• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Great news and even if it does not win (would love for it to win) I hope that it being nominated causes more people to pick it up.

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
Just voted for it! Would be incredible if it won! Going to be a uphill climb though, being such a niche game up against these juggernauts :(

Pixel_Stream

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly im kind of shocked it got nominated. I erally doubdet the jury even knew it existed haha. Also in comparison to previous years lot of more high profil JP titles like fire emblem and xenoblade 2 ost werent event nominated, so that only adds to the surprise.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
13 Sentinels got nominated for VGA best narrative!

Well deserved. I am not yet finished with the game, but I am pretty far along and have to say the hype about it and the accolades it won in Japan were absolutely justified.

Like Nier Automata this will be a game that will stay with me for a long time after finishing it.

Danimaniac

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game and got the platinum trophy. Hands down my game of the year and it deserves at minimum best narrative.

Glad to see so many praising it and I hope it leads to more exposure.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this up tonight. Awesome game, GOTY for me I think. I do have a couple small questions:

1. What ended up happening to Kengo Ogata? Other than knowing that Gouto was going to try and stop him, it's not clear as to his ultimate fate.

2. I noticed at the end of Juro's story two boxes on his story chart changed from question marks to "Memory Correction", did I miss something there? Everything is at 100% so I'm a little confused.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Finished this up tonight. Awesome game, GOTY for me I think. I do have a couple small questions:

1. What ended up happening to Kengo Ogata? Other than knowing that Gouto was going to try and stop him, it's not clear as to his ultimate fate.

2. I noticed at the end of Juro's story two boxes on his story chart changed from question marks to "Memory Correction", did I miss something there? Everything is at 100% so I'm a little confused.
I don't recall the details of the first one, but for the second:
I'm pretty sure that's just the name they gave for the "dead ends" of that section. If you stayed too long in one place without progress, Juro's memories would get tampered with so he'd forget the stuff he learned (and you'd cycle back to the beginning of the section).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game and platinum'd it last night on PS5, I played about 30% on PS4 and the rest on PS5 and honestly didn't notice a huge difference other than no slowdowns in the combat section and the game loading super fast.

I really enjoyed it, I honestly can't remember a single characters name or tell you what the story really was other than weird comparison to some movies but it was very enjoyable and hope it sells well.

The game is $30 this week at best buy, gamestop, and probably a few other places so it makes for a great xmas gift for any friends who are into JRPGs.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished it today and well, holy shit that is certainly a well executed story. A clear GOTY contender for me. Against my original assumptions I also took a liking to the battle sections as well.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Just finished it and was somewhat disappointed in how it wraps up.

It was obvious from maybe 40% on that the sectors were places, not times, and that thus was all in a ship meant to reseed humanity on a new planet...and for all twists and turns, that's basically all there was to it.

4 chihiros, 3 izumis, 2 idas, relocating characters between sectors at birth, etc. was all really superfluous in the end.

A particularly bad example of this is Ryoko's whole storyline. She spent her time trying to reverse the effects of DD-426 and failed. But Okino actually fixed this via Miura because of reasons, so whatever.

And the game relied heavily on selective ignorance to create drama. 2188 Chihiro knows all there is to know about this project...except that the current loop may be the last due to the age of the facility. What characters knew and didn't know felt arbitrary.

All that mattered was that the seed of humanity needed to fix the program so they could "wake up". The intrigue that led up to that often didn't contribute to that story.

I thought it was ok and I want Vanillaware to continue pursuing their vision. I just felt that the story here goes around it's butt to get to it's elbow.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up on sale and wow there is a lot going on.

I'm about 3 hours in but interested to see more.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So I did as much as I could in the rememberance section and now I have to go back to destruction mode, which I haven't touched since the tutorial. So just as a quick question, did it matter if I play on casual, normal, or hard? Will I miss anything? And what are some quick tips to make sure I S rank everything. Wanna go for 100%.

Game is amazing btw. Definitely have sat up straight, jaw dropped at some of these revelations. And I'm only 15 hours in....

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I did as much as I could in the rememberance section and now I have to go back to destruction mode, which I haven't touched since the tutorial. So just as a quick question, did it matter if I play on casual, normal, or hard? Will I miss anything? And what are some quick tips to make sure I S rank everything. Wanna go for 100%.

Game is amazing btw. Definitely have sat up straight, jaw dropped at some of these revelations. And I'm only 15 hours in....
Just use casual. You can unlock everything that way (platinumed it) and it's very easy to get through. I got an S rank on every mission on my first try.

Some general tips:
  • Check the bonus objectives. A lot of missions require one or two specific strike team members.
  • Switch your team members often. Make sure you don't get them all exhausted at once.
  • Level up stuff as sentry guns, interceptors and long range missiles as fast as possible. Spamming sentry guns can win a battle in seconds.
  • Also level up the score and chip multipliers. This will gain you additional bonuses and make it easier and faster to level up.
  • You can replay any mission anytime if you missed a bonus objective.
I think that's enough for the start.

But it really is very easy when playing on casual.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Still in the early game, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

I need to know what the fuck is going on with this cat lol. Everything else in the game is pretty scifi, but Fluffy is throwing a wrench in my expectations, even if I suspect it will eventually have a "scifi" explanation.

