• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
My friend brought up something that I've completely forgotten.

When Megumi first came to the Kurabe's house, she hugged Juro and said "It's been 40 years..."

What the hell does that mean 0_o ? Is it just because it's 40 years from 2025 to 1985? If so that was a weird way to put it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck does no Japanese place here do yakisoba pan. I need it.

AgeOfZelda

Oct 27, 2017
This was an amazing story with great gameplay to boot! I highly recommend going over everything in chronological order, even if you understand everything: it's just really fun to see everything play out that way and see all the connections that much clearer.

Also, for those who want to understand the plot better, I recently found this video that went into the back story in more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89fAxW5e_A
It summarises all the important details from 2188 up to the start of the main timeline. The production values aren't exactly sky high and it glosses over some details I assume will be brought up when they're more relevant in later parts, but I think it's nice all the same.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This was an amazing story with great gameplay to boot! I highly recommend going over everything in chronological order, even if you understand everything: it's just really fun to see everything play out that way and see all the connections that much clearer.

Also, for those who want to understand the plot better, I recently found this video that went into the back story in more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89fAxW5e_A
It summarises all the important details from 2188 up to the start of the main timeline. The production values aren't exactly sky high and it glosses over some details I assume will be brought up when they're more relevant in later parts, but I think it's nice all the same.
That video is pretty great. Looking forward to the others in the series.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
So the new battle ward that opens up post-game. Does it have a set number of stages, or is it endless?

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
'And then they all fucked'

The End.

But jokes aside, amazing ending. But I doubt 13 people is enough to build a society with. They talk about bringing simulated people into the real world but they would need DNA for that. Maybe there is more human DNA stored in the facility? Then it would be no problem.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
'And then they all fucked'

The End.

I'll be honest, that was my exact thoughts as well.

And I'm perfectly happy with it.

But jokes aside, amazing ending. But I doubt 13 people is enough to build a society with. They talk about bringing simulated people into the real world but they would need DNA for that. Maybe there is more human DNA stored in the facility? Then it would be no problem.

They were talking about manipulating genetic information to do that.

Shinonome-2188 was a genetic engineer researching into that.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Stolen from Reddit. Basically the last few hours of the game:
knta2bmb9hs51.jpg

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
When I saw Renya requiring 80% from the rest of the cast, I thought to myself this motherfucker must have the secrets to the Universe.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
- In the 2064 battle, Okino piloted Sentinel 12, Izumi - 13, Shinonome - 14, Sekigahara - 15, Kisaragi AI - 16, Miura AI - 17, Tamao AI - 18, Hijiyama AI - 19. The first generation sentinels 1 through 11 were controlled remotely by Gouto.

- The 4 AI created from the previous loop are Kisaragi, Miura, Kurabe Tamao and Hijiyama. They are all loaded onto 3rd gen sentinels.

1. Was it ever mentioned what happened to Sentinel no. 18? Was it just destroyed?

2. If no. 10 and 11 were originally autopilot, what happened along the way that allowed Ogata and Sekigahara to acquire and pilot them? I'm guessing something to do with Okino?

3. So the 4th Gen Sentinels were created by Okino in secret from Ida/Morimura/Shikishima faction? And he did it.... Somewhere? (edit: wait, that doesn't make sense because Gouto ended up with a Gen4 as well)

Last edited:

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I loved this game so much , big shout out to EZA's review by Ben Moore for pushing me over the edge on grabbing it. 13 sentinels is the perfect example of hundreds of individual elements being solid on their own but mixing together just amazingly well. Just an insane effort to make this all work. Now I just have to replay ... 3 stages I think ? To get the final 2%. It's impressive and a bit sad the platinum trophy is 30% ish , 1/3 buyers did everything in this game but .... it makes me think it didn't sell super well :( anyway , I'm happy it exists.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone check this out. Someone who can read Japanese gleaned a ton of info from a recent Famitsu interview with Kamitani and shared it in English on Reddit. Some really interesting stuff in here.

