• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If they have the degree then I don't care about their age.

I trust the system enough to not place a jackshit moron in charge of my life.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
It's a no from me

I'd rather medical school has age limits of 18 to enter

Why?

I can understand some grey areas of age-gating aspects of jobs/media/experience or whatever but in terms of a medical career shouldn't it just be a case of education and first-hand experience being the barrier of entry?

If someone is 23 and had the exact same educational, and same career-experience path as someone who is say 33 why would you refuse treatment or the opinion of the younger person?

No one is saying this 13-year-old should be allowed short-cuts and will be bound to same regulatory practice times and such before qualification as any other Doctor. Getting into Med School at 13 doesn't mean they'll be a fully autonomous physician at 15; that obviously would be insane.

There's generally a correlation between maturity, educational preparation and such between steps but humans aren't a singular homogeneous species so there are bound to be exceptions. Let the outliers proceed.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I'm a pediatrician and in my opinion we should let children be children. Life is not a race to finish first.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
If they have the degree then I don't care about their age.

I trust the system enough to not place a jackshit moron in charge of my life.

I would imagine experience in practicing medicine is pretty valuable on top of the degree.

If you asked me to choose between two trained surgeons and one had done the procedure successfully 100 times and the other 5, it would be an easy choice.

Strong Island

May 11, 2020
Eh as a physician this is a bad idea. Medicine is much more than book-smarts. The emotional maturity needed to handle things like end of life care isn't something that one gains just by being in school- it's something that comes from living life and maturing independently. I was one of the youngest people in my med school class- I definitely had a lot of work to do relative to those in my class that had prior careers before a school.

This is a feel good story but I think it's a horrible idea. I have seen lack of maturity from many who went through accelerated BA/MD programs where their training was shortened by 1-2 years. This wouldn't fly up here in the Northeast.,

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Congrats. Don't fall into the trappings of genius kids, though. Gotta keep a level head. There's a reason why breakthroughs aren't made by former kid geniuses even though people think it will happen.

What?

Mozart was a child prodigy.
Terence Tao is one of the most celebrated mathematicians nowadays, and he started attending college at age 9.

There are many many more examples...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I would imagine experience in practicing medicine is pretty valuable on top of the degree.

If you asked me to choose between two trained surgeons and one had done the procedure successfully 100 times and the other 5, it would be an easy choice.
Oh well obviously if given the choice between someone new or someone experienced you were going to choose someone experienced, but every surgeon and doctor on the planet had a first surgery and a first patient.

So the question is would you be comfortable being the first of either and given the rigorous training required I would be.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I feel like this is robbing her of her childhood. I'd never let my kid do this

what if she changes her mind about medical school? I changed my mind about careers a ton of times throughout my teenage years. she won't be able to make friends or really get any of the non-academic experiences you get out of high school and university

not to mention this is just too much pressure for a 13 year old

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is robbing her of her childhood. I'd never let my kid do this

what if she changes her mind about medical school? I changed my mind about careers a ton of times throughout my teenage years. she won't be able to make friends or really get any of the non-academic experiences you get out of high school and university

not to mention this is just too much pressure for a 13 year old
She's still doing undergrad at ASU.
She hopes to start medical school in 2024, so she could be 15-16 when she starts if she even decides to go.

I'm sure she will get more offers and choices in the next two years.

The headline is a little clickbaity, she just accepted a future offer - she's not attending med school in the fall.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not, I don't care how smart she is, 17 year olds are immature.

This. I've had a lot of contact with students doing combined MD and undergrad programs. They're often 22-23 when the graduate. Theyre commonly known as being way immature compared to their peers, even with just a few year difference.

It would be extremely rare to have someone her age handle speaking and connecting with patients well, delivering bad news etc.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great story, and good for her. I feel like there are SO many kids out there who would benefit from skipping a grade or two and getting to more challenging things earlier. I wish the US educational system was built for that - and that this wasn't the exception rather than the rule. Some kids know what they want at a young age - we shouldn't deprive them of that. Some kids are well equipped to do it. We need more stories like this. The youth are always what drives the best change.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
You're wrong. I'll leave it at that

no, explain to me exactly how this is a "gift"?
a gift seems to imply they were somehow chosen to receive a neurological present somehow, And we know that's not correct.

id love to know how you falsely think that works, unless of course you mean being lucky enough to be brought up in an environment that favours academic achievement - that must I can buy.

in the field of medicine experience counts. It's not all about learning stuff, it's hard work and it takes sacrifice and emotional maturity. children should not be subjected to this. By all means academically learn, but they should wait to practice. It's too much at this age.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's great from a child genius POV, a great show of talent, but I have no idea if it's actually a good thing for the person itself.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Good on her. I hope she gets to live a healthy and balanced teenage-dom while pursuing her ambitions.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who's just finished med school and began life as a doctor, me too.

Medicine can be absolutely soul crushing to get through as an adult.

I'd have hated to have missed out on a (relatively) stress free childhood/adolescence.

Strange you can start med school at 15, too. You have to be 18 at least here in the UK, I believe.
As someone who's an attending physician, I agree with all this.

It's a rough and long journey, from med school to residency and to fellowship (if applicable), and it's filled with a LOT of personal sacrifices that you likely need to make in order to get through it. I would've hated to rush into that whole process and miss out on a ton of things in my childhood, if I was in this person's situation.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alabama is tricking me, I thought it was a story that they'd let anyone in!

Very, very happy to be proven wrong here. Good on this kid.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I would still be wary of admitting someone this young into medicine even if they are on paper very accomplished. - the field is much more than simply learning from books, memorizing facts, doing well on tests etc. A lot of emotional maturity is involved, and much of that comes from life experience - there are certain things that she will certainly encounter in medical school and beyond that will test not her intelligence, but rather her skills in addressing complex emotional issues - people too young (or rather, those with less life experience) are generally ill-equipped to interact with patients in that way. That aspect is unique to medicine in comparison to other "high achieving" fields such as scientific research, engineering etc. in which child prodigies may be more successful. As someone going through it right now, professional medical training is extremely difficult, often soul crushing - I feel bad for her in the sense that she'll really miss out on having a proper childhood.
This is an excellent point that a lot of people may overlook

That emotional maturity is a huge component in our field, and to me, it's just as important as the knowledge component

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Teenage doctor.
Could be a great show.
It was.

images

And is.

images

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
How young? It's hard as fuck to get into med school. I'm starting Monday and I'm 25. So I won't even be a doctor until 29.
Firstly..
Congratulations! Seriously med school is hard as fuck to get into so congratulations, that's not sarcasm.

Secondly as someone who is in his 40s now, I do prefer a doctor in their 30s-50s

It feels any older than that and they get stuck in their ways and they don't learn about new procedures, medications, Etc.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a "gift". There is no such thing as a gift.

You could probably train most children up to do this, at the same age. But we don't, because we want them to be children.

You really can't force it, the stars have to align. Many children could, but those same many will not because the stars really have to align. It's something only a few can do.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You really can't force it, the stars have to align. Many children could, but those same many will not because the stars really have to align. It's something only a few can do.

I'd say it's less a gift than having the right people around you to nurture the child's natural talents and guiding them along the way. No man is an island and no child prodigy got there on their own.