• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Again. Not being outraged that a rich white person is in a foreign country's jail for breaking their laws isn't necessarily a comment on whether or not you think that prisons should be reformed overall. You can think that prison reform is vital, and at the same time advocate for equivalent sentencing regardless of one's caste in the systems that currently exist. These are not contradictory positions.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're ignoring a lot of nuance and context here. We have no idea how she is being jailed and what the conditions are like. You act as if they just threw her into a cell with a bunch of people without knowing if she had covid or not. I would rather assume they took precautions than not and at this point, they'd know if she had covid since this happened in November.

I also think you're missing the nuance of why people are upset. I'm not saying basically dancing happily that a girl was put in jail is a pristine, perfect way to act but people are upset that once again, the media is fishing for sympathy points for someone blatantly breaking the law (in a way that could have seriously harmed an entire population) because she's a pretty, young white person. People are upset and not giving the perfect, moral responses because people like her have led to many getting sick and dying because of their selfishness and privilege.

It feels like you didn't even read the story or think about it for more than a minute because you just wanted to make a blanket statement about the people on this forum due to some prior thing that bothered you.

This.
Covid spread is rampant in jails because of the conditions in jails and prisons making spread so dangerous. Whether or not she or Ramjeet have Covid currently is not an excuse for continuing to place people in extremely dire Covid situations for violations of Covid protocols. You are entirely missing the point, you're also ignoring that she isn't the only one going to jail. Yes I think they are trying to set an example with this couple, no I don't think it's good because the example they are setting is destructive and ignores the significance of Covid spread on incarcerated populations globally and the dangers posed by that spread.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is relevent when she is the face of the article and not him and in addition to breaking a country's law deliberately , the position of not putting her in jail rings hollow when she could have put people's lives at risk via her willful negligence.

That to me is not hard to understand and given the risks at play here I see no reason to put my neck on the line for her so long as the prison also follows guidelines.
Who their face of the article is not really my concern, I'm talking about criminal justice policy related to Covid spread and how jailing people for these violations is counter-productive. Feel free to search my post history, you'll find me saying the same thing every time this subject comes up. This is bad policy, it's putting other people's lives at risk to jail people for Covid violations.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Covid spread is rampant in jails because of the conditions in jails and prisons making spread so dangerous. Whether or not she or Ramjeet have Covid currently is not an excuse for continuing to place people in extremely dire Covid situations for violations of Covid protocols. You are entirely missing the point, you're also ignoring that she isn't the only one going to jail. Yes I think they are trying to set an example with this couple, no I don't think it's good because the example they are setting is destructive and ignores the significance of Covid spread on incarcerated populations globally and the dangers posed by that spread.

Cayman island don't have any covid outbreak, in prison or outside, in part of because they enforce the quarantine.
People should stop thinking projecting to them their own nation.
She risked the lifestyle (to not speak about the life) of everyone in the island because she believed that she would get away with it.
You guys are exactly supporting her behavior.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
The punishment is still designed to deter people from spreading the virus. She's not spreading it if she's negative.
I live on a island where people can only enter with a negative test taken in the last 72h and they have to isolate until they take a test on the 6th day.
Almost every day there are reports of someone testing positive on the 6th day.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live on a island where people can only enter with a negative test taken in the last 72h and they have to isolate until they take a test on the 6th day.
Almost every day there are reports of someone testing positive on the 6th day.

Those new covid-19 eye exams are so damn useful

220px-The_6th_Day_%282000_film%29.jpg

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people suggesting fines. Fines don't work for these kind of offense, those privileged people don't care.

El_Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Citizens from a nation with 300k covid deaths telling other nation with only 2 deaths how to handle the pandemic is so fucking stupid.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand that's seems pretty excessive (like two years is the original sentence) but on the other hand they broke the law of the Islands so you kinda reap what you sow. This isn't breaking COVID protocol in a huge country like the US, it's three small islands that you can literally infect most of the population.
Think of it this way: how many months would you have given Typhoid Mary when she went back to work as a cook under a pseudonym after express instructions not to do that?

Mentioned earlier that I would've settled for 1 month, but the ramifications of this fuckup could've ruined that whole island so...yeah, I see why they went with 4 months, even if it does seem like a lot

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
She intentionally took off an electronic monitor to not be tracked for quarantine.

If she didn't get punished, Id' feel that would set a more dangerous precedent for people currently who decide not to quarantine, and you only get a slap on your wrist for breaking the laws, and these are laws, not a recommendation to prevent the spread of a deadly disease that's causing the pandemic we're currently in.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who their face of the article is not really my concern, I'm talking about criminal justice policy related to Covid spread and how jailing people for these violations is counter-productive. Feel free to search my post history, you'll find me saying the same thing every time this subject comes up. This is bad policy, it's putting other people's lives at risk to jail people for Covid violations.
There's a time and place for arguing the merits of prison reform especially when there is an outbreak in the conversation . As I said there are an multitude of people in prison at the moment for offenses which are genuinely nonsensical and deliberately harmful to certain demographics.

