• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
They are addressing Asia first with Shang Chi and Eternals.

But if they don't have major Latino characters in the new X-men or FF.. . . I mean it's the perfect time to recast what is traditionally all white characters.
Besides storm, magneto, and Xavier, the rest of the xmens culture/race isn't relevant to their characters.
Give me Scott Verano

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
How are we able to accurately know? With so many stage names and a significant number of Hispanics being white, shouldn't we really be complaining about the lack of representation of those who are visibly of mixed descent since that can be objectively seen?

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I would love to see Sunspot brought into the main team for this purpose, or even Rictor.
As for other things White Tiger (the newest) and also Echo from the Daredevil side of things

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I been asking for Hector Ayala to show up in the MCU, but maybe going with Ava who is the fresher face and also a woman would be problem.

Black Panther, Captain Marvel both hit and Shang Chi is on his way. Where our hispanics at? Luis is cool but not enough. I think I have heard rumors of America Chavez but she is literally an alien, I'd like to start with an actual hispanic.

DC should drop Blue Beetle, Jaime is a really good character kids can relate to and the scarab is fucking awesome.
Tony Revolori is Hispanic and is Flash Thompson/future good guy Venom in the Spidey movies.

He was also the lead in Grand Budapest Hotel for whoever was saying Wes Anderson never did a movie with a Hispanic actor.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Tony Revolori is Hispanic and is Flash Thompson/future good guy Venom in the Spidey movies.

He was also the lead in Grand Budapest Hotel for whoever was saying Wes Anderson never did a movie with a Hispanic actor.
Wtf

dudes real name is Anthony Quionez apparently.
what a dick, shoulda kept his real name.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
What I mean is that there's no universal, empirical basis to any separation of humans into races, nor any agreed-upon metric by which to categorize those races. By virtue of it being a subjective concept, different people will have their own ideas regarding what constitutes a "race."
Don't start this nonsense we all know how race is generally used.

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the population was around 12 percent in 2000, so it ballooned significantly in the past 20 years. Based on that statistic, this is a relatively recent development in part to the Mexican US immigration boom of the early 2000s. Give it some time, representation will inevitably come with the current rate demographic shift.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
How are we able to accurately know? With so many stage names and a significant number of Hispanics being white, shouldn't we really be complaining about the lack of representation of those who are visibly of mixed descent since that can be objectively seen?

Most white latinos are mixed too just to a lesser extent than darker latinos and sometimes Latinos with more European blood end up darker than Latinos with less European blood.

Plus it's also good to remind Americans that not all Latinos look the same so I say give white latinos and black latinos more representation too.

We're not all tan.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Super Hispanic names scare the casting people off.

There's a reason that Poe Dameron's actor changed his name from Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada to Oscar Isaac.
I demand a lawsuit against Hollywood casting people.
i demand it!

If I was taller/ had a better voice I would totally try being an actor. I think I could pull it off. Now I'm thinking about whether or not my name would be a hindrence

Last edited:

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
i demand it!

If I was taller/ had a better voice I would totally try being an actor. I think I could pull it off. Now I'm thinking about whether or not my name would be a hindrence
What the hell I didn't post that quote? don't attribute things to people that they didn't post.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf

dudes real name is Anthony Quionez apparently.
what a dick, shoulda kept his real name.

I mean there's more than a few celebrities who don't have Hispanic sounding names(stage or otherwise) who are Hispanic.

Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, Raquel Welch, Bruno Mars, and Vanna White are all Hispanic.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean there's more than a few celebrities who don't have Hispanic sounding names(stage or otherwise) who are Hispanic.

Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, Raquel Welch, Bruno Mars, and Vanna White are all Hispanic.

The tragedy is that they have to hide their Hispanic names to make themselves more marketable.

Charlie Sheen and Martin Sheen both changed their names to sound more American.

Charlie Sheen's real name is Carlos Irwin Estevez.

Martin Sheen's real name is Ramon Gerardo Antonio Estevez.

Bruno Mars' real name is Peter Gene Hernandez (although this is more forgiveable as music artists change their name all the time)

Raquel Welch's real name is Jo Raquel Tejada. She used her husband's name to avoid typecasting as a Latina.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Radio had a huge 90's latin boom as well. Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Enrique Iglesias, Selena, Marc Anthony, Luis Miguel, etc etc. Shit was eeevvvverywhere
It's still everywhere.

In fact some of the most popular artists right now are latin.

If any of you are interested in knowing some interesting stuff you should watch John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morrons on Netflix.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
i demand it!

It's pretty interesting seeing Martin Sheen(Ramon Estevez), Charlie Sheen(Carlos Estevez) and Emilio Estevez' point of view on this. Martin used his stage name because of discrimination but regrets it, Charlie Sheen wanted to capitalize on his father's brand name and Emilio just couldn't get behind it and is proud of his Hispanic heritage.

Like Charlie Sheen says himself that he doesn' feel Hispanic although he acknowledges that part of himself. He just feels like another white guy. But his brother, Emilio, does feel Hispanic.

Tidbits from those interviews:

Apparently, Martin Sheen's father was super-disappointed when he saw his son starring in a play under his stage rather than his real name that he shook his head.

And Emilio Estevez said he had people come up to him just telling him how much it meant to them seeing his Hispanic name on the big screen.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
so, being born to white parents on a latin country, and being raised there, does that make you "latino" or "hispanic" or what?

If you're born and raised in Latin America, it makes you both a Latino and a Hispanic (Brazil excluded for the latter), regardless of the race of your parents.

Im aware that you can be white and have hispanic or latin ancestry. Joaquin Phoenix doesn't have any hispanic or latin ancestry.

