• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which movie?

Votes: 104 13.9%
  • Parasite

Votes: 643 86.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Subject and setting maybe. I've never been interested in war movies. Not saying they suck, I just don't get the urge in me to be like "I gotta see this."
I feel you, generally not a huge fan of war movies but 1917 is definitely one of the best I've seen.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
1917 because it doesn't abruptly become another genre for the third act. Films need to be consistent for me to consider them great, and Parasite just loses me when it decides to stop being funny and become ultra-violent melodrama for thirty minutes. The epilogue is admittedly very endearing, but man does the third act just drop everything that made the first two acts great.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I believe it. There's a chance I'll see it if it's on streaming if my film bro makes me do it. You can't get me in the theater if I don't care but I'll do it at the house.
Better have a big TV then, a lot of my enjoyment came from the visuals lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
1917 because it doesn't abruptly become another genre for the third act. Films need to be consistent for me to consider them great, and Parasite just loses me when it decides to stop being funny and become ultra-violent melodrama for thirty minutes. The epilogue is admittedly very endearing, but man does the third act just drop everything that made the first two acts great.
You found the epilogue of Parasite endearing?

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
You found the epilogue of Parasite endearing?
I did, yeah.
The daughter dying is a hugely unnecessary bummer, but the son dreaming of working hard and earning lots of money to one day buy that mansion and be reunited with his father was super touching, even if it is ultimately a naive and unattainable dream.
It feels wistful and bittersweet in a way.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did, yeah.
The daughter dying is a hugely unnecessary bummer, but the son dreaming of working hard and earning lots of money to one day buy that mansion and be reunited with his father was super touching, even if it is ultimately a naive and unattainable dream.
It feels wistful and bittersweet in a way.
Ultimately not being able to escape his shackles. Father and son indebted to each other with false hope.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
1917. Good film just finished it. Plot was simple, but didn't bother me.Technically the film was great, sets, costumes, camera etc. Deakins is the master so film looked incredible, however I thing this whole "one shot" thing will be the main take away, and the main reason this wins any cinematography awards.

Where as something like Parasite, does so much with the camera and will be overlooked.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Parasite was the best movie of the year imo. I liked 1917, it was frequently good to great, and what Deakins did on it is super impressive even if ultimately I think the one-take gimmickry detracts more from the experience than adds to it. But I just don't think that film will stick with me as long as Parasite will, and certainly wasn't as impactful in the moment.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Parasite. 1917, fantastic production values aside I found dramatically inert and a bit dull compared to something like Dunkirk, which felt like there was tension around the stakes involved.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
1917 is an amazing piece of cinema and Deakins should get 2nd Oscar for it, seriously. Some scenes are so amazing.

But as a movie overall (story, acting, emotions) Parasite is better IMO. I just still don't understand why it's nominated in main category. So why other great foreign pictures aren't? It's like only directors who have some ties to Hollywood get nominated outside of International Movie, lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see any ultra violence nor extreme genre switch, the final part felt like an eruption of all the things boiling under the surface and built to it steadily.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority and enjoyed 1917 more.

Parasite was a great film, but it didn't land for me the way I was hoping it did. I watched it after all the massive hype around it exploded, and I guess I was just expecting more. In the end it still ended up being a good movie, but it didn't resonate with me in the way 1917 did.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I was bored as hell watching 1917, the only thing I liked was the cinematography. It was basically another Dunkirk for me

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nobody would care about 1917 if it weren't for the "one take" effect. Parasite is something special.
"Nobody would care about this movie if it weren't for a pretty big stylistic choice" is pretty funny, especially when the soundtrack, cinematography and acting are all really solid as well.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Finally saw 1917 this week. It's a solid war film, but Parasite was my favorite film of last year.

As far as war films go, 1917 isn't even amazing - just good.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Parasite is an absolute cinematic masterpiece with an original story, poignant themes, masterful cinematography, a gorgeous color palette, and an ensemble cast that works in tandem perfectly together. 1917 is a dull war movie with thin as line characters/narrative doing a gimmick Birdman did better five years earlier. The answer is obvious.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Parasite for sure. I think it's already been said before on here how much of a masterpiece it is.

But 1917 was also incredible. I really appreciated the "show don't tell" approach they took with the storytelling. A lot of movies would've chosen to explain character motivations or include tidbits of exposition to try and make you care for the main characters more but 1917 forgoes all that and does it all visually. Would not be mad if it won the Oscar for BP but I'd prefer if Parasite won it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
1917 is better than Green Book at least lol
I mean, yeah, but Green Book is one of the worst Oscar winners in recent years lol.

For me it's on the lower end of this year's BP noms. It's better than Joker and Ford v. Ferrari, but it's nothing special either. It's the "The Post" or "Darkest Hour" of 2019.