Q. In the sentinel cockpits, the characters are depicted wearing glasses and their hair is styled. Is the interior of the cockpit also a part of the VR environment? Does Universal control keep things consistent?

A. It's the future so the AR technology is highly advanced. Or some reason like that.

but not advanced enough to depict clothing amirite

- Kamitani wanted to have all characters depicted having exited their pods at the end (like Juro and Yakushiji) but eventually gave up after being told that naked butts all lined up in row would have been pretty lame.

Why am I not surprised

Interesting tidbits in there, thanks!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
but not advanced enough to depict clothing amirite

I honestly think the real reason is something like from play testing they realize characters would be harder to recognize without their facial identity.

Otherwise think about it- The characters wouldn't retain their hair styles either, and at that point it might give away too much.

OP
OP
VZ_Blade

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool video of someone soloing the last stage on intense using Shinonome.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think the real reason is something like from play testing they realize characters would be harder to recognize without their facial identity.

Otherwise think about it- The characters wouldn't retain their hair styles either, and at that point it might give away too much.

I was more poking fun at the whole butt nekid thing, I know that you need visual indicators to retain character identity for the duration of the game and most of all, yes, protect the story revelation that comes later on, I'm fine with that.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Everyone check this out. Someone who can read Japanese gleaned a ton of info from a recent Famitsu interview with Kamitani and shared it in English on Reddit. Some really interesting stuff in here.

I hope this gets a director's cut for the PS5 and they are able to restore some of the cut content. Though going off another interview, George Kamitani worked himself to the bone getting the game finished. It was probably taxing to the rest of the (small) studio. Since he brought up GrimGrimoire, I'd love to see that get an enhanced port.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Just finished up and thoroughly enjoyed the game - however I'm left with one question about the epilogue. Was there any ever explicit mention of Shinonome & Sekigahara getting cured of the negative effects of DD-426? I know we don't see Sekigahara in the epilogue (they mention that he chose to not get back into the pod) but we see Shinonome in a scene with Gouto and she seems fully recovered? Frustrating that it might have been overlooked.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished up and thoroughly enjoyed the game - however I'm left with one question about the epilogue. Was there any ever explicit mention of Shinonome & Sekigahara getting cured of the negative effects of DD-426? I know we don't see Sekigahara in the epilogue (they mention that he chose to not get back into the pod) but we see Shinonome in a scene with Gouto and she seems fully recovered? Frustrating that it might have been overlooked.

She lost the memories. I think it's implied Ei was going to lost his memories too.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

There is no cure for DD-426, both Sekigahara and Shinonome had succumb to the full effects of the code and lost their memories.

The difference is that Sekigahara had some of it stored as a back-up with the help of Okino, but unlike Okino he's not using an AI to simulate his personality.

Shinonome lost all of her memories save for what she needed to pilot the Sentinel. She seems better now because she's no longer has crippling head pains and was able to move on with her life.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You know, I would love to draw up a massive Excel sheet to show the timeline of the 13 protagonists story arc throughout the main game. None of the previous loop flashback stuff, just what they're actually going through from prologue to Final Battle.

Something to show at exactly when each arc took place. Because for the longest time I thought they were all happening around the same time but a ton of characters had their adventures WAY before Juro and Megumi even started theirs.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I would love to draw up a massive Excel sheet to show the timeline of the 13 protagonists story arc throughout the main game. None of the previous loop flashback stuff, just what they're actually going through from prologue to Final Battle.

Something to show at exactly when each arc took place. Because for the longest time I thought they were all happening around the same time but a ton of characters had their adventures WAY before Juro and Megumi even started theirs.
Pretty sure the events list in analysis is in chronological order in the games timeline

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty sure the events list in analysis is in chronological order in the games timeline

It is, but visually it doesn't identify on the timeline where each character's arc is happening relative to the others. You'll have to manually scroll down the list.

I'm thinking of a big colour coded gantt chart type thing lol, where with one look you can see "Oh, Natsuno's adventure starts way earlier!"

