and family was threatened btw. Some of these Trump fans are scum.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Trump also was given several presentations by his campaign advisers about the likely surge in mail-in ballots — in part because many Americans felt safer during the pandemic voting by mail than in person — and was told they would go overwhelmingly against him, according to a former campaign official.
Advisers and allies, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), encouraged Trump to try to close the gap in mail-in voting, arguing that he would need some of his voters, primarily seniors, to vote early by mail. But Trump instead exhorted his supporters not to vote by mail, claiming they could not trust that their ballots would be counted.

"It was sort of insane," the former campaign official said.

Ultimately, it was the late count of mail-in ballots that erased Trump's early leads in Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and other battleground states and propelled Biden to victory. As Trump watched his margins shrink and then reverse, he became enraged, and he saw a conspiracy at play.
"You really have to understand Trump's psychology," said Anthony Scaramucci, a longtime Trump associate and former White House communications director who is now estranged from the president. "The classic symptoms of an outsider is, there has to be a conspiracy. It's not my shortcomings, but there's a cabal against me. That's why he's prone to these conspiracy theories."

Pure carney.

The strategy, according to a second senior administration official, was, "Anyone who is willing to go out and say, 'They stole it,' roll them out. Rudy Giuliani, Jenna Ellis, Sidney Powell. Send [former acting director of national intelligence] Ric Grenell out West. Send [American Conservative Union Chairman] Matt Schlapp somewhere. Just roll everybody up who is willing to do it into a clown car, and when it's time for a press conference, roll them out."

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
But Trump refused to see it that way. Sequestered in the White House and brooding out of public view after his election defeat, rageful and at times delirious in a torrent of private conversations, Trump was, in the telling of one close adviser, like "Mad King George, muttering, 'I won. I won. I won.' "
Now THAT is Trump Derangement syndrome.