• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately even in that case it's not like America's going to get a candidate everyone's happy with. The DNC picking a nominee for us is a great way to encourage a huge chunk of the voting bloc to stay home. We're kinda screwed either way at this point.

Really, the only ideal timeline would be one where he never ran at all.
I ultimately don't see this really changing the public's mind, but who knows.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like discussing the functional difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault as a test of moral and character is splitting hairs. Either should have been enough to disqualify joe biden as the man to lead the charge in literally the most important election of our generation.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like discussing the functional difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault as a test of moral and character is splitting hairs. Either should have been enough to disqualify joe biden as the man to lead the charge in literally the most important election of our generation.

Uh well it might be the split hairs people cling to as we literally face an existential crisis

less

Oct 25, 2017

It should have but people don't give a shit. Polling done (where the people being polled watched an interview by Tata) shows that a majority don't believe that Biden should step down. I think that those who strongly believe he should step down + somewhat believe he should step down doesn't even cross 30%.

Oct 25, 2017
It was obviously a rhetorical question. Sure, there are some people that believe neither, but at least on era, I think most of us at least believe the harassment allegations are largely credible.

So now, nothing really matters? If everything she's said so far is verifiable, except the actual rape, then we should just assume she's lying about that part? And everything Biden and his staff said turns out to be a lie, we should still believe that he's telling the truth about not raping her?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I ultimately don't see this really changing the public's mind, but who knows.

I just can't imagine a situation where people would be happy with the DNC picking a new nominee. If Bernie gets picked, the people who hate him will be mad, and if Bernie DOESN'T get picked, his fans will scream that he got screwed over by the DNC and they'll be miserable.

It's a huge bummer. We don't really have a sensible second choice right now, so the ideal would've been a situation where Biden was never involved at all.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't imagine a situation where people would be happy with the DNC picking a new nominee. If Bernie gets picked, the people who hate him will be mad, and if Bernie DOESN'T get picked, his fans will scream that he got screwed over by the DNC and they'll be miserable.

It's a huge bummer. We don't really have a sensible second choice right now, so the ideal would've been a situation where Biden was never involved at all.
I meant this won't change people voting Biden. Especially getting deeper into the pandemic and recession. People are going to get more desperate.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of the people in the video looked uncomfortable the whole time they were there in the room. Probably because of the unfamiliar formal occasion. He is trying to make them feel less uncomfortable. Some of them start smiling after a while.
There's a difference between being generally uncomfortable and being uncomfortable when someone is forcing themselves on you. It's also not the only time he's done this on camera

DenseFlusteredCoqui-size_restricted.gif

That is not an accident. Okay it doesn't have much relevance to the allegations but I don't understand defending those gifs.

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone can stop defending the Biden gifs even he has said it was wrong FYI
I still think there was no harmful intent, but in this day and age it is preferable to prevent even the slightest hint of something inappropriate.

All politicians have stopped doing these photo-ops. What was once expected behaviour of a politician has now become a political minefield.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
There's a difference between being generally uncomfortable and being uncomfortable when someone is forcing themselves on you. It's also not the only time he's done this on camera

That is not an accident. Okay it doesn't have much relevance to the allegations but I don't understand defending those gifs.

Does this person work for him now though? That would make it OK apparently

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
So now, nothing really matters? If everything she's said so far is verifiable, except the actual rape, then we should just assume she's lying about that part? And everything Biden and his staff said turns out to be a lie, we should still believe that he's telling the truth about not raping her?
I think we should release the documents from the national archive like Tara asked. I do believe her harassment claims, but I think it's pretty clear it is a separate incident from the assault allegation. One is about a coworker asking her to serve drinks and inappropriately commenting on her legs, while the other is about rape -- both need to be taken seriously, but I think it's clear why we shouldn't conflate these two events. Corroboration for harassment is not the same as corroboration for rape, even if both are bad.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
She was visibly uncomfortable, you'd have to be blind to not see it, I'm not claiming he scarred her for life but it was inappropriate and your attempt to pretend she wasn't uncomfortable in the moment because as an adult she's making use of family connections is just silly

You have no idea if she was uncomfortable because of Biden, or because of all the cameras on her, or if she was just having a bad day. She might have not been uncomfortable at all—she might just look that way normally. You are creating the narrative you want.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea if she was uncomfortable because of Biden, or because of all the cameras on her, or if she was just having a bad day. She might have not been uncomfortable at all—she might just look that way normally. You are creating the narrative you want.

