• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe she was a bit "over the top" for some, but how can you not get angry at what is currently happening?
We have to react now and we have to give our best, so that our kids (and their kids) can enjoy this beautiful planet.

Mankind has the power to change the fate of the planet but everyone has to do a little bit for it.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
We live in an economy

Sea levels rise up
giphy.gif

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
People changing habits and being less wasteful would be a huge help, but it's not enough. We need to invest trillions of dollars into building clean energy grids all over the world and we need to do it quickly. Only governments can do that.
The single biggest impact to climate change would be for people to change their diet.

Instead, people will praise this girl and shit on governments through mouthfuls of steak.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe she was a bit "over the top" for some, but how can you not get angry at what is currently happening?
We have to react now and we have to give our best, so that our kids (and their kids) can enjoy this beautiful planet.

Mankind has the power to change the fate of the planet but everyone has to do a little bit for it.
Most people still don't grasp what is about to happen. It's one thing to say that you worry about climate change. It's another thing entirely to truly understand how things will change for everyone.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
I used the financial crisis to highlight the potential economic cost. That was a relatively small event that has over the past decade had an immense impact on not just the global economy but also our politics. Donald Trump isn't president in a world where the global financial crisis doesn't happen.

The costs of meaningfully addressing climate change are significant. That isn't the same as saying those costs shouldn't occur. We must address climate change. It is more a question of how and over what time frame.

Many people in this thread would like to fix the issue overnight. But the economic consequences of trying to fix climate change in just a few years would be catastrophic. Many times worse than the global financial crisis and the Great Recession. Some argue that this is a small price to pay, and in the event of a mass extinction event that is clearly true, but the economic and social impact of climate change, in the event of no policy shift, is unclear.

Climate scientists can tell us a lot about how climate will change. But what that means for the economy and society is more a question for economists. And as an economist myself, there is very little agreement in that space. I can tell you that the global economy must change but I cannot say whether the correct policy to make this change over 3 or 5 or 10-years. Nobody can.

I personally hate that the world has dragged its feet on this issue. I am Australian and our record on climate change is terrible. Worst perhaps than any other country. We had policies in place at the turn of the decade, policies that worked quite well, but those were undermined by politics.

I'm also acutely aware of the economics and politics at play here. The world haven't dragged its feet because global leaders are terrible (although some obviously are). It is mostly because we haven't found a way to solve the problem that is palatable to voters.

The likes of Greta Thunberg remind us of our obligations to younger and future generations. But she also doesn't have policy suggestions that can achieve her goals. And to be fair we should never expect 16-year olds to have those answers. The truth is there is no easy answer here and if there was we would have already solved the problem. Global leaders are navigating an almost impossible conundrum, some much better than others, and we shouldn't ignore the real world constraints that formulate policy.

I know that it isn't as easy as it seems, but we had a long time to prepare and to change. I can't accept that in the last 100 years companies couldn't find any way to reduce the harm they were causing. I cannot cause a meaningful change, activists cannot cause a meaningful change. There are very few few people with the power to do something meaningful, and i don't trust that they will do anything different than what their predecessors were doing in the last century. We can clean all the beaches we want and never use straws again, but at the end of the day we are at the mercy of people who didn't give a shit until the shit hit the fan.

I understand where you're coming from but i just have no empathy left. We're either headed for an economic collapse or an environmental collapse, and i don't think the world can bounce back when there are no animals left on earth and crops won't grow. We basically waited until the last minute to do our assignment and now we just hope we can pass the class.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
If enough people gave up meat, for example, there could be real change. It is absolutely on the individual as well.

But you have to realize that that "if" is big enough that it'd be naive to bet the farm on people voluntarily changing their habits on a scale that would make a difference.

Not to mention the fact that people are caught in a system that requires harmful behavior to function, driving to work for example. Or the fact that meat and dairy is subsidized while alternatives are more expensive.

Or the simple fact that stagnant wages and the erosion of social securities has made simple surviving just about all most people want to and can think about. Which is yet another reason why they won't easily go for the more expensive meat substitutes in the supermarket.

You have to think about the bigger picture and it aint pretty.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But you have to realize that that "if" is big enough that it'd be naive to bet the farm on people voluntarily changing their habits on a scale that would make a difference.

Not to mention the fact that people are caught in a system that requires harmful behavior to function, driving to work for example. Or the fact that meat and dairy is subsidized while alternatives are more expensive.
And that kind of defeatist attitude is a huge part of the problem.

Alternatives are not expensive. A vegan diet can be built using basic components that are very cheap: vegetables, fruits, grains, pulses... people lack the motivation which is the main problem. It doesn't even take that much extra time.

People don't try, very often, because they think "what's the point?".

