• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I am about 16 hours into the game and I feel like maybe I'm starting to see what happened here. Its crazy because the story is so disjointed and ridiculous that it shouldn't work....but for some reason it does.

Even though I'm constantly confused my brain is putting the pieces together slowly but surely.

Pretty incredible writing chops to pull that off.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
So I am about 16 hours into the game and I feel like maybe I'm starting to see what happened here. Its crazy because the story is so disjointed and ridiculous that it shouldn't work....but for some reason it does.

Even though I'm constantly confused my brain is putting the pieces together slowly but surely.

Pretty incredible writing chops to pull that off.

It only gets more clear as it goes, even if they keep ramping the layers of complexity lol.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering, did anyone get the comic anthology or other books related to the game that were released in Japan? I also want to try and get either the physical soundtrack or the remix soundtrack coming out soon.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Really enjoying this so far, about 12 hours in. 50% of the way through the battle stuff, trying to do more story so I catch that up. The sentry guns are the best!

Morimura makes me think of the double cheeked up on a Thursday video, lol.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today. Enjoyed the game, but it confirmed that Visual Novels (even with the SRPG stuff in this one) just aren't my thing. I was compelled enough to want to finish the game, but definitely felt myself having to push through at times.

Still, really ambitious story told in a unique way. Also top notch voice cast. Don't think this game would've hit as well without the cast breathing life into the characters.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the Prologue so I gotta ask. I'm Megumi. Is it this style of game all the way through or do they switch things up by giving you more room to breathe and more things to do?

Just wondering because I know I haven't even done ANYTHING in this game yet and I wonder how much time I have left. I've also never played this visual novel style game before so that in itself interests me. Regardless of how things happen the fact it's my first one is making a great impression.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I'm in the Prologue so I gotta ask. I'm Megumi. Is it this style of game all the way through or do they switch things up by giving you more room to breathe and more things to do?

Just wondering because I know I haven't even done ANYTHING in this game yet and I wonder how much time I have left. I've also never played this visual novel style game before so that in itself interests me. Regardless of how things happen the fact it's my first one is making a great impression.

The combat is the main break, At times you might have to get to X point in the combat waves to move forward. After the prologue you are free to follow everyone's story in whatever order. The gameplay loop is the same, talk with people, find clues, use clues to move forward. The amount of confusion is inversely proportional to how far you are in the game. Some of the stories are widely different in tone so you can follow them as a "break" from the others. Story is about 30hrs long, most of the the v.novel part.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The combat is the main break, At times you might have to get to X point in the combat waves to move forward. After the prologue you are free to follow everyone's story in whatever order. The gameplay loop is the same, talk with people, find clues, use clues to move forward. The amount of confusion is inversely proportional to how far you are in the game. Some of the stories are widely different in tone so you can follow them as a "break" from the others. Story is about 30hrs long, most of the the v.novel part.
Ohhhh ok dope. That's what I expected. Sounds like fun.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I think I need some help here. Unless I missed something really important, I think my game is permanently roadblocked/bugged.

I'm currently making my way through Ryoko Shinonome's story. I'm trying to complete her "Sealed Memories" branch and no matter what I do, Takamiya never shows up in the cafeteria.

Any help?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I think I need some help here. Unless I missed something really important, I think my game is permanently roadblocked/bugged.

I'm currently making my way through Ryoko Shinonome's story. I'm trying to complete her "Sealed Memories" branch and no matter what I do, Takamiya never shows up in the cafeteria.

Any help?

I looked up a walk-through online:
  1. Open your TC and think about the new keywords.
  2. Like before, use the Pills and Gate keywords on Morimura then exit the nurse's office.
  3. In the hallway, go to the right and talk to Kisaragi. Use the Run Away keyword on her.
  4. Once Kisaragi tells you to ditch Gouto, head to the left and choose to go to the Cafeteria.
  5. Go down the staircase and talk to Amiguchi along the way. Open your TC then consider the Mr. Ida keyword then drink a pill. Exit to the left to the cafeteria.
  6. Head to the right and talk to Takamiya several times. Drink the last pill then choose to recall what happened after the science room shift.

Did you do all those things in the spoiler? I never had an issue with Ryoko's story. I didn't use that walkthrough either; I just looked it up because it's been a month since I completed the game.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I looked up a walk-through online:
  1. Open your TC and think about the new keywords.
  2. Like before, use the Pills and Gate keywords on Morimura then exit the nurse's office.
  3. In the hallway, go to the right and talk to Kisaragi. Use the Run Away keyword on her.
  4. Once Kisaragi tells you to ditch Gouto, head to the left and choose to go to the Cafeteria.
  5. Go down the staircase and talk to Amiguchi along the way. Open your TC then consider the Mr. Ida keyword then drink a pill. Exit to the left to the cafeteria.
  6. Head to the right and talk to Takamiya several times. Drink the last pill then choose to recall what happened after the science room shift.

