• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. If the punishment is to prevent spread of the virus then imprisoning her doesn't make sense since she's negative and won't spread the virus. Same with the man if he tested negative.

The punishment is probably due to her pre-planning to not abide by quarantine rules when she asked for a looser bracelet, and then proceeded to remove it and sneak off. I doubt she would have gotten the 4 months if she just carelessly broke quarantine.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think four months seems harsh, but at the same time if you enter a country and they're going to go to the extreme of mandating house arrest bracelets to all that enter, expect extreme outcomes of breaking the law.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Ok cool, people who are well off can just pay fines like it's no problem and put others in danger. Poor people can get fucked if they can't pay the fine. Seems more fair than throwing a privileged person in jail.

The right answer (not just specific to this case, but in the U.S., especially) should be fines that are relative to a person's income/wealth. There was some country a while back that give a rich guy a million dollar fine for speeding. Rich people don't care about $200 fines, or even $10,000 fines, but a million dollar fine might actually get their attention.

Those with less money should be given a lesser fine or, in the case where even a small fine could be devastating, offer community service instead.

So, yeah, I'd say in this case, a fine instead of jail time is appropriate, especially given covid spread in jails, but it should be much higher. Someone who can afford that kind of trip can easily afford a $3000 fine. The fine needs to hurt.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"This particular sentence would have a particularly harsh effect on her, and the court ought to have considered the individual before it, not just the crime," Hughes said on TODAY.

It's like they don't even process in their brain they expect the rules to not apply to them.
White people really do walk around thinking that they are physically and emotionally frail darlings completely unfit for the jails that house the rest of us melanated animals.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. If the punishment is to prevent spread of the virus then imprisoning her doesn't make sense since she's negative and won't spread the virus. Same with the man if he tested negative.
The punishment is tell other idiots not break the quarantine rule. Broke it? Tough luck.

It's like what would you expecting when walking into a land mines with a big fucking sign "Danger, keep out"?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its like we in the middle of a deadly pandemic that most are still not taking seriously at all.

And what exactly is prison time going to do? Prison should be the last thing we do to get people to take covid seriously. Even a month would have been too much, But 4?

Just because she might be wealthy, doesn't mean a heavy fine and community service is a "light sentence". That's like saying we should get rid of fines and go straight to jail for anything just because the majority of our country can afford the fines.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have 0 sympathy for white Americans breaking rules in other countries and trying to use their privileged tears to escape

Personally I think covid laws should be extremely tough. Anti makers should be jailed

Vaccination should be (free) and mandatory or you get a hefty fine

iamdelirium

Nov 25, 2017
This wasn't some they did out of passion or last second, they DELIBERATELY PREMEDIATED THIS.

"This was entirely deliberate and planned, as evidenced by her desire to switch her wristband the day before to a looser one that she was then able to remove," he was quoted as saying, referring to the electronic tracking device.
www.usatoday.com

US college student jailed in Cayman Islands for violating strict COVID-19 rules

Skylar Mack, 18, of Georgia, and Vanjae Ramgeet, 24, of the Cayman Islands, have been in prison since Tuesday.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Guys:

She didn't steal food to feed her starving children.

She actively went to a foreign country and flaunted their quarantine laws for purely selfish reasons.

There's a STARK difference between the two. A poor person will hardly ever go to another country to watch their boyfriend jetski. Jeeze.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Four months lockup ain't so bad. I would just take my sentence and try to stay out of the news.

A hefty fine is a better punishment for this sort of thing, though.
I thought that but if she's a little rich kid who just can just throw money at it then it's not much of a punishment or deterrent to other little rich kids coming in. I think 4 months prison time is a bit much, maybe shorter or fuck me make her do community service for 4 months.

In my mind people coming to the USA and fucking around with the immigration laws would get no sympathy from most of the public but when it's flipped for some reason we supposed to give a shit.

itsgreen

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have 0 sympathy for white Americans breaking rules in other countries and trying to use their privileged tears to escape

Personally I think covid laws should be extremely tough. Anti makers should be jailed

Vaccination should be (free) and mandatory or you get a hefty fine

What a weird racial distinction.

But yeah, COVID is serious. If you break the rules accept the consequences. I am sure the consequences have been explained to her.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In my mind people coming to the USA and fucking around with the immigration laws would get no sympathy from most of the public but when it's flipped for some reason we supposed to give a shit.
You don't even have to "fuck around with the immigration laws" to get thrown in a concentration camp. All you have to do is legally seek asylum from a dangerous situation that we probably actively meddled in and caused in the first place.

