• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Loving this game. Im not usually a fan of how this game handles gameplay, but im enjoying it surprisingly lol Nenji is my fav character for sure

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
30 hours in, coming close to finale now. I have a question about endings and platinum. Are there multiple endings and missable trophies? Should I make some backup/separate saves?

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
still working on steins gate but figured I would ask for 13 sentinels Sub or Dub ?

I mostly prefer sub Unless there is a lot of things untranslated making me go dub (persona 5)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
still working on steins gate but figured I would ask for 13 sentinels Sub or Dub ?

I mostly prefer sub Unless there is a lot of things untranslated making me go dub (persona 5)

I only play subs and everyone sounds great. But some of the lines in Japanese aren't 1:1 with the English script. Some references to real life authors and sci fi works mentioned by one character include the full name of the work in one language but not the other, for example. It's a very minor thing, but as someone who understands Japanese it caught me by surprise.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I only play subs and everyone sounds great. But some of the lines in Japanese aren't 1:1 with the English script. Some references to real life authors and sci fi works mentioned by one character include the full name of the work in one language but not the other, for example. It's a very minor thing, but as someone who understands Japanese it caught me by surprise.

There are mistranslations and mischaracterization as well in the english version.

Not a lot of course, it's a huge script. But couple times I had to switch to JP to double check and I'm glad I did.

But yeah pick whichever you prefer, you can switch without restarting the game so it's cool. And you can replay any line of dialogue by pressing touch pad.

Both versions are solid.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if some adventurous somebody could figure out a way to play through this game and get the story told in the most straightforward way. Like, I enjoy piecing it together as I go, but I sometimes find it frustrating when I get a piece of information in one story that would have helped me better understand another bit in another story, and I realize I could have played them in a way that would've made it all make more sense overall. So create some kind of walkthrough that says "play this then that," factoring in all the story locks and such. Kinda like what people do with the Persona games in order to max out social links.

Just a random thought I had. Mostly just curious if the devs designed the game for max confusion to force you to piece it together on your own, or if they also made it so it's possible to get the story told in a way that makes more linear sense, if you know what to play when.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Just bought the game on sale. Is the Eng dub good (on par with games like Persona 5) or is the JP dub preferable?

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game on sale. Is the Eng dub good (on par with games like Persona 5) or is the JP dub preferable?
Either. The English voice cast is excellent:

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Either. The English voice cast is excellent:

Well, I'm sold. Thanks!

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Just finished it, damn what a game. Makes me wonder why Vanillaware was doing fantasy instead of sci-fi all this time.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Loving the story, im constantly amazed at how new mysteries are brought in and how I keep getting surprised when I thought I knew where things were going. Abt 50% done with the story and I honestly wish I was only 10% done haha

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
After blind-buying this when it was $30, I was struggling through the prologues and regretting my purchase. I couldn't distinguish between the endless amount of characters being thrown at me at once, the gameplay seemed terribly boring, and the story didn't seem anywhere near as interesting as reviews had made it out to be. Then, the instant the prologues ended and the three-pronged structure of the game became clear, it clicked for me right away, and since then I've been obsessed. I've never had a quicker conversion from being disappointed and wondering whether I could still get a refund for the game to being totally won over and knowing that I'm going to get the Platinum trophy for it.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
...I've been obsessed. I've never had a quicker conversion from being disappointed and wondering whether I could still get a refund for the game to being totally won over and knowing that I'm going to get the Platinum trophy for it.
giphy.gif

wishing there was an anime variant to this : D

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Glad to see more positive impressions/reviews from respected/well known game related influencers.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped up the game last night, and while I enjoyed my time with it I didn't get the same impact as some other folk here. Perhaps it was the order I tackled the routes—but with how long the game is I was often able to grasp the main twists a good while before they were revealed. A lot of memories had the characters playing catch up with those plot points, so the middle lull of the narrative really dragged for me.

13 Sentinels is worth checking out overall, but I wish the game was shorter. I'm certain a ~15 hour experience (dropping/combining some routes) would have made a tighter and more engaging narrative for me.

I need a damn flow chart with character names and photos above my TV while playing this game.

The art pamphlet for the game was a handy reference guide for the early hours.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I will say in terms of story telling and character development, I don't think the strategy portions does a good job at either. The gameplay itself is fine. But because everything is represented by simple icons, you don't a sense of scale for the Sentinels or the Kaiju and it's difficult to identify the pilots with their respective sentinel. In my most mecha fiction, the mech is unique to each character and they really become parts of the characters identity. I don't get that same feeling here. The only way I remember which type each character pilots is because of their spot in the deployment menu. In adventure mode, you don't set to see the sentinels too often so the strategy portion is really the only chance to interact with them.

It's a minor nitpick and I don't understand this game probably didn't have a the biggest budget to go all out. But I just there was some way they could have presented the sentinels and kaijus more within the strategy portions.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I will say in terms of story telling and character development, I don't think the strategy portions does a good job at either. The gameplay itself is fine. But because everything is represented by simple icons, you don't a sense of scale for the Sentinels or the Kaiju and it's difficult to identify the pilots with their respective sentinel. In my most mecha fiction, the mech is unique to each character and they really become parts of the characters identity. I don't get that same feeling here. The only way I remember which type each character pilots is because of their spot in the deployment menu. In adventure mode, you don't set to see the sentinels too often so the strategy portion is really the only chance to interact with them.

