• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA

19 Years ago, the world lost an incredible, trendsetting and groundbreaking artist. Aaliyah's legacy and influence is still so tangible today. It's felt everywhere. Artists such as Beyoncé, Adele, and Rihanna have cited her as major influences in their music and careers.

Her estate, as well as her mother and brother, also announced today that they are in talks with various labels to finally bring her music to streaming. For those that do not know, her music has been held hostage by her uncle for almost a decade now. Hopefully, this is a great sign for things to come as all of her hard work can be easily accessed for the new generation.

Aaliyah is undoubtedly my favorite artist of all time. Her music, her personality, has spoken to me since I was very young.

We Miss You, Aaliyah!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i remember i was up late that night on yahoo forums and it was going crazy and woke my sis up ill never forget it so tragic

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
God. This still hurts.

Listening to her music is super bittersweet to me. I love her entire catalogue, but then the realization hits that she's gone.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still hurts.

Loved all her catalog, from the first R.Kelly produced album to her last one.

Star Wild eo

Jul 22, 2020
Is her family still keeping her material off of streaming/digital? The way they deny her legacy the opportunity to grow because of greed.

I remember waking up to this news and was shocked. I had just bought her last album like a couple days before.

Oct 25, 2017
19 years ago was quite a wild ride. I remember I used to watch the marathon on MTV channel when she was featured with other Hip-hop artists, and I barely knew her until I watched the old documentary about her, and I was realized she was an iconic on worldwide. Iirc, Missy Elliot was BFF with her, like as part of her family.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is her family still keeping her material off of streaming/digital? The way they deny her legacy the opportunity to grow because of greed.

I remember waking up to this news and was shocked. I had just bought her last album like a couple days before.
Her uncle teased the availability of her catalog on streaming platforms in December 2019 i think, but nothing happened so far.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Her songs still sound like they could be released today.

Fun fact. Music video director Little X made an AMV as a tribute to her.
youtu.be

Aaliyah - I Care 4 U [HQ Music Video]

"I Care 4 U" supposed to be another single from "Aaliyah" album and the concept for the video was to be set up for Aaliyah to perform live in a concert hall....

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much talent just gone. And by all accounts of everyone who was every in any form of contact with her, a great person too. Shame due to the streaming issues that generations of kids are missing out on some phenomenal music.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
To this day I still can't listen to an Aaliyah song because of her death. She was on the cusp of superstardom

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, its been 19 years? She used to be one of my favorite singers growing up.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
She died way, way too young.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Last of day of Summer. That's all everyone was talking about at school the next day right up until 9/11. I'd definitely think she'd be right up there with Beyonce and Rihanna if she were still around.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
One In A Million is a top 10 album of all time for me. Even though she was by no means the perfect vocalist, the combination of her + Timbaland + Missy is some great shit.

this song from Tim's Bio is awesome.

Jul 24, 2020
I was like in first or second grade. Had a crush on her even then. Our family (extended) loved her music, especially with R&B being the thing back in the 90s.

Pretty sure she was the first celebrity death I experienced. I was crushed/traumatised for ages.

Apr 24, 2018
She was the first person I thought of after Kobe's passing. Super sad - she had a very bright future ahead of her.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when she got Newcomer of the year when everybody was thinking christina aguilera or britney spears