• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game is the superior adaptation of the Dungeons and Dragons formula?

• Dragon Quest XII

Votes: 66 52.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls V

Votes: 59 47.2%

• Total voters

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
DRAGON QUEST XII
DF2UVaPUMAAZV0m.jpg

versus-vs-logo-battle-headline-template-sparkling-lightning-design_159025-56.jpg

THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
635981.jpg

Two RPGs hailing from two separate continents, only one can be crowned the king of... adapting the Dungeons and Dragons formula into an interactive visual format.

Which, in your opinion, pulls it off best?

A quick Wikipedia search for D&D describes the experience as such:

A Dungeon Master (DM) serves as the game's referee and storyteller, while maintaining the setting in which the adventures occur, and playing the role of the inhabitants of the game world. The characters form a party and they interact with the setting's inhabitants and each other. Together they solve dilemmas, engage in battles, explore, and gather treasure and knowledge. In the process, the characters earn experience points (XP) in order to rise in levels, and become increasingly powerful over a series of separate gaming sessions.

So, in order to be a proper adaptation of D&D in an interactive medium, the game should probably feature the following components:
  • An adventurous story
  • Meaningful interactions with characters including party members
  • Exploration resulting in battles, treasure hunting, and world-building
  • Character building through gaining experience points
Okay, so which game pulls off these features best?

On paper, my gut wants to say Skyrim. It provides an authentic feeling fantasy setting for the game, allows for you to build your own character's story in any way you see fit, and features a girth of caves, castles, plains, and more to explore at your own will to help tell your own story. The game even provides you with non-combat oriented stats, such as speech and sneaking, which allow you greater flexibility to role-play your character as you see fit.

However, the game does not, in fact, have any party management. You can hire people to fight alongside you and there are quests which involve you teaming up with others, but that's the closest it gets to emulating that aspect of the D&D formula.

Perhaps an argument can be made that Dragon Quest XII is the superior adaptation of following a D&D story, while Skyrim adapts the experience of being the DM, in a way?

What do you guys think? I am undecided on the matter, and must seek upon ERA to form an opinion.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why wouldn't stuff like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity 2 etc be valid? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love DQ and Elder Scrolls (and the former is probably my favourite JRPG in the last 20 years), but they are two of the most accessible and popular JRPGs/WRPGs respectively, not necessarily the most fitting for the criteria here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon's Dogma was originally conceived as a sequel to Capcom's D&D games. And we have Baldur's Gate, a direct adaptation.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Weird juxtaposition! Skyrim may not have a party, but it emulates the dynamic storytelling and a dynamic world that I associate with tabletop RPGs better than DQ11, in which the world has a lot of character but it is all monodimensional and only reacts to the player at predefined moments, like a set. As a result, the feeling of being on an adventure and being an agent in the world is far stronger in Skyrim in the moment to moment play. In addition to that, you're able to mold your character more than what DQ (or any JRPG really) allows you to do, and the world is actually reactive to your character choices unlike in DQ.

Last edited:

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Of the two listed (assuming DQXI), Skyrim is the better D&D "adaptation". DQXI is a better game though

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Sorry but those games just don't cut it and i do love both.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a weird way to describe either of those games. Like asking which of Gran Turismo or Forza is a better adaptation of Speed Racer.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Based on the choices given it's probably Skyrim but there are actual games out there that seek to replicate D&D a lot more.

Baldur's Gate 3 is on steam right now.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest is much closer to a traditional DND campaign, with having a full party with specialized roles, turn based combat, episodic adventures that gradually tie into a larger narrative complete with plot coupons, and overall more high fantasy feel to it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither of these are remotely like DnD. What the hell.

I guess Skyrim, but people are gonna choose DQ11 because it's a far superior game

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
D&D... Dragon Quest and Skyrim?

???

I you're really ignorant of modern day CRPGs or just don't care about indies in general, you should at least aware of the existence of Dragon Age Origins, right? It's the closest one to D&D.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Divinity: Original Sin 2 looks exactly how I'd expect D&D blended with modern video game conventions to look like, so that's my answer.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
The answer is Baldur's Gate 2 - though BG3 is looking like a fairly good adaptation of D&D rules so far as well.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
D&D... Dragon Quest and Skyrim?

???

I you're really ignorant of modern day CRPGs or just don't care about indies in general, you should at least aware of the existence of Dragon Age Origins, right? It's the closest one to D&D.
Nah. D&D doesn't do the epic quest, hero's journey, save the world type stories that dominate the CRPG scene. It produces picaresque stories. I think the closest I can think of is the latest Yakuza game.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
The DM in Skyrim must have been a bit high cause the storytelling is quite jank.

