• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Republicans are shit. They've been shit for a long long time. If you expected a different outcome then you haven't been paying attention to close to 50 years of American politics. STOP expecting a goddamn Republican to do the right thing.

Nov 23, 2017
Ok, I will. My ancestors on one side of my family fled from the Cossacks. My grandfather on the other side was captured by the Nazis during WWII and held in terrible internment until he escaped with a few others months later. He was lucky, relatively speaking.

The Holocaust has its specific victims, and calling another event (however similar or different) "The Holocaust" is problematic to the honor of those victims and their experiences. Let's not have the subject be derailed, we should be able to discuss "it's happening again" and "these are the steps, we're at step X" while still being aware of The Holocaust and its place in history. Everyone is entitled to their time and place in it.

We also should be able to discuss this without accusing others of "tinfoil hat" stuff simply because they are concerned about possible historical parallels. There is no reason to set anyone off in this thread, we are all examining what is currently happening and trying to remain aware, upright, engaged, and hopeful.

On a more positive note, today people are working on the problems you mention and are actively winning in courts. Children are being found, though there is clearly much more work to do. Today that ridiculous citizenship question was completely blocked by the Census and oversight of the process will be done by the courts. Protests happen every day across the country, and what happened in Congress today is just a public exposure of what was already present (partly as a result of the activism that brought new people to Congress). So we are not ye in a place of full despair.
Again, I totally apologize for my earlier posts. Thank you for saying it better than I could. I shouldn't have used the term tinfoil hat.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all need to check the #NeverAgainIsNow Twitter hashtag and see the work Jewish groups (y'know, the ones that had atrocities committed against them) are doing and how they feel about current circumstances and stop shitting up the thread by tone policing.

Nov 23, 2017
You do realize they were heavily slammed for this by many different Jewish organizations and the vast majority of academics specializing in the holocaust, right?

You really don't have the grounds for derailing this thread with pedantry here.
Actual jews have told me that in person. It's not an abstract thing that I pulled out of my ass. But you're right. I need to learn and do better.

Oct 29, 2017
Yup. This means nothing.

People said the exact same thing about the bs resolution they wrote up against Omar that was changed after public blowback to being against all forms of hate speech. That it was Pelosi showing her political prowess because it showed how awful Republicans are and it will help in the 2020 election.

But guess what? Everyone forgot or didn't care. Same thing will happen here.

Yeah. It's disgusting, but whose mind is going to be changed by this who wasn't already against Trump?

That said I am glad the resolution exists. It needs to be said and people need to be on the record.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
187 voted against a measure that stated that being American isn't defined by race.

4 of them voted to support that measure. You can absolutely begin to work them but the other 187 are fucking dead in the water.

Minx never fails coming into the most sensitive threads with the absolute worst takes. Your judgement is so off it's legit scary that you're an officer. Legit fucking scary.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe I ever implied this was the decisive moment that would precipitate his downfall. I just said it hurt his polling among a group he needs. It'll be one of the thousand cuts that leads to his loss.

I guess what I'm saying is that he didn't lose that 10 points. Ultimately, those independents stuck through all the other horrendous shit he's done and this already slid past the GOP mindshare who are now stenciling the squad as the racists that hate America. I don't have faith this truly moved the needle for these independents - that's what I mean.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Advocating Violence
Coincidentally, 187 is what should happen to republicans.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Coincidentally, 187 is what should happen to republicans.

vVkoPPU.gif

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
187 voted against a measure that stated that being American isn't defined by race.

4 of them voted to support that measure. You can absolutely begin to work them but the other 187 are fucking dead in the water.

Minx never fails coming into the most sensitive threads with the absolute worst takes. Your judgement is so off it's legit scary that you're an officer. Legit fucking scary.

He's an officer? My god...

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Then don't compare attempted genocide to this. It's not a good look and I'm sure would offend plenty of Jewish people.

Well then let Jewish posters express their offense if they feel it.

Personally, as a Jewish person, I'm fucking enraged whenever people try to limit terms like the Holocaust to just what happened to the Jews. Never Again means never fucking again, not never again but only related to Jews. We have clearly been seeing escalation in white supremacist language and actions. I have had people who lived through WWII and who personally heard Hitler on TV sounding the alarms about Trump before he even won the presidency.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Me not agreeing the holocaust is here = scary I'm an officer. I don't see the correlation but you are entitled to your baffling opinion.

Well then let Jewish posters express their offense if they feel it.

Personally, as a Jewish person, I'm fucking enraged whenever people try to limit terms like the Holocaust to just what happened to the Jews. Never Again means never fucking again, not never again but only related to Jews. We have clearly been seeing escalation in white supremacist language and actions. I have had people who lived through WWII and who personally heard Hitler on TV sounding the alarms about Trump before he even won the presidency.

You are right I suppose I shouldn't assume Jewish people would be offended. I guess I just think people are delusional if they truely believe America would replicate the holocaust, one of the biggest genocides in modern times.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP but I don't know if it's useful or right (or for that matter anything Jewish people would agree with ) to say "the holocaust is here." Or tinfoil hat stuff.

there was a very similar conversation happening when an exhibit titled "America's Concentration Camps: Remembering the Japanese-American Experience" opened up at Ellis Island back in 1998. this was the ultimate conclusion after several hours of discussion between jewish american and japanese american groups.

