• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
lol, remasters are NOT remakes, and where the heck is Tomb Raider and Yakuza? Terrible list!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
maxresdefault.jpg

FREE MY BOY

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
While I respect the list in general, it will never disappoint me that Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir is left out. It may be the single best remake I've ever played.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Starfox 64 3D was dope. I'm sad it's been completely buried.

Happy to see CTR is higher than Spyro and Crash because it's the most godly of those godly remakes. I think it should be higher in general.

Last edited:

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
RE2 is fantastic, but I can't help but feel that this list is a bit weird. Resident Evil takes the #1 and 2 spot, followed by two Metroid games? Just seems lazy. SotC and Spyro are also both way too low.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shadow of the Colousses at 15 is fine. It's just like the original to me. I get half way through and get bored and give up.

Spyro should be higher

Jul 24, 2018
The Ratchet & Clank remake took out all of the fun consumerism based satire, and genuine character development for both Ratchet & Clank in the original game, at the expense of making a quirky meme based kid friendly story instead. Definitely not what I'd call a great remake.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I think that HG and SS are very overrated but even I agree that this list is invalidated by not including either them or Firered and Leafgreen

Kirby Super Star Ultra is probably the best remake ever tho

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I booted up Spyro after never playing the PS1 games and that game honestly feels like a modern game. So I'd say that's a good remake. I should play the originals some day to compare.

REmake 2 is probably the best for sure. Heart Gold/Soul Silver are great too and so are Fire Red and Leaf Green. I'd also put Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold as one of my favourites. Final Fantasy IV on DS is also a personal favourite.

Trials of Mana looks like it is shaping up to be a good remake as well.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The Ratchet & Clank remake took out all of the fun consumerism based satire, and genuine character development for both Ratchet & Clank in the original game, at the expense of making a quirky meme based kid friendly story instead. Definitely not what I'd call a great remake.
Absolutely.

It's such a middling experience and almost made me lose interest in the series entirely and the film didn't help matters. I'm pretty weary of what the future holds for Ratchet in general if this is anything to go by.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I think you got this list wrong. Shadow of the Colossus is number 1. Arta

Usually you start at the bottom of these top whatever lists and go up to place number one, but they don't start with #15 but with #1 for Shadow of the Colossus and they close wit Resident Evil 2 Remake at #15 and say "Last but not least". You don't usually say that for first place do you? Maybe this list isn't supposed to be a ranking list? It's confusing, lol.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. It belongs nowhere near a "great remake" list.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Capcom showing off that they're the kings of two different kinds of remakes. One is the core experience vastly updated over the original, and the other is a reimagining that perfectly captures the soul of the original while modernizing it for current gaming sensibilities. Those two can duke it out til the end of time, but everyone else is just fighting for third place.

A lot of the other picks on this list though... highly questionable.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I can't believe there's a world where someone thinks Let's Go Pikachu is a top 15 remake of all time AND they didn't include Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the list.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go Pikachu over FireRed/LeafGreen feels like recentism. It was an interesting remake, but I don't think I'd call it one of the best ones. FireRed/LeafGreen meanwhile were remakes of two games that, while enjoyable, were absolutely busted.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017

Time to fix this:

15) Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
14) Starfox 64 3D
13) Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
12) Super Mario All Stars
11) Spyro Reignited Trilogy
10) Pokemon FR/LG & HG/SS
9) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
8) Shadow Of The Colossus
7) Black Mesa
6) Dragon Quest series(I through VII)
5) Ys Series(I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana and Memories of Celceta)
4) Metroid: Zero Mission
3) Metroid: Samus Returns
2) Resident Evil
1) Resident Evil 2 Remake

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
HG/SS and Ocarina of Time 3D (if they count Star Fox this should too) are robbed

I actually kinda prefer LGPE over FR/LG. FR/LG is definitely the "best" way to play gen 1 in a lot of ways, but to me it just felt like kind of a gutless version of the original, with the jank stripped out of it, which was a lot of what made that game stand out in the rest of the series to me. Let's Go is different enough that it feels unique. The OGs are still my personal favorite ways to play those games though.

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes is gross. One of the worst remakes ever. I'm not even against the over the top cutscenes (I was into Kitamura at the time). Terrible, bored voice acting that's worse than the original. (Mei Ling is a slight improvement due to loss of the accent). Awful new music. Awkward changes to the original great translation (Jeremy Blaustein deserves a lot of credit for MGS catching on). The new gameplay additions trivialize the stealth gameplay as they're not accounted for at all. The "improved" graphics aren't all that great. They character models especially pale in comparison to what was in MGS2 (a game two years older and on worse hardware) (Otacon specifically looks terrible and like a fucking hamster).

It's just worse in every way (except for losing Mei Ling's accent).

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
counts as much as a remastered title as SotC

XIV was literally remade. Characters were ported, the game engine was completely swapped.....it literally was a remake of the original for realm reborn

Wondering,

Was this the only game that failed and we got a remake of?

Looking at most remakes, they were of successful or fan favourite games.

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 2 isn't a remake, it's a completely separate game that has a RE2 skin over it.
One could argue that it's the most remade out of all of them as it's almost like a new game that follows the story of the original game. It's certainly a high bar for most remakes as most of them are mainly looking to update older games with shinier graphics, which is nicer for those who were just looking for a faithful update but not as exciting

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One could argue that it's the most remade out of all of them as it's almost like a new game that follows the story of the original game. It's certainly a high bar for most remakes as most of them are mainly looking to update older games with shinier graphics, which is nicer for those who were just looking for a faithful update but not as exciting
Exactly. That level of ambition is a big reason why FF7R is so anticipated.

The only other type of remake that rivals that is something like Crash Team Racing, where even though the core gameplay is similar, they add so much extra content it's nearly three remakes in one.