• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VanLeer said Peyton died less than two weeks after he last attended class.

The boy's last day of eighth grade was on October 22. He began a quarantine on October 26.

Within a week, his symptoms worsened. Baumgarth was hospitalized and over the weekend succumbed to complications of Covid-19, his family told the school district.

The school said it would provide counselors for children when they returned to in-person class on Wednesday, and asked for the community's "thoughts and prayers."
NBC News

The state with the same Governor that said children "will get over it" in regards to getting COVID from going back to school.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
We walked this child to his death so we could have a sense of "normalcy". RIP.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
RIP. I feel so bad for him and his parents, and so scared for my own kid.

I want to call mom and tell her to forget about playground time, and just bring him home. They keep distance, they wear masks and they leave if it gets crowded, but who knows if that's enough.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poor kid had his whole life ahead of him and should not have died due to sheer incompetence of his community and his country.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
that's fucking awful. goddamn it, that pisses me off. his life was just getting started and then wiped out just like that. fuck anyone that thinks kid are somehow immune

severely fucked up that we're sending them all off to get sick while all these places are wfh. talk about double standards

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RIP. I feel so bad for him and his parents, and so scared for my own kid.

I want to call mom and tell her to forget about playground time, and just bring him home. They keep distance, they wear masks and they leave if it gets crowded, but who knows if that's enough.
It may be better to have more controlled playdates for the kids if possible, especially if the parents of the kid can get tested in advance or the kid is of age to be tested.

Not telling you what to do - a lot of this depends on the amount of cases in your region. Just a suggestion though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I feel awful for that family.

My daughter is 13 and this entire year has sent her mental health into a nosedive. She's not doing well not seeing her friends or being in class. My wife is at the point where she just wants the schools open again-so her mental health will get better and my argument is essentially this article. What good is mental health if you die?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We walked this child to his death so we could have a sense of "normalcy". RIP.

The poor kid (and many others) died because assholes wanted to go to Applebees.

My daughter is 8. Here in Seattle the schools are closed through the end of January at the earliest. We don't go to restaurants or stores, etc. She sees friends on Zoom every day, and we have one family in our bubble which just happens to be my best friend, my wife's best friend and our daughter's best friend and we see them in person every other week on average. Neither of us see other people and we all work from home, so that has helped a ton.

When you ask my daughter about school, she says she misses it but also doesn't want to go back until it's safe.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

My daughter is 13 and this entire year has sent her mental health into a nosedive. She's not doing well not seeing her friends or being in class. My wife is at the point where she just wants the schools open again-so her mental health will get better and my argument is essentially this article. What good is mental health if you die?

Yeah this is when some things like playing games with friends online can help. Minecraft, Among Us particularly, stuff like that, anything where they can talk to each other, laugh. Even parents can join in :)

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single child dying right now is acceptable. We are better than this. Fuck the death cult driving school openings.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
We had the option to send our 8 year old back for hybrid learning 3 days a week, we said FUCK NO

its not even worth the risk

So sorry for that boy and his family

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Horrifying to learn someone who had their whole life ahead of them lost their life because of sheer incompetence and greed.

People in leadership should be jailed and tried in court... but they'll get off completely free, complete travesty.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly sad that children are going to die or get lifelong complications because some people can't stand not having haircuts and their "normal" lives back. I hope this spurs talks about how we can make better safety nets and support systems for pandemic times, but I'm not optimistic considering people treat hundreds of thousands of deaths like a joke or hoax,

Nov 17, 2017
"Thoughts and prayers." The kid is already dead. They could've actually done something to prevent that. Boy do I hate that phrase. It virtually means nothing but a low effort attempt at appearing sympathetic.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a single child dying right now is acceptable. We are better than this. Fuck the death cult driving school openings.

This is a more complicated issue than this.

For example, my oldest with some slight disabilities was suffering mentally in a very severe way due to a combination of general anxiety from COVID, lack of socialization and, and missing out on learning. I don't know what would have happened to him if in-person schooling did not resume in the fall but due to that an a combination of expensive therapy sessions and prescription drugs he has managed to bounce back nicely.

Well I feel awful for this family as this is absolutely the worst case scenario and a nightmare that constantly plays out in my mind with my own family. The fact is, this is taking a toll on everyone families and with so many ignorant assholes out their almost intentionally sabotaging efforts to eradicate the virus there is really no way to go about this that doesn't leave lives destroyed in some capacity.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Thoughts and prayers." The kid is already dead. They could've actually done something to prevent that. Boy do I hate that phrase. It virtually means nothing but a low effort attempt at appearing sympathetic.
its perfect for the people that don't give a shit but can appear to care and also pretend they are religious and wholesome.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Did he have any underlying conditions?
Not listed in this article, but I saw another on reddit with a picture of him. Hard to say based off only that, but he did appear to be morbidly obese, so it wouldn't surprise me if that factored into it.

Still, nobody deserves to have their life cut short no matter what kind of shape they're in. A completely avoidable loss of life.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Missouri and our school district starts in-person 5 days per week in less than 2 weeks. It's full steam ahead with zero consideration for COVID at this point. Kids will wear masks but they've decided to just roll with it.

Mine will stay home and are very sad, but it's the virus robbing them of their first year in HS, not me. Only about 20% of their friends will school from home.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
What economy when we don't know the long term effects. They want to keep things roaring right now, but in 10-20 years from now the workforce may be compromised.
There are a lot of things allowed or for sale or common that we DO know are bad for you long term, but nothing is done about those either, so I'm not sure we can expect people to focus on possible long term effects from a disease that MAY have big consequences long term. The short term effects are bad enough and if those aren't making people careful or want to change their behaviour, unknown long term effects definitely will not either.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is, at certain points in life living without mental health is like walking through an inferno of razor-sharp stones.

Oh my fucking god. I just want the damned blue pill and forget this year and Covid all together.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking tragic and avoidable. Poor kid and family.

Our daughter has continued to have the option of staying fully remote but just in case our district decides to go full moron in the future my wife got the paperwork done for homeschooling. The laws in our state were actually so broad that she didn't even need it since I have a college degree and that can qualify a person on its own and no one actually checks who is doing the teaching.

I highly encourage all parents to do this as a backup because no kids should be in school anywhere for at least the next year.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was told by trump this didn't affect kids.

RIP.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
These hit me hard. Not like this kid could choose to not go to school. This country killed him

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You want to lose your mind?

Watch this report about how Missourians feel about Covid and their local doctors.

They would literally rather have themselves and their family die of covid than have people think they might be a democrat if they are seen wearing a mask

www.dailystarjournal.com

Ozarks public health workers feel 'hated' in Covid-19 spike

Covid-19 is on the rise in rural America. CNN's Elle Reeve visits Carter County, Missouri, to speak with public health officials who have become unlikely villains to the town's residents.

Absolute fucking sociopaths.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not lose sight of the MO Governor's comments on this.

Regarding the Ozarks story immediately above, more than a dozen public health directors in the state have resigned during the crisis. Their jobs are no longer safe with the death threats, people stalking them to get pics of them to post online, etc.