I'd say neither.
Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, Baldur's Gate 2, Divinity: Original Sin feels a lot more closer to D&D.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. D&D doesn't do the epic quest, hero's journey, save the world type stories that dominate the CRPG scene. It produces picaresque stories. I think the closest I can think of is the latest Yakuza game.

Actually, that's really not a bad shout for getting the right sort of scope.

I've often thought that there's scope out there for an episodic CRPG, where each episode expands the world with new content, but unlike many other episodic games, the individual episodes aren't discrete from each other; each one piles new places and environments on top of the existing world.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While Dragon Quest XII doesn't exist yet, I'm confident enough to say it'll be better than whatever other poll option you can throw up.

Oct 12, 2020
Dragon Quest is inspired by Wizardry and Ultima, Yuuji Horii never said, that he had any connection to classic Pen n' Paper RPGs.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Voted Dragon Quest just because the game is actually good, as opposed to Skyrim's mediocrity despite the immense praise and popularity of it (even here).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
So the thing about Dungeons and Dragons is yes it has a lot of rules for combat and various actions you perform but the real major component is the actual role playing. You're inhabiting a character in another world. Players can potentially think of so many creative ways to solve problems.

The best western RPGs try to emulate this the best way they can by giving you a lot of different solutions to quests since its impossible to let the player do anything. JRPGs don't generally do this, the story and quests typically play out one way and one way only.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Actually, that's really not a bad shout for getting the right sort of scope.

I've often thought that there's scope out there for an episodic CRPG, where each episode expands the world with new content, but unlike many other episodic games, the individual episodes aren't discrete from each other; each one piles new places and environments on top of the existing world.
I would love an episodic game like that, but it's hard to imagine any studios releasing a game in that way. I agree though, that's probably the best way to actually emulate the feel of D&D.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
very VERY confusing poll choices, and not because Dragon Quest XII isn't out yet.

my vote goes to Dragone Dogma.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Dragon Quest 11 (not 12) was pretty boring. I quit halfway through. Seemed like a fun light kids cartoon story, which of course is a fine thing to be, but just not to me.

Weird game comparison anyway. The real answer is Divinity Original Sin 2

Nov 4, 2017
Why would somebody go so far out of their way to prove they have never played any edition of Dungeons & Dragons ever? I don't mean to sound gate-keepy, but nothing about either of those games reminds me of D&D outside of the fact that both have dungeons and dragons in them.

For my money it's DoS2, probably about to get toppled by BGIII (I'm waiting for the full release), mainly because I like turn based stuff.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Why would somebody go so far out of their way to prove they have never played any edition of Dungeons & Dragons ever? I don't mean to sound gate-keepy, but nothing about either of those games reminds me of D&D outside of the fact that both have dungeons and dragons in them.

For my money it's DoS2, probably about to get toppled by BGIII (I'm waiting for the full release), mainly because I like turn based stuff.

I think the charitable answer is that D&D can be a lot of different things to different people and so can probably map onto a bunch of different experiences. If someone just wants to get some campaign books and have their DM run them step-by-step as written it could potentially play out like a more traditional jRPG. I don't know how often that happens really, though, and I think the "spirit" of D&D is much more in the unstructured storylines and chaos causes by imaginative players, and wRPGs tend to try to emulate that more.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
These are not the game choices I expected from reading the thread title. The OP obviously needs to expand their gaming catalog.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Of those two, Skyrim is closer to the spirit of D&D in that it allows for emergent roleplaying. Whereas DQ is just a story you are watching without much agency on how it plays out (if any).

As many others have said there are much better examples of actual adaptations of D&D. One of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned here is the Shadowrun Returns series.

Nov 3, 2017
Thought this was going to be a Baldurs Gate 3 vs Solasta Crown of the Magister thread. Both games in early access explicitly using D&D 5E rules.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Neither. I adore both of those games--seriously, they're a couple of my favorite games--but I don't connect them to D&D at all, and that's coming from a longtime Dungeon Master.

Thought this was going to be a Baldurs Gate 3 vs Solasta Crown of the Magister thread. Both games in early access explicitly using D&D 5E rules.
I know Solasta is explicitly using the OGL SRD rules and content, but I thought Baldur's Gate was using their own rules rules inspired by 5th Edition? There are certainly some liberties, such as attacking with mage hand (at least in the early demos, I don't know if that's changed). The D&D license they're using has more to do with the use of characters, races, setting, and monsters.

Last edited: