• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pay $4 for tea brewed by this.

I wouldn't pay $18, but a $1 markup for a significantly better product is nice.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think 15,000 is that expensive for a commercial grade espresso machine. Especially one of these fancy ones that can draw an audience based on its novelty. Then again, I don't own a coffee shop so who am I to say?

The server-based authentication and DRM is indefensible though.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
...why does this need to be online?

This is so hilariously stupid. I'm not even begrudging the price because hey, it's a business thing, but lol at it being useless now.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
This has also been holding me back from taking the next step in automating my house. All the popular solutions (Siri/Google Assistant/Alexa/Smartthings/Wink Hub/IFTTT) seem to require a working internet connection.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Considering this runs on Android tablet, maybe they can dump the APK of the app and supposedly the data if it isn't stored on RAM and make a custom APK to keep the machine working as long as it doesn't break (I guess they will stop making spare parts as well).

I wonder if it's legal ? Since the company is shutting down, maybe grey area ?

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
This has also been holding me back from taking the next step in automating my house. All the popular solutions (Siri/Google Assistant/Alexa/Smartthings/Wink Hub/IFTTT) seem to require a working internet connection.
Yeah there's no way I want Corporate overlords to be able to spy on me at will and then sell that info to the highest bidder/cops.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CloudyUnacceptableEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Breathing intensifies

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The only nitro coffee I've had was terrible imo. Wasn't really expensive but was definitely not something worth a premium.

You know you can make your own nitro brew with N2 chargers and a whipped cream maker? Just put coffee into the thing instead of cream. And resist the urge to do whippets on the side.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's not hard to keep servers running. All it takes is one of them collecting donations while initially paying out of pocket. The only hurdle is if the parent company wants a cut of the donations for server maintenance.

If that happens, Small companies that can afford a 15000 usd equipment can form a class action and sue their stupid ass into giving them a server for life.

SteamFunc

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Self-promotion
indiegogo effort to build new electronics for machine

mod edit: link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
15K is the correct amount of punishment for buying into this con job.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I wonder if Tesla's would still work if the company went bust. Given how crucial technology is for the cars to work could you have a situation whereby the car isn't deemed roadworthy because the software is no longer getting updates and support etc..?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
$15k for commercial kitchen equipment is common for a coffee shop. It does not justify $18 cups of coffee. This DRM-free machine is $22k:

1408515.jpg

I wonder if Tesla's would still work if the company went bust. Given how crucial technology is for the cars to work could you have a situation whereby the car isn't deemed roadworthy because the software is no longer getting updates and support etc..?

There would be lost features and options, but would function as a car just great.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, guess it's best to tell your clients that the product will stop working when the data it collects stops having value.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd be more worried about their remote control tbh. Tesla has been know to deactivate cars they don't like, mostly those repaired by third parties. Just imagine when they go bust and some asshole buys some scraps and blackmails tesla owners into shelving over some money or they'll wake up with a REALLY heavy paper weight.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Make the software open source, let some programming/coffee enthusiasts figure it out. SImple.

(They're not going to do this cause they'd rather fuck over their customers then lose out on a license.)

Oct 27, 2017
If a bunch of nerds can hack together a private server for PSO on the Dreamcast for fun, you'd think this wouldn't be that big of an issue for companies that can afford a $15000 appliance.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, because when it comes down to it, what actually needs to work for the car to run. Its probably not much. Sure all the other things you might not be able to replace, like the tablet that controls everything. But to make the car drive it wouldn't be too hard if you had the skill. Its batteries and an electric motor, and people already convert old ICE cars to electric, so the tools are there.

As for roadworthy, inspections/emissions/whatever are based on standards when the vehicle was new, so as long as it still meets those you're fine. If you live somewhere with no emissions or inspections you could probably put an gas powered engine in a Tesla and it would be road legal.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't worth it both in price and taste. The experience maybe for 1 time if you got money to burn. If you actually wanted good coffee there's no reason to go there for your money.

Looks real cool at least.

Oh damn just saw when this thread was made. Surprised I missed it the first time.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
So there is a brewer called the Bunn Trifecta that I recommend people try out if their local place has it. One shop near me has it and it does air infusion similar to this. Cup cost about $5 which for a single cup of coffee is expensive.