• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The situation is sad. Kids shouldn't have to do things like this indeed. Here's the thing though, he didn't have to, and wasn't forced to. Some are celebrating the rare action of a son to be there for his family. That used to be a common value at one point. It's sadly lost for many. Life is hard, and this kid gets it.
He did have to, his mother needed transportation and he saw this as the only means of providing it. You know what used to be a common value? Society providing for its members so that their children don't have to do things like this. Life is hard, but we can try and make it easier for people.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The situation is sad. Kids shouldn't have to do things like this indeed. Here's the thing though, he didn't have to, and wasn't forced to. Some are celebrating the rare action of a son to be there for his family. That used to be a common value at one point. It's sadly lost for many. Life is hard, and this kid gets it.
I'd think he was forced to because if his mother couldn't drive and couldn't work because of it, he would starve, not to say he didn't do it for good reasons but don't make this out to be a situation where he could idly by and let someone else help him

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
If baseline observations about how this is shitty is bumming you out more than the story in the Op, you might have to take time to rethink your values.
So now that I've thought about how sad this situation is, what's the solution? Or is just pointing something out that's obvious considered mission accomplished.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they set up a GoFundMe and Xbox is stepping in to help is just the public stepping in and doing what the government SHOULD be doing, which is taking care of its citizens. If you can't see how that is emblematic of deep societal issues then idk how else to explain it to you.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now that I've thought about how sad this situation is, what's the solution? Or is just pointing something out that's obvious considered mission accomplished.
The solution is to support more robust social safety nets so that such sacrifices on the part of children is unnecessary. Also donating to the GoFundMe.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at ppl in this thread trying to find a way to be mad at the mom and not the system that leads to situations like these every day

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Vote to raise taxes on the rich/corporations and create a real security net like the rest of the West.

Solutions are low hanging fruit when it comes to the US, considering how many examples of a healthier societies you can just copy. Relying in gofundme's for healthcare and major isues like this should embarass anyone who claims to be proud to live in the worlds richest country.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I think the story itself is pretty uplifting. The fact that the kid stepped up to do that is pretty impressive to me, and also kind of heartwarming that he's looking out for his family at such a young age. That certainly doesn't mean I think their situation itself is ideal or anything to be happy about. Just how this kid dealt with it.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Vote to raise taxes on the rich/corporations and create a real security net like the rest of the West.

Solutions are low hanging fruit when it comes to the US, considering how many examples of a healthier societies you can just copy.
Statistically this child most likely won't leave this income level for his entire life, so I guess it's good that he's learning early that the system won't provide or care for him in any way, shape or form?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
User warned: trolling
The fact that they set up a GoFundMe and Xbox is stepping in to help is just the public stepping in and doing what the government SHOULD be doing, which is taking care of its citizens. If you can't see how that is emblematic of deep societal issues then idk how else to explain it to you.

I agree. I demand the government give me car!

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Yep, exactly this. A 13 year old child shouldn't have to sell what makes him happy and work his ass off for his family to get by. There's nothing happy about this.
Lol what a sheltered, first-world take.

The kid sold his Xbox and did yard work to buy a car. I'm sorry but how is that supposed to suggest struggle? Doing yard work is working his ass off?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at ppl in this thread trying to find a way to be mad at the mom and not the system that leads to situations like these every day
People here seem to have hard time empathizing with the mom. Imagine you are a single parent with three kids and can't even afford a car for work and you 13 years old has to help. Is this fair to you? No, it isn't.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I can already see one trajectory for his life, forced by economic circumstance to work at a young age, he will have to continue working through school, losing opportunities to study and won't be able to pay for college, dooming him to the same dead end jobs that will keep him locked in this perpetual cycle of poverty.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The kid sold his Xbox and did yard work to buy a car. I'm sorry but how is that supposed to suggest struggle? Doing yard work is working his ass off?
The fact that a 13 year old had to sell his most valuable possessions and work in order to provide his mother with a means of transportation suggests a pretty significant amount of struggle, yes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
In return for this tax increase, you'd never have to worry about healthcare and education for your children again. I don't see how this isn't a good trade-off, especially in a country like the US which has quite literally one of the most inhumane and expensive healthcare systems on the planet.
Because our taxes would be raised and we wouldn't get quarter of what you're advertising.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
great character shown by the kid. that ability to sacrifice will carry him through life.
unfortunately if his situation is so dire, there wont be much more he'll be able to sacrifice....which is absolutely heartbreaking.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I can already see one trajectory for his life, forced by economic circumstance to work at a young age, he will have to continue working through school, losing opportunities to study and won't be able to pay for college, dooming him to the same dead end jobs that will keep him locked in this perpetual cycle of poverty.
You're right, if he's lucky he'll have an opportunity that will drastically change his life but most likely that's what's gonna happen :/
2nd world country thank you very much. We aren't 3rd world filth like Mexico. /s

