• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Conservative health care experiment leads to thousands losing coverage

'I have pre-existing conditions. But all they could tell me was, 'sorry, you didn't comply,'' said one Arkansan who lost coverage.

The state has removed more than 16,000 low-income adults for failing to log at least 80 hours of work, job training, volunteering or similar activity — including 4,655 in November.

Some of the people thrown off the program describe a nightmarish, confusing experience with clunky technology and no one to help them. Individuals who don't adhere to the new rules for three months get removed from Medicaid for the rest of the year.

Views differ on the fairness of the unprecedented social experiment, but there's unanimity here that it's causing confusion. And that's feeding a philosophical debate about whether low-income adults are ducking the work rules or just can't navigate the tech-heavy reporting system that goes offline every night at 9 p.m.

Deyo is one of nine Arkansas Medicaid enrollees who sued the Trump administration in August to block the rules. She said a state letter notifying her about the work requirements was sent to the wrong address, leaving her completely unaware of the new terms. After losing coverage, the 38-year-old was unable to go to physical therapy or see her doctor to schedule surgery to repair a broken screw in her back. She's also had to pay more for medication.

That's not much consolation for Deyo, who's figuring out how to deal with her infirmities in the new landscape.

"I have the doctors' notes that say I can't work, I have their signatures," she said. "Nobody wanted to hear that from me.

Racheal Holmes said she lost her benefits at the end of October despite going to a Department of Human Services office in Little Rock once a month to log her hours.

Holmes, who had been working at a grocery store, said it took hours just to log in to the online reporting system the first time. A state worker offered help only after a security guard noticed she was still at the office after several hours, she said.

Only 1,428 low-income adults required to report their hours in November logged at least 80 hours. Roughly 8,400 failed to report 80 hours, with 98 percent of them not reporting any work activities, according to statistics from the Arkansas Department of Human Services.

Arkansas officials are belatedly making accommodations for people in a poor state with limited internet access after national backlash from health care advocates, including a new phone line for enrollees to report their hours.

Online reporting kiosks have also been available at county offices. But the state has not hired additional workers to help Medicaid enrollees navigate the new rules, despite the high stakes for non-compliance.

Hutchinson scoffed at critics who say the state isn't doing enough, citing examples such as the Department of Human Services making more than 155,000 phone calls to educate enrollees about the rules.

"The criticism is based upon myths and misunderstandings and a totally different philosophy."

"It is reasonable and expected in the United States of America and especially here in conservative Arkansas that people who are able to work will do so," said state Sen. Jason Rapert. "It is not acceptable for people to think they are entitled for other taxpayers to pay for services for them just because they do not want to work. That is not individual responsibility."

In an interview earlier this month, Rapert said he hadn't heard a single complaint from constituents subject to the work requirements.

The Trump administration has approved similar rules in Indiana, Kentucky, New Hampshire and Wisconsin, but they haven't taken effect yet; Kentucky's have been stalled by a lawsuit from advocates of the poor.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...nt-leads-to-thousands-losing-coverage-1076876

That's roughly 86% of those affected by the new rules losing their healthcare.

Feature, not a bug.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot more people than that will lose their healthcare if the GOP's lawsuit goes their way.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully these people are taking to the streets? Not a good sign otherswise. Pretty much tells them they have the population right where the want them; mentally speaking.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
"I'm proud to be Trump's guinea pig. He'll probably even pay for my health care himself." - Brainwashed Trump cultists

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Hopefully these people are taking to the streets? Not a good sign otherswise. Pretty much tells them they have the population right where the want them; mentally speaking.
Lol no. You might get a few angry shouts at some congress people when they hold sessions, but these people will by and large STILL vote downticket Republican. Losing medication and your good health to own the libs.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
This scheme is indefensible. Taking away people's healthcare isn't going to make them more likely to find work and anyone who genuinely believes that instead of using it as a cover for their hatred of the poor is fucking insane.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
How much is being spent to even try to implement such a shitty system, compared to how much is 'saved' on healthcare funding? Obviously the intent is to make it onerous and cut people, but i suspect it doesn't even save much if anything either.

I like how the rep is happy to say he has not received any complaints, but probably is hard to reach and/or isn't listening.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Downplaying and being dismissive to issues with poverty
I live in Arkansas, and while I don't know eevryone's stories, I will say that I've had the pleasure of working with people who will do anything to get out of work.

I was a shift supervisor in a plant, and i had a lady quit on me in the middle of a shift because she didn't like working. She told me " I'm going to have another kid so I can get back on welfare and food stamps."

I started a new job a few years back, and I worked with one lady for 6 weeks. She went on leave to get a hysterectomy, and never came back to work. She's still out on disability because she has low iron in her blood and can't work. Oh, her sister is her doctor, so surprise surprise how she keeps getting notes saying she can't work. Really, low iron? It's a desk job. Another lady ate sticks of butter (seriously, she would eat a stick of butter at her desk) so she'd have diabetes complications and get out of work.

I'm sure every state has these kinds of employees, but as a taxpayer, it sucks carrying the load of people who can work but choose not to. Trust me, I'd love to sit on my ass all day and play games and get free food, healthcare, and money, but have some respect for yourself and your family.

Oct 27, 2017
How many times do we need to try this stupid idea that the poor need to perform some drudgery for private businesses or the state will punish them?

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like your typical conservative big government bs to me

And people there will vote for this sort of fuckery every time is the hilarious part

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
What are the demographics of the people who lost coverage? That determines how much backlash there will be.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The number losing coverage exceeds the supposed target population: beneficiaries not working and not eligible for exemptions. Studies estimate that around 4 percent of those subject to the work requirement are not working and do not qualify for exemptions.[3] Yet each month, 13 to 29 percent of those subject to the requirement have failed to report sufficient hours, many of them not reporting any hours.

