• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
A court document from 1996 shows former Senate staffer Tara Reade told her ex-husband she was sexually harassed while working for Joe Biden in 1993.

The declaration — exclusively obtained by The Tribune in San Luis Obispo, California — does not say Biden committed the harassment nor does it mention Reade's more recent allegations of sexual assault.

Reade's then-husband Theodore Dronen wrote the court declaration. Dronen at the time was contesting a restraining order Reade filed against him days after he filed for divorce, Superior Court records show.

In it, he writes Reade told him about "a problem she was having at work regarding sexual harassment, in U.S. Senator Joe Biden's office."

It appears to be the only written record that has surfaced from the time that substantiates Reade shared her account in the years following the alleged incident, though a former neighbor came forward last week about similar conversations she said she had with Reade in 1995.

Current response from Biden's campaign:

RESPONSE TO THE COURT DOCUMENT

Asked for comment Thursday, the national press secretary for Biden's presidential campaign, T.J. Ducklo, said the campaign is not commenting on the latest development at this time.

However, the campaign did provide a comment from Ted Kaufman, who was Biden's chief of staff at the time.

"I have consistently said what is the truth here — that she never came to me," Kaufman said. "I do not remember her, and had she come to me in any of these circumstances, I would remember her. But I do not, because she did not."

Full article can be found here:

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/politics-government/article242527331.html/

EDIT: Since most probably won't read the article in full, going to add this as well:

reade%20dec%20grab%20jpeg.JPG

Feel this information warrants its own thread, as its the first written corroboration to Tara's allegations.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling in a sensitive thread
I know how this thread is going to go, but Wow. Can't wait for people to tell us this is not a big deal, Russian plant, this election is about more. Why did she wait to bring this up now, why is her memory so fuzzy. She liked his tweets after this happened so it is not a big deal.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something something, blue no matter who.

Politics is a fucking mess, jesus. The American public could have picked anyone in the primaries, and this is the horse they're backing?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Pretty shocking most major media outlets missed this, court documents you would think is one of the first things you check.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Ok so I was confused until I read the article. The headline should be more like:

Reade 1996 divorce court document notates sexual harassment problem

At first I thought it was the actual harassment claim itself, which isn't the case

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fucking idiots. i said back in march they should find a new nominee. just so stupid to double down while this was out there.

hey, guess what? she's probably not lying about this.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Much like the CNN tape this helps paint a clear picture that Reade is credible but it mentions harrasment in his office.

Getting a substantiation that Bidens former staff is lying about a complaint filed is still the key.

Has there been any movement on the records? Or are we still in the 'no can't have em' phase?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty shocking most major media outlets missed this, court documents you would think is one of the first things you check.

Seems a local reporter got it. Probably had to go to the local court to get access to them.

An abusive ex-husband using claims of previous harrasment as proof that Reade was lying about him is the *weirdest* place for this to have come up. Good work on the reporters part.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the fact that it says "sexual harassment" and not just ambiguous harassment is really, really surprising. I thought Biden was being forthcoming with the documents because there wouldn't be anything concrete.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
literally nobody doubts this part of the story. There is mountains of evidence that she told people she felt mistreated at work. It's not the claim that has her in the spotlight as she has never even claimed Biden was aware of this

this part of the claim was:
Biden made her uncomfortable by touching her
Someone (not Biden) told her Biden liked her legs and wanted her to serve cocktails
She complained and was later sidelined and quit
Biden probably doesn't know why she left (her words) because he didn't bother to know anyone

Biden has admitted violating people's personal space and making them uncomfortable

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the fact that it says "sexual harassment" and not just ambiguous harassment is really, really surprising. I thought Biden was being forthcoming with the documents because there wouldn't be anything concrete.

well this doesn't show any documents exist. This only tells us what Reade told her ex-husband contemporaneously.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'd understand if we had already had the convention, and it was official, etc... but I can't understand why all these people can just sweep it under the rug now. It would still be horrible in a post convention setting, but it is amazing that more of the established dem leadership (including people like Bernie, Warren, etc) don't want to even talk about it.

Oct 29, 2017
Something something, blue no matter who.

Politics is a fucking mess, jesus. The American public could have picked anyone in the primaries, and this is the horse they're backing?

20 fucking candidates across the political spectrum, and voters, the media and the party itself floated Biden despite the football field of red flags surrounding him--even before Tara's allegation gained traction.

