• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Sure there is, the kid is mature beyond his years and it's a learning experience. He did the right thing to take care of family. How many 13 year olds would give a fuck enough to do that.

No 13 year old should be put in such a position, or celebrated for this kind of sacrifice, period.

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
Its possible to have that and also a captialistic system in terms of how to do business. The Scandinavian countries manages it for example. People can start their own business and make as much money as they like, but they also have access to free* health care and education (atleast for the first 10 years, regarding school). No one has to starve or live on the street either. I definitely agree that more things could be done in several countries around the word, but its not just about captialism.

* = People do pay taxes, and thats one part that goes to cover the cost of health care and such things. But even if people are sick and are unable to work at all, they still get it covered however.

In America, even mundane policy proposals become about whether or not you're Doing Capitalism™. Which is basically the joke of this meme:

7s818t2bdkh21.jpg

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thinking child labour is wack is being "too woke" now?

Overton window. When illness bankrupting people is the new normal, child labor is not out of the ordinary either, and criticising either is being far too idealistic. Corporations won the ideologic war.

In America, even mundane policy proposals become about whether or not you're Doing Capitalism™. Which is basically the joke of this meme:

7s818t2bdkh21.jpg

This is hilarious in itself, but particularly amazing considering someone in this thread just called me "idiotic" (for suggesting Europe's model is better than the US) because "Europe is also capitalist". :D

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree with you about how ALL jobs should pay way more than what can be offered by government assistance. With all the other costs of basic necessities besides food and shelter (like healthcare). And obviously I don't know her exact situation, but I remember my boss being completely shocked and telling me that story and that led to my interpretation, too. And I was thinking only of unemployment specifically, not any other government program (short-sighted on my part). From my understanding, unemployment eventually runs out after a certain period of time.

Admittedly, I have my own personal views and I did try and say if no other external factors existed in my last post. Not trying to be antagonistic and I think fundamentally agree in the sense that meager government assistance should not be anywhere close to what a company should be providing as a living wage. Companies should obviously pay more in that situation.
You used that story as an example of people being unwilling to work when they should be working, but it's not an example of that, it's an example of wages being so low that the job is literally not worth working. I get why that was your gut reaction, but that mindset being so prevalent is part of why the situation here is so bad.
in theory goverment assistance gives you the necessary to not starve to death or die frozen .

can you imagine being someone looking for a job and being offered less than that?

and you should take it just because ITS THE HONORABLE THING TO DO.
Yup, doesn't make sense.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are... are we actually calling a kid makin some dosh doing yard work "child labor"

I'd hate to hear how y'all woulda tore into my parents for allowing me to put up fliers for lawn mowing as a kid to pay for a computer.
It becomes child labor when he's doing the yardwork to support his family and not for personal spending money.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Right, it's the immutable laws of the "world and life". Not a morally bankrupt system making people literally bankrupt.
Oh and what should change?
"Kid jumps in front of her mother to stop a bullet, is killed."
"What a happy story!"
What the hell are you talking about? What does that have to do with this?
"Child labor is good, actually."
Doing yard work is child labor? Lol do you think my parents purchased my video games when I was younger? Do you know how many lawns I had to mow to buy Street Fighter 2 and a SNES to play it on? Come on now. Don't be silly.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Doing yard work is child labor? Lol do you think my parents purchased my video games when I was younger? Do you know how many lawns I had to mow to buy Street Fighter 2 and a SNES to play it on? Come on now. Don't be silly.

You know there's a difference between doing work for toys and doing work for basic survival needs, right?

lonnie413

Jul 9, 2018
The s
7 Million Americans Behind on Car Payments

People are buying too much car for their income. I hate making the car payments on my new Explorer. I've always bought used, then paid a car off and kept it for years. My explorer is my first real NEW car (15 miles off the lot) in my life, and I'm 36.

I can currently afford my Explorer, but it makes me uncomfortable, lol.
So the crazy thing with me is, I admittedly have bad credit but even with a cosign with decent credit, which lol sorry grandma, I couldn't qualify for financing on the $4,500 used car I actually wanted but I qualified for the $19,500 Dodge Dart which to me makes aboslutely no sense.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In so much of this country if you don't have access to a car you are totally screwed. I really wish there were more public transportation options in place.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution with three kids, but dammit, it'd be something.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I wish better for this family.

What the child did was remarkable.

I just wish that he didn't need to do it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The s

So the crazy thing with me is, I admittedly have bad credit but even with a cosign with decent credit, which lol sorry grandma, I couldn't qualify for financing on the $4,500 used car I actually wanted but I qualified for the $19,500 Dodge Dart which to me makes aboslutely no sense.
The car buying/loan industry is incredibly predatory.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
She's shitty because putting food on the table takes precedence over saving for college? The hell are you on about?
You know her circumstances? She more than likely needs that car to go out and make money. Bills and shit.
Yes I am for real. You are not supposed to take thousands of dollars out of your 13-year old child's pocket. I am a father of 2 and I have been through hard times and some real motherfucking bankrupt, unemployed, foreclosed, bad-neighborhood, car-stolen, house-broken-into shit and never in my wildest goddamn dreams would I treat the fruits of the labor of my child as something I am entitled to.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Even if the situation is sad, this is uplifting, every family can go through an economic crisis and weall should be always prepared to give up on luxuries. Its a positive message of maturity and non materialism that should be more common.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
are... are we actually calling a kid makin some dosh doing yard work "child labor"

I'd hate to hear how y'all woulda tore into my parents for allowing me to put up fliers for lawn mowing as a kid to pay for a computer.

