• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
While I did see it in action, I admit I haven't spent too much time with it. With that said, I never cared about refresh rates too much, not caring if the game is 30 or 60fps, for example. I always go for graphics vs performance.

I know it's considered blasphemy here, but that's what I care about. Inky blacks is a game changer for me, fps is nice. For me, anyway.

This is totally valid! I do think you should get the chance to experience a true g/freesync setup for an extended period of time sometime, if one arises.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
While I did see it in action, I admit I haven't spent too much time with it. With that said, I never cared about refresh rates too much, not caring if the game is 30 or 60fps, for example. I always go for graphics vs performance.

I know it's considered blasphemy here, but that's what I care about. Inky blacks is a game changer for me, fps is nice. For me, anyway.
Fuck that, like what you like

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is it a G-Sync or FreeSync monitor?
Is it possible that it's low frame rate compensation kicking in, and the monitor reporting the "real" refresh rate?
All G-Sync monitors are required to use LFC, but mine still reports the frame rate rather than the rate that the monitor is refreshing at. For example: no monitor refreshes at a true 24Hz - they will be displaying at least 48Hz. But my monitor's OSD still reports "24" and not 48/72. Yours might report something like 48/72 for 24 FPS though.

I suppose the main thing that matters is if it's smooth when this is happening.

It's a freesync monitor with G sync support, with 30-144Hz range. I only really thought something seemed weird because camera panning in Skyrim seemed to lack the amount of motion clarity I thought it should have, then it seemed maybe a tad bit better once I tabbed out and in.

I'm probably just imagining it had an effect though. I can't notice any tearing.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a freesync monitor with G sync support, with 30-144Hz range. I only really thought something seemed weird because camera panning in Skyrim seemed to lack the amount of motion clarity I thought it should have, then it seemed maybe a tad bit better once I tabbed out and in.

I'm probably just imagining it had an effect though. I can't notice any tearing.
It's still unexpected if the range is 30-144Hz, but I bet it's using LFC and is a quirk of using a FreeSync display, if the game is still smooth.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017

all of them are freesync or gsync

BUDGET 24"
ViewSonic XG2402

BEST 27"
ASUS VG279Q

1440p FREESYNC
Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD

1440p G-SYNC
ASUS ROG Swift PG279QZ

BEST ULTRAWIDE
LG 34GK950F

BEST SUPER ULTRAWIDE
Samsung CRG9

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Making sure your frame limit is not close to the LFC trigger point is important during gameplay as otherwise you will notice it in game too. You can change the LFC behaviour and when it switch to this mode with CRU by editing V rate bounds in the display properties. I set this to 57 - 144 so I can frame limit some games to 60 fps and continually play at 120hz without minute frame dips/spikes resulting in LFC triggering.
You don't. The range is whatever your monitor supports.
There's something I don't understand, can I change those values or not? Thanks guys!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There's something I don't understand, can I change those values or not? Thanks guys!
Oh, I see where the confusion is from now.
Some early FreeSync 1 monitors had scalers which could only handle a limited range, so they had a high and a low range on them that you could switch in the OSD - and people found ways to extend that range using custom resolutions.
This is unnecessary for all G-Sync monitors, and most new FreeSync displays.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've had a laptop (quad core GTX 1070, 120Hz G-Sync) for almost 3 years, and have the opportunity to upgrade to a significantly more powerful machine (i7-9700K, full RTX 2080, 240Hz display) at a massive discount, but it lacks G-Sync.

I'm still trying to quantify just how much I'm going to miss the G-Sync.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a laptop (quad core GTX 1070, 120Hz G-Sync) for almost 3 years, and have the opportunity to upgrade to a significantly more powerful machine (i7-9700K, full RTX 2080, 240Hz display) at a massive discount, but it lacks G-Sync.

I'm still trying to quantify just how much I'm going to miss the G-Sync.
It's difficult to say really, as no-one but you knows how noticeable you find the benefits of G-Sync.
Higher refresh rates should provide a smoother experience even without VRR, but it's still noticeable to me that it's not there even at 240Hz.