We need to drop that attitude, fast.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
If enough people gave up meat, for example, there could be real change. It is absolutely on the individual as well.
I don't believe in free will. What people are is a result of their environment when being raised, and our current environment/society is created top down, mostly by the rich and elite. For people to stop eating meat, that change will have to start with the elites, and even then, you are gonna be fighting the nature of people who have already grown up to eat meat, and will therefore be teaching their children to eat meat too. Society changes VERY slowly.

I NEVER liked those who push for all individuals to just "change", and then complain that everyone is immoral when people continue on the way they always were.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in free will. What people are is a result of their environment when being raised, and our current environment/society is created top down, mostly by the rich and elite. For people to stop eating meat, that change will have to start with the elites, and even then, you are gonna be fighting the nature of people who have already grown up to eat meat, and will therefore be teaching their children to eat meat too. Society changes VERY slowly.

I NEVER liked those who push for all individuals to just "change", and then complain that everyone is immoral when people continue on the way they always were.
We have more than enough free will to make a change ourselves.

Stop making excuses and do it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, it's called being realistic.

In case you don't speak Dutch, it says: "Meat consumption up over all despite apparent popularity of meat substitutes."

We need radical policy changes and we need them yesterday.
And everyone in this thread can help that by stopping their meat consumption and putting calls in to their local reps and getting involved in grass movements, etc...

Stop making excuses. Start helping.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
And that kind of defeatist attitude is a huge part of the problem.

Alternatives are not expensive. A vegan diet can be built using basic components that are very cheap: vegetables, fruits, grains, pulses... people lack the motivation which is the main problem. It doesn't even take that much extra time.

People don't try, very often, because they think "what's the point?".

We need to drop that attitude, fast.

I read a lot of stuff fun the longevity expert, Valter Longo. A mostly Mediterranean based vegan diet with occasional oily fish is seemingly the best way to live longer and healthier.

Maybe we'd get more success appealing to people in a way were the benefit is there's since they don't care about the planet.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
And everyone in this thread can help that by stopping their meat consumption and putting calls in to their local reps and getting involved in grass movements, etc...

Indeed. It's so easy to eat less beef. Or meat in general, for that matter. Jesus fucking christ people.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean there is only so much one can do. My wife and I cut down on traveling (have not been on an airplane since 2015) we don't own a car and only use public traffic, our flat usually has between 19 and 20 degree celcius during the winter because we don't use the heater, we cut down our meat consumption (and we only eat beef for special occasions)...but than you hear friends talking about flying 3-4 times next year, buying a new huge car that is not a hybrid or electric. like, we are not even a drop in the ocean.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
We have more than enough free will to make a change ourselves.

Stop making excuses and do it.
Humans are quite literally nothing more that organic meat robots that believe themselves special because they experience the illusion of consciousness.
You can get a few people to change by yelling about it online and convincing them real life, thus introducing more variables into their life that may result in them choosing veganism, but you are only ever gonna convince people who were already somewhat predisposed to it due to who they are as a person.

For the rest of society, reform of society is a REQUIREMENT, and this takes a LONG time, or it takes a disaster to shake people up very thoroughly, and that disaster will probably be when it's too late.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wrong, it's called being realistic.

In case you don't speak Dutch, it says: "Meat consumption up over all despite apparent popularity of meat substitutes."

We need radical policy changes and we need them yesterday.

No, you're shifting blame.

If you think it'd be near impossible for everyone to switch their diet. How hard do you think it would be to implement radical policy changes? Because, if you like it or not, those radical policy changes will end up impacting regular folk a whole lot more than having to switch out meat and dairy.

At the end of the day, both things will have to happen. And both things can happen at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. But the shifting blame attitude, hoping for someone else to fix the problem (with the hope that that will not massively impact the average person) is just so naive and lazy. If we can't even switch our diet, how the fuck are we going to rework our entire civilization.

(Not a direct attack on you Fallout, but I'm just so tired of this way of thinking I'm seeing an awful lot around here)

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Humans are quite literally nothing more that organic meat robots that believe themselves special because they experience the illusion of consciousness.
You can get a few people to change by yelling about it online and convincing them real life, thus introducing more variables into their life that may result in them choosing veganism, but you are only ever gonna convince people who were already somewhat predisposed to it due to who they are as a person.

For the rest of society, reform of society is a REQUIREMENT, and this takes a LONG time, or it takes a disaster to shake people up very thoroughly, and that disaster will probably be when it's too late.
by spouting BS like this we will not convince anyone. did you get here from r/atheism and got lost?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there is only so much one can do. My wife and I cut down on traveling (have not been on an airplane since 2015) we don't own a car and only use public traffic, our flat usually has between 19 and 20 degree celcius during the winter because we don't use the heater, we cut down our meat consumption (and we only eat beef for special occasions)...but than you hear friends talking about flying 3-4 times next year, buying a new huge car that is not a hybrid or electric. like, we are not even a drop in the ocean.
You're doing good things. Ever thought about activism of some kind?

