• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. Overall I think I'm really happy with it. I don't think it beats 999 or VLR's ending, but it probably beats all the Danganronpa games in my book. I really enjoyed the story, but I do think its strongest parts were the bits that led up to the ending, rather than the ending itself. It sort of stumbled during the final stretch - not enough to fuck up anything, but it doesn't stick it as cleanly as I had hoped. But considering how this game's story is so much more ambitious than any of the other games I've mentioned in this paragraph, not landing super cleanly is totally understandable.

I guess I'll head to the spoiler thread tomorrow.

I only just got past the "tutorial" part and unlocked the full pick-your-path stuff, but it's not so much confusing as much as it's threatening to be overwhelmingly complicated. Has anyone had to take notes of their own or does the analysis section tend to do the job?
The analysis section seems to mostly do the job for me.

All the story paths and names feel like a mess at first, but they become easier to follow pretty quickly.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any idea how well this game sold in the West? The Japanese sales ended up being decent and I hope that Vanillaware's hard work gets rewarded.

Didn't you see that one thread on general gaming? This game is a hard sell to so many people. Outside of probably this thread the game will be judged based on "that one picture" and it's a downward spiral from there. I'm willing to bet the Western sales aren't great at all.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Didn't you see that one thread on general gaming? This game is a hard sell to so many people. Outside of probably this thread the game will be judged based on "that one picture" and it's a downward spiral from there. I'm willing to bet the Western sales aren't great at all.

I've been seeing a lot of mentions on social media, gaming press has been covering the game, and larger twitter accounts have been tweeting about how great it is.

Oct 25, 2017
is there a way to replay the prologues for a character? once i actually start to work out who people are, it'd be nice to see their intro again, because the prologues mostly completely washed over me

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up this game on a whim, and finished early this morning at 5AM. Yeah, GOTY. This game has almost everything I wanted in a game.
  • Different narrative POVs from different protagonists (no centralized MC)
  • Great character dynamics
  • Great narrative
  • Banger OST
  • Surprisingly fun gameplay
I don't think I've been enamored with a cast of characters since like Tales. Not to say Trails isn't any bad either, but the whole harem shtick from Crossbell and onward really put a damper on my opinion of how the cast is handled in that series in the modern entries. I just loved how each character had their own arc (and even romantic interest) and how they all ended up converging at the end. Just bangin'. I'm also a big sucker for games that focus on themes relating to hope and stuff like that; it kind of puts me in an existential crisis (in a good way). Natsuno and Keitaro ended up being my favorite between the boys and girls, but I still ended up being fond of them all regardless of where they place in my list. Plenty of things to nitpick, but I'm not going to bother because the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. Though, if there's one thing to nitpick, it'd be...

I wish there had been a lot more bonding moments between Keitaro and Chihiro. It was endearing to see how she didn't completely separate herself from her memories as his younger sister even after getting the Professor's memories restored.

Just how many light years will it be until I get another game like this to satisfy the itch? I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeeh okay, game, you've got me. I'm only 4.5 hours in, but I haven't put it down yet.

I know a lot of spoilers, but there's obviously so much going on, the spoilers I know don't really tell me much/haven't fallen into place lol.

Anyway, I'm only in first wave, and have done as much of Juro's story as I could so far. I ditched Shiba as much as possible, obnoxious brat 😡

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and I have to agree, 13 Sentinels is GOTY material. What a story, what a ride! Loved most of the characters. Natsu best girl!

I also was a big fan of the combat sections as well, this game had everything.

My only complaint would be it felt a bit too long at times but this game is tied for me along with TLOU2 for GOTY. I couldn't stop playing this game at all.

Also, this game is now my first platinum ever!

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing a lot of mentions on social media, gaming press has been covering the game, and larger twitter accounts have been tweeting about how great it is.

Well hopefully Era is just a whiny bitch-made bubble and the game gets more players in due to all the positive press. I really enjoyed the game and hope vanillaware gets the recognition they deserve in the end.

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
I bought this game during black Friday but just started playing it this week. I'm on the second set, 3rd wave of battles. Currently have around 30% completion rate for 10 of 12 characters (still need to unlock one more pilot).

I'm digging the story, but it's so confusing. Is there a recommended order for progressing through the story? Or is the game just not meant to be understood like that lol.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm digging the story, but it's so confusing. Is there a recommended order for progressing through the story? Or is the game just not meant to be understood like that lol.

