• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Alfred Molina the cast is really bad. Blame it on them personally or on the script they had to work with. Toby and Kirsten are like water and oil. Harry never seems like an actual friend to neither.

It has not aged well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to figure out the order, but I have the top 6 at

Into the SpiderVerse
Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight
Days of Future Past
Infinity War
Winter Soldier

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's still top five for me, but I'd also have to go back and watch it again to see how it holds up.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I think this movie captured the essence of "hard luck Spidey" quite well, but watching the clips.... that really is a terrible rendition of not only Peter Parker but also Spider-Man. Zero quips, zero creativity in fighting, just super generic superhero action. reminds me how much I disliked those movies back then as a teenager who grew up reading the comics.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
"Everybody loves a hero, people line up for 'em, cheer for them, scream their names, and years later tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who told them to hold on a second longer. "

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
It's the best live action super hero film, absolutely. I don't think anyone who actually read the original Stan Lee Spider-Man comics could doubt this. It's as close as we'll ever get to seeing that Spider-Man on the big screen. There's a few minor quibbles in the first two films to be had, I suppose; They are goofy, they don't hold things close to the chest, they GO for it. Which, again, is true to the comics. To many films today try to be clever when the writers are anything but, rather than feeling honest and heartfelt. God bless Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.

Dec 22, 2017
You got the right month, but the greatest live action Superhero film was released 28 years ago.

UPiRfvC.jpg

Love this movie too, but not even Joe Johnston's best super hero movie.

jaxom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
small question but on what spiderman sticks himself at the 23rd second of the train fight video ? a cloud passing by ? :p

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Doc Ock's arms have built in stabilization in them. Allowing for some easy face tanking of punches as it flows with the motion.
There's also that scene of Alfred knocked out and the arms keep doing their thing.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Alfred Molina the cast is really bad. Blame it on them personally or on the script they had to work with. Tibet and Kirsten are like water and oil. Harry never seems like an actual friend to neither.

It has not aged well.

Agreed. There's a lot I like about the movie-but nearly everything important bothers me. I don't like the cast and that's a big thing.

AUNT MAY IS THAT AN ANGEL

Tobey is so friggin bad

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think this movie captured the essence of "hard luck Spidey" quite well, but watching the clips.... that really is a terrible rendition of not only Peter Parker but also Spider-Man. Zero quips, zero creativity in fighting, just super generic superhero action. reminds me how much I disliked those movies back then as a teenager who grew up reading the comics.

Yeah I agree. I think the people that are die hard fans of these movies aren't comic book Spider-Man fans, but rather Sam Raimi Spider-Man fans.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I agree. I think the people that are die hard fans of these movies aren't comic book Spider-Man fans, but rather Sam Raimi Spider-Man fans.
Booo!
I hate that criticism. About as invalid as the nostalgia one.

There are hundreds of different interpretations of Spidey depending on the writer, the decade, etc.
I was a massive Spider-Man fan growing up and while Raimi wasn't faithful to the letter he 100% captured the spirit of the comics I read as a kid.
Now, it might not have been the same comics that you read, but still...

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Timeless movie. The low key, simple charm is combined with blockbuster thrills perfectly.

Probably right behind BB and TDK for me.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like Aunt May is rambling in all these movies. Like she should have stopped talking 30 seconds ago.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Doc Ock in that movie is probably my favorite comic book villain ever. He had some great lines and Alfred Molina played him wonderfully. I love that scene were he's fighting for control and says "LISTEN TO ME NOW!"

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's a pretty amazing movie. I have nothing but fond memories of it. It's not perfect, but it's really, really well done, with clear themes, character arcs, and a wonderful antagonist. I remember being so surprised they got Alfred Molina to play Octavius, but he crushed it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it hasn't been topped by other superhero movies that came after, but it most certainly set the bar for modern superhero movies to aspire to and exceed. Personally, SM2 should be the low bar of quality for other superhero flicks.

Also, Into The Spider-Verse is the best superhero movie of all time. 😝

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I was about to post my agreement, but then I saw the gif you posted, OP:
giphy.gif

...is that hat CG? They couldn't pull it off with fishing wire?

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
A director who actually understands how to cut together action and I do miss his early output but he got weird though so even Elfman didn't want to work with him anymore.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
There's no superhero film I'd rather watch. I don't think the train fight had been equalled till the fight on Titan in IW.

Also Peter's "Hi.....this is really heavy" is one of the never mentioned best moments in a superhero film. It is moments like that why Raimis films resonated so much.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
If Doc Ock is just a normal human besides the mechanical arms, wouldn't Spidey be able to knock him out easily with his super strength? Ock is taking his blows and still fighting.
I always saw this as the arms messing with his nerves. Like, he has these things fused to him, there's gotta be some pain blockers going on.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Folks saying, "he's not like comic spidey" have no leg to stand on. It's the most meaningless criticism ever. You know a comic movie is great when people start shouting, "BUT HE'S NOT LIKE THE COMICS". Y'all act as if the comics are some kind of unreachable epics about heroism and the human condition. A lot of them are shit.