What paragon is referring to is extending the freesync range, that's not what I'm asking you to do. My advice just changes the point at which LFC occurs and that is the cause of all the flickering.
Sorry, I'm running on very little sleep and got my wires crossed there. I misunderstood (again) what Mercador was asking for.
I have no experience in doing this, but yes, using CRU to adjust the VRR window may help minimize or fix the flickering.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It's difficult to say really, as no-one but you knows how noticeable you find the benefits of G-Sync.
Higher refresh rates should provide a smoother experience even without VRR, but it's still noticeable to me that it's not there even at 240Hz.
I've had it for 6+ years, and have never had reason to deactivate, so I suppose I've just taken it for granted to such an extreme that turning off G-Sync and playing some games didn't even cross my mind.

Damn I'm getting the shakes already.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I don't see that V rate box, unless you mean the Refresh Rate

Nevermind, I hit the wrong edit button. It was 30-144, I put 57-144. I will try this out.

Edit: I changed the setting, reboot the screen with the utility. First notice, my colors are way better (?!) but I'm not sure why, I haven't changed anything about the colors. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the flickering in Total War (in full screen). I guess I should try gsync in a windowed mode to see if it generate flickering as well.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got my first taste of freesync/gsync. WOW.

Game

Changer

I'll be honest, I thought most of you were nuts when you were going on and on about how good this is.

It's incredible. Doom at 155 fps with no tearing no stuttering when fps drops is glorious.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got my first taste of freesync/gsync. WOW.

Game

Changer

I'll be honest, I thought most of you were nuts when you were going on and on about how good this is.

It's incredible. Doom at 155 fps with no tearing no stuttering when fps drops is glorious.
giphy.webp

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I loaded Divinity Original Sin 2 today and I got the same issue that I had with Total War. I'm sure I didn't had this issue last winter, so could it be a driver issue? I got 3 display devices on the GPU; GSync monitor, Oculus Rift and a Vizio TV. When I try the nVidia Pendulum demo, I see the flicker when it moves from ~35 to 40fps.

Cube

May 18, 2018
I've been looking into 1440p at 144hz. Been playing at 1080p 60hz since I built this PC, so upgrading both the resolution and refresh rate should be nice. My i7 4790k and GTX 1060 6gb should do fine with the upgrade. I'm just not sure what to get. I'd like to spend no more than $300 (don't mind going a little bit over) and get one that's from a well known brand. How does it feel using multiple monitors with different resolutions and refresh rates?

Also, is 27 inches good? My monitor mount doesn't support higher than that.... and I just set it up. My other monitor can't be mounted so I would like an upgrade. I'd also like to see the monitor in person before I buy, which sucks because Micro Center's catalog has less than Amazon's.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on Gsync vs Freesync? I'm looking at buying an ultrawide LG monitor. It basically has a Freesync model and a Gsync one, but the Gsync model is around 100 bucks more expensive. Since I can use Freesync monitors with Nvidia cards as well, does Gsync really perform better to justify the premium price?

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
I wish there was a better way to check if GSYNC is actually on and working, also how to optimize for it.

Lately I hear of a lot of games that come out and you have to further tweak to get GSYNC to activate, also with NVIDIA coming out with so many modes like NULL it's hard figuring out what you need to do in order to get the best performance/settings.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
So basically the verdict is if you go for a properly tested/reviewed Freesync display then you're good?
I think Nvidia released a list of recommended models for freesync, but that was some time ago and maybe they updated the list with newer models that pass their certification/tests.

When you get a new monitor go straight to test it with:

www.testufo.com

Blur Busters TestUFO Motion Tests. Benchmark for monitors & displays.

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests with ghosting test, 30fps vs 60fps vs 120hz vs 144hz vs 240hz, PWM test, motion blur test, judder test, benchmarks, and more.

which is what I did with my 240hz monitor. 120 was still burry compared to 240hz (almost clear like a still image, almost), nice but moot since most big-graphics games won't reach that, sweet spot seems like 144hz with resolution increase.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a better way to check if GSYNC is actually on and working, also how to optimize for it.

Lately I hear of a lot of games that come out and you have to further tweak to get GSYNC to activate, also with NVIDIA coming out with so many modes like NULL it's hard figuring out what you need to do in order to get the best performance/settings.

Does your monitor show the current Hz on the OSD? That's how I always check it. As for NULL, I would only enable it for games that explicitly are fine with super low latency. It works fine for me in Tekken, League of Legends, Soul Calibur and Rocket League offline but online it seems to cause trouble. Playing Rocket League online with NULL often resulted in weird hitches, presumably because my game as a client tried to be faster than the server-logic could handle it.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

Some monitors have an overlay that shows the current refresh rate, easy to use that to see if it's working properly. Fluctuating=GSync on.

As far as optimizing, all you need to do is enable VSync globally through the Nvidia Control Panel and you're good to go. Capping framerates with RTSS for example is not something i've ever had to do since i very rarely exceed 100fps in games anyway.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on Gsync vs Freesync? I'm looking at buying an ultrawide LG monitor. It basically has a Freesync model and a Gsync one, but the Gsync model is around 100 bucks more expensive. Since I can use Freesync monitors with Nvidia cards as well, does Gsync really perform better to justify the premium price?

Having gone through this same decision and settling on a freesync, the following two YT videos will help with your decision:
JayzTwoCents
Hardware Unboxed

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Does your monitor show the current Hz on the OSD? That's how I always check it. As for NULL, I would only enable it for games that explicitly are fine with super low latency. It works fine for me in Tekken, League of Legends, Soul Calibur and Rocket League offline but online it seems to cause trouble. Playing Rocket League online with NULL often resulted in weird hitches, presumably because my game as a client tried to be faster than the server-logic could handle it.
Some monitors have an overlay that shows the current refresh rate, easy to use that to see if it's working properly. Fluctuating=GSync on.

As far as optimizing, all you need to do is enable VSync globally through the Nvidia Control Panel and you're good to go. Capping framerates with RTSS for example is not something i've ever had to do since i very rarely exceed 100fps in games anyway.
I have a LG34UC89G and unfortunately it doesn't have an overlay that show it's current FPS only shows what refresh rate it's set at so I can't really see if it's changing the refresh rate dynamically as other monitors.

For NULL I read (on the blur busters forums I think) that it's mainly aimed at people who don't really want to tinker and cap their framerate below their refresh rate, if you already do that it doesn't seem to add any benefits I think.

Sometimes I get the feeling that GSYNC is not working for me, especially when the performance is jumping between the 40s and 50s. I guess I need to start playing more with GSYNC off to really compare and appreciate the difference.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have a LG34UC89G and unfortunately it doesn't have an overlay that show it's current FPS only shows what refresh rate it's set at so I can't really see if it's changing the refresh rate dynamically as other monitors.

For NULL I read (on the blur busters forums I think) that it's mainly aimed at people who don't really want to tinker and cap their framerate below their refresh rate, if you already do that it doesn't seem to add any benefits I think.

Sometimes I get the feeling that GSYNC is not working for me, especially when the performance is jumping between the 40s and 50s. I guess I need to start playing more with GSYNC off to really compare and appreciate the difference.

You could use the Nvidia G-Sync Overlay Indicator:

17041805344016744214987495.png

I only found a French screenshot but it shows how to enable it.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I felt like a dumbass for the longest time because I didn't realize that you needed to set Nvidia control panel's Vsync to "ON" along with Gsync being enabled to see the result. For a few months I was "I swear this is still tearing".

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well post this here. For those unsure what g-sync looks like, here's a quick comparison I did with Red Dead Redemption 2

Hopefully the small judder/stuttering from frame rate fluctuations should be visible during the non g-sync parts. The upper left counter is my monitor's refresh rate, so it fluctuating means g-sync is engaged.

