• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
They put her in prison? Didn't they see she's a blonde white chick? She's obviously above the laws.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As a former teenager, I can tell you that I wasn't so self-centered that I thought I could premeditatively break the law of another country and expect the media to try and bail me out. Like, it never even occurred to me that that was an option. Minorities don't grow up with this level of insulation and delusion about what can happen to them if they step out of line. I say popping the bubble on these rich, white assholes and letting them know the rest of the world doesn't play that shit is a good learning experience. Puts hair on your chest.
Exactly. She totally didn't take this seriously. And people don't even regard how bad a spread on an island can be vs even the US. They have WAY less hospitals and older populations. They HAVE to be this harsh on people. Especially when you pretty much premeditated it. Fuck all that shit.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
So... consequences when then? She's not a victim of structural racism, economic white supremacy, or left behind by an anemic social safety net. She's a rich white girl.

She traveled from a country— and a state— experiencing an out of control outbreak to one that had largely been spared because she doesn't care. She then broke quarantine to go watch a jet ski competition (🤯) because she doesn't care and likely hasn't experienced consequences for her actions before [see: rich white girl] so... consequences when exactly?

If incarceration for four months— that won't affect her ability to continue being a rich privileged white person in the US— is deemed too harsh, then what? A fine? How much then? A million for every month she would have served? 5 million? Can the fine be appealed by her family's lawyers? Where should the money fined go to in order to best serve the material interests of the Caymanians who, as we've already established, this girl gave zero fucks about?

Well, if the prosecution appealed the first sentence which was a fine and community service, why wouldn't her lawyers get to appeal as well?

I've said I don't think these problems are dealt with well within the criminal justice system. They have to be dealt with from a public health one.

That's not a point. And she can be forcibly isolated. Island spread is MORE dangerous than mainlands. They need to be punished for this crap especially when she pre-meditated this.

It says she was jailed immediately. She will still come into contact with guards and doctors. Those can then increase the spread in prison. And the original judge was okay with her not getting prison time. Why is the high court's the only opinion that matters?

Yeah I mean, I'm not losing sleep over this but the "Don't break the law" responses to this are straight up Trumpian. With that said, the ONLY reason this is a story is because she's a white girl

Exactly. Prison reform is only good sometimes it seems.

Um where did it say she was put in the prison general population during quarantine?

It doesn't but even then, she still comes into contact with people.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
She will still come into contact with guards and doctors. Those can then increase the spread in prison. And the original judge was okay with her not getting prison time. Why is the high court's the only opinion that matters?
Because the high court saw more of this being more than a slap on a wrist and even with guards there are ways to easily not have spread again you are not taking account to people being on an island and people like this acting up abroad is bullshit. Especially when they put a whole island at risk.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. If the punishment is to prevent spread of the virus then imprisoning her doesn't make sense since she's negative and won't spread the virus. Same with the man if he tested negative.
The punishment exists to deter people from breaking quarantine.

Cayman has managed to limit new COVID cases to 3 or less a day during this outbreak, in large part due to this quarantine on new travelers. By keeping numbers small, it's possible to trace contacts of the newly infected, isolate potentially infected people quickly, and limit the wider spread. This is what every nation that has handled this pandemic successfully has done. A quarantine can be enforced impartially on a limited, defined population whose compliance can be monitored.

They are in a very different situation than America, which you're using as your point of comparison. In the US, the virus is spreading uncontrollably among hundreds of thousands of people a day, it's spreading at an even higher rate in jails and prisons than it is in the general population, and the compliance rules that exist apply to the entire population, not a limited class of travelers, meaning that they're unlikely to be enforceable in an equitable way.

I agree that in the US, throwing someone in jail for, say, a mask-wearing violation is likely to be counterproductive, in that it is too random an act to be likely to deter, too likely to be enforced against a disadvantaged subset of the population, and liable to contribute to the further spread of COVID in and out of jail. But the situation in the Cayman Islands is very different. An arrest with a strong punishment can properly deter travelers (who, as this story shows, are being tracked while in quarantine) and can keep already-low COVID numbers from rising.

I think four months is a lot as a sentence, but if we're talking about what's effective as public health policy it's important to put it into proper context.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Reckless endangerment of other people through willfully and knowingly exposing them to COVID has to start having more consequences, everywhere. The details of the sentence could use refinement, but I think of this as analogous to drinking and driving, and we have to start treating it similarly.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Prison reform being brought up as a gotcha is hilarious. Y'all know what the difference is.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The State Department has told travelers for a long time to follow the laws of the countries they travel to - while other countries can choose to work with their US consulate to release US citizens from custody, there's no obligation for them to do so. I can't say I feel much sympathy - her actions could easily kill people both here and there if she became a carrier. She'll sit in jail for a bit (it's not like it's a life sentence, and she'll probably be released early anyway), learn her lesson, and then perhaps next time she'll follow the laws of the places she travels to.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The punishment exists to deter people from breaking quarantine.