It looks very nice, but that's the only really noteworthy thing in it. Sure, as you said, the acting and soundtrack is fine, but it's far from Top 10 material of the year and the script is just your standard "Big, Emotional War Story"-script that we've seen a million times before.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
1917 is a fine film elevated by Roger Deakins, Parasite is the best film of the past decade. it's not even a contest

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite. 1917 is really good but it's not even the best war movie of the year

Justice for A Hidden Life!

1917 is an overhyped standard war film that's only bring propped up because of the whole "one-shot."

Saying "1917 is overhyped except for the excellent filmmaking" is kinda missing the point.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Parasite is the better work all around, but I think that underplaying the craft involved in 1917 is kind of a disservice. Yeah, it's a rather barebones story serving mostly as a vehicle for the cinematography, but I think those kinds of films, the simple but technical cinema as visual craft in its highest form, are worth celebrating. It's Oscar bait, but it's good Oscar bait.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Parasite was the best movie of the year imo. I liked 1917, it was frequently good to great, and what Deakins did on it is super impressive even if ultimately I think the one-take gimmickry detracts more from the experience than adds to it. But I just don't think that film will stick with me as long as Parasite will, and certainly wasn't as impactful in the moment.

Really? I thought it helped the movie tremendously. It added so much to the overall atmosphere and tension.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Handmaiden is still better than Parasite, but Parasite should win.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I watched Parasite on Saturday night and saw 1917 in the theater on Sunday (yesterday).
I think they were both great films. 1917 might be one of the great war movies ever made, and did have a huge emotional impact on me, but Parasite seems wholly unique, and mind blowing, and as such, I voted Parasite.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't see any ultra violence nor extreme genre switch, the final part felt like an eruption of all the things boiling under the surface and built to it steadily.
The tonal shift is briefly foreshadowed in the driving scene, but overall the tone radically shifts in the third act when the movie abruptly stops being funny/low stakes and goes full drama/high stakes.
Through the first and second acts, they're still the opportunistic family of con artists that would happily freeload on fumigation even if it means living in it, but in the third act they're hopeless, crying about personal failure, and contemplating murder.
While the film is thematically consistent, there's a tonal departure that makes it very uneven. Had the film remained a black comedy throughout it'd be my film of the year. Instead, I ended up preferring more consistent films like 1917, The Lighthouse, and Knives Out that didn't leave me contemplating what the film could have done better.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The tonal shift is briefly foreshadowed in the driving scene, but overall the tone radically shifts in the third act when the movie abruptly stops being funny/low stakes and goes full drama/high stakes.
Through the first and second acts, they're still the opportunistic family of con artists that would happily freeload on fumigation even if it means living in it, but in the third act they're hopeless, crying about personal failure, and contemplating murder.
While the film is thematically consistent, there's a tonal departure that makes it very uneven. Had the film remained a black comedy throughout it'd be my film of the year. Instead, I ended up preferring more consistent films like 1917, The Lighthouse, and Knives Out that didn't leave me contemplating what the film could have done better.
I disagre that the tone radically shifts, the film steadily builds to the release that occurs and for a while before is bubbling under the surface ready to explode.

That "tone change" is not some "radical shift" and simply just the inevitable explosion of all these actions accumulating.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I disagre that the tone radically shifts, the film steadily builds to the release that occurs and for a while before is bubbling under the surface ready to explode.

That "tone change" is not some "radical shift" and simply just the inevitable explosion of all these actions accumulating.
Feels like you're dancing around the fact that the first two acts are hilarious and the third act is deadly serious. This is the tonal shift that really bums me out, especially considering there are so many ways the third act could've gone that would maintain the momentum of the black comedy. I agree there was an "inevitable explosion" coming, I just think it could've executed in a more comedic and less heavy handed way.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like you're dancing around the fact that the first two acts are hilarious and the third act is deadly serious. This is the tonal shift that really bums me out, especially considering there are so many ways the third act could've gone that would maintain the momentum of the black comedy. I agree there was an "inevitable explosion" coming, I just think it could've executed in a more comedic and less heavy handed way.
Not dancing around anything, but nice posturing lol.

The first two acts were not hilarious to me either, that is subjective. The first two acts were a dark comedy that was very, very clearly slowly building to an eruption. That doesn't make the inevitable eruption a "radical tonal shift", it just makes it... the inevitable eruption. It was likely to be violent, and nothing about it radically shifts the tone imo as all the tonal elements of the eruption were always there bubbling under the surface.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked 1917 a lot but Parasite is truly special. 2019 was an insane year for films but out of all of the best picture nominees, I think Parasite stands head and shoulders above the others.