• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I'm barely past the prologue, but since I did all the available destruction missions first I decided to continue Shu Amiguchi's story.

Just when I think I'm beginning to grasp the timeline, *bam* here comes 2168. I would have missed the event, too, but I accidentally hit square and saw 4 branching paths from the start of Amiguchi's route and decided to replay his story instead of moving on to Miura's. I wonder how early the androids come up in other paths. My mind is spinning with possibilities right now. This game is great.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this up over the weekend and got the Plat. Easily the best thing I played all year and one of the best of this generation.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly. This piece of fan artwork (for the 13 Sentinels Virtual Art Exhibit) is SO good.

Ej0m2MDXsAA9-iK

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about something pretty late in the game, so only open this if you are really far into the story or have beat it:

Am I correct in assuming that 'Project Ark' (I don't know what this is yet!) and the colonies are two different things? Because they both have 'Sectors'. The 'Sector' entry in analysis is super confusing to me right now (just got it). But maybe I'm not supposed to know the answer yet?

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about something pretty late in the game, so only open this if you are really far into the story or have beat it:

Am I correct in assuming that 'Project Ark' (I don't know what this is yet!) and the colonies are two different things? Because they both have 'Sectors'. The 'Sector' entry in analysis is super confusing to me right now (just got it). But maybe I'm not supposed to know the answer yet?
They're related

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah you're probably not supposed to fully grasp the nature of those two things yet. They are different things though.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
What do you think you're missing? I'm not sure it's possible to miss anything to be honest? Can't you just warp to whatever section even if you could?
You can't miss a file in story.

The one thing that absolutely infuriated me in the final battle is enemy die so often it takes you out of the menu for selecting an attack skill, it was so dumb.

My bad! You guys were right!

I just finished the game. What a ride. This certainly became one of my top games this gen.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
about 74% through the story and now i have to do a bunch of the destruction waves to proceed. kind of dreading it because i dont find it that fun or interesting. hopefully there's not a a lot to get through

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda sad how overlooked this game is. I think the combination of bad marketing plus releasing around Genshin Impact (which probably has some crossover and was a huge success) might have definitely took wind out of its sails.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda sad how overlooked this game is. I think the combination of bad marketing plus releasing around Genshin Impact (which probably has some crossover and was a huge success) might have definitely took wind out of its sails.
I don't think I've ever been this disheartened over the disparity between a game's quality and its sales/mindshare within the gaming community. It's criminal, and I feel helpless. Everyone needs to be playing 13 Sentinels.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever been this disheartened over the disparity between a game's quality and its sales/mindshare within the gaming community. It's criminal, and I feel helpless. Everyone needs to be playing 13 Sentinels.
I feel like something like a PS Plus month or a re-release on Switch (which I don't see happening) would be the only thing to bring it mainstream appeal at this appoint.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Barely any marketing + niche appeal + Late generation release isn't a recipe for success, yeah. To be honest, I really hope Vanillaware's entire back catalogue gets ported to modern consoles or made more accessible in some way. This is my first Vanillaware game and I am definitely down for playing more of their games, even if they are completely different from 13 Sentinels.

Earlier this year when I first beat it, I talked about the game in depth with someone that beat it around the same time as me. The understanding that we came out with is that "it's definitely not going to click for everyone, but if it clicks, it clicks hard", and looking at this thread (and spoilers thread), it seems to be true.

Well, maybe it can get into top 20 for Era's GOTY list, and be rediscovered in a few years as "PS4's hidden gem" or something.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Barely any marketing + niche appeal + Late generation release isn't a recipe for success, yeah. To be honest, I really hope Vanillaware's entire back catalogue gets ported to modern consoles or made more accessible in some way. This is my first Vanillaware game and I am definitely down for playing more of their games, even if they are completely different from 13 Sentinels.
Pick up Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir or Dragon's Crown Pro. Can't go wrong with either, but I say start with Odin Sphere if you want something with a meatier story to complement the action.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, this couldn't have sold well even by Atlus standards. At best, I think they can hope for word of mouth to aid sales in the long run just like in Japan. Regardless, it ultimately sold more than it needed to in Japan so Vanillaware should be fine. It's really Atlus/SEGA here that's going to lose money on the international release.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this couldn't have sold well even by Atlus standards. At best, I think they can hope for word of mouth to aid sales in the long run just like in Japan. Regardless, it ultimately sold more than it needed to in Japan so Vanillaware should be fine. It's really Atlus/SEGA here that's going to lose money on the international release.
Yeah but that's still a problem because it'll make it harder for us to see high-quality localizations of Vanillaware's work in the future. I just really hope this game has legs internationally due to word-of-mouth.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Has anyone played through it a second time from scratch? Is it enjoyable?
Yes. Although it was several months apart for me, and I played through the second time alone and with the English dub, which helped make things feel different. I also bounced around a lot more in the story, rather than just going straight through one character till I hit a block, which is what I did the first time.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Even in the best of scenarios, this game would be a hard sell.

The best thing it has going for it is critical acclaim, but unfortunately because people only look at the numbers, a 85/86 isn't going to catch anyone's attention.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to hold onto my physical copy of this game forever. I will also buy a digital copy in December.
This is the game of the year for me.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Vanillaware fan and I honestly had no idea what to expect until I read through some previews a week or so before release. It's a big change from their previous games, but I think it's easily their best game to date.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Not going to lie, seeing a YouTuber/streamer I have followed since they were just a PokeTuber Tweet out that they bought the game today did make me happy.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I'm actually interested in this game, I loved Odin Sphere, Muramasa and Dragon's Crown... but this year hasn't been so great on a financial sense, so I don't think I can spend much on games by year-end. I've just been playing backlog games instead, but I look forward to playing this game sometime. Hopefully it sells decently enough.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually interested in this game, I loved Odin Sphere, Muramasa and Dragon's Crown... but this year hasn't been so great on a financial sense, so I don't think I can spend much on games by year-end. I've just been playing backlog games instead, but I look forward to playing this game sometime. Hopefully it sells decently enough.
I hope you're in a better financial situation in the future.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I hope you're in a better financial situation in the future.

Thanks a lot... I hope 2021 brings better things for my family. We didn't get hit hard like a lot of families we hear on the news hit hardest by the epidemic, but we definitely had to use our savings to stay afloat so far...

I've been trying my best not to spoil anything for 13 Sentinels since I loved the stories in Odin Sphere...

I love games, but this is definitely a time to prioritize family first... =\

I hope you're doing well, too

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping Gigguk or another big anituber would speak of the game and give it a little more attention, but i dont think that outside of promotional game content he ever does anything outside of anime.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping Gigguk or another big anituber would speak of the game and give it a little more attention, but i dont think that outside of promotional game content he ever does anything outside of anime.
I feel like if any anituber was going to talk about this it would've been mother's basement, but while I think he might've tweeted something about it at one point I can't find anything so I might be misremembering