• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Just get her a controller and let her go crazy with it while you play your game and interact with her, dont overthink it.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Shut off the game and play with your child yikes.

.... Immediately before this thread, I had spent the prior half hour feeding her.

Immediately after, I brought her on a half hour walk.

Earlier today we spent all day playing with new blocks.

.... I play with my child a lot... She just wants to play video games with me when I do play video games.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I would do the old school trick and give her an unconnected controller to play with or something
My 18 month old can definitely tell and I have no idea how. She sees me playing with her older brother and freaks out if she doesn't have a controller that does something.
Mario Kart 8 with Smart Steering and Auto Accelerate.

www.polygon.com

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes the game steer for you by default

First things first: Turn this feature off
This is a good one.
Bah! You just beat me! I second this.

I'll add something like Good Job! My son and I have been having a blast with it but he's much older. The good thing is there isn't really a fail state (unless it crashes) and you can finish the goal without her helping. But she can move the character around hitting A and fucking shit up.

14 months is very young to expect her to be able to do anything. She will also probably not let you help her at all.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Are we dealing with some prodigy child or what? I've had 4 children and at 14 months all of them would be happy to hold a potato while looking at the magic picture box.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): inflammatory accusations, a history of inflammatory commentary
No they don't. You are just looking for excuses to play the game with them in your lap so you don't worry about them crawling off somewhere.

Shut the games off and play with your kid for real.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Mine is nearly 4 now and still messes with the non-functional ds4 I have her when she was around 1 and change. It works for a long time.

Nowadays sometimes my wife will take her into Overwatch shooting range and let her play with D.va.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Can you give them a controller that is not plugged in or connected to anything? She may not realize she's not playing

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
14 month old able to hold a controller. huge. what's a strong career path for kid w giant hands?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Either hand them a disconnected controller or turn off the game and play with them. Kids at 14 months can't do much playing. Parroting is about the highest developmental milestone at that age.

If you must play something Forza or Mario Kart are great. Especially MK8 as it plays itself.

Last edited:

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
14 months? Dude they just wanna eat, shit, and smile at you. You could put anything on and they'll have no clue what's happening. Or at least very little.

Oct 25, 2017
At 14 months probably nothing. Unless they are a video game prodigy. Hand them an extra controller and let them pretend they're playing if they are really enamoured with it.

You can keep the disconnected controller thing going for awhile. My oldest is 4 and she likes running around in Astro Bot and Spider-Man. Mario Kart with assist is good too. Our 2 year old can't do much on their own and I can't imagine our 13 month old playing anything or holding a controller anytime soon.

Last edited:

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Tearaway is a fun game to play with kids since there's ways they can contribute without actually playing. So my son had a lot of fun with it when he was little.

I would play the game and whenever you get to a part where you have to draw something (and there's a lot) I would let him do that. Or when you have to say something in the mic. If you have the camera there's even camera stuff the game asks you to do where you make silly videos.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
My buddy's 18 month old wanted to play with us so we sat him in his little chair, handed him a disconnected controller, and let him think he was playing. Little dude had no idea and was enthralled.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Can a 14 month old even hold a controller?

I've yet to introduce gaming to my 3 y-o son. I don't play games in front of him.

By that point they can hold objects and place them in and out of containers. So probably. I genuinely don't remember. We didn't expose our kids to videogames until close to 3 or so and even then it was simple painting games.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't have the attention span to sit and game with you. Best to just give them a toy controller that makes sounds, and put on a friendly kid video or a recording of a friendly game.

My son likes a few minutes of Lego iron man games and he has an unplugged controller , then he gets bored and wants to watch the sonic movie for the 9000th time.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I believe everything I read on the internet, but I wanna make sure that you actually know this as a psychological fact because it's pretty interesting!

My son dabbled in games when he was 3. He started walking around luigis mansion. He couldn't coordinate movement along with a button press. Now he's just turned 5 and can tool around in any game. His favourite is exploring as Spider-Man.

Practice always makes perfect, but kids pretty much can't (fully) play games or track a ball to catch it until 3 years old because of the amount of brain power required. Gaming seems to be similar in my experience. Obv some kids will learn sooner, but you can only move as fast as your myelin grows in your brain. Until it develops, communication can't happen fast enough across the entirety of your brain. Hence, kids can't catch a ball until 3+ years old.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.. what? How would a 14month old even know what they playing.. like who cares how simple or complex the game is... The kid has no clue whats going on.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think she wants to actually play video games. She probably just wants to emulate you. And I highly, highly doubt she could actually legitimately play any game.

(And I also do think 14 months is a bit young to even think about playing games.)