No, that's the beauty of it. You start pretty much anywhere and almost nothing is story gated besides a few key points. Everything leads to the end naturally. You can start anywhere, jump to another character anytime, etc. Kind of like a choose your own adventure book that you can open to any page. Everything begins to come together later.

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
No, that's the beauty of it. You start pretty much anywhere and almost nothing is story gated besides a few key points. Everything leads to the end naturally. You can start anywhere, jump to another character anytime, etc. Kind of like a choose your own adventure book that you can open to any page. Everything begins to come together later.

Got you!!

I'm perfectly fine with that lol. I'm not understanding much right now, but I'm having honest to God jaw-dropping story revelations every 30 minutes or so.

Just today I found out that the Kaiju are actually man made. Found out Shiba is only in Juros head. Saw the bathroom fight in Natsunos story. In Yukis story I had the confrontation with Erika (Juro android) . Had the conversation with BJ where he tells Natsuno that maybe her and her friends are the 'aliens' I also completed Goutos proluge which was awesome. Just started the Miura proluge and based off of the year it takes place in, and the current setting, I'm sure I'm in for a ride here too.

I'm loving it!

Between playing this and P5 (and then immediately buying P5 Royal upon completion lol) I'm finally starting to enjoy some JRPGS again. Other than these 2 games, the only other JRPG I played this Gen was FF15. Looking forward to getting into some more in 2021.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Played to around 30%ish today and wow. This game is like a giant knob marked "INTRIGUE" being constantly cranked higher and higher. I want to know MORE

edit - Hemborger.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Tried to finish this up before the new year but ended up finishing it at 1:45 am this morning.
I really loved the story. I kind of dreaded the combat but every time i start doing the combat stuff i start getting into it.

Its not my personal GOTY (Yakuza takes that for me), but it is an amazing game.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Need help with Iori at about 25% of her story:

How do I give Fluffy the cat treats? Fluffy runs away immediately as soon as Iori is close and I never get an action prompt on the treats.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Need help with Iori at about 25% of her story:

How do I give Fluffy the cat treats? Fluffy runs away immediately as soon as Iori is close and I never get an action prompt on the treats.

Yeah, had to look this up lol.

Once you're standing near the cat, turn around but don't walk away from the cat or he'll run. Just walk closer to the girls until you get a prompt to ask her for the treats.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember,
keep talking to the other girls and you'll be prompted to do something else
. I had a problem with this for a bit as well
Yeah, had to look this up lol.

Once you're standing near the cat, turn around but don't walk away from the cat or he'll run. Just walk closer to the girls until you get a prompt to ask her for the treats.

Ah, Thanks. Seemed counter-intuitive but that did the trick!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... random question because I thought I had seen it but now I don't know lol.

Where is Sentinel 18? I'm at 69% of Remembrance, and I can't remember where, or if, it's been mentioned, but I just noticed it's missing in the lineup of our 13 characters.

🤔

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What the first 2-3 hours of this game feel like:

black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Hmm... random question because I thought I had seen it but now I don't know lol.

Where is Sentinel 18? I'm at 69% of Remembrance, and I can't remember where, or if, it's been mentioned, but I just noticed it's missing in the lineup of our 13 characters.

🤔

The game never specifically answered this. Probably ran out of budget for that part, you can read the interview after finishing the game and they mentioned some cut content due to budget.

It is supposed to be future Hijiyama Tamao AI.

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
The game never specifically answered this. Probably ran out of budget for that part, you can read the interview after finishing the game and they mentioned some cut content due to budget.

It is supposed to be future Hijiyama AI.

Oh okay.

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought it had been brought up in the story but maybe I'm getting it mixed in with all the 17/19 shenanigans in Natsuno/Miura's stories.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Oh okay.

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought it had been brought up in the story but maybe I'm getting it mixed in with all the 17/19 shenanigans in Natsuno/Miura's stories.

Wait, actually:

18 was supposed to be Tamao AI, and 19 is Hijiyama AI. Guess 18 was just lost.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is the entire game. At any moment you can hit a section of chapters that all redefine your understanding of the game. It's wild. Woolie and Reggie's playthrough has been the best and I'm so excited for more of it.

