• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
My niece is 12 months and she *loves* controllers, she picks them up and holds them perfectly while smashing the buttons and moving the sticks.

She's never played an actual game I don't think, but we are going to get her a controller in her favorite colour because she just loves holding that thing.

Yeah, fair enough. I just wouldn't try to get them to actually play a game, at 14 months they aren't going to be doing much lol, and probably isn't too good for their eyes. I remember I used to pretend to play games with controllers when I was little, it was fun.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, fair enough. I just wouldn't try to get them to actually play a game, at 14 months they aren't going to be doing much lol, and probably isn't too good for their eyes. I remember I used to pretend to play games with controllers when I was little, it was fun.

I used to "play" cartoons like Tom & Jerry with the controller lol

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
By that point they can hold objects and place them in and out of containers. So probably. I genuinely don't remember. We didn't expose our kids to videogames until close to 3 or so and even then it was simple painting games.
They can. But instead of controlling the gamepad while looking at the TV, they'll probably play with the buttons and analogs while trying to destroy it instead.

If OP really want to play games with their toddler, I'd say get a toy gamepad and play together.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a disconnected controller will probably be good.
I was playing games myself by the time I was 2 and a half or 3, but I can't imagine a 14 month old knowing the difference.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
You're almost there. The same reason babies and toddlers can't catch balls is why they struggle with games. Stuff just moves too fast for their brains.

That changes around age 4. Almost there! ;)

My 3 year old son has nearly beat Bugsnax on his own. The only thing he needs from me usually is to read the conversations when he gets new missions. I just tell him what the mission is and he does it. He has gone from barely being able to play dual stick first person games in the last 6 months, to easily playing first person games like Bugsnax. Been wild to see a huge transformation in a matter of months. My youngest daughter, who is 10 now, beat Super Mario 3D World when she was four. She regularly drops into Sea of Thieves and rolls over people 😂. She had never played Fortnite 2 weeks ago, her cousin asked her to play online with him, and she ended up winning two out of her first four online matches. 👀 I heard about that for about 3 days straight.

I've never played Fortnite, but I've got to assume it's not that easy. LOL

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
My oldest child's first game was Animal Crossing, which she started playing at age 3. While she can't read, she understands how to move around and know where everything is, like the museum, or the beach. Make it fun for her too by making little carnival parks or fun areas.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
A second unplugged controller.

When my son got interested we played Lego Marvel and just stayed in the hub area. He learned quite a bit that way.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

41ClJrHEVlL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Are we dealing with some prodigy child or what? I've had 4 children and at 14 months all of them would be happy to hold a potato while looking at the magic picture box.
Seriously. people a 14 month old is not going to play a video game they'll hold a controller wonder away with it probably put it in their mouth for a bit smash the buttons and probably smash the controller on the ground for a bit too. What on earth 14 month old do yall think is gonna actually move a character and press buttons with any knowledge of what they do. Give them a toy controller i promise you your kid does not actually want to play with you he wants the thing you are holding.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
14 months?? My niece is 18 months old and it's a miracle if she ends up paying attention to any TV.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
What the actual fuck is wrong with some of you? 14 months is too young to play video games? What? And accusing OP of not wanting to play with their kid? Dude, kids are interested in what their parents do and want to be part of it. This is how hobbies and interests are forged for children. When I was a kid my parent's would let me just run around in whatever video game they or my uncle owned which was stuff like the original Sonic and Mario 64, hell I have vivid memories of walking around the hub area of Perfect Dark and Sonic Adventure. Letting my imagination run wild and enjoying the tactile experience of just playing a video game and interacting with it, regardless or not if I was making progress or knew what I was doing.

I can't fucking believe grown adults are gatekeeping a fucking toddler. Jesus Christ some of you need to get a fucking grip.

And to answer OP's question: Sonic Adventure 1, Donkey Kong 64, and Mario 64 were all games I played really when I was really little and as long as they stay in their respective hub areas they'll have a blast.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Good lord that child has an entire lifetime ahead of her of staring at screens, go play with her or read her a book or listen to some music or draw a picture with her. Anything but plunking her down in front of a TV at 14 months.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
My daughter enjoys Ibb & Obb. I've set up a controller configuration where every button jumps or moves and there's no pause/home to disturb gameplay. She basically just enjoys the little bouncing yellow balls and jumping from great heights but what can you expect.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Shut off the game and play with your child yikes.
Gotta get behind this comment OP. My son is now 8 1/2 and he didn't touch a system until 6 by design. We spent most of his early years interacting with him and teaching him math, reading etc.