If you are working towards the households income and not pocket money, then yes it's child labour.

It's not complicated.

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
Smart kid. Now the internet will buy him every console.

I sold my Xbox, bought my mom a car. The internet, they loved it, they bought me ten consoles! Best deal I ever made.
In so much of this country if you don't have access to a car you are totally screwed. I really wish there were more public transportation options in place.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution with three kids, but dammit, it'd be something.

I was handed a $700 estimate for some recommended car maintenance while getting a flat tire replaced the other day. Needless to say, it was a real thing that happened when I fell to my knees in the lobby and screamed at the Train God to tell me why I've been forsaken.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I am for real. You are not supposed to take thousands of dollars out of your 13-year old child's pocket. I am a father of 2 and I have been through hard times and some real motherfucking bankrupt, unemployed, foreclosed, bad-neighborhood, car-stolen, house-broken-into shit and never in my wildest goddamn dreams would I treat the fruits of the labor of my child as something I am entitled to.
I really think you are misunderstanding the situation here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The exact same inhuman types who will argue against any kind of social reform through "reason and facts" against "emotion" will then turn around and criticize people and call them cynical for seeing through this dystopian and depressing story.

I fucking wonder why.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh and what should change?

Assuming this is a (baffling but) legit question, and that you somehow missed my three other posts about it: how about US copying a bit of what Europe is doing? You know, free healthcare, state-sponsored education and transportation, crazy stuff like that. It's been working out really well for us for decades!

I swear sometimes it feels like some US people think Europe is literally a fictional fairytale kingdom or something.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty tragic to be honest. Kids a good kid but the fact that the kid felt like he had to do this is sad.

Like shit...super personal talk. I was 13, mom was married to dad, hated dad and wanted to move to the states to be happy with this guy she met on line. She was torn about it because she didn't want to leave me and I didn't want to leave Canada for buttfuck no where United States. What did I do? Told her to go, be happy cause she was old and needed to be happy. I thought I was some awesome mature kid for being strong enough to tell my mom that it would fine and for her to be happy.

I was 13, I didn't realize how messed up of a situation it was that she listened to me. I didn't realize how a kid at my age SHOULDN'T be helping his parent make a major life choice like that.

Same with this kid, he did a great thing for his mom but later in life he is going to realize how sad and tragic this situation is and how messed up it is that he even felt like he needed to do that.

Oct 28, 2017
Some the responses in here feel like they come from some weird place of entitlement. Have any of you guys been poor as a kid? Like dead broke poor? Gas off in the winter poor? Syrup sandwich poor?

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He got her a car so she can move around and take care of her family

Deleted member 13250

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kid was raised right, and doing right by his family. Videogames are great but not a necessity. Love to read stories like this.

EDIT: Oh man there are some strange takes in here. This can't be just a nice story about a kid working to help his family.. this is all about bringing down capitalism eh?

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

the kid didnt get money, he struck a deal for the car.

would you sell away a gift from your kids?

what a shitty father

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This is pretty tragic to be honest. Kids a good kid but the fact that the kid felt like he had to do this is sad.

Like shit...super personal talk. I was 13, mom was married to dad, hated dad and wanted to move to the states to be happy with this guy she met on line. She was torn about it because she didn't want to leave me and I didn't want to leave Canada for buttfuck no where United States. What did I do? Told her to go, be happy cause she was old and needed to be happy. I thought I was some awesome mature kid for being strong enough to tell my mom that it would fine and for her to be happy.

I was 13, I didn't realize how messed up of a situation it was that she listened to me. I didn't realize how a kid at my age SHOULDN'T be helping his parent make a major life choice like that.

Same with this kid, he did a great thing for his mom but later in life he is going to realize how sad and tragic this situation is and how messed up it is that he even felt like he needed to do that.

Not everyone is... Like that. I was dirt poor and tried to help my family as early as 8 years old despite how fucked up they were. I'm still proud that I tried and don't regret it, it shows genuine maturity at a young age.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Watch the kid get the Anthem bundle from major nelson.

Kid's gonna go places. Early trials will build resolve.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the situation is sad, this is uplifting, every family can go through an economic crisis and weall should be always prepared to give up on luxuries. Its a positive message of maturity and non materialism that should be more common.
It's an example of how broken our system is that people can be this desperate, there is no positive 'non-materialism' message here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not everyone is... Like that. I was dirt poor and tried to help my family despite how fucked up they were. I'm still proud that I tried and don't regret it, it shows genuine maturity at a young age.
The trying to help is fine. The wanting to help is fine. That does show maturity. It's still a messed up situation.

I really hope in a situation like this she is super thankful to the kid, still accepts the car but lets him know that any other money he makes is HIS. As long as she doesn't take advantage of her kids generosity everything is fine.

That and the situation still sucks that the kid had to do this. Kid was forced to grow up early, it sucks.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Not everyone is... Like that. I was dirt poor and tried to help my family as early as 8 years old despite how fucked up they were. I'm still proud that I tried and don't regret it, it shows genuine maturity at a young age.

No one should be "mature" before the proper age, children should be children.