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the deal with the Infinite Possibilities event scene? It's the last scene in the event viewer, so I assume it's the last scene in the timeline, but it doesn't make sense in context, and it ends abruptly.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So what's the deal with the Infinite Possibilities event scene? It's the last scene in the event viewer, so I assume it's the last scene in the timeline, but it doesn't make sense in context, and it ends abruptly.
Because there are so many probes that launched in 2188 there can be many ways this whole story can play out on different planets.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Project Ark involves sending out thousands of probes to colonize thousands of Earth-like planets in the Galaxy.

The last scene is showing another colony experiencing through the same thing.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So just beat the game, it was fucking amazing.

So essentially all the eras were a part of a virtual simulation right? There were hundreds of loops that were happening while the planet they were on were terraforming, and the loops kept getting reset because the deimos kept attacking. This happened because 2188 Shinonome put in a code because she was fed up with humanity right? Also what was the significance of the code that Ida told Shinonome to put into that one sentinel in one of her flashbacks? Wasn't that DD-426? What was the point of that...

Also can someone explain that Ida scene at the end?

In the epilogue they all jump back into pods after what appears to be 5 years because they just want to see all the AI they grew up with right?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So just beat the game, it was fucking amazing.

So essentially all the eras were a part of a virtual simulation right? There were hundreds of loops that were happening while the planet they were on were terraforming, and the loops kept getting reset because the deimos kept attacking. This happened because 2188 Shinonome put in a code because she was fed up with humanity right?

This is correct. Even when they were down to 10 survivors of all humanity, those people eventually still killed off each other.

Pretty depressing to think about. So Shinonome-2188 had enough of that shit. Doesn't help that it seem Ida-2188 is also a scumbag.

Also what was the significance of the code that Ida told Shinonome to put into that one sentinel in one of her flashbacks? Wasn't that DD-426? What was the point of that...

Ida had given up on this loop and wanted to start over again with Tomi/Miyuki, this time with her in a human body. He sabotaged the Sentinels to speed up the destruction of this world to get to the next loop.

Of course, he had no idea that this was the last chance they were ever going to get.

Also can someone explain that Ida scene at the end?

In an interview with George Kamitani, he said that after everything was over, " Kamitani says that after being scolded by Inaba, Ida finally repents, and that the restoration of the sectors is part of his penance. "

In the epilogue they all jump back into pods after what appears to be 5 years because they just want to see all the AI they grew up with right?

Yes, the interesting thing I think about this story is that the characters don't really differentiate between AI and humans. So to the characters, they are as real as any humans.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses Shy and Chaos2Frozen.

So in the ending the villain was....Shinonome technically? And Ida I guess. This makes me feel bad for Shinonome though....damn man. Was her feeling fed up with humanity a result of learning that 2188 Ida was in love with 2188 Kisaragi?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So in the ending the villain was....Shinonome technically? And Ida I guess. This makes me feel bad for Shinonome though....damn man. Was her feeling fed up with humanity a result of learning that 2188 Ida was in love with 2188 Kisaragi?

We don't know for sure what happened between Shinonome-2188 and Ida-2188, and I don't think Kisaragi-2188 had anything to do with it, but in the Q&A Kamitani had this to say

The fifth question asked for details on Ida's betrayal of Shinonome in 2188. Kamitani says that Ida is portrayed with three personalities in the game: As the adult Ida who will do anything to accomplish his goals, as the younger Amiguchi who seems like a flirt but is actually nice, and as the 2188 version of Ida who combines the worst aspects of the other two personalities, competent but a playboy, who can be cruel.