Yep. This site did blast an allegation that was quickly disproven because many had already made the assumption he must have done because he must be a pedophile even though he never he even attended the event that the alleged harassment occurred at.

OP
OP

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Thats the argument you're going with? Really? You do realise that the exact same argument could be made about you?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
There are two Separate Allegations at the moment. The 1993-2019 Allegation that she Endured Harassment at the hand of Staffers etc. in Joe Biden's Office. This divorce document backs up the 1993-2019 Allegations of Harassments in the office.

Her recent Escalation to outright Sexual Assault is an entirely different matter.
I'm pretty sure Joe Biden is the one who escalated his harassment to sexual assault, not Reade.

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017

You people seriously think he is copping a feel with a little girl?!?

Get your mind out of the gutter, I'd say. Disgusting.

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should release the documents from the national archive like Tara asked. I do believe her harassment claims, but I think it's pretty clear it is a separate incident from the assault allegation. One is about a coworker asking her to serve drinks and inappropriately commenting on her legs, while the other is about rape -- both need to be taken seriously, but I think it's clear why we shouldn't conflate these two events. Corroboration for harassment is not the same as corroboration for rape, even if both are bad.

I don't see them as separate events at all. Back in the day, both events would have been treated roughly the same. No point in going into the uncomfortable details when it wouldn't have been considered by most as rape/assault unless there were ripped clothes and bruises. It's about the way she was treated by a powerful man, without regard to her as a human.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Either you claim you believe Tara Reade and bask in the moral superiority of voting for a rapist because apparently we're willing to compromise on even something like rape the moment things get dicey.

Or you claim you believe Tara Reade and bask in the moral superiority of not voting against the other rapist whose policies are currently killing thousands of Americans and will kill many more.

What a lovely world we live in. :/ At least this can get people to stop questioning the harassment part.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Trump needs to go. I am voting for the person that is not trump. I value my life and sanity.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm not posting links because she's a private citizen and she doesn't have to say anything if she doesn't want to—but 30 seconds of internet searching showed me that she's currently working for the Biden campaign.

People should stop posting that gif.
That doesn't really prove anything. Unfortunately we live in an economical system where people will have to do things like work with a former abuser in order to boost their resume

Even so, I sort of agree that those gifs maybe shouldn't be posted everywhere but for a completely different reason. It seems pretty disrespectful towards the victims to spread footage of their abuse without their explicit consent

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but voters were already aware of an allegation of sexual harassment in Senator Joe Biden's office (not necessarily by Joe Biden himself) since she'd come forward last year around the same time other women were also coming forward about feeling uncomfortable with Joe Biden's touching.

The allegation of sexual assault is the one that came out *after* Super Tuesday, and it's this latter allegation that people are suggesting should invalidate the results of the primaries.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
As I said in the other thread, this, along with all of her prior statements make it pretty clear *something* that made her uncomfortable in Biden's office happened. That story has been consistent from the 90's through 2019, from her own statements to statements to friends, etc. I know Biden made a general statement last year about his touching or however it was phrased, but I believe some sort of specific acknowledgement to Reade is warranted.

That being said, the consistency of this story up until this March IMO puts the new allegation on somewhat shakier ground.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Either you claim you believe Tara Reade and bask in the moral superiority of voting for a rapist because apparently we're willing to compromise on even something like rape the moment things get dicey.

Or you claim you believe Tara Reade and bask in the moral superiority of not voting against the other rapist whose policies are currently killing thousands of Americans and will kill many more.

What a lovely world we live in. :/ At least this can get people to stop questioning the harassment part.
It sucks, but when it comes down to survival instinct, people make a choice.

Oct 25, 2017

All of the analysis of zoomed in slow motion gifs of kids while they know they are on TV feels super disingenuous.

Do I believe he's like a lot of old people and thinks he's trying to make people who are nervous comfortable?

It's either that or he's a sociopathic pedophile and is groping kids in front of a bunch of people while he knows he's being filmed.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep at least one went on and on about needing the context and when finally provided with said context didn't say a fucking word about it

I know plenty of fathers that have excused creepy behaviour from their friends towards their daughters despite the fact the daughters were actually incredibly uncomfortable so this isn't that convincing
Sure, but perhaps we should focus on the actual credible accusation rather than the one that doesn't exist that people have created in their head. What's more likely, Biden is sexually assaulting people on camera and in front of people, or is this a typical reaction of a teenager with an old person?