Although there have been different types of concentration camps, the footnote concluded, ''All had one thing in common: the people in power decided to remove a minority group from the general population, and the rest of society let it happen.''

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Special place in hell for republicans, the alt-right and all the nazi pieces of shit.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
How do you define modern day? It's been a cult since Reagan.
Under Reagan, HW and W there was a modicum of traditional party/ It has always been pro-Big Business and always had religious nuts in it. But the complete zombification, complete destruction of any thought whatsoever has been so thorough and so complete, you won't find any other mass movement that became a cult so quick. Donald Trump is the Republican party.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Fuck the GOP. Fuck conservatives. Fuck moderates that keep wanting to "reach across the aisle" and work with Republicans. Fuck them all.

Read the writing on the wall and see the downward spiral this country's path is set on.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
The holocaust is here is certainly a take I haven't heard yet. You realize 6 millions Jews died right? I understand you are emotional about all this but we still have to remain rational. No one will take you seriously otherwise.

It didn't start that way. It took years to get there, and it looked a hell of a lot like this in the beginning.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why should the Republicans condemn what Trump said? They believe in white superiority with all of their hearts, to them, Trump just said something they believe in. GOP should be burned to the ground.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
OP the vote you're taking about was a vote to condemn Trump's recent racist Tweets. It was basically a show vote so that Democrats could project solidarity and look like they're doing something in light of Trump's racism. All the accomplishes is putting a House condemnation on the Congressional record, and had the R votes won, there simply wouldn't be a condemnation on record. I agree that it's sad and frustrating how many elected officials refuse to call these obviously racist Tweets racist, but this thread grossly mischaracterizes what this vote even was and what it means that 187 people voted against it. This was a nothing vote.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Me not agreeing the holocaust is here = scary I'm an officer. I don't see the correlation but you are entitled to your baffling opinion.

Yeah okay, so now you can't read? Where did I say anything about holocaust comments. I responded to this portion.

"As much as people don't want to admit it, we have to work with the other party to get things done"

You said this in a thread about a party that couldn't even fucking work with Democrats to label an outright racist statement as racist...

Like wow, imagine being that dense. Working with the "other party" only seems to roll one way it seems, thats whats truly baffling. Thats why I called out your judgement, and being astounded that you're in a position of power that could cause real harm to people out there. Cant fade that shit.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
You are right I suppose I shouldn't assume Jewish people would be offended. I guess I just think people are delusional if they truely believe America would replicate the holocaust, one of the biggest genocides in modern times.

We're between stages 7 and 8 on the 10 stage scale of genocide. If you don't think it can happen here (hint: it already has in the past) you are the one that is delusional.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are outright full trash people.

You want to support party over the fact that this lunatic in office spews racist shit and encouraging others to do so? Well Fuck you.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Thinking that history can't repeat itself is the height of delusion.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think you need to be Jewish to call the state of our country holocaust like.

OP is calling this shit like they see it our country is fucked up. Kids are dying and anyone who could be considered "other" is being blamed for our nations problems

Feels like a crazy lead up to something horrible

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
What do you want done
To find some sort of compromise where kids aren't being kept in cages away from their parents and for no wall to be built. We obviously need to reform our immigration while still knowing who is coming into our country. I'm no political expert but I doubt this can be done until the dems win 2020.

We're between stages 7 and 8 on the 10 stage scale of genocide. If you don't think it can happen here (hint: it already has in the past) you are the one that is delusional.
I don't agree with us being on 7 or 8 at all.

Yeah okay, so now you can't read? Where did I say anything about holocaust comments. I responded to this portion.

"As much as people don't want to admit it, we have to work with the other party to get things done"

You said this in a thread about a party that couldn't even fucking work with Democrats to label an outright racist statement as racist...

Like wow, imagine being that dense. Working with the "other party" only seems to roll one way it seems, thats whats truly baffling. Thats why I called out your judgement, and being astounded that you're in a position of power that could cause real harm to people out there. Cant fade that shit.

You didn't quote me so how would I know what comment you were referring to. Working with the other party from either side is how the government has worked for.... Forever? I don't see how I'm the dense one here.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the Republicans decided they had to reach out to minorities and not be so racist to win elections

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
To find some sort of compromise where kids aren't being kept in cages away from their parents and for no wall to be built. We obviously need to reform our immigration while still knowing who is coming into our country. I'm no political expert but I doubt this can be done until the dems win 2020.

The GOP don't want to do any of this.

Nov 2, 2017
You didn't quote me so how would I know what comment you were referring to. Working with the other party from either side is how the government has worked for.... Forever? I don't see how I'm the dense one here.

I think I might see the problem here. Have you been frozen in a block of ice for the last 15+ years?

Because if you haven't, this seems to indicate you haven't been paying attention to what's going on in the world since at least the election of Obama.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The GOP don't want to do any of this.
dont worry, we just compromised with a bill that gives them money to expand the camps, while at the same time not promising any improvements to the conditions of those in them

wait a second, what does 'compromise' mean again?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

So great to see how unified the Republican Party was on today's vote concerning statements I made about four Democrat Congresswomen. If you really want to see statements, look at the horrible things they sa

....visible members of the House Democrats, who are now wedded to this bitterness and hate. The Republican vote was 187-4. Wow! Also, this was the first time since 1984 that the Speaker of the House was ruled Out of Order and broke the Rules of the House. Quite a day!

11:05 PM - Jul 16, 2019