This situation however was willful and deliberate in nature and given the severity warrents prison sentences as I cannot describe as anything other than breaking the law and putting people at risk for shits and giggles. This is a situation where a prison sentence is warranted according to the severity in that country.

Prison reform is a fine thing to want and the "cesspool" stands there with you in more ways than you can understand if you care to drop the needless blanket statement, but having said that, fuck these fuckwards and I frankly don't give a shit what happens to them.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

And you're missing the point too. Covid is rife in jails in America because it's rife outside of them too, and no effort was made to keep prisoners safe in America.

Compare with the stats from the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hm-prison-and-probation-service-covid-19-statistics

By August, almost half a year after the pandemic reached the UK, only 540 people total had contracted covid in UK prisons and even now, it's barely gotten to 3,000 (about 5% of the prison population), and that's with the newly highly contagious mutation appearing at the same as the numbers jumped. UK prisons had zero deaths and near zero cases from July to the point where the new more infectious strain appeared. Now that's a known quantity, they will no doubt adjust the restrictions appropriately to get that number back to zero (from 5 in October).

The Cayman Islands have the number of cases well under control and that includes within jails. There's no reason whatsoever to treat them like a hotspot of covid infections because that's a USA problem.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think of it this way: how many months would you have given Typhoid Mary when she went back to work as a cook under a pseudonym after express instructions not to do that?

Mentioned earlier that I would've settled for 1 month, but the ramifications of this fuckup could've ruined that whole island so...yeah, I see why they went with 4 months, even if it does seem like a lot

Typhoid Mary
spent 26 years in forced isolation. After her second apprehension, Mallon spent the last 23 years of her life as a virtual prisoner in forced isolation, adding to the three years from her first stint on North Brother Island

Well. you can say that was not prison at least.
Don't take anything from Mary to this case anyway. Different cases, different times, different diseases.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Shit y'all, let one white girl down to face the consequences of her actions in a prison system outside the US for not obeying containment laws during a global pandemic which she literally could have put lives at risk.....and suddenly your a cess pool.
Right.
Cayman island don't have any covid outbreak, in prison or outside, in part of because they enforce the quarantine.
People should stop thinking projecting to them their own nation.
She risked the lifestyle (to not speak about the life) of everyone in the island because she believed that she would get away with it.
You guys are exactly supporting her behavior.
Exactly and too many people are applying America's failures to how this country actually has taken this seriously. American exceptionalism I tell you what.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This shit reads like a tone deaf 80s movie.

I lost it at the first place but.

Skylar is likely ass rich. 4 months in a cayman islands prison is likely the same hotel shes in.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would prefer a heftier fine over prison, mostly because I don't want to add unnecessary stress on the prison system right now.

That said, 4 months is way too low if you're going to do any kind of jail time at all for breaking quarantine. It should qualify as reckless endangerment of everyone on the islands.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Commentary
I don't know why people suggesting fines. Fines don't work for these kind of offense, those privileged people don't care.

If you suggest to jail drunk people driving even when they don't do any damage you will get about the same amount of pushback.

All of us probably have gone behind the wheel when we got a drink to many. People somehow projecting. Not saying all people here would do something stupid like her but probably will try to skirt the rules.

Post Edit.
Well surely people felt strong about this post. I explain better below.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
It is relevent when she is the face of the article and not him and in addition to breaking a country's law deliberately , the position of not putting her in jail rings hollow when she could have put people's lives at risk via her willful negligence.

That to me is not hard to understand and given the risks at play here I see no reason to put my neck on the line for her so long as the prison also follows guidelines.
I'm trying to imagine this same article but with the image of a brown dude named Ramjeet drawing the same amount of sympathy but I know it wouldn't even be the same article. Probably wouldn't have even made the article at all.

Again, you or I do not know exactly how they are being confined. Sure on a broader scale covid spread in prisons is bad but we do not know enough about this specific case to say it's an issue here. How does the Cayman Islands handle Covid in prisons or in general? Do you know? Seems like they're handling it a hell of a lot better than America is. I understand the greater issue you want to address but this really doesn't feel like the spot for it.

The problem is you want to ignore the greater context in which the news has chosen to cover the story but it is very relevant to how people in this thread have reacted. You can't criticize their reactions to it with passive-aggressive blanket statements without acknowledging that. It just makes it look like you want to dismiss what they did cause you have beef with the forum. Yeah, ERA is not as "progressive" as some people claim. I just don't know why that's relevant here. You completely missed the point and should step back for a broader look.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
4 months is absolutely apt for a crime like this, a fine would just tell other rich Americans that's it's totally fine to come here and spread the virus.

