• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
This is from the Series X subreddit but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share. So Yakuza Like A Dragon when running at 30fps renders in 4k on XSX and 1440p on XSS which is exactly what Microsoft told us.

However, what I though was more interesting was when running at 60fps on XSX it renders at 1440p but at that same frame rate it renders at 900p on the XSS. I've seen a few people wonder out loud what the Series S would do when a game was so graphically demanding that it needed to render at 1440p on the Series X, well it looks like we have our first glimpse at the outcome, A 900p resolution. Personally given the affordable nature of the machine I think this is fine but Reddit is not too happy about that. Hopefully the trend of having settings continues because I'm sure some would prefer 1440p30 over 900p60 (depending on the game).

gsa04w1r4qs51.png

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like it's important information to note that games like Yakuza Kiwami 2 ran at 1080p/30 FPS on PS4 Pro... 900p/60 isn't too strange considering the Series S's specs, honestly. It's all about context.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
well they did market the Series S as a 1440p and/or 120fps machine, 900p 60fps is obviously far from meeting the expectations that they set.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
1440p 60 on the Series X is a bit disappointing. But I'll mark that down to it being a cross-generational game.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
well they did market the Series S as a 1440p and/or 120fps machine, 900p 60fps is obviously far from meeting the expectations that they set.

Anyone who plays PC games know that 1440p and 120fps is not in the realm of possibility for the Xss.

1440p 60 on the Series X is a bit disappointing. But I'll mark that down to it being a cross-generational game.

The 2080 TI can't 4k60 locked on Yakuza Kawami. It's a demanding game series graphically.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's important information to note that games like Yakuza Kiwami 2 ran at 1080p/30 FPS on PS4 Pro... 900p/60 isn't too strange considering the Series S's specs, honestly. It's all about context.
That context doesn't really make this seem any better. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I feel like these new systems shouldn't have trouble doing something like Yakuza at *least* 1080p/60, and with how hard they're promoting 4k that should really be the expectation of the consumer.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Not that I don't trust the fine folks on Reddit but I'll wait for Digital Foundry to weigh in before freaking out. Too much bad tech info from respected sources today alone.

Also remember this is just a preview build.

Seaman

Oct 30, 2017
Yakuza Like a Dragon is far from what most would consider a graphically demanding game, based on the media out there so far. It's not like the game is using a lot of new technologies in its rendering pipeline just from simple observation.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
That context doesn't really make this seem any better. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I feel like these new systems shouldn't have trouble doing something like Yakuza at *least* 1080p/60, and with how hard they're promoting 4k that should really be the expectation of the consumer.

...the Series S is a budget console. PS4 Pro could only handle 1080p/30, it's not too shocking that the Series S wouldn't be able to manage 1080p/60 all things considered. Either way it's more a Yakuza problem than a Series S problem.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds about right considering the performance on the XSX. If it was 4K 60fps on XSX it will likely be 1080p 60fps on XSS.

The only people I see who are concerned about it are people who had no interest in Xbox to begin with.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Series S was a mistake. We will see lots and lots of games having to be scaled down to 720p on Series S this gen.
Yeah we will but it really isn't as much of a problem as you're trying to make out. It happened on the XB1 this gen as well. Good thing we don't need to wait 4 years to get the premium system this time around. Plus the market for the Series S doesn't really care, just like they don't really care currently on the XB1S.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
To make the splits that OP is talking about clear, Yakuza 7 seems to run at the following settings:

Series X: 4K/30, 1440p/60
Series S: 1440p/30, 900p/60
PS4 Pro: 1080p/30
PS4: 900p/30

Assuming the Xbox One consoles will be the same as the PS4 versions (ie 1080p and 900p, neither with 60fps modes) based on Kiwami 2.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Makes totally sense and everyone staying otherwise is overreacting for obvious reasons. RGG Studio is not very known for squeezing the most out of a console.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
People really underestimating how heavy Yakuza runs? o.o You can call it not graphically impressive - it still runs heavy. It's a perennially poorly optimized open world game. The game hits 1440p on Series S. That's not bad, considering people doubted games would rarely if ever get about 1080p. I'd be concerned that they were lying to me if they couldn't hit 1080/30.

If you're disappointed, that's fine. But there's nothing surprising or even really that concerning here.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Man, only online would I see people disappointed with 1440@30/900@60 for a next-gen open world* game on a $299 console.

Seaman

Oct 30, 2017
The 2080 TI can't 4k60 locked on Yakuza Kawami. It's a demanding game series graphically.
The game came out already?

The Yakuza series is pretty demanding at 4k.