It's a minor nitpick and I don't understand this game probably didn't have a the biggest budget to go all out. But I just there was some way they could have presented the sentinels and kaijus more within the strategy portions.

Hard disagree that has anything to do with budget and not deliberate choice.

They even animated all the attacks but you only see them in menus. They just didn't want to clutter the actual gameplay.

Not saying you have to like it whatsoever, but just saying all the ressources that went into animating the sentinels and high res renders of kaijus etc.. could have been used to do what you wanted for instance. They just didn't want that.

Maybe they actually were not interested in telling a mecha story. And to be fair it's very secondary in the overall scope of the story. So I think they wanted the gameplay to not rely on the mecha tropes you see in other games.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I finally gave this a try and after getting it on sale 2 weeks ago and I can already tell I am going to enjoy this with the first 10 minutes I played. I really intended to not play this game until I finished Person 5 Royal but gaah I don't know. I am in October of that game and I am burned out coming in on 100 hours and the game doesn't seem anywhere done yet, really think about dropping P5R and just playing this instead.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Well - i picked this up on the PSN holiday sale for $30 and just got around to playing through the prologue.

This game is absolutely beautiful. I love the art style and everything is drawn with care and tons of detail. The audio is really nice too. I'm really digging this game and looking forward to figuring out what the hell is going on.

It doesn't matter what order you start doing the remembrance sections in right? Like i won't miss out on anything by doing things in a certain order will I?

How do you choose when to do the 'Destruction' missions? Do you just do them as you feel like?

I'm going in completely blind - besides reading the OP here I haven't read anything else on this game. I had no idea what to expect and so far this game is a really nice departure from what i normally play.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well - i picked this up on the PSN holiday sale for $30 and just got around to playing through the prologue.

This game is absolutely beautiful. I love the art style and everything is drawn with care and tons of detail. The audio is really nice too. I'm really digging this game and looking forward to figuring out what the hell is going on.

It doesn't matter what order you start doing the remembrance sections in right? Like i won't miss out on anything by doing things in a certain order will I?

How do you choose when to do the 'Destruction' missions? Do you just do them as you feel like?

I'm going in completely blind - besides reading the OP here I haven't read anything else on this game. I had no idea what to expect and so far this game is a really nice departure from what i normally play.

Play in whichever order you feel like.

And yes you pace yourself with the destruction missions. Sometimes the remembrance of certain characters will be locked until you have cleared specific destruction missions.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started this Sunday, was hesitant as I have never played a virtual novel style game before. The combat so far looks pretty basic but at least it mixes things up. The story through the "prologue" is hella confusing but it already has me super intrigued as to what the fuck is going on in this game lol.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so any fears I had about not enjoying this game have vanished and I am addicted.

I will admit I find the story a bit confusing still but I am pretty early so I expect it to start clicking as I get further in.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it yesterday..... well that was CERTAINLY A RIDE.

Questions
- The story is then set 2 million years into the future? correct?
- Do the sectors exist in real life, or do they exist in VR?

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
I've finished it yesterday...and I'm listening "Seaside Vacation" since the credits rolled. What an amazing, INCREDIBLE gem this game is... I've loved all of the cast so much that I was completely lost during the credits. It became one of my favorite stories in the generation.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Started this Sunday, was hesitant as I have never played a virtual novel style game before. The combat so far looks pretty basic but at least it mixes things up. The story through the "prologue" is hella confusing but it already has me super intrigued as to what the fuck is going on in this game lol.
Ok so any fears I had about not enjoying this game have vanished and I am addicted.

I will admit I find the story a bit confusing still but I am pretty early so I expect it to start clicking as I get further in.

Good to see you over here from the Kiseki thread but I am very much like you not much experience in Visual Novel games but this just has something special about it. I am very early in the game but excited to play more.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
after the end of the adventure , there are still some battle left, does it have some story after that or not ?

By the way, this game is one of my all time favorite now, there are other game similar ? I used to read a lot of visual novel ( muv luv, higurashi, stein gate etc...) but i really liked how they did here, it look like a visual novel that i really play.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
after the end of the adventure , there are still some battle left, does it have some story after that or not ?

By the way, this game is one of my all time favorite now, there are other game similar ? I used to read a lot of visual novel ( muv luv, higurashi, stein gate etc...) but i really liked how they did here, it look like a visual novel that i really play.

Don't think so lol there's 9999 battles for you to enjoy at your leisure.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 38 hours into the game and about to incomplete. Is there any write up/guide that pieces the story together, or at least puts it all in chronological order? I have a crap memory and tend to forget what's happened in characters' arcs with all the jumping about.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I'm about 38 hours into the game and about to incomplete. Is there any write up/guide that pieces the story together, or at least puts it all in chronological order? I have a crap memory and tend to forget what's happened in characters' arcs with all the jumping about.
in the analysis section of the game

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Well I bought this today. I was never interested in this game, but I hear nothing but praise for it, and the retail version appears to be going out of print any day, so I figured why not. 🤞

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Yes.

Look up hotel dusk, ghost trick, shadow of memories.