An isolated place like the Caymans would be absolutely fucked if an outbreak did occur, they have to be thought on this.

It blows my mind how many people are calling this too hash.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Would prefer a heftier fine over prison, mostly because I don't want to add unnecessary stress on the prison system right now.

That said, 4 months is way too low if you're going to do any kind of jail time at all for breaking quarantine. It should qualify as reckless endangerment of everyone on the islands.
The prison system in the caymans is not like the US. And the problem with fines is that when you are rich that's just a price of entry to commit bad things. That's why fines don't work for well to do people unless it's absolutely devastating to their wealth and on top of that these folks probally wouldn't even pay it and if she makes bail they more than likely will wisk her off back to the US and face no punishment whatsoever

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
So she intentionally breaks country's coronavirus laws and has to face said consequences....for a jet ski competition. I'll hold my shock and outrage for something else...

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a time and place for arguing the merits of prison reform especially when there is an outbreak in the conversation . As I said there are an multitude of people in prison at the moment for offenses which are genuinely nonsensical and deliberately harmful to certain demographics.

This situation however was willful and deliberate in nature and given the severity warrents prison sentences as I cannot describe as anything other than breaking the law and putting people at risk for shits and giggles. This is a situation where a prison sentence is warranted according to the severity in that country.

Prison reform is a fine thing to want and the "cesspool" stands there with you in more ways than you can understand if you care to drop the needless blanket statement, but having said that, fuck these fuckwards and I frankly don't give a shit what happens to them.
My stance is not related to whether the behavior was 'willful and deliberate', I can't even conceive of a situation of Covid protocol violation where that wouldn't apply outside of children or a kidnapping, so I'm not sure why that's the standard here.

Criminal justice reform is about more than just the treatment of people convicted of crimes you don't think should be crimes, it's also about the treatment of people who commit legitimate crimes and crafting policy that produces better outcomes rather than policy that is destructive, short-sighted, and punitive.

I also never used to word "cesspool" so not sure why you keep harping on that.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I think she should get a big fine, but can't cosign on the 4 months in jail. I doubt people who are saying "4 months isn't so bad" have EVER been in a jail - let alone in a foreign country. Being in a cell where you aren't allowed to leave is very different than just being cooped up in your room.

She and her boyfriend are clearly privileged, arrogant and entitled, but that isn't enough for me say lock them up. Having personally experience, hard to cheer this on.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you suggest to jail drunk people driving even when they don't do any damage you will get about the same amount of pushback.

All of us probably have gone behind the wheel when we got a drink to many. People somehow projecting. Not saying all people here would do something stupid like her but probably will try to skirt the rules.

What the fuck? No. Never. I'm 100% behind tossing anyone stupid enough to have done that in jail for a few weeks too.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, good, fuck her, it's this mindset of not giving a fuck that makes everyone less safe, I'm tired of people not taking this seriously and doing what is required, by law in a lot of places, in order to protect people. I'm sorry that this white american woman thinks the rules don't apply to her in other places outside the usa but she learned that in fact, they do. You don't get to willfully ignore the law because you have decided that it doesn't apply to you for some arbitrary reason, she did this on purpose, she now realises she shouldn't have. And honestly it doesn't matter if she tested negative or not, the idea that she would slip out of another country's quarantine measures to go to a stupid jetski competition is exactly the mindset that leads to countries feeling the need to ban travel from other places outright. They can't trust people to follow the rules in places so the only option is to ban travel, it's annoying as fuck that people are defending her, maybe if people thought about how her mindset leads others to doing similar things they shouldn't be because they've seen their friends or others doing it, they'd realise how wrong her actions were, my mum and sister have been literally unable to leave their house almost the entire year because they have immune issues and selfish people don't give a fuck about taking steps to protect others, so I'm sorry that I have no sympathy for her being locked up for a short period in comparison due to willfully not respecting other country's laws that are there for the safety of the public.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow

People, in this thread, unironically arguing that the punishment for a rich white girl should be fines, instead of serving time, lol.

Am I in bizarro world?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Well, we're in a pandemic. So ignorance is not a defence.

Also, i have an inkling there's some white privilege sprinkled around this.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't wrap my head around the people pushing for fines.

Fines only ever damage people in low-income brackets. For the rich, they're effectively "access fees" to do illegal shit. It means nothing to them.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck? No. Never. I'm 100% behind tossing anyone stupid enough to have done that in jail for a few weeks too.
well, good for you, but my I choose my world badly. It should be under influence.
Myself? I never drove drunk, but definitely even 1 large beer is enough to affect your reflex to act differently. So now in most of Europe there is no tolerance for alcohol and car, even 1 beer, I welcome that.