Cayman has managed to limit new COVID cases to 3 or less a day during this outbreak, in large part due to this quarantine on new travelers. By keeping numbers small, it's possible to trace contacts of the newly infected, isolate potentially infected people quickly, and limit the wider spread. This is what every nation that has handled this pandemic successfully has done. A quarantine can be enforced impartially on a limited, defined population whose compliance can be monitored.

They are in a very different situation than America, which you're using as your point of comparison. In the US, the virus is spreading uncontrollably among hundreds of thousands of people a day, it's spreading at an even higher rate in jails and prisons than it is in the general population, and the compliance rules that exist apply to the entire population, not a limited class of travelers, meaning that they're unlikely to be enforceable in an equitable way.

I agree that in the US, throwing someone in jail for, say, a mask-wearing violation is likely to be counterproductive, in that it is too random an act to be likely to deter, too likely to be enforced against a disadvantaged subset of the population, and liable to contribute to the further spread of COVID in and out of jail. But the situation in the Cayman Islands is very different. An arrest with a strong punishment can properly deter travelers (who, as this story shows, are being tracked while in quarantine) and can keep already-low COVID numbers from rising.

I think four months is a lot as a sentence, but if we're talking about what's effective as public health policy it's important to put it into proper context.
Exactly this. Islands have huge disadvantages vs the mainlands and community spread would overwhelm them in a damn instant.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Because the high court saw more of this being more than a slap on a wrist and even with guards there are ways to easily not have spread again you are not taking account to people being on an island and people like this acting up abroad is bullshit. Especially when they put a whole island at risk.

I am taking them being on an island into account. I said the exact same things for the people who got arrested in Hawaii for flying back and breaking quarantine.

You can be for prison reform and simultaneously against white privilege activating in the current criminal justice system. These aren't actually mutually exclusive positions.

Of course. I agree. That's why I'm against both the man and woman going to prison.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Prison reform being brought up as a gotcha is hilarious. Y'all know what the difference is.
Fucking rich. Literally. They know the damn difference and context and islands are less harsh in sentencing than the US as it is. Hell in JA vybez kartel can still make a full living while imprisoned for murder.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I agree. That's why I'm against both the man and woman going to prison.
But you're mad at people for not caring that this woman is in jail, not understanding that the reason people don't care is because it's high time that white people face the consequences for their actions the rest of us would, not because they are against prison reform.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I am taking them being on an island into account. I said the exact same things for the people who got arrested in Hawaii for flying back and breaking quarantine.
You aren't you are just applying bullshit to this conversation while not taking the real risks an island has real colonizer vibes with your commentary here especially when the prison systems on these islands are way more fair than anything in america.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a video of them. They got lucky. The judge started with a 16 month sentence before settling on a 4 month sentence.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) Since they don't have Covid they are free to go inside the prison unless there is an active outbreak there.
2) 4 month is not even that lot, the damage both as term of live and of livelihood she could have caused are massive.
3) I'm sure they were very well informed in the immigration of the penalty for breaking quarantine.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we having a conversation about "prison reform" in a thread about a person who is being jailed FOR FOUR MONTHS in a completely different justice & prison system?

As an American, I care deeply about American Prison Reform, because it's the only system I can have an effect on. Also, I care about American Prison Reform because the current system is imprisoning people FOR TWENTY-TO-LIFE for minor drug offenses. My desires for reform don't currently extend to a whopping 120-day sentence for knowingly violating pandemic quarantine orders for dumb babies who think they aren't accountable for their own damn actions.

Some people in this thread just found out about "prison reform" and it shows.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also why are we even bringing up American prison reform?

This was a different country altogether.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Time is the universal currency.

People are like 'fine her! don't put her in prison for 4 months', and that's bullshit. $4k is nothing to these people. They probably shit out $4k worth of prescription medicine and supplements every day.

But taking away some of their time on this planet is something they can't get back. Force her to be around people who isn't like her, maybe she'll learn something.

I don't understand why people are willing to throw their arms in with her when she willingly committed a crime, putting the entire population at risk.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
But you're mad at people for not caring that this woman is in jail, not understanding that the reason people don't care is because it's high time that white people face the consequences for their actions the rest of us would, not because they are against prison reform.

I'm not mad at anything nor anyone. I even said I fully understand why people are thinking the way they do in the thread. I'm not faulting anyone for thinking the way they do.

My prison reform comments stem from the fact that, often, it is used selectively.

You aren't you are just applying bullshit to this conversation while not taking the real risks an island has real colonizer vibes with your commentary here especially when the prison systems on these islands are way more fair than anything in america.

Colonizer vibes? How so?

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
She could've gotten two years and a $10k fine.

The day before the breach, the latest COVID-19-suppression regulations had taken effect, which increased the penalties for violating quarantine protocols.

Under the previous regulations a sentence of up to one-year imprisonment and/or a fine of $1,000 could be imposed for a breach of the quarantine requirements. The new regulations increased the sentence to up to two years imprisonment, and/or a fine of up to $10,000.

