• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall the specifics for each character but broadly, They got themselves backed up by Universal Control. So when the sim is restarted and a new loop begins, they get instantiated as an NPC with the memories of the previous loop. This is why at the end of the game they back up everyone and can later return to the sim to meet.
that's what I thought, but I guess their AI/simulation can continue to age?

lemonade

May 8, 2018
that's what I thought, but I guess their AI/simulation can continue to age?

Everyone ages up in the simulation. Just the 15 characters have actual body in the real world.

After you beat the game, all the characters get their own event tab (2 loops ago, 1 loop ago, 2188 etc.). You can use that to see how each character progressed.

For example, Juro Izumi (426) is 40+ years old by the end of the game because he first backed up 2 loops ago and then updated his backup 1 loop ago before the world reset.

The teacher Morimura is only 32, the same age as Ida because she failed to backup 1 loop ago and that version of her died to the kaiju attack. The Morimura in the current loop still only has the memory from the first backup (2 loops ago). Hence she and Ida being 32 years old.

For anyone who finished the game but still has questions, here is a 10 hour (lol) breakdown of the whole story that also covers some dev interview.

It's timestamped into sections so you can just check out stuff you wanna know:
(ignore the first section, it's not related to the game.)

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone ages up in the simulation. Just the 15 characters have actual body in the real world.

After you beat the game, all the characters get their own event tab (2 loops ago, 1 loop ago, 2188 etc.). You can use that to see how each character progressed.

For example, Juro Izumi (426) is 40+ years old by the end of the game because he first backed up 2 loops ago and then updated his backup 1 loop ago before the world reset.

The teacher Morimura is only 32, the same age as Ida because she failed to backup 1 loop ago and that version of her died to the kaiju attack. The Morimura in the current loop still only has the memory from the first backup (2 loops ago). Hence she and Ida being 32 years old.

For anyone who finished the game but still has questions, here is a 10 hour (lol) breakdown of the whole story that also covers some dev interview.

Thank you sooooo much. Finally clicked.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
While on the topic of the soundtrack, definite Macross vibes from when
Miyuki sang Seaside Vacation during the battle to let everyone know she was still in range, which was really great.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game, even though I thought it went on way to long I kinda miss the characters now lol.

Really good ending and I don't think the game gets enough credit for some of its music tracks. The final battle had some banger playing in the background and I'll have to look it up later.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 1st hour was boring and the combat sucks. Not a great start but I'm still optimistic. VNs should have a really good start in my opinion. I find that very important.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
I'm about 20% through the story section. I'm so confused and having trouble remember all the characters and how they interact with one another. Enjoying it though. Does it eventually click?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I'm about 20% through the story section. I'm so confused and having trouble remember all the characters and how they interact with one another. Enjoying it though. Does it eventually click?
Yes, as you get further in the story things start to come together. There is also the encyclopedia section that along with having profiles and key terms, does contain a time line section. I found it super helpful to review when getting further along.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

You can pretty much instantly replay previous Rememberances at any time, there's even a fast forward feature to quickly access specific segments.

That's one aspect I really loved about the experience. Getting a revelation over here that makes me frantically(in a good way) bounce around connecting dots and putting pieces together.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
This game is way too long and just drags and it just isn't that great either?

It could have done with being about 20-15 hours shorter.
I have no idea how much I have left but after 50 hours I've done 75% rememberance and about 70% battles.
I thought I finished the battles but nope a third area has now appeared with another 10 battles of nonsense blips and lights.

The story is unique but a bit like..."omg I can't believe that" for the sake of it but none of it is particularly interesting, it's just original I'll give it that.

[/SPOILER]
But then what does it matter anyway if you get confused most of the characters have multiple personalities and different characters they are just robots or play a different character from another timeline anyway it just gets tiring to figure out so who knows. Who knows?!

The names don't stick either for most characters I can only remember 5 names 50 hours later. Same with the bits walking around it's just really repetitive doing the same stuff every chapter. Then you have stupid stuff like not knowing where to go and sometimes it repeats the whole bit again until you figure it out. The battles aren't great either they're just padding and get in the way. The visual representation of them really puts me off.