I think it does disservice to Tara Reade that people pass around these gifs like some tin foil conspiracy when no one in them has accused Biden of anything, and in some cases the women in them have already refuted them. It cheapens her case. If the interaction between Maggie Coons and Biden is innocuous, then all people are doing is putting women in the line of fire for no reason, and/or weaponizing their image when they have not asked for it, nor want the attention. The line of thinking this particular image has already quickly quickly shifted since most didn't even know who this girl was, so of course now her father and mother are being accused of covering for "pedophile" Biden which is ridiculous.

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017
You have to be trolling, I refuse to believe you're doing the whole "you're the real perverts" argument in good faith
OK. Last post about this subject. I am not trolling and I don't think you are perverts, although even entertaining the thought that Biden is a pedophile because of these images is really weird. I just think people are too easily manipulated.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah i never saw these gifs as evidence of anything either

Being touchy grandpa doesnt make you a child abusing sexual deviant. Just someone with shitty personal space awareness

To conflate this behavior as something sexually motivated and done on camera with deliberate intent? This is a distraction and has already been called out in the threadmark

All of the analysis of zoomed in slow motion gifs of kids while they know they are on TV feels super disingenuous.

Do I believe he's like a lot of old people and thinks he's trying to make people who are nervous comfortable?

It's either that or he's a sociopathic pedophile and is groping kids in front of a bunch of people while he knows he's being filmed.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I freaking hope not but the man can't keep his hands to himself around young girls. Whatever his motives it's creepy and (in my opinion) very inappropriate. Anyway this is getting off topic, sorry for posting the gif.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

If these gifs establish a pattern of predatory behavior ("If that's how he behaves in public, then I can't imagine how he is in private!") then surely Tara Reade wouldn't be the only woman to have been raped by Biden.

Which raises the question (and this is a point that was also made in the Vox article posted earlier): Out of all the woman who were already brave enough to come forward about Joe Biden's touching making them feel uncomfortable, why does Tara Reade's accusation of rape stand in isolation?

It's entirely conceivable that Joe Biden only raped *one* woman, and that that woman was Tara Reade--you're still a rapist even if you "only" raped one woman--, but then doesn't that contradict the claim that the creepy Biden gifs establish a pattern of someone who is a serial sexual harasser and assaulter?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Thank this reply was what I was missing from my Biden bingo card. Bingo...
I wasn't even saying what you probably think I was. I just find the "America is over" bullshit takes super asinine and self-defeating and not even true for that matter. If America is "over" then nothing matters, no one needs to do anything, and we can just consign all the suffering happening *right now* to hey this is just the way things are. But obviously that is not the case, so people shouldn't act like it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not knowing how this is all going to play out is really not a great feeling.

I have absolutely not idea how this will end.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
I don't see them as separate events at all. Back in the day, both events would have been treated roughly the same. No point in going into the uncomfortable details when it wouldn't have been considered by most as rape/assault unless there were ripped clothes and bruises. It's about the way she was treated by a powerful man, without regard to her as a human.
Well, one is about something a coworker said to Reade and the other is about being assaulted. They're definitely two different events. Unless you mean "corroborating" evidence just to mean "evidence of inappropriate behavior" in general?

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh great

Politically motivated hitmen from the other side are now getting involved.

They couldn't hire an independent council to handle these proceedings?

Grabbing a Trump opportunist is ugly with something this charged.

Just a Trump donor or active supporter?
Worth noting this lawyer has experience with representing Weinstein's victims too.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Reade has said for weeks that she was struggling to find a lawyer willing to represent her. She's accused Biden of sexually assaulting her in 1993, when she worked on his Senate staff. He has denied her allegation.

Wigdor is well known for his work on prominent cases related to sexual harassment and assault. He represented six women who accused Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced Hollywood producer, of sexual misconduct. He has also represented a number of Fox News employees in cases alleging gender and racial discrimination at the network.

Wigdor has been a supporter of Trump and provided about $55,000 in campaign contributions in 2016, according to Federal Election Commission records. He has also supported some Democratic politicians, including New York Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, and has not donated to either Trump's or Biden's 2020 campaign.

This all seems reasonable though?

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017

Exactly what I wanted to articulate, thank you.

I really hope goalposts aren't moved with this one.