And now people are acting like we're still stuck with him despite all this, even though the contest is still ongoing. It's just mind boggling.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

It might be case where the actually documents/complaints from Tara herself dont include any meniton of sexual harrassment, I dont think they were expecting it to show up in divorce case proceedings.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
The evidence piles up. Bring in Hercule Poirot
mMOlq1k.gif

I believe Tara
I know how this thread is going to go, but Wow. Can't wait for people to tell us this is not a big deal, Russian plant, this election is about more. Why did she wait to bring this up now, why is her memory so fuzzy. She liked his tweets after this happened so it is not a big deal.
Don't forget people saying Obama's vetting was spotless or Obama would never overlook something like this.
www.cnn.com

Obama team fully vetted Biden in 2008 and found no hint of former aide's allegation | CNN

Had any credible issue been raised, you can be sure Biden would not have been the nominee. Obama would not have tolerated it, even if he and Biden were close then, which they were not, writes David Axelrod.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not that record. It's from her divorce
It might be case where the actually documents/complaints from Tara herself dont include any meniton of sexual harrassment, I dont think they were expecting it to show up in divorce case proceedings.
No. Read the article. This is corroboration that she told other people in the 90s about sexual harassment at Joe Biden's office.

Gotcha, should have read closer.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I see, so to be clear this court document is not related to what documents Biden was saying should be investigated right?
There are two allegations at play here. The first one, which she has been making since last year, is that she was exposed to harassment in Joe Biden's office. This harassment took the form of Joe Biden's aides trying to get her to serve drinks because, according to them, Joe Biden 'liked her legs', and also took the form of Joe Biden himself touching her on the neck, arm, and shoulders.

The allegation that Joe Biden pushed her against a wall and forcibly kissed and digitally penetrated her is an entirely new allegation that she had not made until somewhere around mid-March of this year.

These documents corroborate, and basically confirm, the former allegations, but not the latter.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
literally nobody doubts this part of the story. There is mountains of evidence that she told people she felt mistreated at work. It's not the claim that has her in the spotlight as she has never even claimed Biden was aware of this

this part of the claim was:
Biden made her uncomfortable by touching her
Someone (not Biden) told her he liked her legs and wanted her to serve cocktails
She complained and was later sidelined and quit
Biden probably doesn't know why she left (her words) because he didn't bother to know anyone

Biden has admitted violating people's personal space and making them uncomfortable
Yea I'm a little confused on why people are acting like this is a smoking gun. Plus it Doesn't actually name Biden

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Are people still questioning whether is happened or not? Because I think it's pretty likely that Biden did commit the assault. She sounds credible to me. It doesn't change the fact we have to vote for the scumbag in order to get the 1000 times worse scumbag out. God it sucks that he's the only fucking choice. And yet he's still so, so much better than Trump. Sad so see Tara Read dragged through the mud, but that's politics 101. Both Trump and Bill Clinton are great examples that. i.e how politicians will further hurt women just so they can stay in power. Fucking gross shit.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for this Democratic voters*
This back-and-forth is NOT helpful in this thread. (But as it's being brought up, it should be noted the Democratic establishment knowingly coalesced behind Biden -- as soon as he showed signs of life in winning SC. It is legitimate to speculate that Obama and other leadership figures made a calculated series of calls to Buttigieg and Klobuchar, and potentially Warren, to drop out and endorse Biden. The buck stops with the voters, but voters are impressionable and vulnerable.)

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
There is a pretty clear pattern of events here. I don't know how anyone could look away from this.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I think to the average voter, this new revelation isn't going to matter much. It isn't really a smoking gun in any way. If she was sexually assaulted then I'd think it's something she would have told her husband while they were married...and it doesn't even specifically mention Biden. Unfortunately it seems like this will continue to be a he said/she said until there's an official investigation.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are people still questioning whether is happened or not? Because I think it's pretty likely that Biden did commit the assault. She sounds credible to me. It doesn't change the fact we have to vote for the scumbag in order to get the 1000 times worse scumbag out. God it sucks that he's the only fucking choice. And yet he's still so, so much better than Trump. Sad so see Tara Read dragged through the mud, but that's politics 101. Both Trump and Bill Clinton are great examples that. i.e how politicians will further hurt women just so they can stay in power. Fucking gross shit.
People will jump through all sorts of mental hoops. First it's "it didn't happen", then it's "it probably didn't happen", "okay maybe something happened but it wasn't as bad as she said [no assault], she changed her story", then finally it'll be "even if it happened we don't care"

OP
OP

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Yea I'm a little confused on why people are acting like this is a smoking gun. Plus it Doesn't actually name Biden
Nobody is saying its a smoking gun?
Yes, a pretty sizeable amount of people who post on the Tara threads actively think she is lying and aren't very slick about trying to hide it.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
this will be dragged out and the goal posts will slide from here to 'i guess it could have happened but it's too close to november now so i guess it no longer matters!'

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
My goodness, he needs to drop out. Voting Is made pretty difficult for Americans. I would certainly not be voting for Biden if I was able to vote. You vote for individuals which meet your public policy ideals and who you agree with, not for sexual harassers.