• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Link

Death on Everest after Indian and American climbers become stuck in 200-person summit traffic jam

A huge queue of climbers near the summit of Mount Everest may have caused at least one of two deaths on the world's highest mountain.

More than 200 climbers were taking advantage of clear weather on Wednesday to attempt to reach the summit from both Nepal and China, but teams had to line up for hours, risking frostbite and altitude sickness.

An American and Indian climber are the latest fatalities, their expedition organisers said, on one of the busiest-ever days on the 8,848m-peak.

c2877708-7d3c-11e9-8126-9d0e63452fe9_image_hires_013622.jpg

This pic... Is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people bother. "I can't wait to do what hundreds of people have done before me, and litter the face of a mountain with trash and possibly my corpse!"

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell. It really doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment when you still have to line up like Disneyland.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
With the amount of deaths that happen on Everest due to it's fame, how in the hell is this shit not regulated?

How can this even happen? How can you have over 200 people in a line, near the summit? This whole thing is bananas, and I look forward to more info about this.

My condolences to the families of the lost climbers, this is a terrible way to lose a loved one.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What's even the point anymore? I could understand when it was the first person, but now it doesn't feel much like a unique accomplishment.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
That is beyond ridiculous. I would so cancel that if I was the Nepal and Chinese Governments, except maybe 1 expedition a month or something. They won't because money.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing's ever really driven home to me just how trivial the process of climbing Everest is like that picture just now did.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
People are nuts

Because it's not inane in any way and takes years of practice, climbing, and intensive training to do it? I mean 4% of the people that climb it die.

is this a joke post? majority of the climber are just rich and should no where near the Everest. They pay close to 100 thousand to companies and sharpas literally babysit them to the top risking their lives for money because there isn't much to do for them in Nepal. They really need to stop giving permits to everyone.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people bother. "I can't wait to do what hundreds of people have done before me, and litter the face of a mountain with trash and possibly my corpse!"
What's even the point anymore? I could understand when it was the first person, but now it doesn't feel much like a unique accomplishment.
How inane. What is even the point?

"Because it's there"

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
jesus that picture

it aint like it used to be thats for sure

"hurry up im dyin here!"

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's the highest point on the planet and it's a huge accomplishment to do it?

They can always go climb Chimborazo and claim technical points for the highest peak from the center of the earth and not die in a queue.

Part of the whole problem with deaths on Everest is tons of people are trying for the summit who should never be doing it because there's the profit motive, and that contributes to this stuff. You can do what you want with your life, but that doesn't stop me from thinking it's a foolish way to risk it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Because it's not inane in any way and takes years of practice, climbing, and intensive training to do it? I mean 4% of the people that climb it die.
You don't think that huge line of people is inane in any way? Where's the exclusivity and sense of accomplishment to waiting in line to reach the top like you're at a theme park, lol?

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
You don't think that huge line of people is inane in any way? Where's the exclusivity and sense of accomplishment to waiting in line to reach the top like you're at a theme park, lol?
To be fair, their stlstill like 24000 feet above sea level.

They can always go climb Chimborazo and claim technical points for the highest peak from the center of the earth and not die in a queue.

Part of the whole problem with deaths on Everest is tons of people are trying for the summit who should never be doing it because there's the profit motive, and that contributes to this stuff. You can do what you want with your life, but that doesn't stop me from thinking it's a foolish way to risk it.
How much can I make as an adventurer?

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, I lined up for Everest too. It was at Disneyworld, but I'm sure it was a lot more fun then what those idiots are going through. I got a Yeti and everything.

Jul 18, 2018
You mean the years of $ they saved up so they can risk their lives and also the lives of the local Sherpas. EVERYONE forgets about the Sherpas. All for sake of folk to claim they climbed it when it's not even the most difficult mountain range. Not even including the environmental damage that Everest climbing tourism has done to the area

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
It's basically just an amusement park for the super rich. Disgusting. They sure have made this mountain their bitch.

main-qimg-ccc7bf6c6c1d6da0d627786b402b6888.webp

Empty-Gas-Cooking-Canisters-at-Everest-Camp-4-1024x644.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, their stlstill like 24000 feet above sea level.

How much can I make as an adventurer?

No idea what the economics for well-known climbers are, but I'm talking about the outfitting companies. Part of the whole '96 Everest disaster was due to companies taking people on who really should have been there because that's thousands of dollars these people are paying to guides, and even back then there were traffic jams causing issues and putting more people at risk. It clearly has only gotten worse.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Omg for what. You're having your hand held the entire way. Too dumb to have that much expendable money.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The queuing does in fact look ridiculous.

But the climbing Mt.Everest itself surely still requires at least a modicum of training, dedication and the view should also be worth it too... right?

I really don't want to think of it like queuing up for rides at Disneyland gah.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's the highest point on the planet and it's a huge accomplishment to do it?
yeah i think the 200 person deep line to get to that point pretty much completely takes away from how magnanimous an achievement it is. congratulations, you can afford to get to the top of a mountain. really pushing the needle for human accomplishment there

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
High price point aside, it is still a admirable endeavour. Certainly more fulfilling than complaining about the GOT ending, guessing game review scores , complaining about game review scores.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
High price point aside, it is still a admirable endeavour. Certainly more fulfilling than complaining about the GOT ending, guessing game review scores , complaining about game review scores.
but still not as fulfilling as cataloging every Flamin' Hot snack product

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this particularly admirable? Because it requires training or it's dangerous? That doesn't make something admirable.