• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Oh, you think you've got it all figured out at 63%? Think you've seen it all?

My sweet summer child. You will see.

Finished the game. From the point I was at (63%) until the end of the game, there was not anything all that new or surprising from what I understood so far or what I expected regarding the plot. Not sure what element you're referring to, but from that point on, I didn't experience any plot twists, just a few clarifications to stuff I already knew. A few "oh, I guess this character did that", but no major "wait, this changes everything!" stuff.

At that point, it was already clear that they were in a simulation and there wasn't any time travel happening. The game had already even mentioned people being in pods. I think the only "big" surprise was Kindergarten Chihiro being the original one and the murderer for Ei's story.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I am also strongly averse to "stereotypical anime writing" as you put it, and I'm happy to report that this game not only avoids that pitfall but frankly has some of the best character writing I've seen in a game in a long time. It's a credit to both the original writers (mostly Kamitani, I think) and the translation team at Atlus. All of the dialog is very naturalistic, and every character's personality shines through clearly. It's an impressive achievement in storytelling and writing all around.
I never really mind those tropey stuff so maybe I'm not very good at judging it.
you'll still see a lot of anime stuff like senpai here and there, character blushes all the time. But almost every single moment is packed with meaningful conversation/explanation of the story.
There's very less downtime for nonsense.
Thank you for your answers. I'm not one to turn a game down completely for that sort of thing, but I'm much more likely to try it out if they're doing something a bit more interesting or original. The impressions here have been very positive, so I'll give it a try as soon as I can find it. Thanks again!

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
OT, but do we really need condescending posts like these? You can say what you want without the attitude.
It wasn't meant to be condescending at all. I was more just trying to enthusiastically convey that there were still plenty of surprises in store. It was meant to be positive and encouraging in tone.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It wears so many of its influences on its sleeves that I believe sci-fi fans can predict plot beats based off of that alone but it's still fun seeing how well they're blended together.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had a real WTF?! moment yet (8 hours in). Maybe I've watched too much Sci-fi to be surprised lol.

Love it though!

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
imho I think the first couple of hours are like a trainwreck, and after 10 hours you know a lot of stuff, but it's good because you can enjoy properly the rest of the game even with the limited context you have.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
me in early hours: wow, is this just going to every sci-fi trope
me 10 hours in: its just every sci-fi trope... but in a good way

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Haven't had a real WTF?! moment yet (8 hours in). Maybe I've watched too much Sci-fi to be surprised lol.

Love it though!

I do have to agree. Yeah it gets a bit crazy in terms of the jumps and the narrative arc and I am really enjoying it overall but I wouldn't say I have been particularly surprised/ shocked by anything so far. It is really a sci-fi love letter and I adore the genre so perhaps familiarity softens the shock factor.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OT, but do we really need condescending posts like these? You can say what you want without the attitude.
UkFMAou.gif

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
For me, some of the most surprising things weren't twists per se, but clarifications and suggestions

Battle portion spoilers:
Like how the RTS section is basically one long multi hour battle against thousands if not millions of Kaiju. When Inaba's like "Can you hold on for another 14 hours?" My jaw was on the floor.. the scope of the battle was staggering to me.

Oct 25, 2017
24 hours I've completed my first story (Nenji) and I'm already sad. I wanted more Nenji. Don't tell me I have to feel the sad of reaching the end 12 more times.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even unlocked the final fighting area aaargh. I've got a lot to do on story mode, still. But I'm gonna play for a couple a hours today, miss the megatons!
I've played half way through of area 3.

If you want megatons. Then wait till you get till Gouto-senpai's story. There's a reason why it's locked till late game. LOL.
I wonder if there's any chance of this ever hitting PC?
Slim to none.

I wish the entire Vanillaware back catalogue would come out on PC.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Past the prologue. Is there a recommended character order? Or is it better to progress characters semi-simultaneously, if possible?
The way the story is structured, it really doesn't matter in which order you go.

You can do what i did. When a particular character's story grabbed me, i'd stick with it till it locked me out.
That's a bummer. Would love to give their other games a try too, yeah.
Dragon's Crown Pro is on the PS4 (as is Odin Sphere leifthrasir) if you want to give them a go.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Past the prologue. Is there a recommended character order? Or is it better to progress characters semi-simultaneously, if possible?
Do what feels best. I personally would suggest playing a bit more of Juro before Amiguchi, because it makes something a little more obvious if you do it in the other order... But it's not a big deal. I just jumped around and would stick with characters I really enjoyed early on (Kisaragi & Ogata were my early favorites).

Oct 25, 2017
Do what feels best. I personally would suggest playing a bit more of Juro before Amiguchi, because it makes something a little more obvious if you do it in the other order... But it's not a big deal. I just jumped around and would stick with characters I really enjoyed early on (Kisaragi & Ogata were my early favorites).

Problem is if you keep playing Juro, it spoils Megumi.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Problem is if you keep playing Juro, it spoils Megumi.
Ha, I didn't think about that. Juro was kind of the least interesting character to me so I saved him as much to the end as I could. It seems certain chapters of Juro/Megumi/Amiguchi could've been better gated to prevent some of this. It's really not that big of a deal, though. Even though I knew what was up playing Juro's story it's not like I knew what was actually up, just that something obviously was. I'd actually thought

that Shiba was originating from the same projection of Inaba to Amiguchi. I was thinking they were sent from Universal Control somehow.