I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kid because that's on you, but I'll say that playing, teaching and interacting with my son early paid dividends for us. He's hella good at sports, really loves math and reading. While he enjoys games, he'll cry if we take books away from him and that's how we want it.

14 months is too young OP.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021
I'll throw out Journey too. Didn't play a lot of it, but from what I remember, it seems like it would be a good one. Maybe Abzu could be good too? I feel like I remember hearing Journey comparisons about it.

I feel like I remember reading something about Gris being a game you can't really die in, so that might be another one to look at.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about them succeeding or failing at the game at that age. They just want to press buttons and see how the game reacts.

Mario's good.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Have to be careful with eyesight at 14month, still developing. My kids played very early but not that early. I d say a forgiving driving game may be easy , no need to go fast

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
What the actual fuck is wrong with some of you? 14 months is too young to play video games? What? And accusing OP of not wanting to play with their kid? Dude, kids are interested in what their parents do and want to be part of it. This is how hobbies and interests are forged for children. When I was a kid my parent's would let me just run around in whatever video game they or my uncle owned which was stuff like the original Sonic and Mario 64, hell I have vivid memories of walking around the hub area of Perfect Dark and Sonic Adventure. Letting my imagination run wild and enjoying the tactile experience of just playing a video game and interacting with it, regardless or not if I was making progress or knew what I was doing.

I can't fucking believe grown adults are gatekeeping a fucking toddler. Jesus Christ some of you need to get a fucking grip.

And to answer OP's question: Sonic Adventure 1, Donkey Kong 64, and Mario 64 were all games I played really when I was really little and as long as they stay in their respective hub areas they'll have a blast.

Weird reaction. Have you ever met a 14 month old? They will try to eat the controller and then toddle off to stick their finger in a socket. They aren't navigating around hub worlds forging wonderful new interests with their parents. I'm not telling the OP they're a bad person or anything - I let my now 4- year old hold the controller for Forza Horizon 4 when he was 1 or 2, though I stopped that when turning it off became a reliable source of meltdowns - but looking for specific games for a child that young just comes across strangely. The kid will be interested in whatever the parent is doing, they won't have any ability to coherently interact with the game itself over any length of time, so it hardly matters what game you choose.

At 2 or 3, sure maybe. 14 months is like... Most people in public still ask you about your "baby".

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Had my daughter hold the controller for a moment to show she should could for a photo, how does this seem impossible.

Does my daughter has massive hands or something?

IMG_0696.jpg

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Also, she doesn't have the attention span to play more than 5-10 minutes even if she could! We play constantly together with her blocks and stuffed animals and trains etc.

She just really is interested when I play and tries to hold the controller to move the character around.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
A lot of the recommendations ITT feel like they're coming from a place of "I have experience with games and this is what I'd imagine is suitable" and kinda lack the perspective around what at 14mo child is actually capable of.

Get them a toy or colorful controller, or one of your older ones, plug it in by usb or something and say they're the helper, then play any game that's colorful and they like the look of and attribute your successes to whatever they do as some kind of positive reinforcement. At that sort of age most kids I've seen want more to just feel involved and like they're part of the action instead of needing to actually be providing input.

Failing that the recommendation of building something like a blank room in Dreams with some basic movement and whatnot is pretty good if they really want to be able to move something and see a response. I'm sure there are simple demos and stuff for phones and PC etc. that could serve a similar purpose or you could write something rudimentary up.

The key is to try and avoid possible frustrations where inputs don't provide any kind of response and the like or you can get boxed in or otherwise stuck.

Or alternatively throw them into Dark Souls and get them started early. There was that twitter thread about some kid who beat Bloodborne, try and one up that.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Also, she doesn't have the attention span to play more than 5-10 minutes even if she could! We play constantly together with her blocks and stuffed animals and trains etc.

She just really is interested when I play and tries to hold the controller to move the character around.
As a parent and someone in the tech industry, don't do it OP. Books, books and more books.

Is parenting tiring AF, yes it is. Is reading the same book 30 times over tiring, yep.