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You're almost there. The same reason babies and toddlers can't catch balls is why they struggle with games. Stuff just moves too fast for their brains.

That changes around age 4. Almost there! ;)
I'll sign this.
My 11, 6, and 4 year old all play Shredder's Revenge with me. 4 year old knows enough to move towards enemies, run, jump and attack. That's enough while we do the rest.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
My almost 3 year old enjoys holding a random controller while I play Kirby on Switch. She doesn't realize she isn't actually controlling and she has a blast.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
My oldest daughter was all about Flower and Hohokum at that age. By 3 she was into Super Meat Boy. Now she plays a lot of beat em ups and RPGs.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
at 14 months my son was loving to pretend with an unplugged controller. I'm not someone who thinks a kid is too young, but they're probably not gonna get much at that age in terms of actually playing a video game.

By three he was starting to learn the basics. It's tempting to put on Super Mario Bros 1 or something basic like that, but 3D open world stuff like mario odyssey is way more intuitive for that age.

Also, bond however you want with your kids. Be it a PS5 or your grandpa's old lincoln logs. Shared experiences are shared experiences.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
My advice - Don't rush into it. Too much screen time is an actual real problem, especially with toddlers. The time to play video games with your kids will come with time, and you can enjoy it even more when they start to actually show they are getting good at it.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
There was an open world game that came out a few years ago. No combat, just wandering around, doing tasks, and crafting tons of stuff. It definitely had Coop as well.

EDIT:
store.steampowered.com

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles on Steam

Unwind and enjoy the slow life in Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, a relaxing open-world adventure game. Yonder is set in the world of Gemea. A natural island paradise with eight distinct environments ranging from tropical beaches to snow-capped summits.

Last edited:

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Fruit Ninja and drawing apps typically work out better imho.

Oh yeah, Mario 3D is pretty damn forgiving. Pretty much any game that doesn't require some form of dual stick control and has a fixed camera. The new Kirby is also good. Any Kirby, really.

Minecraft creative mode is fantastic to teach kids to use two sticks, but is frustrating for anyone not used to using one stick regularly. Don't even get me started on the menu/UI bloat in Minecraft nowadays.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be that guy but 14 months might be a bit young.
NpHjSF5.png

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
User warned: inflammatory accusations
It's literally just you and one other user assuming the worst about this guy and telling them to play with their kid "For real".

Maybe the 14-month old "desperately" wants to play games/mimic because they observe the parent paying attention to the game and not them?

Jul 7, 2021
As a parent of a now 8yo I would recommend you don't. They're going to be ass deep in screens soon enough. Stick to gaming when she's sleeping and instead do other things with her.

Arts and crafts? Exercises, word play and pretend, or spend more time outside. She needs the vitamin d and myopia has been linked to the ratio of time spent outdoors in the sun.

Anything but screens.

Trust me, I started playing games with my son at around age 5 and in hindsight I wish I would have waited a year or two more. You want the excited about engaging in other Activia besides games. They'll obsessed over them way too soon.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
At 14 months they're better off smacking a tablet screen to burst some virtual bubbles or balloons than holding a controller.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm impressed with your 14 month old o.o dang..

Maybe something like donut county? Just one joystick and then you just mess around with stuff (except for the later boss fights). Not coop though. I wonder how she would do on some of the action-oriented mobile games (you know like subway surfer and the like).

People are suggesting Minecraft in creative. But perhaps it's better to do Minecraft in peaceful mode? Either way, I imagine things like dual stick controls are going to be hard for a 1 year old. Which is the same thing with AC discovery mode. On the other hand... you start early and you may get an esports pro out oof her yet...

[Actually bad advice: Have you considered getting her into VR?]

Nov 4, 2017
I'm also one of those "be careful with kids and screen time" wet blankets.

When my daughter started getting into games, she really enjoyed Mario Kart (quite kidproof once you put on the auto accelerate and steer assist) and Age of Calamity. With the early parts of AoC you can literally just run around button mashing to win and it looks cool while you do it.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
At 14 months they're better off smacking a tablet screen to burst some virtual bubbles or balloons than holding a controller.

My niece is 12 months and she *loves* controllers, she picks them up and holds them perfectly while smashing the buttons and moving the sticks.

She's never played an actual game I don't think, but we are going to get her a controller in her favorite colour because she just loves holding that thing.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing arcade games in bars when I was a toddler (things were different back then). Guess I must be a video game prodigy by ya'lls standards.

I've found that mini-games in MMOs are weirdly soothing when babysitting younger ones. Fishing, gardening, pet battles, etc. But that's less coop than it is letting them make the decisions and you doing the action.