• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Was curious how much I could get with a trade in of my 2015 15" Pro, and it looks like they'd give me $710 today for it. How much of a discount is the education joint? Is it really easy to just...sign up for that? And can you pair that with a trade in? Cause if so, I can knock off around 30% of the price of this thing, whew, Merry Christmas to me.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
You can get a window's equivalent laptop much cheaper, which can also play games, many (if not most) an apple cannot.

I mean a lot of Windows laptops with similar specs will be in the $1700-1900 range at least, not that much cheaper. Games aren't really a factor for me, I mostly just use my laptop for programming.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question; are there a lot of people balking at the price of high end graphics cards around here? I never go into those threads, so I don't know.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
$1,700- $1,900 is still much cheaper than $2,399-2,799!
a9b.jpg

Seriously, those are some ridiculous surcharges over what it actually provides.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
This is the next generation replacement for the 15". Spring 2020 will probably be the 14/13" version. So most likely if you're looking for the larger model, this is it. If you want the smaller one then wait. I doubt Apple will have a new refresh in the spring that includes the 16" since it's so new. However they did just do a refresh of the 15" a few months ago, but that was also a very end of life update as now the 15" is dead. The 16" is the new line. So it probably wont get an update that soon.

If you need it now, buy it now. Otherwise wait.
Understood, thank you very much!

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Was curious how much I could get with a trade in of my 2015 15" Pro, and it looks like they'd give me $710 today for it. How much of a discount is the education joint? Is it really easy to just...sign up for that? And can you pair that with a trade in? Cause if so, I can knock off around 30% of the price of this thing, whew, Merry Christmas to me.
You literally just click education store on their site. Nothing more to it. Its usually $100'discount on laptops

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Now they just need to release a non touch bar version for $2000 and I'll upgrade my 2015 15"

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice price. Nice refinements. So tempting, but I can't afford it / justify it.

That doesn't stop me from opening google sheets and totalling up how much I could sell this shitty legacy gaming PC for. It's just lying around, pretty much just a Plex server with a GTX 1080 at this point. That only gets me 1/3 of the way there though and my late 2013 rMPB isn't worth much either.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Well, when my beloved 2015 15" MBP finally gives out, I guess I've got an upgrade path again.

Glad Apple swallowed their pride and finally admitted they made a mistake on the keyboard.

Yeah, this is where I am at. My 2015 is working great, but feeling a little constrained now with its 16GB ram. But I got a sweet deal on it (recertified) thru Microcenter, and haven't regretted it for a second through these keyboard horror stories. Now I can plan for the future.

Maybe I can power through for a year or two, then upgrade. I had a 2011 17" before this one, and I still miss the extra real estate on the go.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Which of these two seem to be the better "value" in y'all's opinion?

Option 1:

2.4 8-core i9
512 GB SSD
32GB ram
8GB gpu
$3019

Option 2:

2.3 8-core i9
1 TB SSD
32GB ram
8GB gpu
$3049

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Care to elaborate? Because I'm pretty sure it's got the best possible CPU (9980HK?) you can get in a laptop today. Same with the SSD, battery life, screen, trackpad, fit and finish, resale value, and retail support. They're all industry-leading. And the keyboard is finally fixed. This thing is a no-brainer for $2199 EDU. It will pay itself off within 2-3 project invoices and when its time to upgrade the resale value is comfortably in the 40-50% range
Cheaper than expected is not calling the computer cheap.
How can anyone claim the keyboard is fixed after not even a day in anyone's hands? Apple has said they fixed the keyboard like two times now. Going back to the old style keys and people calling it a great keyboard is horseshit to be quite honest.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There isn't a windows equivalent for cheaper, they're actually the same price or more.

And these machines were never meant to play games, they're for business and creative use. Totally different demographic and design priorities.
Macs for business is also a horsehit claim. Creative work? Sure? Productivity? Bullshit. They also still don't play nice in any standardized IT environment. Managing macs is a pain in the ass.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not worth it. Keep that MBP.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yeah, this is where I am at. My 2015 is working great, but feeling a little constrained now with its 16GB ram. But I got a sweet deal on it (recertified) thru Microcenter, and haven't regretted it for a second through these keyboard horror stories. Now I can plan for the future.

Maybe I can power through for a year or two, then upgrade. I had a 2011 17" before this one, and I still miss the extra real estate on the go.
What do you do where you feel constrained with 16-GB of RAM? Like really?

Feb 1, 2018
I'm here to die on a hill

what is the clear advantage? I'm asking as someone who owned four Mac laptops who switched totally. There are some bonuses here and there left in macOS, but there are other nice aspects to Windows...

My clients need prores files, Windows can't really encode it. Adobe CC Windows JUST got that ability this year. Other apps (like Resolve PC) still can't do it. I don't have time to keep up with who's app does and who's app doesn't and who's updating what to support which thing. I have deadlines, a mac gets out of the way and lets me work. Minimal troubleshooting, tinkering, and other prosumer/hobbyist nonsense.