Dec 2, 2017
people do understand the difference between a mistake and deliberately taking the bracelet off to go to a jetski tournament right?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Put me in the 4 months seems overly harsh camp. She's a teenager. Acting self-centered is what teens do. I'd say 30 days would still teach her a lesson she wouldn't soon forget

Oct 30, 2017
10/10
Would jail again.

These communities work hard to be COVID Free and to have that put at risk due to selfishness - any punishment is well deserved.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
She acted out of privilege and continues to do so. Have you learned nothing?

She was selfish and careless and now she is paying for it.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
The punishment is probably due to her pre-planning to not abide by quarantine rules when she asked for a looser bracelet, and then proceeded to remove it and sneak off. I doubt she would have gotten the 4 months if she just carelessly broke quarantine.

The punishment is still designed to deter people from spreading the virus. She's not spreading it if she's negative.

She is rich, you think a fine would have taught her anything? What if she had covid and caused an outbreak which led to deaths?

Does prison teach anyone anything? What if she caused a covid outbreak in prison?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This wasn't some they did out of passion or last second, they DELIBERATELY PREMEDIATED THIS.

www.usatoday.com

US college student jailed in Cayman Islands for violating strict COVID-19 rules

Skylar Mack, 18, of Georgia, and Vanjae Ramgeet, 24, of the Cayman Islands, have been in prison since Tuesday.
Yeah, she took the risk and got got caught so she deserves the consequences. I agree with some other posters that a heavy fine feels like a more apt punishment than jail time, but it is what it is.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
A fine would do nothing to deter her or others from doing this again in the future. This was an absolutely flagrant disregard for the law and for others. Island countries are not as well equipped to deal with stuff like this -- there aren't as many doctors, it isn't as easy to get around, the systems just aren't in place to deal with an influx of death and disease. You absolutely have to throw the book at someone doing this. Sorry, she should be punished severely and if they've decided 4 months of jail time is appropriate then I agree with them.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why this is even an argument. This is a law of a sovereign nation. She knew the law, and then she broke it. What if someone came to your country, broke one of your laws (pre-meditated) that you're required to abide by, and then complained about the punishment and said it wasn't just? The fact that it's 4 months in prison doesn't matter. She's in another country, she knew the law, she knew the punishment if she was caught, and did it anyway. Sure, she can try and ask for mercy from the courts, but it's on them to grant it. This is the same as someone getting a speeding ticket and then complaining that the fine is too large and it needs to be reduced. I feel no sympathy, she's an asshole.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Deliberate.....fucking global pandemic. But hey" that could be me so you do you silly rascal. Don't worry about silly things like laws"

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the progressive consensus was that jail was for rehabilitation/correction, not punishment? If so, then four months for this kind of crime seems overboard.

And perhaps people should be fined according to their tax bracket. That way the poor are not disproportionately affected.

That's the ideal scenario on how it should work. The system isn't currently set up for rehabilitation, it needs to be reformed. Its only practical use right now is punishment. So if you jail anyone for any reason, you're doing it knowing that's the system you're working with. I'm ok with potentially jailing people who put the public at harm, while also working towards reforming the prison system to be more fair, humane, and produce better outcomes.

I'm also not opposed to proportional fines, and I'm not dead set on "these people have to be in jail", I just want meaningful consequences for blatantly and arrogantly disregarding the safety of others during a pandemic.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Island hospitals would be overrun in an instant if they have any outbreak these kind of punishments have to happen on islands.
The punishment is still designed to deter people from spreading the virus. She's not spreading it if she's negative.
There is a reason why there is a 14 day quarantine. You can be negative Monday and positive on Thursday how the hell you think this works.

Dec 12, 2017
We like the concept of prison reform, but not what it actually looks like. At least, when people we don't like are involved.