I looked up the same guide and tried it. No dice. Cafeteria is still empty.

I thought maybe it's a route I'm not supposed to go yet, but I'm missing keywords for the other paths for that character.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I looked up the same guide and tried it. No dice. Cafeteria is still empty.

I thought maybe it's a route I'm not supposed to go yet, but I'm missing keywords for the other paths for that character.

That sounds really weird. Here's a youtube video of that story branch. Watch only the first 2:45 minutes of it, as at the 2:45 minute mark it gets to the point you were unable to reach.

If you don't recognize anything going on in the first few moments of the video so watching immediately. Are you sure you are at 87% with that character? You shouldn't be missing key words. You're only locked out of progression when you need to do other characters' events or need to reach a certain battle wave.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds really weird. Here's a youtube video of that story branch. Watch only the first 2:45 minutes of it, as at the 2:45 minute mark it gets to the point you were unable to reach.

If you don't recognize anything going on in the first few moments of the video so watching immediately. Are you sure you are at 87% with that character? You shouldn't be missing key words. You're only locked out of progression when you need to do other characters' events or need to reach a certain battle wave.

87%? I'm only at 62% with the character.

Ah, it appears I managed to completely skip a different path on this character. Not sure how that happened. I have never been able to do that with a character before.

Crisis averted.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
87%? I'm only at 62% with the character.

Ah, it appears I managed to completely skip a different path on this character. Not sure how that happened. I have never been able to do that with a character before.

Crisis averted.

The title of the branch in your original post is the 87% mark. I guess that explains why you didn't have those keywords.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The title of the branch in your original post is the 87% mark. I guess that explains why you didn't have those keywords.

The weird thing is I had all the keywords for that 87% branch. Turns out I had missed keywords for a previous branch though. This character has the most confusing branching paths.

Oh well, onward!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not pleased with just how many RTS battles I have to play through, even if they are quite simple, but thoroughly invested in seeing where the story is going.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Finally beat it, and while the ending was earnest it felt like the story became too convoluted with who-was-who. Most of the good twists and narrative hooks tended to happen 30-50% through most arcs. A few plot points at the end didn't seem to organically fit into the existing narrative.

I also kind of wished most of the Destruction missions had more story attached, as they just feel like a giant span of busywork, regardless of how fun they were.

Anyway, as someone who isn't the biggest fan of VN's, this is definitely the hybrid middleground that they need to be in order to really keep my attention. Glad that the platinum was very easy to get as well.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there
20 battle or more? I kinda hate this portion of the game and I'm hoping its just 20 lol

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this game has over stayed its welcome for me.

I'm about 25 hours in, completed like 6 characters now, and I just feel like the game is telling me the same information over and over and over and over and over and over and over....you see my point? The last few chapters are just so tedious at this point, and I just unlocked 10 more battles which I might just turn down to the casual setting because I find them so boring as it is.

This game was fantastic but it suffers from the "More is Better" problem, they should have cut the length by a third.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Yeah this game has over stayed its welcome for me.

I'm about 25 hours in, completed like 6 characters now, and I just feel like the game is telling me the same information over and over and over and over and over and over and over....you see my point? The last few chapters are just so tedious at this point, and I just unlocked 10 more battles which I might just turn down to the casual setting because I find them so boring as it is.

This game was fantastic but it suffers from the "More is Better" problem, they should have cut the length by a third.

But you haven't seen the best parts.... probably. But yes I think they could have told a similar story with a third less.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat it after 42 hours. Oh my god, what a fucking game and story. Easy 10/10. Any place have a good write up to sum up the events/story? I still don't know what the fuck is a "loop".

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
No, no, no, no, noooooooooooo, I just unlocked Ryoko's story

and in the first scene I'm finding myself yelling no at the damn screen. Dammit. I don't even know her well and this has already gotten me upset. lmao

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Finally beat it after 42 hours. Oh my god, what a fucking game and story. Easy 10/10. Any place have a good write up to sum up the events/story? I still don't know what the fuck is a "loop".

A loop is in the context of the joint matrix simulation that their minds are plugged into. Their memories are wiped out and reset as a result of the dumb game logic that keep running the kaiju attacks. The computer apparently is able to backup stuff like the AI and past memories of the previous loops, I.E Okino, Sensei, and so forth.