Kamitani says that at the end, with the survivors killing each other, Shinonome might have despaired and asked Ida to commit suicide alongside her, and that Ida would not have agreed to it. His last words to her were probably horrible ones, and Kamitani said that it is hard to imagine how she would have felt after that, left alone as the last surviving human.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, goddamit Ida. Can't imagine how Shinonome felt...her story was def one of the most depressing for me.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
In an interview with George Kamitani, he said that after everything was over, " Kamitani says that after being scolded by Inaba, Ida finally repents, and that the restoration of the sectors is part of his penance. "
The only part that confuses me about that scene is trying to understand when it is happening. Did the simulation just keep running without the 15 pod kids once they broke free of the loops and emerged onto their new planet? And then Ida (who was now just a leftover AI in the sim) brought all of the sectors back online again...? But like, was that essentially another reset/loop then? Or did he bring them all back online as destroyed cities?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The only part that confuses me about that scene is trying to understand when it is happening. Did the simulation just keep running without the 15 pod kids once they broke free of the loops and emerged onto their new planet? And then Ida (who was now just a leftover AI in the sim) brought all of the sectors back online again...? But like, was that essentially another reset/loop then? Or did he bring them all back online as destroyed cities?

The sectors were brought back online to just before the Kaiju invasion.

So the way I see it, the virtual world was completely offline in the 5 years.

My guess is the kids were able to bring up at least Sector 0 which houses the memories and personality of Ida, who in turn helps bring up the rest of the Sectors.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The sectors were brought back online to just before the Kaiju invasion.

So the way I see it, the virtual world was completely offline in the 5 years.

My guess is the kids were able to bring up at least Sector 0 which houses the memories and personality of Ida, who in turn helps bring up the rest of the Sectors.
Ah, okay. So that scene with Ida bringing the sectors back online was happening around five years later before they hopped back into the sim to revisit all of their old AI friends and family.

I wonder, though. Won't the kaiju invasion just happen again? It's still coded into the sim to happen either way, right? Or maybe not since it relied on their interlociters to send the commands to generate the Deimos in the first place.

Also, the facility that housed their pods and ran the simulation was on its last legs in terms of stability, so from where were they running it and re-accessing the sim five years later?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Ah, okay. So that scene with Ida bringing the sectors back online was happening around five years later before they hopped back into the sim to revisit all of their old AI friends and family.

That's my understanding of it as well.

I wonder, though. Won't the kaiju invasion just happen again? It's still coded into the sim to happen either way, right?

I imagine they probably would have made sure to fix the code before booting it back it. Should be easier now that they're doing it from the outside.

Also, the facility that housed their pods and ran the simulation was on its last legs in terms of stability, so from where were they running it and re-accessing the sim five years later?

All of this is probably why it took 5 years.

AgeOfZelda

Oct 27, 2017

It's no Excel sheet, but this person just uploaded the second part of the story breakdown if anyone's interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wkfmkAhI5g
I agree that it's interesting how even when people's stories take place compared to the others' is left to people to figure out. I really respect that. It adds another layer to the whole thing.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed in the latter half of my play through that on the right side of the analysis screen it has 5 lines representing the 5 sectors. I think. It was a nifty thing they added in. Overall I keep thinking about this game and it's story and I don't think it will leave my mind anytime soon.

May 24, 2019
Just finished. I'm wondering how the "Mission accomplished" (all normal destruction missions) trophy is much rarer than the "Journey's end" (final cutscene) one. Don't you have to do all the battles to get there?

Also kinda wish we didn't get the school epilogue because everyone marrying each other was real corny.
And humanity only being repopulated by Japanese people is some dodgy stuff. None of them were even mixed race were they?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished. I'm wondering how the "Mission accomplished" (all normal destruction missions) trophy is much rarer than the "Journey's end" (final cutscene) one. Don't you have to do all the battles to get there?

Also kinda wish we didn't get the school epilogue because everyone marrying each other was real corny.
And humanity only being repopulated by Japanese people is some dodgy stuff. None of them were even mixed race were they?
If I am reading the trophy description correctly, Mission Accomplished requires you complete all objectives, which would include the bonus objectives.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to say this earlier but I think love and romance are good motivations for like 16/17 year olds. Pretty realistic in that aspect. I think it's weird though because we see all the characters as adults so we view their motivation as juvenile because of that.