I think the main problem I have with it is that it's just...boring? Like so boring at times I struggle and it sends me to sleep. No other way to explain it really.

It's weird because I loved Zero Escape and am used to big plot reveals and dumps and over dramatic stuff but this is just a mess. I don't want to go on the internet to figure it all out afterwards. I shouldn't have to do that

Hope it ends soon. It's just too long and overstayed it's welcome about 29 hours ago. I've been playing it since September in short bursts as I get that bored by it each time I can't play more than half hour and it's that frickin long and never seems to end and just goes on and on and on its just dragging nowwith half the lines of just repeats of questions inside people's head questioning what they've been told. A repeat of what you've just heard basically previously in the game or scene. Padding.

At least the voice acting and art style is nice.

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
just replaying the analysis, and got to the part where BJ finds Sentinel 19 in 1945, and says it used to be piloted by a friend who is now dead? Who is the dead friend?

lemonade

May 8, 2018
just replaying the analysis, and got to the part where BJ finds Sentinel 19 in 1945, and says it used to be piloted by a friend who is now dead? Who is the dead friend?

It's previous loop Hijiyama. The content was cut but Kamitani talked about it in an interview:

"The Hijiyama AI was going to have been unstable, with parts of its personality and memory missing, and would have at the end asked Okino to delete him and protect Miura, and this last wish would be what lead to Miura using sentinel 19 in this loop."

Highly recommend checking out the interview since there are more lore discussion.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
It's previous loop Hijiyama. The content was cut but Kamitani talked about it in an interview:

"The Hijiyama AI was going to have been unstable, with parts of its personality and memory missing, and would have at the end asked Okino to delete him and protect Miura, and this last wish would be what lead to Miura using sentinel 19 in this loop."

Highly recommend checking out the interview since there are more lore discussion.
Ohhhhhh wow, had no idea!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
This game is way too long and just drags and it just isn't that great either?

It could have done with being about 20-15 hours shorter.
I have no idea how much I have left but after 50 hours I've done 75% rememberance and about 70% battles.
I thought I finished the battles but nope a third area has now appeared with another 10 battles of nonsense blips and lights.

The story is unique but a bit like..."omg I can't believe that" for the sake of it but none of it is particularly interesting, it's just original I'll give it that.

[/SPOILER]
But then what does it matter anyway if you get confused most of the characters have multiple personalities and different characters they are just robots or play a different character from another timeline anyway it just gets tiring to figure out so who knows. Who knows?!

The names don't stick either for most characters I can only remember 5 names 50 hours later. Same with the bits walking around it's just really repetitive doing the same stuff every chapter. Then you have stupid stuff like not knowing where to go and sometimes it repeats the whole bit again until you figure it out. The battles aren't great either they're just padding and get in the way. The visual representation of them really puts me off.

I think the main problem I have with it is that it's just...boring? Like so boring at times I struggle and it sends me to sleep. No other way to explain it really.

It's weird because I loved Zero Escape and am used to big plot reveals and dumps and over dramatic stuff but this is just a mess. I don't want to go on the internet to figure it all out afterwards. I shouldn't have to do that

Hope it ends soon. It's just too long and overstayed it's welcome about 29 hours ago. I've been playing it since September in short bursts as I get that bored by it each time I can't play more than half hour and it's that frickin long and never seems to end and just goes on and on and on its just dragging nowwith half the lines of just repeats of questions inside people's head questioning what they've been told. A repeat of what you've just heard basically previously in the game or scene. Padding.

At least the voice acting and art style is nice.
Do you mean literally 50 hours? Because I could believe that at that point it could feel overlong. It took me 35 hours total, which seems to be the average according to HowLongToBeat.

I never felt the need to go online to look stuff up, the game does a really good job at explaining stuff within the dialogue, and if that's not enough the in-game wikia is really well done.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
And I had no more problems remembering names than any other game where the names are mostly Japanese ones, but that's me (repetition tends to help with names in general for me, and there's plenty of that for the characters here).