Ahah sure, it was less about the twistsand more about how fucking complicated right out off the bat it is, but I'm confident it will make sense down the road.
Still, a lot to take in for sure between timelines, characters, names, events and so on.
And the RTS mode is making my eyes bleed lol

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
it hits you out of the gate with so many plot hooks like
time travel!? talking cats!? assassins from the future!?

and then later hits you with
NOPE but also KINDA?
I'm not entirely finished- but man this is a game of curveballs.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm maybe a quarter into the game, but have sunk most of my time into Remembrance as the Destruction route makes less sense to me when I don't even know the personalities of some of the pilots.

My only question at this point is, with Mystery Points, should I be spending those in any kind of way? Is it possible to "waste" them on entries that you'd unlock by playing the game, or is every locked entry meant to be first opened with a mystery point?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm maybe a quarter into the game, but have sunk most of my time into Remembrance as the Destruction route makes less sense to me when I don't even know the personalities of some of the pilots.

My only question at this point is, with Mystery Points, should I be spending those in any kind of way? Is it possible to "waste" them on entries that you'd unlock by playing the game, or is every locked entry meant to be first opened with a mystery point?
Don't worry about it. Buy everything.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

You want to spend them asap.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't really matter but I would generally try to spend them for the items that get more bang for the buck. Analysis items will get updates through the story so it's a good idea to spend mystery points on significant plot points versus a food item or something.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

I did as much Rememberance as I could too, before going into Destruction. I think I liked it more that way.

You can't waste those points, and I think you get enough to fill out all entries by the end. I was spending them on pretty trivial terms by the end.

I generally saved a few in case there were a few key items I was wondering about, but for the most part you can spend them freely. They generally don't tell you anything that the story routes don't already tell you, but it's there so that you can look up stuff if you ever want to jog your memory about a particular term.

Oct 25, 2017
i'm enjoying what i've played of this so far, but there's something so "square-peg > round-hole" to me about playing a game like this on a big screen TV. i really wish I could play it portably.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this earlier. Wasn't confident they could competently answer all the questions they were asking up until like the 50-60% mark, but they nailed it. Crazy impressive.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
IT'S SO GOOD. One of my favorite choices.

Yeah it was great!

Finished the game today. Bravo 👏 What a great one. I was getting a migraine by the end so I didn't go back and read all the mystery files that were updated, but I got the story without.

Last thing I probably want to do because it bugs me to leave them is go back to the levels that I didn't get S rank or extra conditions done and redo them lol.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
finished this (very close to plat- just need to do a few optional objectives) and I was wondering:
Can you defeat the Drum Mine EX by tricking it to explode on a Guardian? I didn't try it but it would be hilarious

Edit,: just got the plat. BTW, PSA, if you beat the game and you didn't
the very bottom of the event list, there's another epilogue event that gets unlocked

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Would this be a bad jump-in point for my first anime VN? I've played Zachtronics' Eliza and Neo Cab, but most VN always turned me somewhat due to a (probably unfair) assumption that actually playing them is really boring (ie. just clicking through text). The 2D sidescrolling and mech tactical battles certainly make this more appealing.

Are the conversations more "game-ified" as well?

Also, the battle clip I saw reminded me of a cross between Atom Zombie Smasher and the manga/anime Bokurano. Is that an accurate comparison?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Would this be a bad jump-in point for my first anime VN? I've played Zachtronics' Eliza and Neo Cab, but most VN always turned me somewhat due to a (probably unfair) assumption that actually playing them is really boring (ie. just clicking through text). The 2D sidescrolling and mech tactical battles certainly make this more appealing.

Are the conversations more "game-ified" as well?

Also, the battle clip I saw reminded me of a cross between Atom Zombie Smasher and the manga/anime Bokurano. Is that an accurate comparison?
This game is not a standard vn. I definitely think its destruction mode makes it more accessible to people not interested in the standard "read, make a choice, repeat" gameplay loop in most vns.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hit the first twist that I actually didn't see coming and was delivered in a pretty great way:
Yuki being Natsuno's mother.

Getting close to the end and have some pretty good guesses as to the last reveals. I think thus far, the only thing I wish this had was actual third person narration instead of everything being either dialogue or datalogs.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm about to start the game, do I need to worry about choices/true endings/best routes or nothing is missable?