"This was a clear and unambiguous statement from the legislature," said Chapple, when commenting on the new regulations, noting the custodial sentence was doubled and the fine raised by a factor of 10.

When returning his decision, Chapple said it was the court's duty to reflect the will of the Parliament and to impose a sentence on behalf of the people.

"This was as flagrant a breach as could be imagined; it was borne of selfishness and arrogance," said Chapple.

When sentencing Mack, Chapple said, "This was entirely deliberate and planned, as evidenced by her desire to switch her wristband the day before to a looser one that she was then able to remove."

www.caymancompass.com

4 months for 'selfish', 'arrogant' quarantine breachers

An 18-year-old visitor and her boyfriend were each sentenced to four months in jail for their respective roles in a quarantine-breach case.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Why are we having a conversation about "prison reform" in a thread about a person who is being jailed FOR FOUR MONTHS in a completely different justice & prison system?

As an American, I care deeply about American Prison Reform, because it's the only system I can have an effect on. Also, I care about American Prison Reform because the current system is imprisoning people FOR TWENTY-TO-LIFE for minor drug offenses. My desires for reform don't currently extend to a whopping 120-day sentence for knowingly violating pandemic quarantine orders for dumb babies who think they aren't accountable for their own damn actions.

Great post. 4 months isn't even close to comparable to LOSING YEARS OF YOUR LIFE.

Frankly, it's fucking offensive to equate the two situations.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not mad at anything nor anyone. I even said I fully understand why people are thinking the way they do in the thread. I'm not faulting anyone for thinking the way they do.

My prison reform comments stem from the fact that, often, it is used selectively.

Colonizer vibes? How so?
But this isn't the US prison system. So why even bring it up?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's different philosophies.

American prison reform is one thing... but some people are usually more vocal about not using prison for small crimes OR abolishing prison altogether. The latter bits apply to any country.

I'm personally in a weird space. I don't believe she should be in prison for this, BUT part of prison reform is reducing the circumstances that lead to crime. I don't know how to affect the behavior of people like this girl who want for nothing, but then will still break laws.

But, much shorter response: Some of us believe in reform beyond America. Though, I'm still personally evaluating.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Colonizer vibes? How so?
Thinking that this prison system is remotely anything like the US. it's not. Its actually a predominantly Black Country and they apply laws in a reasonable manner in most cases unlike the US and on top of that she could've gotten a way worse sentence according to the law. This is fair.

Oct 25, 2017
1. A law dealing with a temporary pandemic is not really the platform for arguing for prison reform. It is a poor example to use for far reaching problems in the criminal justice system.

2. If there was ever an example where jailing someone was more about setting an example than about punishment, it is this. Let them both serve the full term so that no more Americans feel it's worth the risk to flout the rules and spread the virus there. Lives will be saved.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

What use is there in fining someone when they're already rich and probably don't give a damn about paying. Just sends the message that if you're wealthy enough, you can just pay your way out of breaking the law (which ppl do all the time).

Island prison systems are very different. Lock her up for 4 months, teach her a lesson about her actions.

Oct 27, 2017
Her family trying to generate sympathy for her and get her out of consequences is exactly why she pulled that shit to begin with. Seems like she grew up never facing consequences for her bad decisions and so here we are.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
1. A law dealing with a temporary pandemic is not really the platform for arguing for prison reform. It is a poor example to use for far reaching problems in the criminal justice system.

2. If there was ever an example where jailing someone was more about setting an example than about punishment, it is this. Let them both serve the full term so that no more Americans feel it's worth the risk to flout the rules and spread the virus there. Lives will be saved.
And the law was up to 2 years they still got a slap on the wrist. this was a fair and actually Lenient ruling for someone who pre-meditated this.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's different philosophies.

American prison reform is one thing... but some people are usually more vocal about not using prison for small crimes OR abolishing prison altogether. The latter bits apply to any country.

I'm personally in a weird space. I don't believe she should be in prison for this, BUT part of prison reform is reducing the circumstances that lead to crime. I don't know how to affect the behavior of people like this girl who want for nothing, but then will still break laws.

But, much shorter response: Some of us believe in reform beyond America. Though, I'm still personally evaluating.

I don't think is a small crime, this could have done immense damage to the island.
She broke quarantine when she was informed about the consequence.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You're correct. They are not the U.S. And if you think it's fair, you think it's fair and I get why.
It's fair and they are not the US and you applying some weird logic that people shouldn't be punished for clear pre-meditation is ridiculous esp when the law was set for 2 years and the landed on 4 months. They are gonna be just fine and sit in jail and realize they can play stupid games especially abroad on an island that has higher risks than the US.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think is a small crime, this could have done immense damage to the island.
She broke quarantine when she was informed about the consequence.
Exactly. They are lucky it's not the full 2 years. Islands have zero capacity or capability to handle out breaks let alone bring refrigeration trucks like what's happening in the fucking US.