Teaching her math can be fun. I started teaching my son with two yellow sticks and then we moved to different colors later. That way, he was learning both his colors and math and the same time. We started this at 6 months. Did he understand anything we were saying, we don't know, but it's mighty funny how quick he caught on and where he is now.

Last edited:

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
A disconnected controller. I mean, 14 months? Really? What are you expecting from a one year old here?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how people here think the OP is spending all their time playing games with the kid watching. People are capable of doing multiple different things throughout the day, including children.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Astro bot on PS5 is great. My toddler loves it. Also, Mario Kart 8 with every single aide on is a lot of fun for her.

cort1237

Feb 22, 2020
As a parent and someone in the tech industry, don't do it OP. Books, books and more books.

Is parenting tiring AF, yes it is. Is reading the same book 30 times over tiring, yep.

Teaching her math can be fun. I started teaching my so with two yellow sticks and then we moved to different colors later. That way, he was learning both his colors and math and the same time.
What's to say they aren't already doing that? You're making a lot of assumptions about OPs parenting.

Like their kid wants to move the controller sticks so therefore they can't be reading books to her? They can't be teaching numbers? Colors? All of that is just not possible?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
What's to say they aren't already doing that? You're making a lot of assumptions about OPs parenting.

Like their kid wants to move the controller sticks so therefore they can't be reading books to her? They can't be teaching numbers? Colors? All of that is just not possible?
I said 0 about his parenting skills. I didn't tell him he was a bad dad nor would I ever say that without fully knowing the situation and OP personally.

cort1237

Feb 22, 2020
I said 0 about his parenting skills. I didn't tell him he was a bad dad nor would I ever say that without fully knowing the situation and OP personally.
You insinuated it. When you tell someone to do something rather than another thing. You're implying that aren't already doing that thing. And when said suggestions are some of the most basic things a parent can do, then yes you are insulting their parenting skills. OP came in and asked a simple question and really there is no reason this thread has gone on as long as it has.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Honestly at 14 months they're going to have no idea what's going on. Go have a tickle fight or pretend to fly her around like an airplane.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Kids can do a lot of different things and try a lot of different activities, nothing wrong with letting them play video games.

Might be a bit early at 14 months but when my kid really wanted to learn how to play, we went through a lot of games including the usual suspects everyone always suggests. You know what ended up being the one we beat together as our first game? Moving Out. Crank on all assists and run around like maniacs slapping each other and throwing stuff into a moving truck. It's a total blast and you can for the most part solo every level if needed.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

Haha, what? Yes, 14 months is way too young for screen time, period. Look at what doctors or the WHO recommend regarding screen time before going all in on your take. I heavily doubt you have 'vivid memories' of anything you did when you where 14 months old, lol. Your stories as a kid are fine but add nothing because if you remember those days, you were certainly quite a lot older than 14 months.

And of course kids want to do what their parents do and be part of it. Nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is that OP seems to be playing video games while their 14 months old is awake and in the room. Not because of neglect or whatever. Fast moving images on a screen can have severe negative impact on the health and development of a kid under 2 years old. WHO recommends ZERO screen time under 24 months of age. But sure, make this about 'gatekeeping', wtf am I even reading.

OP, wait until your kid is about 2 years old and ask again. Until then, research the impact of screen time or ask your pediatrician and consider turning off the TV when your kid is around.

I've let my 2 and a half year old hold my Switch with MK8 and all help modes turned on and she liked that. Still wouldn't do that daily, personally, but sometimes. She's interested in the controllers I leave lying around after playing and has fun pushing buttons even when the TV isn't even on. She already develops some kind of interest in my hobby that way without overdoing it. There's still a lot of time for the next steps, no need to hurry.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
You insinuated it. When you tell someone to do something rather than another thing. You're implying that aren't already doing that thing. And when said suggestions are some of the most basic things a parent can do, then yes you are insulting their parenting skills. OP came in and asked a simple question and really there is no reason this thread has gone on as long as it has.
I said 0 about his parenting skills. You are making this into something it's not.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Stop it.

My 3 1/2 year old likes the Paw Patrol games and PJ Masks. They simple side scrollers. Alba is a fantastic game to just wander around with a character and explore with no threat or enemies.

There is a massive difference between a 14 month old and a 3 1/2 year old though.