Yeah, Arkansas and the GOP are doing this to specifically harm people.

https://www.cbpp.org/health/comment...-is-taking-coverage-away-from-eligible-people

You get what you vote for.

Most experts believe that the people getting kicked off Medicaid are people with undiagnosed disabilities or caring for someone who is disabled. The groups most likely affected also tend to be more black or African American than the general population in Arkansas (up to 27 percent in the Medicaid program compared to 15 percent of the general Arkansas population).

https://www.urban.org/sites/default...46_2018.05.23_arkansas_medicaid_finalized.pdf

While there are certainly GOP voters getting kicked off as well, this is a classic case of targeting marginalized and minority communities by a white majority government. "Welfare queens" for a new era.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that's feeding a philosophical debate about whether low-income adults are ducking the work rules or just can't navigate the tech-heavy reporting system that goes offline every night at 9 p.m.

I hate reading about stupid shit like that. There should be no reason for those websites to be going down every night.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Arkansas, and while I don't know eevryone's stories, I will say that I've had the pleasure of working with people who will do anything to get out of work.

I was a shift supervisor in a plant, and i had a lady quit on me in the middle of a shift because she didn't like working. She told me " I'm going to have another kid so I can get back on welfare and food stamps."

I started a new job a few years back, and I worked with one lady for 6 weeks. She went on leave to get a hysterectomy, and never came back to work. She's still out on disability because she has low iron in her blood and can't work. Oh, her sister is her doctor, so surprise surprise how she keeps getting notes saying she can't work. Really, low iron? It's a desk job. Another lady ate sticks of butter (seriously, she would eat a stick of butter at her desk) so she'd have diabetes complications and get out of work.

I'm sure every state has these kinds of employees, but as a taxpayer, it sucks carrying the load of people who can work but choose not to. Trust me, I'd love to sit on my ass all day and play games and get free food, healthcare, and money, but have some respect for yourself and your family.
Do you think hospitals are legally allowed to just let people die on their doorsteps if they can't pay? If not, then who do you think pays for the broke people who end up in the emergency room?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

I'm sorry, but what does any of this have to do with the states ridiculous requirement of 80 hours of work, training or whatever every week? That's a ridiculous, ridiculous requirement.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wtf is this nonsense. Also stop fucking lying, no one told you this.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Yet those are the people most likely to get exceptions, while people who cannot comprehend the exemption or reporting paperwork due to physical or mental limitations are the ones being kicked off.

Oct 31, 2017

Hello the ghost of Ronald reagan .

Also, you should be ashamed of this post

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Some people will take advantage of any system, no matter how well-designed it is. I'd much rather let those assholes get away with it rather than screw over the legitimate users of social programs. Besides, if we're really interested in saving taxpayers some money, there's much more bullshit going on at the other end of the economic spectrum. Demonizing small-time welfare cheats is missing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If one has cancer, would you recommend they make their bunions a medical priority? Amazon just robbed us of several billions, Pentagon can't answer for $800M and we're worried about welfare cheats, who may or may not exist getting away with $150 a month in food?

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

If your workplace has people abandoning it to go on welfare with any frequency, viewing that as the better option, I might start to question what it is about the workplace that is driving them to that conclusion.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Some people will take advantage of any system, no matter how well-designed it is. I'd much rather let those assholes get away with it rather than screw over the legitimate users of social programs. Besides, if we're really interested in saving taxpayers some money, there's much more bullshit going on at the other end of the economic spectrum. Demoizing small-time welfare cheats is missing the forest for the trees.

Yeah, exactly. There's always going to be a handful of people who will take advantage, and shame on them. However, the majority of people affected by this have legitimate reasons for not being able to work as much as is required here, and screwing them over to punish the abusers is not the way to do things.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow, I'm so jealous of that woman who gave herself fucking diabetes to the point she was unable to work. She can't keep getting away with this!!

who gives a shit, your quality of life is still larger than theirs.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Have a little respect for yourself and this forum and do not pass off fake ass quotes that are obviously bullshit as real.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Wtf is this nonsense. Also stop fucking lying, no one told you this.

I used to work in the projects and there were plenty of women there who would have kids strictly for the benefits. Was painting an apartment and heard a mom tell her daughter she needed to get pregnant so she could move out and get her own apartment. It was wild.

Doesn't mean we should start punishing everyone because of the abusers though.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

You're not carrying shit.

Stop buying into gop brainwashing and racist dog whistling and understand that our shitty healthcare system is poison for people who do work to survive just the same as the anecdotal crap you 'know'.

The fact that we (including those of us who work our asses off every day) can suffer economically for getting sick is utterly ridiculous.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What is the point of your post? That you know a couple of people that scam the system, so the system should dump legitimate people off? That is how your post reads

Like, really, why post this? Guessing it's a troll post.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If one has cancer, would you recommend they make their bunions a medical priority? Amazon just robbed us of several billions, Pentagon can't answer for $800M and we're worried about welfare cheats, who may or may not exist getting away with $150 a month in food?

We need more 5 million dollar missiles to protect America.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, there's accepting people cheat the system who can work, and there's pretending people don't. My stance is I understand some people cheat, but it's worth having the system to help those who truly need it, even if there's people cheating it.

That's called true compassion and empathy. Which is something the so called religious-right seem to have forgotten from their bibles.

I'm a fucking atheist and have more compassion and than these fuckers.

cyress8

Avenger

That's a lot of trusting people there.

Not a single person would let you know what they are planning in fear that you would snitch. So, why are you lying about this? No fucking reason to even do that.