And there's no out-of-the-box equivalent to AirDrop, AirPlay, Preview, Quick Look, Facetime/iMessage, handoff, continuity, Time Machine, Migration Assistant, and apple watch unlock.

And the fit and finish on Windows laptops still isn't there. They creak when you pick it up. They're loud. They're hot. They have ugly ass designs (except Surface) and come pre-installed with bloatware. The power supplies are ugly. The resale value is trash, you might as well just recycle it. It's just a lesser experience and I don't want to save money to endure it. Not worth it.

Macs for business is also a horsehit claim. Creative work? Sure? Productivity? Bullshit. They also still don't play nice in any standardized IT environment. Managing macs is a pain in the ass.

IBM proved you wrong

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
What do you do where you feel constrained with 16-GB of RAM? Like really?

VMs, Docker, development, testing. Add in Outlook, Word, Excel and a bunch of tabs open, and you got yourself a stew going. Like I said I can and have been dealing, but 32 GB would be a lot more comfortable. Heck even my 2011 MBP had 16GB after being upgraded a couple years after purchase.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA

My clients need prores files, Windows can't really encode it. Adobe CC Windows JUST got that ability this year. Other apps (like Resolve PC) still can't do it. I don't have time to keep up with who's app does and who's app doesn't and who's updating what to support which thing. I have deadlines, a mac gets out of the way and lets me work. Minimal troubleshooting, tinkering, and other prosumer/hobbyist nonsense.

And there's no out-of-the-box equivalent to AirDrop, AirPlay, Preview, Quick Look, Facetime/iMessage, handoff, continuity, Time Machine, Migration Assistant, and apple watch unlock.

And the fit and finish on Windows laptops still isn't there. They creak when you pick it up. They're loud. They're hot. They have ugly ass designs (except Surface) and come pre-installed with bloatware. The power supplies are ugly. The resale value is trash, you might as well just recycle it. It's just a lesser experience and I don't want to save money to endure it. Not worth it.

I can see if the industry supports your format better on Mac.

Time Machine is hot fucking trash, dude. Also, when you start getting into home user software that kind of needs iOS devices signed in to work, it's...a little different.

Also the fit and finish of my Lenovo is fantastic. I also have a real keyboard, which as a power user who types all the time...is...great.

Sep 14, 2019
Was able to return my 15" MacBook Pro to Best Buy.

Now I have to wait for them to have the 16" in stock and make sure they don't run out before I buy mine.

I don't have a computer until then...

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone claim the keyboard is fixed after not even a day in anyone's hands? Apple has said they fixed the keyboard like two times now. Going back to the old style keys and people calling it a great keyboard is horseshit to be quite honest.

I mean the issue was with the butterfly mechanism that they kept trying to double down on with multiple revisions. Apple isn't going to screw up on a scissor keyboard..a keyboard they have historically been very good at making.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell do some people care so much that others buy computers that they personally don't care for?

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

IBM proved you wrong

Do you work in IT? If not you can't say shit. Macs don't play nice with nearly any server environment. I don't care how much PR and partnerships Apple makes. Basically functionality of attaching to an AD server or Azure is still fundamentally broken. You are required to pay for a 3rd party MDM to do basic functions.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My local Best Buy had then on sale (about $300 cheaper), in case you still wanted the 15".

Nah, I'm still rocking a mid 2014 13", don't have the cash to get a new system till I graduate, only reason I'm interested in new systems is;

1) The lack of a dedicated GPU is starting to show for my laptop
2) Only getting 8GB of RAM at the time of purchase is starting to really show

So I was hoping on getting a new system after I graduate next year, but it looks like I'm about to drop ~2.5K for the new 16 inch a year from now lol

Edit: Although looking at things, this seems like a pretty decent improvement in terms of value for price?

Edit Edit: Oh fuck the killed the butterfly!

Last edited:

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is still an Apple tax of some $500-1000. Upgrading the RAM from 16 to 32 is $400, but I suppose anyone doing that is likely getting a business expense.

that being said, they are moving in the right direction.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

IBM proved you wrong

Windows has miracast built in and it also has nearby sharing which is somewhat equivalent to airdrop other than I think it only works across PC's.

I get if you are all in with the Apple eco system it has its perks. But I'll never take anyone at their word when they say Macs get things out of the way and let me work. That's only true if you're work place doesn't have requirements with a users technology.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing Another User; Prior Warning for Similar Behavior
Imagine buying a $1000+ laptop in 2019 without a Thunderbolt 3 port.

See what I did there?
Imagine buying a +$2300 "pro" laptop in 2019 without a touchscreen/pen support. Without an SD port. Without WiFi 6. With a 720p Webcam, a useless touchbar...

See what I did there? Twat

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Tempted. Currently having a base model 2016 MBP w/ TB which still works pretty fine for most things but with the 16" I could sell my iMac and move all music production stuff to the 16". (after the DAW/Plugin devs get their stuff working on Catalina) But the model I would want would end up being 3800€, which is quite a lot. Maybe I wait till next year for an update on the 13".