For the rest of society, reform of society is a REQUIREMENT, and this takes a LONG time, or it takes a disaster to shake people up very thoroughly.
And reform starts when people call for it. Like Greta.

If all the people reading this started to involve themselves in activism, you never know which action could spark something.

We need to get our heads out of the sand, stop waiting on changes from above, and start acting. Now.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
And reform starts when people call for it. Like Greta.

If all the people reading this started to involve themselves in activism, you never know which action could spark something.

We need to get our heads out of the sand, stop waiting on changes from above, and start acting. Now.
Yes, I agree. Greta is very important, and activism is very important.
I just don't like how so many people like to blame the individual, because for most individuals may as well be slaves to the upper classes, and the changes they can make are nothing compared to what the upper class can do, and what they are not doing.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
No, you're shifting blame.

If you think it'd be near impossible for everyone to switch their diet. How hard do you think it would be to implement radical policy changes? Because, if you like it or not, those radical policy changes will end up impacting regular folk a whole lot more than having to switch out meat and dairy.

At the end of the day, both things will have to happen. And both things can happen at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. But the shifting blame attitude, hoping for someone else to fix the problem (with the hope that that will not massively impact the average person) is just so naive and lazy. If we can't even switch our diet, how the fuck are we going to rework our entire civilization.

(Not a direct attack on you Fallout, but I'm just so tired of this way of thinking I'm seeing an awful lot around here)

You probably misunderstand me in some way.

Of course I do not think policy changes will not have a massive effect on the average person. I'm hoping for the exact opposite in fact.

For the record, I have completely cut meat out of my own diet. But at the same time it's obvious, see the source I cited, it's not happening on a big enough scale. Your justified exasperation and disappointment therefore IS THE EXACT REASON why policy changes are needed.

Hoping for change based on moral convictions in a system that is entirely adverse to such change is futile. Also, just look at some of the threads on veganism and the carbon footprint of meat eating and how receptive people are of that idea right here on ERA, and this is supposed to some kind of bastion for 'the left' for god's sake.

Eh yeah, mostly agreed, but the absolute best case scenario is that this activism will force the 'above' to make the changes that are needed.

Activists will not inspire the masses to eat less meat, not on a scale that will save us anyway. Never mind the fact that meat is just one of the many many things that are contributing to co2.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree. Greta is very important, and activism is very important.
I just don't like how so many people like to blame the individual, because for most individuals may as well be slaves to the upper classes, and the changes they can make are nothing compared to what the upper class can do, and what they are not doing.
We are to blame. If we're not taking part in activism and doing our part, we are absolutely part of the problem.

We have more power than you think, we need to start using it.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You probably misunderstand me in some way.

Of course I do not think policy changes will not have a massive effect on the average person. I'm hoping for the exact opposite in fact.

For the record, I have completely cut meat out of my own diet. But at the same time it's obvious, see the source I cited, it's not happening on a big enough scale. Your justified exasperation and disappointment therefore IS THE EXACT REASON why policy changes are needed.

Hoping for change based on moral convictions in a system that is entirely adverse to such change is futile. Also, just look at some of the threads on veganism and the carbon footprint of meat eating and how receptive people are of that idea right here on ERA, and this is supposed to some kind of bastion for 'the left' for god's sake.

Cheers, definitely misunderstood you. My bad.

Definitely on board with your ideas there.

Oct 27, 2017
Any politician that enacts sweeping changes won't be a politician much longer. Very few politician are going to ban fossil fuels. Very few politician are going to ban meat consumption. Very few politician are going to want their economies to crash. Because doing so will get them fired/recalled/voted out immediately. Why? Because the people of the countries don't want to change. They want to run their SUVs and ACs all day and then blame big corps for the climate problems.

Here is exhibit A of that:
If all politicians came together on this issue them the individuals wouldn't have a fucking choice

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The global economy is so new It's crazy we're going to allow its machinations to fuck up the planet. It really is a monster with its tentacles across the globe.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
We are to blame. If we're not taking part in activism and doing our part, we are absolutely part of the problem.

We have more power than you think, we need to start using it.
Theoretically, if everyone everywhere just got up and did something, then yeah, we would have a lot of power to throw around.
The thing is, this isn't going to happen. To be more specific, it's not gonna happen until we reach a point where the majority of us can no longer afford modern luxuries. (And this point probably won't be reached until the damage done to our world is IMMENSE).

