• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This list isn't ranked btw.

1) Axe recall in God of War 2018
2) Climbing and gliding in Breath of the Wild
3) ATB combat in FF7R
4) Baton Pass in Persona 5 and P5 Royale
5) Webswinging in Marvel's Spider-man and Miles Morales
6) Parrying in Sekiro
7) Turf Wars in Monster Hunter World
8) Gloo Cannon in Prey
9) Mr X in Resident Evil 2
10) Dialogue system in Red Dead Redemption 2
11) Chipset upgrade system in Nier Automata
12) Swimming through ink as squids in Splatoons
13) Possessing feature in Super Mario Odyssey
14) Social Strand System in Death Stranding
15) Guiding wind waypoint system in Ghost of Tsushima

Thoughts on the list? Any other mechanics you thought should have been mentioned?

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
Disagree about Baton Pass, at least in Persona 5 vanilla (the only version I've played) it's woefully underutilized. Most bosses lack elemental weaknesses and are immune to critical hits so you'll rarely get the opportunity to use Baton Pass when you need it most. Ultimately it's just a watered down interpretation of the superior Press Turn system, which not only gives enemies and the player parity but also can be used even in absence of exploiting weaknesses through evasion, critical hits, reflection, etc.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bowing to respect the dead should be on here (from Ghost of Tsushima).

I wish Nemesis was done justice as he would have made every stalker last gen feel shame.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That's mostly a good lineup with a few that feel like they're there more to get notable big games highlighted
(look I love me some turf war animations, but best mechanics? the SLOPES are a better mechanic!)

Ps: Where's Ori's bash? never mind, list smellz
(actually on this note, Indie titles being snubbed here means a ton of great mechanics have been glossed over)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for active reloading from Gears to catch on in other shooters. It feels really good and just adds another layer of skill to the game. I'd love for it to show up in Call of Duty or Battlefield.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The whistle in Horizon Zero Dawn was mine despite how OP and rediculous it was.

*Whistles*

"Humm, what's going on over by this giant pile of corpses?"

:Lol

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
(1) Was the one in my head when I clicked on the link.

(15) I'm caught in two minds with. I like how far GoT goes towards natural exploration, particularly with the expert HUD, but the guiding wind is essentially a prettier compass. It's the one element of the way you explore the world which still feels too hand-holdy to me.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The whistle in Horizon Zero Dawn was mine despite how OP and rediculous it was.

*Whistles*

"Humm, what's going on over by this giant pile of corpses?"

:Lol

l0PVbWa.png

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Painting mechanic in Link Between Worlds.
It's tied so elegantly throughout the game. It's used for:
Walking along walls
Sticking to moving objects
Defence in boss fights by hiding on flat surfaces
Pushing things off flat surfaces through reemergence
Moving between gaps
Moving between worlds
Stealth

Such a strong piece of game design to have something run so deeply through the game. Monster Hunter Rise is this gen but doing a similar thing with the wirebug, where they are used for traversal, attack, defence, evade, counter-attack, all context-dependant.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised the Nemesis system wasn't mentioned, all the game outlets thought it was going to be the next big thing.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
The nemesis system from shadow of mordor/war should be used in many more open world games. I was hooked on those games solely because of it.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Yeah.. This is a 2017-2020 list with Splatoon Ink swimming attached to it...(probably because of the Sequel)

No Nemesis
No Xenomorph
No Glory Kills
No Enemy negotiation (Undertale)
No Walking between worlds through the walls

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The internal dialogue system in Disco Elysium.

The freeze/burn/chainsaw/glory kill system in Doom Eternal.

Domino in Dishonoured 2.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Nice to see FF7R's ATB combat getting some love.

I was so frustrated with FF7R's combat at first because I was trying to play it like an action game. I didn't understand that it all revolves around ATB management and staggering enemies.

Info that helped the combat click:

- You have to frequently switch between party members to build ATB

- AI-controlled allies have certain buffs and debuffs like great blocking and dodging, but poor ATB building

- Enemies strongly prefer to target the player-controlled character, so you can often save a character that's near death by switching to a healthier one. You can also decrease the chance you'll get interrupted during a long startup animation by, say, casting Firaga as Aerith and switching to Cloud (or just using the shoulder buttons to give commands to other characters)

- Basic attacks aren't for dealing damage so much as building that ATB bar

- Every ability was designed to fill distinct roles: putting enemies into the pressured state so they get staggered much faster, building more ATB, building the enemy's stagger bar, dealing damage during stagger, increasing the damage multiplier on staggered enemies, etc.

FF7R's combat plays like an awesome fusion of the original's turn-based combat and a dramatically improved variant of FF15's action RPG gameplay.

I really hope the combat clicks for most of the people who try the game. I was not feeling it at all until I found some strategies online that explained the combat design.

Last edited:

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
This list makes me very excited. In my backlog I still have RDR2, RE2:R, NieR, MHW, and will purchase FF7:R once it drops in price.

I also plan on replaying GoW 2018 in NG+ for the platinum trophy. 2021 is shaping up to be another great year of gaming.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
The real time ATB system in FF7R had some rought edges but it worked a whole lot better than i thought it would