• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Multiple insiders* have flat out said 2019 is off the table. Sony supposedly originally planned for 2019 but the plans changed.

Could be early next year though since Switch showed the industry you can launch new hardware outside of the holidays.

* Unless you're an insider rebuking this....!
tenor.gif

no :(

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to know how they came up with those 18%....
They polled developers. Being GDC they have a list of historical attendees, and they asked 4000 of them. (more, but 4000 replied)

[edit] I clicked on the link in the link, and got a PDF full of fun numbers back. Probably a virus too, because their site is mis-configured.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have expected a larger percentage. But then again it makes sense, a lot of companies are also going to support their games for years to come, so they are not technically next-gen games (even though I expect them to run on the new consoles as well).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Besides graphics, what can the next gen consoles provide gameplay wise that we can't already on Ps4/Xb1?

We're about to go from low budget Jaguar CPUs to Zen2. It's going to be big.

I would argue that we're going to see a bigger jump from the PS4/Xbox One --> next-gen than we did going from the 360/PS3 to the PS4/Xbox One. It's really such a monumental leap in CPU power that we're going to see massive changes to the very core nature of games - larger, but more complex and engaging worlds. Superior AI, increased numbers of enemies/objects on screen at a given time, etc.

Dec 31, 2017
Don't get the whining about cross-gen, makes the transition more affordable to smaller Devs and doesn't leave a potential 200+ million console gamers money on the table.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
That two percent is more alarming to me. By now a lot more people should be working on exclusive games.
I think that's' the Switch effect, no one wants to miss that train, also PS4 selling so well it would be a shame to just throw that install base out particularly if the bump in graphics is not that noticeable

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's actually much more than that. Many devs can't say whether or not they are. Other devs are working on next-gen hardware, but they don't know it's next-gen just yet. That number is actually MUCH higher.

As mentioned in the article, 37% of them couldn't (or wouldn't) respond, so there is indeed a good chance the actual number is higher. The question is by how much.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
People expecting new consoles this year are in for a big disappointment.

Start of next gen is going to be a bit slow but hopefully not as slow as this gen was. Not surprised by the cross platform percentage although it's disappointing in some ways.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I think it's way more than that lol. We're only ~22 months from launch
I'm not so sure, how many true Next Gen titles did we get with the Xbox One and PS4 launch? Barely any, most of them were ports from the last generation, I don't consider crossgen titles nextgen cause they still run off of oldgen engines so they work fine on the lastgen consoles too.

Besides: if you wanted to as a developer, you could be developing nextgen titles for two or three years by now, thanks to the PC. Just look at CD Projekt Red for example ;)

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Not every game but imagine fighting with over 100 enemies on screen in next gen God of War game. This is gonna be EPIC!
Or fighting with 100s enemies on screen with actual, non-scripted NPC battles including real-time aerial dogfights taking place and the game keeping track of all the casualties while you're focused on something else in a single-player campaign with lots more going on.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Stupid question.

But to what modern desktop CPU can this Zen2 be compared to?
Probably any AMD X86/X64 CPU with 8 Cores/16 Threads, so Ryzen or Ryzen 2 comes to mind. Sure you won't code to the metal as a developer this early in the game but that isn't needed for the first batch of Next Gen Titles to blow us away anyway. The X86 64Bit CPU is something developers have worked with since 2003, when intel and AMD came up with their Desktop 64Bit CPUs.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
People should expect at least 2 years of cross gen titles. All generations had a 2 years minimum, and probably because the architecture we will see multiple cross gen titles on next years.

Exclusive games when you have backward compatibly, is pretty stupid economically for third parties.

2015 had few cross-gen games, actually.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
What if its a PS4 Pro situation? Sony/MS releases PS5/XB2 with PS4/XB1 BC and most developers keep making games on PS4/XB1 games with Pro/X/PS5 patches until they are ready to make next gen only games or cross gen games.

It's totally going to be a repeat of PS4 Pro and the beginning of this gen. Lots of cross-gen titles and the "real" next-gen games only start coming in a year or two after launch.