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, just bought this. Know pretty much nothing about it but I've heard almost nothing but praise for it. But is there some tips or things that I should know before starting it?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Can anyone explain to me one particular part I don't seem to quite understand

REAL SPOILER DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME
Why specifically are these the only clones? If all of humanity died, were these just the last people they had data for when it came to cloning? I went through the rest of the game and the REAL LIFE aspect is the only thing I'm a bit unsure of now.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why specifically are these the only clones? If all of humanity died, were these just the last people they had data for when it came to cloning? I went through the rest of the game and the REAL LIFE aspect is the only thing I'm a bit unsure of now.

I believe in the final sections they mention they plan to use DNA to create a bunch more people. I'm not sure they ever state that ONLY those last people got direct clones. But it's pretty vague I believe.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is so good.

I've played around 21-22 hours of it and I'm still very much hooked on the story. With each revelation, I end-up with even more questions which pushes me to play more of the game. Hopefully the answers are there and satisfying haha

Thus far, Shu and Natsuno are my favorite characters, with a special shout out to Tomi.

P.S: I remember hearing people say that the combat isn't good, but I've been having a lot of fun in that section as well. Though I'm only at Area 2 and I've been investing into and spamming Sentry guns, which kinda breaks the game as they can be so powerful lol

lemonade

May 8, 2018

Because they were the only 15 left in 2188 on that space colony. They can probably research into bringing AI to the real world as mentioned in the epilogue. But as far as DNA clone data, they only have the 15.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8h in and I'm pretty close to calling it honestly. The game builts up no tension at all. This is nothing like Virtue's Last Reward, which seems to be the closest match in terms of game structure. Absolutely none of the mysteries presented so far are intriguing.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

The plan was always to have more people but they are the first but they had guarantee the project would even work as intended.
They focused on the ones alive.

So there are multiple iterations of those clones on multiple planets through the galaxy, and the ones that make it out of the simulation will be able to bring other clones to life.

And in the case of the clones we follow, they will also try to create artificial humans dna based off the AI counterparts from the simulation. Which is probably gonna be a disaster and would make a fun story to see unfold :p .

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
So I finished this game a while back and I'm amazed, still, floored even. What a brilliant, brilliant game. Hands down the best game I've played in over two years. Maybe three.

There's so much to this plot, and these characters, that speaks to me in so many ways. I mean .. damn! I will try not to resort into a superlative machine, but let's just say that I'm so glad that I managed to give this a shot and pull through to the very end.

The brilliance of the non-linear storytelling just never ceased to amaze me. I love how you can go into one character, experience this little slice-of-life vignette, and sometimes you encounter some kind of grand mystery, and then you dive into another character in a completely different setting and get even more questions and revelations, but then dive into character #3, and you start getting all these answers that blows your mind, and go back to the first character and … it never ends.

The battle system was amazing and highly addictive in the long run, the final battle was so hype! I actually really appreciate how diced up the gameplay and story is, it allows the player to dictate their own flow, I loved going into the story and play until I was itching for some combat, go progress a little bit here and there, and then return.

It's such a shame that we will most likely never see anything like this ever again.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished this game a while back and I'm amazed, still, floored even. What a brilliant, brilliant game. Hands down the best game I've played in over two years. Maybe three.

There's so much to this plot, and these characters, that speaks to me in so many ways. I mean .. damn! I will try not to resort into a superlative machine, but let's just say that I'm so glad that I managed to give this a shot and pull through to the very end.

The brilliance of the non-linear storytelling just never ceased to amaze me. I love how you can go into one character, experience this little slice-of-life vignette, and sometimes you encounter some kind of grand mystery, and then you dive into another character in a completely different setting and get even more questions and revelations, but then dive into character #3, and you start getting all these answers that blows your mind, and go back to the first character and … it never ends.

The battle system was amazing and highly addictive in the long run, the final battle was so hype! I actually really appreciate how diced up the gameplay and story is, it allows the player to dictate their own flow, I loved going into the story and play until I was itching for some combat, go progress a little bit here and there, and then return.