I understand and Kawami doesn't look bad but I would say the game's not optimized as much as it could be then, because just compare it to Red Dead Redemption 2, any of the Call of Duty games or many others like Horizon, Gears of War 5, etc and tell me which of those games look worse or is not doing much more in terms of graphic technology and pushing the boundaries yet they all run great even on consoles.

strata

Oct 27, 2017
This is not really surprising, and what should be expected going forwards.

The Series S has 1/3 of the power of the Series X, and 900p is around 1/3 of the resolution of 1440p. It's more surprising that the S manages to render at 1440p in a game that runs at 4K on the X.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Fuck I'm getting a Series S but I'm worried about how it will be performing come 2022 when real exclusives start hitting.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
...the Series S is a budget console. PS4 Pro could only handle 1080p/30, it's not too shocking that the Series S wouldn't be able to manage 1080p/60 all things considered. Either way it's more a Yakuza problem than a Series S problem.
The Series S is coming out four years after the PS4 Pro. I'm sorry, but if we're supposed to expect performance on par with a four year old system with something that is coming out now and expected to hold up for several years, that seems like a bad product to me.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I know the Series S is a budget console, but 1080/60 should really be the baseline for something that's supposedly "next-gen". Especially in a cross-gen game.

OP
OP
AppleBlade

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Sounds about right considering the performance on the XSX. If it was 4K 60fps on XSX it will likely be 1080p 60fps on XSS.

The only people I see who are concerned about it are people who had no interest in Xbox to begin with.
If anything you're being conservative because at the same frame rate that the Series X runs Yakuza at 4k, the Series S does it at 1440p. However, I agree with you this is not the issue that I know the "concerned" citizens will make it out to be. I almost regret making this post because I see where things are going. I personally was happy with the news because I was just worried that 1440 XSX would need to run at 720p. I'm cool with 900p if it's a game that I really want that 60fps for. I mean the Series S is cheaper than the high end LAST gen consoles. I almost had enough to buy it by just selling my used PS4 pro. I'm cool with this.

RedBullRB6

Sep 4, 2020
I don't even understand why that is an issue. The people who are going to buy Series S clearly have other priorities than the highest resolution possible. If they did they would buy Series X. Yeah okay some hardcore gamers will buy it as an ADDITIONAL gamepass machine, but even they know what they are signing up for. The outrage about this is completely made up by people who are not even close to the target audience.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Series S is coming out four years after the PS4 Pro. I'm sorry, but if we're supposed to expect performance on par with a four year old system with something that is coming out now and expected to hold up for several years, that seems like a bad product to me.

1440p30 is on par with 1080p30?

It's a 78% increase in pixels.

No to mention that the game make no use of RDNA 2 tech.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I'm getting a Series S but I'm worried about how it will be performing come 2022 when real exclusives start hitting.

Yakuza games are terribly optimised. Don't worry.

Kiwami 2 runs at 1080p/30 on Xbox One X. Games like Gears 5 and DMCV manage 4K/60 on the same console and look about 25 times more advanced.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
IMO the resolution hit is so not worth it just to attain 60fps, especially when this game is now a turn based rpg.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is this game so demanding?
Is it something weird with the engine?

yeah Dragon Engine is a combo of being not particularly well-optimized (according to Kalaiden, the PC modder whose popular PC mods really helped with K2 on PC, it's a bit of a mess?) and weirdly demanding for its graphical features. no one should expect this to be the norm, Yakuza's Dragon Engine games are just super demanding and already abnormally low-res on current gen platforms

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
When running Demon's Souls at 60fps it's 1440p, and it's fantastic looking. It's all about context, I'm glad to see console games getting options for resolution and framerate. Personally, as a turn based game, I don't think Yakuza really benefits much from a higher fps, 4K 30 for me.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, for a turn based game do you really need 60fps? I'm pretty sure you could do some magic and have the UI run at 60fps while the game renders at 30.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The Yakuza series is pretty demanding at 4k.

Not quite. If I had to guess that video also has the game running with in-game supersampling mindlessly turned all the way up, coupled with 4K.

edit: bruh SSAA is set at 8X. It's running at an insane internal resolution.

Games like Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 can run on toasters. The Dragon engine though, used in Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2 and Like a Dragon is pretty demanding, or rather pretty unoptimized.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
To make the splits that OP is talking about clear, Yakuza 7 seems to run at the following settings:

Series X: 4K/30, 1440p/60
Series S: 1440p/30, 900p/60
PS4 Pro: 1080p/30
PS4: 900p/30

Assuming the Xbox One consoles will be the same as the PS4 versions (ie 1080p and 900p, neither with 60fps modes) based on Kiwami 2.

Series S is much more than 2x the power of base PS4 and should be able to run a higher resolution at just 2x framerate. 1440p is also less than 2x pixels compared to 900p, so 1440/30 doesn't make sense either. Are the textures/effects much better?