Shit, I'm hypocritical in those regards too. It's a hard concept to truly wrap a mind around.
Yeah I mean, I'm not losing sleep over this but the "Don't break the law" responses to this are straight up Trumpian. With that said, the ONLY reason this is a story is because she's a white girl

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice to see white privilege not meaning shit for once. 4 months sounds about right for knowingly risking the lives of vulnerable people for utterly selfish reasons.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
4 months is pretty harsh, but she was required to wear a tracking bracelet and slip out of it? At that point, you should be aware of the penalties for doing so, and you are knowingly putting yourself at risk.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
She fucked up, likely knowing what the consequences are. Too bad. She should do her time. I'm guessing she'll get out early anyway. If it's anything like the US system

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
There is a reason why there is a 14 day quarantine. You can be negative Monday and positive on Thursday how the hell you think this works.

That's my point. If she's a risk, she should not be in prison.

Either the punishment doesn't fit the crime because she doesn't have the virus or she's going to spread it to other prisoners. That's why I'm against jailing both the man and woman.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
probably have less chance of getting it in jail in the cayman islands than you do here free as a bird in the US

Absolute facts. My county posted a new daily total a few days ago that was nearly double the total amount that Cayman Islands has experienced since the outbreak startrd

Yeah a fine seems more appropriate in this case. These "You broke the law" posts are weirdly cop-like, especially by this forum's standards.

So... consequences when then? She's not a victim of structural racism, economic white supremacy, or left behind by an anemic social safety net. She's a rich white girl.

She traveled from a country— and a state— experiencing an out of control outbreak to one that had largely been spared because she doesn't care. She then broke quarantine to go watch a jet ski competition (🤯) because she doesn't care and likely hasn't experienced consequences for her actions before [see: rich white girl] so... consequences when exactly?

If incarceration for four months— that won't affect her ability to continue being a rich privileged white person in the US— is deemed too harsh, then what? A fine? How much then? A million for every month she would have served? 5 million? Can the fine be appealed by her family's lawyers? Where should the money fined go to in order to best serve the material interests of the Caymanians who, as we've already established, this girl gave zero fucks about?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even have to "fuck around with the immigration laws" to get thrown in a concentration camp. All you have to do is legally seek asylum from a dangerous situation that we probably actively meddled in and caused in the first place.

Remember the French woman visiting her mother in British Columbia, who was thrown in a hole for weeks by the Americans for accidentally jogging across the border?

I doubt they would have locked her up for 2 weeks if she wasn't brown.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean, I'm not losing sleep over this but the "Don't break the law" responses to this are straight up Trumpian.

Im in this boat as well. I don't have any sympathy for this woman in a vacuum, but the implications that could have if more widely adopted (and how easy it can be to get people to accept/champion that) is what is concerning to me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That's my point. If she's a risk, she should not be in prison.

Either the punishment doesn't fit the crime because she doesn't have the virus or she's going to spread it to other prisoners. That's why I'm against jailing both the man and woman.
That's not a point. And she can be forcibly isolated. Island spread is MORE dangerous than mainlands. They need to be punished for this crap especially when she pre-meditated this.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I mean, I'm not losing sleep over this but the "Don't break the law" responses to this are straight up Trumpian. With that said, the ONLY reason this is a story is because she's a white girl
It's not even about the law here, as much as the threats to islands are way more devastating with spread than mainlands.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm so fuckin tired of white people (especially white women) trying to get the easy way out. Like fuck off enjoy your 4 months. Next time don't break the law in another country you privileged piece of shit.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
She's a teenager. Acting self-centered is what teens do.
As a former teenager, I can tell you that I wasn't so self-centered that I thought I could premeditatively break the law of another country and expect the media to try and bail me out. Like, it never even occurred to me that that was an option. Minorities don't grow up with this level of insulation and delusion about what can happen to them if they step out of line. I say popping the bubble on these rich, white assholes and letting them know the rest of the world doesn't play that shit is a good learning experience. Puts hair on your chest.

Remember the French woman visiting her mother in British Columbia, who was thrown in a hole for weeks by the Americans for accidentally jogging across the border?

I doubt they would have locked her up for 2 weeks if she wasn't brown.
I don't remember that, because I never heard of it until now. She wasn't as important as SKYLAR.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Deliberate disregard for local laws during a global pandemic....excuse me while I weep for her and my lost trumpian soul.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
They gave her a tracking bracelet, she was fully aware of the risks lol. It's a harsh punishment but I don't see why she should receive special treatment.

Oct 30, 2017
I can't speak for Cayman Islands jail.
But I know ours has a separate section of jail to allow for continued isolation During jail.
Id assume they have the same

So any fear that'd cause a prison outbreak is most likely unwarranted
And jail time is still justified.