This is what we will be reduced too in a few years.
Funny that 2nd world countries are never really defined..

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The United States is the richest country in the world and yet they continually have shit that would be literal horror stories in any other Western country (and quite a few Asian ones as well).
aywgyi13c1k11.jpg

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
The fact that a 13 year old had to sell his most valuable possessions and work in order to provide his mother with a means of transportation suggests a pretty significant amount of struggle, yes.

Pretty significant amount of struggle, can you even hear yourself?

Struggle is kids not having any food on their table.
Kids having to scour trash to find garbage that they can sell. Walking kilometers to get clean water. That's struggle. Selling your video game and doing yard work to buy a car isn't.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Or you know...public transportation?
How about bankrolling a robust public transport solution, instead?

I swear to god, it's like these people never thought about these issues more than when they are shit posting on the Internet.

Local governments are trying and more can be done sure, but it's not like public transportation doesn't exist. Some places just do it better and that can be down to any number of challenges that might not be as straight forward as "throw revenue at it".

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Kids having to scour trash to find garbage that they can sell. Walking kilometers to get clean water. That's struggle. Selling your video game and doing yard work to buy a car isn't.
What do you think was going to happen if the mother wasn't able to go to work because of the car that she was lacking exactly?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If his mother didnt have transportation than his family would very quickly not have any food on their table. It's like you didn't even give this situation more than a few seconds of thought.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Is there a graph for when I need to start caring about poor people's stuggle? Like maybe a chart, or an infographic for when empathy should kick in?

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Because our taxes would be raised and we wouldn't get quarter of what you're advertising.
I don't see how you can say this with any other lens than mistrusting the US government. (Which is quite understandable really).

Let me tell you now, if that woman didn't have a car and couldn't work as a result and that kid didn't work like a fucking dog for that car, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they would be doing.
The fact it's happening in the richest country on Earth is nothing short of disgusting.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Local governments are trying and more can be done sure, but it's not like public transportation doesn't exist. Some places just do it better and that can be down to any number of challenges that might not be as straight forward as "throw revenue at it".
None of that has anything to do with the bullshit 'people are saying the government should provide cars' misdirect you did in your last post.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I live in third world and teens can only work at 16. This is a US thing

Dec 2, 2017

Are you taking the piss? Is there a level of suffering you have to go through before we can consider it 'struggling' then?

defghik

Feb 15, 2018

It's incredible to me how completely lacking in global perspective Americans can be, with this post being a prime example. The planet is littered with examples of countries that get exactly the things Hierophant was talking about (single payer healthcare that's free at the point of service, free higher education, robust public transport, etc.) that objectively rank better in almost every category - healthcare outcomes, life satisfaction, happiness, etc etc etc. yet so many Americans still act like it's Utopian fantasy.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Where I live it might as well not exist.
There are a lot of policies that resulted in the situation we have now.
Minimum parking for example is directly responsible for cities not having anything in walkable distance anymore.
There's a lot that can be done but it needs to be recognized and it takes time to correct the last 50 years or so of thinking of cities as places where car lives.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
yes the situation sucks and in an ideal world the kid should not have to do what he did...but the great thing is that he did and thats inspirational and a great thing to do.

some of yall spend so much time in such a negative space that you cannot see the good in anything without immediately focusing on the negative. More than likely this kid's selfless act will not only get him rewarded but probably put a spotlight on his peeps' struggles...thats a good. Going on and on about the hellscape or capitalism or what ever else is sad as fuck that you would immediately go there.

yall must live some sad ass lives