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
In reading more on this, it looks like she's a pre-med student as well. The fact that someone who wants to be a physician is completely oblivious to the consequences of her actions doesn't speak well to her judgment and this incident is very much a red flag against her future career aspirations.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Lmao fines? The fuck are fines gonna do for these well off white people?
Been reduced to two month now.

Mack, Ramgeet sentences reduced to 2 months

Skylar Mack and Vanjae Ramgeet - the couple whose quarantine breach case has garnered international headlines - had their sentences reduced from four months to two months in jail.
Some of y'all happy now??? does 2 months suit your fancy for her terribly, dumbass, dangerous behavior and negligence of another countries fuckin laws and people? Of fuckin' course the white girl gets off even easier than she was. Fuck im heated.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you're missing the point too. Covid is rife in jails in America because it's rife outside of them too, and no effort was made to keep prisoners safe in America.

Compare with the stats from the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hm-prison-and-probation-service-covid-19-statistics

By August, almost half a year after the pandemic reached the UK, only 540 people total had contracted covid in UK prisons and even now, it's barely gotten to 3,000 (about 5% of the prison population), and that's with the newly highly contagious mutation appearing at the same as the numbers jumped. UK prisons had zero deaths and near zero cases from July to the point where the new more infectious strain appeared. Now that's a known quantity, they will no doubt adjust the restrictions appropriately to get that number back to zero (from 5 in October).

The Cayman Islands have the number of cases well under control and that includes within jails. There's no reason whatsoever to treat them like a hotspot of covid infections because that's a USA problem.
There have been multiple instances of explosions of cases in prisons in the UK in the last few months. The same thing could easily happen in the Cayman Islands or anywhere else because jails and prisons are hotbeds for Covid spread. It only takes one case being introduced through prison staff or other methods for things to spiral out of control.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The prison system in the caymans is not like the US. And the problem with fines is that when you are rich that's just a price of entry to commit bad things. That's why fines don't work for well to do people unless it's absolutely devastating to their wealth and on top of that these folks probally wouldn't even pay it and if she makes bail they more than likely will wisk her off back to the US and face no punishment whatsoever
I don't see why a fine is price of entry but jail time is deterrence. And if Cayman jails are less punishing than US jails, which I can understand, then the 2-4 months is even more meaningless than a fine.

Fine her $100 million or 50% of her family's net worth to be used for COVID treatment and prevention, whichever is higher, and call it done.

For the most part, I don't believe in retributive justice so I do not see the point of jail time if:
1) It does not prevent future quarantine dodgers
2) It does not help anyone to combat COVID (unless you think it's valuable to remove her freedom of travel in which case I agree! So we should consider an international travel ban for 5 years)

Like, what is the point of jail here? Is the point just to sate schdenfreude?

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
when I saw her pic I suddenly realized why a 18 year old nobody got a front page NYT article written about her lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why a fine is price of entry but jail time is deterrence. And if Cayman jails are less punishing than US jails, which I can understand, then the 2-4 months is even more meaningless than a fine.

Fine her $100 million or 50% of her family's net worth to be used for COVID treatment and prevention, whichever is higher, and call it done.

For the most part, I don't believe in retributive justice so I do not see the point of jail time if:
1) It does not prevent future quarantine dodgers
2) It does not help anyone to combat COVID (unless you think it's valuable to remove her freedom of travel in which case I agree! So we should consider an international travel ban for 5 years)

Like, what is the point of jail here? Is the point just to sate schdenfreude?
It's not going to work in an international situation. americans are constantly protected from these kinds of things on top of having enough wealth to just bog the courts down. And yes this does prevent tourists from not taking the rules seriously.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough situation, but if you're going to argue this is a bad solution I'll need to here a better alternative. I absolutely think prison conditions need to improve, but that's a separate issue from whether or not the existence of a prison system should exist or whether people should be locked up at all. We all seem to agree fines would be useless here since they're not an obstacle to the rich and making them equally as detrimental to the rich as to the poor is pretty much impossible (scalable fines still run into the issue that a multimillionaire losing a million dollars is still not equivalent to someone who is poor and actively accumulating debt losing even $10) so if confinement is not a solution I'd like to hear what you think would be the appropriate course of action to take given their actions were premeditated and could potentially have put people's lives at risk.

Also on whether these types of penalties act as a deterent, I'd argue that part of the reason they fail is because people don't think they'll actually be enforced, or if they are enforced they think they'll be exempt. The most important part of a deterent is that people believe it would apply to them, so applying it fairly and equally is of the upmost importance. I also don't think 4 months is some sort of life ending sentence

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad they didn't reduce it even more -- the punishment in this case does fit the crime...

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017

Never in my fucking life, fuck drunk drivers. Both that and breaking quarantine are an actual endangerment to people's lives and not "something stupid".