The Nvidia Control Panel has a gsync indicator option you can enable. Status appears on the upper right corner. "Normal" = no gsync and "G-Sync" = gsync being active.

Most games should just work as long as you have gsync enabled. Make sure to also enable vsync globally in the control panel. For many games, gsync only works well in exclusive fullscreen mode. Some games behave weird though, like Red Dead Redemption 2 where g-sync only works if you enable vsync in-game.

Make sure you aren't using any of the overlays from the Windows Game Bar, like the FPS counter. Last time I tried them, g-sync gets disabled the moment an overlay appears onscreen.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well post this here. For those unsure what g-sync looks like, here's a quick comparison I did with Red Dead Redemption 2

Hopefully the small judder/stuttering from frame rate fluctuations should be visible during the non g-sync parts. The upper left counter is my monitor's refresh rate, so it fluctuating means g-sync is engaged.

The Nvidia Control Panel has a gsync indicator option you can enable. Status appears on the upper right corner. "Normal" = no gsync and "G-Sync" = gsync being active.

Most games should just work as long as you have gsync enabled. Make sure to also enable vsync globally in the control panel. For many games, gsync only works well in exclusive fullscreen mode. Some games behave weird though, like Red Dead Redemption 2 where g-sync only works if you enable vsync in-game.

Make sure you aren't using any of the overlays from the Windows Game Bar, like the FPS counter. Last time I tried them, g-sync gets disabled the moment an overlay appears onscreen.

The MSI Afterburners RTSS overlay works fine with G-Sync atleast.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
You could use the Nvidia G-Sync Overlay Indicator:

17041805344016744214987495.png

I only found a French screenshot but it shows how to enable it.

Yup I tried it briefly yesterday and it did say "GSYNC" however do you know if it's dynamic or does it only detects at the moment you open the game?

Say for whatever reason (an overlay or turning off exclusive fullscreen in game, etc) GSYNC happens to break while in game would the indication switch to "Normal"?

I ask because when I open my monitor's overlay it always shows GSYNC as on even though it doesn't seem to be doing any real time measurement or check, it seems it's just mainly showing whether the technology is actually on or not not if it's actually working in real time or not.

Question georaldc in your vid I see you have the game set to window borderless, but in the nvidia control panel for GSYNC do you have it set for exclusive fullscreen only or windowed as well?

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yup I tried it briefly yesterday and it did say "GSYNC" however do you know if it's dynamic or does it only detects at the moment you open the game?

Say for whatever reason (an overlay or turning off exclusive fullscreen in game, etc) GSYNC happens to break while in game would the indication switch to "Normal"?

I ask because when I open my monitor's overlay it always shows GSYNC as on even though it doesn't seem to be doing any real time measurement or check, it seems it's just mainly showing whether the technology is actually on or not not if it's actually working in real time or not.

Question georaldc in your vid I see you have the game set to window borderless, but in the nvidia control panel for GSYNC do you have it set for exclusive fullscreen only or windowed as well?
Can't remember since I don't use it often but it should switch dynamically.

For settings, I currently only have the NVCP G-Sync option set for exclusive fullscreen apps, because g-sync on windowed apps is kindy wonky (monitor refresh rate adjusts, but it does so erratically and image quality ends up looking choppy). As for why it still works in Red Dead, my guess is the game functions like Windows Store games where fullscreen apps work just like windowed apps? Someone more knowledgeable might know. The only reason I have it set to Borderless is because that specific setting doesn't seem to stick and always resets to Borderless for me.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't call a single $300 monitor relatively cheap or affordable, but I've had my monitor for years and got it for like $150 so what do I know?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

If enabled, the G-Sync indicator should always be visible when G-Sync is active.
If it only flashes on briefly when you start or switch to a game, something is preventing G-Sync from working.

