• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably check this out for Deakins work alone, but I'm just so bored with war stories. real or otherwise.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the ads have been focusing on the cinematography, and for good reason

this movie looks great

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
i went to a movie that played the trailer for this and the kingsman prequel back to back. this definitely looks to be the better WW1 movie lol

Oct 29, 2017
I usually prefer to watch historical dramas at home, but every couple of years there are spectacular looking films where the DP is flexing that I can't miss going to the theater just for the photography.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was screening in the next theater over when I went to see Knives Out on Saturday. For as excited as I was to be seeing Knives Out early, it took everything in my power not to sneak in. Mendes, Deakins, and the cast were in attendance too...!

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on if this getting a proper IMAX release ala Dunkirk?

edit: Oop, some minor Googling tells me yes, it will indeed; expanded aspect ratio and everything.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
It was screening in the next theater over when I went to see Knives Out on Saturday. For as excited as I was to be seeing Knives Out early, it took everything in my power not to sneak in. Mendes, Deakins, and the cast were in attendance too...!

LOL. You could have seen Knives Out literally any other time.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Rub this all over my body. Really looking forward to this over Christmas break.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad to hear the characters are important and meaningful here. Was worried they would get lost in the spectical

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Ngl, Roger Deakins is the only cinematographer whose name I know. Gonna start paying more attention to film credits

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Dunkirk shooting in the beached boat topped? Cause that gave me anxiety like crazy!!

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Keep Mendes away from doing Bond movies and do this instead pleases me greatly. Looks great, hopefully sonds as great too!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Don't usually care about war films that much, but Roger Deakins is enough of a reason for me to check this out.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Meh, Dunkirk had eerily-similar early hype and that one turned out pretty forgettable. Maybe I'll catch it on streaming someday.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Great another theme park movie.

To be serious though, it sounds like a great technical achievement and I'm sure it's a visual feast (it's Deakins after all) but the director and story don't make this compelling to me. I will check it out though.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I'll probably check this out for Deakins work alone, but I'm just so bored with war stories. real or otherwise.

Same, unless it's some interesting kind of courtroom drama like Breaker Morant or Paths of Glory or a biopic like Patton, I have little interest in seeing most war movies. From the trailer it seems like the costumes and cinematography are spectacular but the narrative seems like well trodden ground.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

I'm glad someone else said it. Not to pre-criticize the film without seeing it, but immersive cinematography in a war film isn't a fresh concept.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Cant wait to see this. I'm on my 6th or so run of Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon and I'm once agin really invested in as many wwi stuff I can get my hands on.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Let us know!! I missed my chance this evening.

Just got back. That was probably one of the most intense war movies I've seen. Definitely worth seeing in a theater.

The movie really shines in its cinematography:

The movie plays out in "real time" and appears like one big camera shot, it works SUPER well in terms of ratcheting up tension since its a race against time.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back. That was probably one of the most intense war movies I've seen. Definitely worth seeing in a theater.

The movie really shines in its cinematography:

The movie plays out in "real time" and appears like one big camera shot, it works SUPER well in terms of ratcheting up tension since its a race against time.
That's great! How would you compare it to Saving Private Ryan's Omaha landing?
Is it more action-oriented than Dunkirk?
Do the Germans shows up in the film physically, or are they more of an invisible enemy like in Dunkirk?
I've heard there's much jump scares in the trenches??
[Do they succeed in the end??

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm going nuts here, I was trying to find tickets to this tomorrow but I cant find anything locally in South Florida, no listings posted on any of the major ticket sites I checked. Is this normal?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm going nuts here, I was trying to find tickets to this tomorrow but I cant find anything locally in South Florida, no listings posted on any of the major ticket sites I checked. Is this normal?

Limited release tomorrow (NYC and LA only most likely). Wide release January 10.