You're right that Joaquin Phoenix being considered Hispanic/Latino is quite a stretch, as he was only coincidentally born there and was not raised as a Puerto Rican. However, you don't need Hispanic/Latin ancestry to be Hiapanic or Latin. If a Polish couple, for example, migrated to Latin America and had their children born and raised there, as Spanish speakers, they would be both Hispanic and Latino.

OP is calling for Hispanics to be cast in color-blind/neutral roles. Is it still representation when the character isn't culturally Hispanic?

Yes.

I consider it a race and I think that's something that will soon be accepted in the world. I'm Latin myself, and usually, we don't look like anybody else. He have very distinct features that define us, on top of having one of the most hugely popular cultures in the world. Thing is, there's different kinds of Latinos, and if they don't fall under white or black, then yeah, they are their own thing. It's pretty simple for me. I'm not white or black, I'm Latin. The world's bigger than just black and white.

It's not a race, and what you're doing is called erasure. You say we have "distinct features", but you're probably thinking about mestizo features, which not all Latinos have because... not all Latinos are mestizo. By trying to make Hispanic or Latino a race, you're excluding (thus erasing) the rights of Latinos descended from Africans, Asians, Indians, Polynesians, Middle Eastern and European to be called Latino and to identify as such.

Please don't do that.

I always took "Hispanic" to mean someone associated with a Spanish-based culture/background (whether that's Spain proper, Cuba, Argentina, etc..) and "Latino" to mean someone of Latin-American ethnicity (The Aboriginal/European/African mix that's common in South America). All Latinos are Hispanic, but not all Hispanics are Latino.

Hispanic celebrities like Martin Sheen, Cameron Diaz, or that girl from Blade Runner 2049 probably aren't what most people are thinking of when they call for more Hispanic representation.

No such thing as a "Latin American ethnicity". The indigenous/European/African mix you're thinking about is called mestizo. But non-mestizos are still Latino if they are born and raised in Latin America.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
so, being born to white parents on a latin country, and being raised there, does that make you "latino" or "hispanic" or what?
Absolutely yes. I have ethnically Japanese cousins who were born and raised in Mexico, have a Mexican passport, and no one ever questions their Mexican-ness. Ideally no one should feel excluded, but people who "don't look Mexican" yet are part of the culture/language would have no problem fitting in Mexican society as opposed to a "Mexican looking" person who is culturally American or whatever.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people naming Spanish actors and people that aren't American in this thread? This should be about Hispanics that actually count toward the 18%

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
His parents are white he just happened to be born in Puerto Rico.

This is pretty much why Lupita has Mexican citizenship. Her Luo dad was teaching there and she was born there then her parents moved back to Kenya before she even turned 1.

So when people use her as an example of Latinos in movies... 👀

Gives me a forest for the trees feeling

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the population was around 12 percent in 2000, so it ballooned significantly in the past 20 years. Based on that statistic, this is a relatively recent development in part to the Mexican US immigration boom of the early 2000s. Give it some time, representation will inevitably come with the current rate demographic shift.
The irony is that representation was slightly better back then.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Good topic OP.

I wonder how many actors we know as Black or White are also ethnically Latino/Hispanic, but for sake of landing jobs don't make it known or obvious.

It think it'll take more diversity at the producer and director level for Hispanic representation to begin to match the demographics. Pretty much what has been (slowly but surely) happening for Black's in Hollywood will need to happen here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people naming Spanish actors and people that aren't American in this thread? This should be about Hispanics that actually count toward the 18%
I don't think it really matters where the person is from when it comes to representation. A very large amount of white actors in Hollywood are actually British rather than American. Do those people just not count into that total? I'm pretty sure they do.

HighResTomato

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hispanic representation in America really is piss poor in pretty much all visible culture, I think a lot of this has to do the language barrier, as well as the obvious virulent racism of course

Compare Hispanic representation to African American representation in America, it's pretty much night and day

Well "American" pop culture is heavily driven by African Americans and even then they get under represented. Everyone in America bites their shit, including Hispanics.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Well "American" pop culture is heavily driven by African Americans and even then they get under represented. Everyone in America bites their shit, including Hispanics.

Come on it's a give and take thing between Black Americans and Hispanics. Low rider culture and a lot of shit of stuff found in Black Hip-hop culture, especially in places like Miami, LA, and New York, comes from Hispanic cultures.

I don't think it really matters where the person is from when it comes to representation. A very large amount of white actors in Hollywood are actually British rather than American. Do those people just not count into that total? I'm pretty sure they do.

The number the OP is quoting is from our national census.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number the OP is quoting is from our national census.
Okay? But the actors working in Hollywood aren't all American. So it's not 1:1. I don't see why Spanish people shouldn't count as Hispanic representation in Hollywood films. That doesn't make sense. They literally do in everything else.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Hispanics are represented. And yes, I'm Hispanic.

I don't understand how anyone could think this. There is actually data saying we are not represented fairly.

Okay? But the actors working in Hollywood aren't all American. So it's not 1:1. I don't see why Spanish people shouldn't count as Hispanic representation in Hollywood films. That doesn't make sense. They literally do in everything else.

Because most of them are fucking white.

Let's get real. When people ask for Latino representation they're asking for Mestizo representation not some white people from the country that colonized our land.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
The tragedy is that they have to hide their Hispanic names to make themselves more marketable.

Charlie Sheen and Martin Sheen both changed their names to sound more American.

Charlie Sheen's real name is Carlos Irwin Estevez.

Martin Sheen's real name is Ramon Gerardo Antonio Estevez.

Bruno Mars' real name is Peter Gene Hernandez (although this is more forgiveable as music artists change their name all the time)

Raquel Welch's real name is Jo Raquel Tejada. She used her husband's name to avoid typecasting as a Latina.
Can't forget Ritchie Valens either.