And now is the point where a lot of people would call those in society who don't act bad people. I would say that the kind of people who say that are probably the kind of people who think propaganda has no effect on them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, if everyone everywhere just got up and did something, then yeah, we would have a lot of power to throw around.
The thing is, this isn't going to happen. To be more specific, it's not gonna happen until we reach a point where the majority of us can no longer afford modern luxuries. (And this point probably won't be reached until the damage done to our world is IMMENSE).

And now is the point where a lot of people would call those in society who don't act bad people. I would say that the kind of people who say that are probably the kind of people who think propaganda has no effect on them.
Again, defeatist. We need action, not excuses.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the environmental issues we're facing are caused by large corporations. The notion that we can bike to work and eat less meat to save the world is a farce.

Uhmm but if everyone would suddenly stop eating red meat and using bikes to get to work then you have already two major branches of industry which would extinct overnight or at least needs to adjust to the new reality. Why do you think vegan is becoming so popular among every restaurant? Because people demand it! Ofc our action and buying behavior influences any big corporation. Just ask Microsoft and their Xbox One announcement. Prime example of how much power consumers can have :D

Last edited:

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
The prevalent attitude in my country's online discourse is that she is yet another stooge, exploited by Western nations and its liberal media to try to stall the improvement of quality of life in developing countries like us.

No, I don't believe it's true. I also believe in the fact of man made climate change. But it raises an interesting question to y'all: how do we, more knowledgeable people, persuade developing countries into reversing or even simply slowing down the catastrophe?

I am defeatist but only because I've seen what others think, and I myself don't have an answer to that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The prevalent attitude in my country's online discourse is that she is yet another stooge, exploited by Western nations and its liberal media to try to stall the improvement of quality of life in developing countries like us.

No, I don't believe it's true. I also believe in the fact of man made climate change. But it raises an interesting question to y'all: how do we, more knowledgeable people, persuade developing countries into reversing or even simply slowing down the catastrophe?

I am defeatist but only because I've seen what others think, and I myself don't have an answer to that.
We start by leading by example.
We continue by getting involved in grass roots movements, activism, and contacting our local reps.

The more people do this, the more chance there is for change.

Or we can sit on message boards and say "what can we do?" over and over.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
People like to think that Autistic people can't think for themselves, and young people also can't think for themselves.
Therefore, she MUST have been groomed to say these things. Having been an Autistic Teen 5 years ago, I can attest to how these people are idiots.

Otherwise, I suspect many are reading her autistic behaviours - in part because of others framing them - as signs of abuse. Her overly dramatic inflection? Clearly the sign of trauma! And not... uh... the kind of media and references for emoting she's taken in.

Feb 10, 2018
Very brave, and she is 100% correct.
I think USA and EUROPE should lead by example and they need to invest to make greener energy systems more economicly attractive to less developed countries, more attractive then china's and Russia fossil feul energy plants.
But unfortunately it comes down to cost, and fossil fuels are cheaper then green energy, no way China and Russia are going to take a route which is better for the environment but puts them in a weaker geopolitical position.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another thread were the usual suspects of Western white era do not want to change in the slightest their consumption habits.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Both sides have failed here, that shouldn't be a controversial opinion.

You can't go around giving Democrats the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making meaningful changes in this country due to systemic barriers and obstruction, then turn around and blame climate activists for not successfully changing the world. You could maybe argue there isn't enough activism, but fuck trying to pin the blame on people actually trying to do something. It's not their fault human beings were programmed to be selfish assholes.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Let's stop eating meat, and ride bikes to work. We can celebrate our achievements as the world burns anyway because the economic system is still there, but cheers!

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
You can't go around giving Democrats the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making meaningful changes in this country due to systemic barriers and obstruction, then turn around and blame climate activists for not successfully changing the world. You could maybe argue there isn't enough activism, but fuck trying to pin the blame on people actually trying to do something. It's not their fault human beings were programmed to be selfish assholes.

I acknowledged the activists don't bear the majority of the blame, but doing the same thing with activism hasn't worked and it seems like they're not changing anything in how to achieve the victory we need. The fact that the movement relies on a 16 year old as a beacon of hope is not a sign it's an advantage, no-one should have shoulder that responsibility by themselves and certainly not a teenager. They didn't save the world, what do you expect me to respond to that? We lost and now climate change is coming for us. It is their fault they didn't find the solution to get the world on track, that's what they signed on for. It's immensely disappointing in the shadow of the movements who managed to achieve large goals, like the civil rights and LGBT + movements. Where are the leaders who are going to us save us?

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just heavily tax beef
That would work. An indirect method like quota on how much land can be used for livestock feed would also work well. Some estimates have around 30% of the planets farmable land being used to grow livestock feed. The vast majority of that going to beef cattle. That's ridiculously inefficient even without looking at it through a climate change lense.