While my monitor does have a frame rate indicator, I ran into an issue with G-Sync only activating briefly, which reminded me of your posts and got me to test that indicator as well.
In my case, it turned out to be OBS' display capture feature that was preventing G-Sync from working. Disabling it and using game capture instead fixed it.
I'm not sure if that was always the case. I thought it used to work, but I could be mistaken. Or it might be that it used to work when I also had windowed-mode G-Sync enabled and I didn't realize it was no longer running in full-screen mode - which could explain why I thought games looked like they were running much worse with OBS recording gameplay.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Not really I'm topic but I didn't want to make a thread about this. I just got a new 144hz 1440p monitor called the AOC CQ27G1. I was just wondering if monitors or gaming monitors even need their game mode to be on.

I was playing with SFV with and without it and I couldn't really feel a difference. And I would prefer normal since that looks the best to me and I wouldn't have to keep switching it every time I play.

But I was just wondering if these things are already pretty low input lag to begin with(Something like 15-20) and game mode just makes it even lower but may not be noticable to most people?

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm planning to upgrade mine soon. My 1080p 60hz ASUS has served me well over the years, but I need in on that 120+hz goodness. I'm fine with 1080p for now as I don't wanna require a graphics card upgrade to hit the 1440p res so I've been digging around to find the best budget 1080p 144hz monitor with gsync.

The best I've found is the AOC G2590FX so far. Anyone have one that could give impressions?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm planning to upgrade mine soon. My 1080p 60hz ASUS has served me well over the years, but I need in on that 120+hz goodness. I'm fine with 1080p for now as I don't wanna require a graphics card upgrade to hit the 1440p res so I've been digging around to find the best budget 1080p 144hz monitor with gsync.

The best I've found is the AOC G2590FX so far. Anyone have one that could give impressions?
I want to know too. Impressions and suggestions for monitors

Oct 26, 2017

Enable Vsync? I have been doing it wrong. I thought you always turn off Vsync in games if using Gsync?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I picked up an LG 27GL850 over the weekend. Upgrading from a 1080p TV and a 1920x1200 59hz monitor was quite the jump.
At first it felt like kind of a small thing, like, yeah this is definitely smoother and crisper, but then I looked at a normal screen and was like oh no
Games I've tried so far that work awesome:

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Destiny 2
The Outer Worlds
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
Diablo 3
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
The Witcher 3

Any more suggestions? I own DOOM but haven't tried it but I didn't like that game so eh
Age of Empires is actually my favourite game I've tried on this so far. I know FPS' are the most obvious way to test out 144hz but man, just having a super high res and smooth overhead perspective is really cool. Diablo 3 also looks stunning. I tried to run Warcraft 3 but for some reason it caps off at 65fps even with the framerate unlimited. I think it's a single core thing or whatever idk

One thing I didn't expect to be as noticeable was the responsiveness. You can really feel the difference in latency, even in emulators!

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gsync is pretty widespread these days, and yet for some reason I keep running into games that lack exclusive fullscreen mode and only run in borderless which isn't so great for gsync. Come on devs, it makes no sense.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So I'm looking for a new monitor and I'm ready to dive into the HRF fray. My rig has an RTX 2080, i7 9700k and 16GB RAM so I can certainly push pixels and performance, just want the right monitor to do it.

I'm looking for something that...
- is anywhere between 27"-48" inches.
- is at least 1440p.
- hits 120hz at least, 144hz preferred.
- has vivid colors, great saturation and limited/no blacklight bleed.
- runs under $700.
- G-Sync is a big bonus though not a requirement.

Any recommendations?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm looking for a new monitor and I'm ready to dive into the HRF fray. My rig has an RTX 2080, i7 9700k and 16GB RAM so I can certainly push pixels and performance, just want the right monitor to do it.

I'm looking for something that...
- is anywhere between 27"-48" inches.
- is at least 1440p.
- hits 120hz at least, 144hz preferred.
- has vivid colors, great saturation and limited/no blacklight bleed.
- runs under $700.
- G-Sync is a big bonus though not a requirement.

Any recommendations?
Acer Predator!

I love it!