So it's not like knowing something is awry always gives it away lol, because something is always going on in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I didn't think about that. Juro was kind of the least interesting character to me so I saved him as much to the end as I could. It seems certain chapters of Juro/Megumi/Amiguchi could've been better gated to prevent some of this. It's really not that big of a deal, though. Even though I knew what was up playing Juro's story it's not like I knew what was actually up, just that something obviously was. I'd actually thought

that Shiba was originating from the same projection of Inaba to Amiguchi. I was thinking they were sent from Universal Control somehow.

So it's not like knowing something is awry always gives it away lol, because something is always going on in this game.

I did Amiguchi first, so when you start playing through Juro you see that

Shiba exists in Juro's head only since you notice they are repeating the scene where Juro and Amiguchi hang out, but in Juro's side Shiba is there. And when you keep playing Juro you learn that Shiba and Fluffy are both representations of Izumi. Which works since in the english dub they are both voiced by Ben Diskin

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I thought I got the game figured out. Then out of nowhere, Hijiyama's last chapter threw me off completely.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I did Amiguchi first, so when you start playing through Juro you see that

Shiba exists in Juro's head only since you notice they are repeating the scene where Juro and Amiguchi hang out, but in Juro's side Shiba is there. And when you keep playing Juro you learn that Shiba and Fluffy are both representations of Izumi. Which works since in the english dub they are both voiced by Ben Diskin
I... don't disagree? Lol I said in the post you quoted I took the same path. Just that until the answers were "revealed", it didn't matter that I knew something was up, because I was still working from too incomplete of a picture to know what it was. Which is the real magic of the game, really.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm playing as Megumi first, which I don't know if that's good or bad. Since I haven't seen her and Juro as a couple, she just seems creepy and possessive. The blatant homage to Madoka Magica is amusing, though Fluffy is an asshole from the start.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All character stories, 100% complete...... Now on to the final battle. *swipes Sentinel activation key*

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing as Megumi first, which I don't know if that's good or bad. Since I haven't seen her and Juro as a couple, she just seems creepy and possessive. The blatant homage to Madoka Magica is amusing, though Fluffy is an asshole from the start.

Yeah, I'm at 40% or so of her story and I haven't warmed up to Meg yet. Like you said, just seems like overly attached (ex-)girlfriend. And it doesn't help that Juro (up until 50% or so where I am) is, for story reasons, pretty boring. So there's no way you can even get an inkling of why she'd behave that way.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
faSh9F2.png

2nd time beating the game (localized woo) and was just as great as the first. Probably even better because I got to experience it in English too. What a fantastic ride. I know some others have asked throughout the thread so:

Time: 34 hours. But I tracked my story to battle hours. 24 hours in story, 10 hours in battle and menu-reading.
Platinum is easy peezy. I wont spoil anything due to the nature of the game but once you finish you will at least be at 90% or more and the last 1-3 should be easy pickins. I was at 97% this go around.

Gotsh0cks

Sep 28, 2020
I adore this game. It's fun that they clearly pay homage to a wide range of tropes, stories, and shows that came before 13 Sentinels but it still feels largely unique and cohesive.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Question about Ogata's story, a bit early on?

At the train station he noticed Juro was there around the same time I walked over and saw Iori and Okino. I started talking to them two though and I wasn't able to go back and find Juro. Currently my story is locked until a certain event. Were you able to talk to Juro then?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question about Ogata's story, a bit early on?

At the train station he noticed Juro was there around the same time I walked over and saw Iori and Okino. I started talking to them two though and I wasn't able to go back and find Juro. Currently my story is locked until a certain event. Were you able to talk to Juro then?
it's locked until later

Oct 25, 2017
The Platinum took me about 32 hours doing almost everything on intense, but I didn't do 3-10 S Rank on Intesnse, I had to bump the difficulty down.

Making progress through postgame fights on Intense. #5 and #20 were really great battles, but I think the ups and downs are a bit too inconsistent. The boss waves are hype in general but some fights end all too quickly.

#20 is kind of hilarious. Kill the giant field of yellow boss enemies, or eventually get overrun by sudden waves of like 50 Twintails that launch missiles immediately, or a wave of Guardians swarming your center.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So I just finished the main story. All that is left is cleanup and reading all of the archives. But I just got to say not only is this easily my GOTY it might even be my game of this generation. I do not know how any videogame can top this story. Before this I thought Nier Automata was the GOAT, but 13 Sentinels truly is the peak to me in terms of storytelling even with all the borrowed tropes. You know you have a great mystery when even some of your guesses of where the plot is going are wrong. Vanillaware has really outdid themselves. Bravo!

source.gif

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say thanks for this thread and OP. I mostly game on switch nowadays and probably would have missed this game otherwise but it has been really great so far. great remote play game in bed.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is my GOTY.

I'm about 75% done with the story and was trying to see if there's PSN avatars and whatnot and I stumbled across something called the "digital archives" that was apparently a paid prologue in the overseas version of this game.

Can I assume that this was the included prologue in the NA release, or are we missing content?

purseowner

Oct 25, 2017
13 Sentinels
Muramasa DLC stories
Odin Sphere
Muramasa
Dragons Crown

I beat DC before all the QOL improvements and patch as well as before Pro even released. Muramasa was my first platinum trophy and one of the most rare since...the requirements were....pretty demanding.
I remember hard mode and fury mode being difficult for different reasons in Muramasa.

Where's my 13 Sentinels fury mode