It's such a shame that we will most likely never see anything like this ever again.
Amen. This game is so special that I actually purchased a copy and sent it to a random person here on the forum. I just wanted one more person to play this game that badly. I take 13 Sentinels evangelism seriously. 😁

Oct 25, 2017
Alright the remix album is out and it's incredible. INCREDIBLE. Will never leave my phone.

Don't look it up if you haven't completed or are deep in the game as the cover art is big spoils if you look closely.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to those samples from the remix album helped me figure out which other battle song I had taken a liking to while playing area three.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Waaaaahhhh! Remix album?!

The OST is so damn good. I must've listened to Brat Overflow alone like hundreds of times. The made-up language gives me Automata vibes, which is a great thing.

ScOULaris That's super ultra kind of you! 13 Sentinels evangelism is the best.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Some of these remixes are golden. I'm not sold on everything, but that's not a bad thing. Some of my favorite albums took time to digest and this seems like it will be something similar. I'm preferring a lot of the quieter or more instrumentally diverse takes, but I'm so happy to have this. (ISOLUECINE) -Branched- is my favorite so far, but I still have about 3 songs to get through.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these remixes are golden. I'm not sold on everything, but that's not a bad thing. Some of my favorite albums took time to digest and this seems like it will be something similar. I'm preferring a lot of the quieter or more instrumentally diverse takes, but I'm so happy to have this. (ISOLUECINE) -Branched- is my favorite so far, but I still have about 3 songs to get through.
Yeah this album is fire overall. Basiscape has such a unique sound to everything that they do.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed the game and I guess I would say it was probably worth my time but overally, I struggled so much with the amount of information pouring into me, I failed to follow the story to the extent required to thoroughly enjoy it. I have a hard time believing anybody could follow 13 stories simultaneously? I found the story quite clever overall and it resolved well for what it's worth.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Okay I listened to the remix album now and I can barely contain myself from screaming.

It's so good, it's unbelievable. Just from the first note to the last, I had chills down my spine.

This. Game. <3

Pixel_Stream

Oct 28, 2017
the remix album might be even better than the in -game OST i think(The game OST was supreme in itself)

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's illegal for this remix album to slap this fucking hard.

Well thank God I'm jobless for the next few weeks so I can dig in!

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the Final Battle now, how long is the ending approx.? Asking because I work until midnight and would like to finish after, but not if the ending stretch goes on for an hour or longer.

I have overall mixed feelings about the game, I like the characters and story (though I'm not sure I understand everything), but feel it kind of went on a good 5 - 10 hours too long. It's still the most memorable game of last year to me.
Currently looking up where I can get some Yakisoba Pan in my country (doesn't seem like it, but I want to try it!)

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Huge YAY for the game breaking 6th spot in the Resetera GOTY! So happy to see it. :D

I'm at the Final Battle now, how long is the ending approx.? Asking because I work until midnight and would like to finish after, but not if the ending stretch goes on for an hour or longer.

It's way shorter than that.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Unsure if to get this game. Can someone tell me some comparators I.e. if one generally likes X or dislikes Y game or game style or game aspect, then they would like/dislike this game.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Unsure if to get this game. Can someone tell me some comparators I.e. if one generally likes X or dislikes Y game or game style or game aspect, then they would like/dislike this game.
It's basically a VN combined with a simple strategy game. Think Ace attorney/Danganronpa combined with a simpler real-time version of final fantasy tactics or fire emblem. real-time super robot wars would be an even more apt comparison but most people haven't played that.
I think the game becomes greater than the sum of its parts which is always good for games like this.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Finally dived into this game the last few nights since my PC is broken and I needed something to keep me occupied on my PS5. Honestly the game is a good single player "one more round" game- whether in the story or the battle modes.

I enjoy how quick the battles are and have had no issues getting S rank with all the bonuses, which in turn unlocks more mystery points. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up quite as much on the story side as I've hit a hard block on doing any new combat chapters until I complete 30% of the story (at 25% now).

The dub is pretty excellent, although I always think of Ichiban from Yakuza: Like a Dragon when I hear a certain character in this game.