Oct 27, 2017
I just started this; 4 hours and while the art is great and general vibe is interesting, so far the story doesn't really get me? Is that expected early on? I've only completed the prologue and a few chapters for certain characters after that. It's interesting but pretty full of anime tropes at the beginning, I'm assuming it gets so much praise because the story takes off.

keeping up with the 13 character plot threads is a little intimidating. Also, I love tower defense games but the combat visuals are very confusing. I need to look a primer on the combat because I'm like 10+ battles in and I barely know what I'm actually doing. The pixel style visuals make the map and action on it kinda confusing for me idk

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I just started this; 4 hours and while the art is great and general vibe is interesting, so far the story doesn't really get me? Is that expected early on? I've only completed the prologue and a few chapters for certain characters after that. It's interesting but pretty full of anime tropes at the beginning, I'm assuming it gets so much praise because the story takes off.

keeping up with the 13 character plot threads is a little intimidating. Also, I love tower defense games but the combat visuals are very confusing. I need to look a primer on the combat because I'm like 10+ battles in and I barely know what I'm actually doing. The pixel style visuals make the map and action on it kinda confusing for me idk
The game is around ~30 hours so you're pretty early on. As you get to know the expanding cast and their interactions with each other I think it will start hitting more. The game's lock out system will stop it from completely overwhelming you.

The battles are generally pretty simple. Just protect the core and try to be offensive if you feel like it.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017

I'm about 70% through and can confirm the story goes (interesting) places.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we might get a surge of people getting the game and posting due to all the BF sales. Hope everyone enjoys the ride. My GOTY.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Finished earlier and I liked it. The game part was fun, I enjoyed the music alot especially during the battles, voice acting and the backgrounds/ sentinel work was brilliant. The story was a bit hit and miss, seemed like a mega mix of established sci fi stories that sort of fit together at some points. The conclusion was well done though,
the ending and characters being able to revisit the simulation and meet up with everyone was a good ending and that Ogata, Wajima reunion at the creadits gave me a good laugh.
I'm interested in the extra stage unlocks at the end of the game while trying some more of the later stages on intense could be on the cards at some point. So yeah it was good and i would like to see more in a similar approach between story and gameplay in the future but i just preferred Odin Sphere a lot more and hope Vanillaware revisit something like that before hand.

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the game(7 hours in) and I am confused, when I'm seeing the "flowchart" and there are no "Keys" above some of the the ??? blocks, do I just move on to something else?

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly that's a part that I don't get yet, I haven't done any battles so far and try to exhaust the stories of the characters before I do that but some story-bits really have me clueless as to how to get to a certain branch.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I just started the game(7 hours in) and I am confused, when I'm seeing the "flowchart" and there are no "Keys" above some of the the ??? blocks, do I just move on to something else?

Yes, it's more linear than you think.

If the keyword isn't revealed for a particular block it means you can't access that 'route' yet. Just do another path, you'll probably unlock it later.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I've finally unlocked Yuki and Gouto's stories and the revalations are flying fast and thick. It's like being back in an Uchikoshi game in the good way. And I get the feeling I still don't know jack shit.

This is awesome

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally unlocked Yuki and Gouto's stories and the revalations are flying fast and thick. It's like being back in an Uchikoshi game in the good way. And I get the feeling I still don't know jack shit.

This is awesome
It's so good, right?!

I hope we get more new impressions like these after the Black Friday sales. It brings me such joy to see more people enjoying this gem.

Apr 19, 2018
Circle button to dash and X to confirm in this game feels so horribly counter-intuitive that I had to swap them around in the PS4's Button Assignment after a few hours of play. Hopefully they don't introduce specific contextual functions for these buttons later on beyond dash, confirm, and cancel that'll fuck me up.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the 13 sentinels. Took about 25 hours. Truly a great game, and easily one of my top 3 video game stories.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Though, i have to say. I loved the slowdown (esp when i had it spammed by several characters. LMAO) that happens when you use Missile Rain. Made it feel more epic. LOL.

I think I understand where you're coming from, since we're experiencing the battles through some kind of in-universe strategic UI kinda that could be seen as that systems can't handle the scales of the battles thus making them more grand yeah :P

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Just when I think I'm starting to figure it out they keep throwing wild curve balls at me lol.

Timcanpies

Sep 17, 2020
Hell yeah, new Miyuki Inaba song with the arrange album. I'm totally cool with Miyuki Inaba becoming a standalone artist to be honest hahaha

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I understand where you're coming from, since we're experiencing the battles through some kind of in-universe strategic UI kinda that could be seen as that systems can't handle the scales of the battles thus making them more grand yeah :P
Ummm. Not for any of those reasons. I just think it's cool.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to start, and then the seventh line of the game is "What the...where did my clothes go?"

This bullshit ruined Somnium Files for me. It better not be prevalent in this game...

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Really excited to start, and then the seventh line of the game is "What the...where did my clothes go?"

This bullshit ruined Somnium Files for me. It better not be prevalent in this game...
lol, I had the same early reaction. Kamatami! There's a few other choices that got a similar reaction but overall nah, it's thankfully not, and most of the smaller details tie into the larger mystery.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Excellent breakdown of what was discussed and announced on the Anniversary stream.

www.dualshockers.com

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim 1st Anniversary Stream Summary: Seiyuu Comments, Character Popularity Poll, Figures, New Manga, Remix OST Album With New Miyuki Inaba Song

Announcements and everything that happened on the 1st anniversary stream of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, newest masterpiece by Vanillaware.

Those prints look absolutely AMAZING. Definitely want to get all of them if possible.

EDIT: Also the live concert was super cool.