Apparently they are in the final loop where the computer will not restart the simulation after. I don't recall if this meant that they would still wake up (bit they didn't lose the AII families) or would simply never wake up, I think it was the latter.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing her bandaged up like that up close, the part with her getting feelings early, yeeeaaaaahhhhhh I know this is gonna be bad. After that last scene with her and Ryoko and her crying damn. Just now I found out that Ida died and Ei was 426 apparently so while I don't know exactly what's going on this story is really going places. I'm heavily impressed lol.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Seeing her bandaged up like that up close, the part with her getting feelings early, yeeeaaaaahhhhhh I know this is gonna be bad. After that last scene with her and Ryoko and her crying damn. Just now I found out that Ida died and Ei was 426 apparently so while I don't know exactly what's going on this story is really places. I'm heavily impressed lol.

You absolutely have NO idea lol.

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017
A loop is in the context of the joint matrix simulation that their minds are plugged into. Their memories are wiped out and reset as a result of the dumb game logic that keep running the kaiju attacks. The computer apparently is able to backup stuff like the AI and past memories of the previous loops, I.E Okino, Sensei, and so forth.

Apparently they are in the final loop where the computer will not restart the simulation after. I don't recall if this meant that they would still wake up (bit they didn't lose the AII families) or would simply never wake up, I think it was the latter.

Their minds don't get erased. The nanomachines break down their bodies and new clones are put in place to be gestated, or their bodies were rebuilt (dark, either way). Nurse Morimura mentioned that the "stability" of the facility was under strain, and that Sector 0 would be reset (or deleted, can't remember). Of course "stability" could also mean diminishing physical resources (feeding and cleaning these kids must cost something) as well as the actual physical stability of the facility itself, since it's been operating for about 5000 years at the start of the game.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely have NO idea lol.
This game just got me right now with Ryoko's story lmao. Alright, they get the W.

When I saw the pills option I thought "alright, so these are obviously here to block her memory so I won't take them" and things were going well until that cafeteria scene where she said her head was hurting and things got dark. I tried to keep walking to avoid it, even not take it but then she passed out and now I'm back here.

I really thought not taking them would be beneficial but they said "nah, you do it because we know you wanna not take them lol."

They got me lmao.

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017
With how much crap she got put through, they better had given her thos double sentry guns. Only my girl Tamao got it dirtier from Vanillaware lol

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly. The in-game Analysis section is the best place to go. It's pretty enlightening reading through the Mystery Files after completing the game and then playing through scenes in the Event Viewer with newfound clarity.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it, 50% off is too good to pass. I was planning to wait because too many games to play buuuut this is looking to good to pass on so will start tonight.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Question, you don't have to get too specific since I'm not far but I'm wondering. With the destruction battles, I've done like 5 of them, just faced a boss and now I see there's a few left at where I'm at. Are there different "levels" to these things? By that I mean are there multiple sections? I'm just wondering how much of this I'm going to have to do.

I'm asking because I'm trying to find a way to balance the destruction and the story parts. I'm not sure if they'll eventually merge into one or if they'll forever stay separate or what.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Question, you don't have to get too specific since I'm not far but I'm wondering. With the destruction battles, I've done like 5 of them, just faced a boss and now I see there's a few left at where I'm at. Are there different "levels" to these things? By that I mean are there multiple sections? I'm just wondering how much of this I'm going to have to do.

I'm asking because I'm trying to find a way to balance the destruction and the story parts. I'm not sure if they'll eventually merge into one or if they'll forever stay separate or what.
There are more battles than what you currently see. The destruction and story parts both have locks on them that require you to switch between the two at certain points.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
There are more battles than what you currently see. The destruction and story parts both have locks on them that require you to switch between the two at certain points.
Dope that's what I was hoping to hear! Initially I wasn't feeling the battles much (after only doing 2) but once I started to customize more, mess around with it yeah they're mad fun.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen mixed reactions towards the Destruction battles, but I love them. The style and visual presentation are phenomenal and they do a wonderful job of conveying the massive scale of the conflict - lots of worthwhile story & character bits sprinkled in too. Plus it feels good when your favorite characters grab MVP.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps someone can help me understand something,
if every 16 years the Deimos happen and wipe out the world, how come there are versions of the kids that are older and clearly 30s+? Like nurse Morimura, Izumi 426, Ida. So confused

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I did and still don't get it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't recall the specifics for each character but broadly, They got themselves backed up by Universal Control. So when the sim is restarted and a new loop begins, they get instantiated as an NPC with the memories of the previous loop. This is why at the end of the game they back up everyone and can later return to the sim to meet.