• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Jeanne Mack also wrote to President Trump for help. She received a response from the Office of Presidential Correspondence last week stating that her correspondence had been forwarded "to the appropriate federal agency for further action."
Law and order, tho.

Oct 28, 2019
Rich white people who continue to flout the rules can get fucked.

"broke her quarantine after two days and took off her electronic monitoring bracelet"

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of brilliant on part of the Cayman Islands justice system. Like no one is going to fuck around with their quarantine rules now.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you even go to something like this if you knew there was a mandatory 2 week quarantine as soon as you got there?

Because you go with an enormous amount of privilege, not caring about what the law in a foreign country is and have every intent to break it when you get there.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck em both. They played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. This is America though and it is a miscarrage of justice when a pretty white girl breaks foreign laws and has to face the consequences. Don't they understand that she is very sorry, that she got caught, and has learned a valuable lesson.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a bit on the long side, but at least she's not in North Korea? Shit could be a lot worse.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
4 months seems reasonable?

I'd argue a release sooner on good behavior but I somehow think there's nothing to be shown that she's taking it seriously

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
why the hell is the Today show giving this a platform? she fucked up, the world shouldn't sympathize.

4months is heavy, but it was also so blatant-slipping out of a monitoring bracelet?
Pretty and, blonde. It will get lots of eyeballs. Hard to sympathize with people who break rules probably because they know they are on easy mode in life

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one should be put in jail for these kind of violations. Neither of them should be there.

And everything I've read about this case has been focused solely on the pretty white girl. The guy is barely mentioned in several of the articles. Let's put it this way, if she was a black woman I doubt this story gets even a fraction of the coverage.

Dec 2, 2017
I mean, she slipped off a tracking device designed to keep her in quarantine. Where is my sympathy supposed to come from here.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
And everything I've read about this case has been focused solely on the pretty white girl. The guy is barely mentioned in several of the articles. Let's put it this way, if she was a black woman I doubt this story gets even a fraction of the coverage.

Oh I absolutely agree! I doubt anyone would have even covered it if she weren't a white woman.

I was just pointing out that my problem is jailing people for these violations in general, not her specifically.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wow at the people cheering for this...

1.Its a pandemic, you're entitled enough to go to the caymen islands
2. you have 1 rule to quarantine for 2 weeks
3. You break the rule and expect zero consequences?
4. She purposefully switched her band to a looser one because she had planned it all along.

Shes reaping what she sowed.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Four months is kind of nuts, but I am not opposed to significant consequences like a very large fine on top of a couple weeks of confinement and then being kicked out of the country.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate fines cause if you can afford it then no big deal but if you are poor then you are screwed. Same crime different result. If it is a massive fine then they will set up a gofund me. Look at me, I am white, give me money.

I would give her community service for 6 months and a ban from the island.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
lol. think everybody knew before clicking the thread it would be a blonde white girl.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Except they clearly still aren't listening. As I mentioned earlier, putting them in prison increases the spread of the virus.

This crazy asshole slipped off a tracking bracelet to skip out on mandatory quarantine to go jet skiing. There's no situation you can put her in that she's any more of a danger of spreading the virus than leaving her to her own devices.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're in the middle of a pandemic that's been raging for almost a year, you can't feign ignorance.

Wait, she's a relatively pretty white girl??

source.gif

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
So not only did she not pre-plan and arrive to the islands ahead of time for the quarantine, she knowingly took off the tracker as well?

Throw the book at her.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
For people who think jailing is too harsh, what's the practical solution in this scenario other than imprisonment?. Just ask people very nicely to comply with the quarantine rules and hope that they do so? Hope that someone doesn't violate it while infected, and spread the virus to other people? Trying to understand what should be done instead to keep people safe from those who have a blatant disregard for others.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Good. Keep her in jail for the entire period of time -- she's earned it. If it had been some sort of honest mistake, fine, maybe a slap on the wrist is acceptable begrudgingly, but she went out of her way to not comply and should be punished harshly. Willfully broke the law and put a lot of people in danger.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was the jail after she was sentenced or immediately upon arrest? The article doesn't make that clear. It doesn't seem wise to imprison someone for breaking quarantine rules during the quarantine period but after that it's fair game

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
She put herself and others in danger, fully deserved IMO. The only reason this is getting publicity is because she is a pretty white blond teenager.

In Italy they were handing out 3-month jail sentences for breaking quarantine and up to 3000 Euro for not wearing a mask in terms of sanctions IIRC.
Not that far off

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
wow at the people cheering for this...
I'm not gonna cheer for it but I'm tired of people who deliberately break the law like this getting news coverage designed to gain sympathy simply because they're white. You know if this was a black girl instead, this article would not exist. Black people have to suffer greater punishment for lesser or non-existent offenses that need to be caught on camera to get anywhere near this attention and still the news coverage will never be made with as much sympathy as it would for a white person. Especially a young, blonde white woman.

Exactly.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Cayman only has had 316 TOTAL Covid cases, and 2 deaths.

TOTAL.

Plus this gal tested negative.

She ain't going to be the Covid Mary of the island's prison population. She should get the full four months.
Gee I wonder why they have so few? I am so sick of tired of people like them putting others in constant danger for their own selfish reasons.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
This crazy asshole slipped off a tracking bracelet to skip out on mandatory quarantine to go jet skiing. There's no situation you can put her in that she's any more of a danger of spreading the virus than leaving her to her own devices.

Except in an enclosed space like prison. Neither she nor the man should go to prison.

For people who think jailing is too harsh, what's the practical solution in this scenario other than imprisonment?. Just ask people very nicely to comply with the quarantine rules and hope that they do so? Hope that someone doesn't violate it while infected, and spread the virus to other people? Trying to understand what should be done instead to keep people safe from those who have a blatant disregard for others.

I don't think this is a problem that is solved by jail time or fines. In America, both will disproportionately affect minorities. The jail time spreads the virus faster.

I posted earlier about prisons and Covid in the United States. Essentially, you spread the virus faster.

Cayman only has had 316 TOTAL Covid cases, and 2 deaths.

TOTAL.

Plus this gal tested negative.

She ain't going to be the Covid Mary of the island's prison population. She should get the full four months.

If that's the case, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. If the punishment is to prevent spread of the virus then imprisoning her doesn't make sense since she's negative and won't spread the virus. Same with the man if he tested negative.