• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 5 hours in and hooked. What a fun experience this has been so far. I find it very difficult to put down. The combat is pretty fun.

And I'm loving the cat because he looks a lot like my own cat lol. No clue what the hell is going on but that's normal right.

Oct 25, 2017
I just use Gen 2s and have them spam turrets in a circle around the terminal and Gen 4s spam interceptors. Nothing has given me difficulty on intense this way.

The game ramps up in difficulty fairly quickly. I just couldn't get S on 3-10 on Intense and had to bump it down for the platinum, and the 5th postgame stage is totally bonkers.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I tend to play for short periods at a time and I'd say this game works great for that. A battle lasts maybe 10 minutes and a story section can be completed in anywhere from 10-30 minutes with plenty of opportunities to save. It's an easy game to hop in and out of.
Excellent. It's designed to be played in either short bursts or longer sessions in any order you want.

I'm also pretty sure you can save literally at any moment. Even mid-sentence between two characters.
Really great. It's chopped up into short story sections. You can just do one for 10, 15, 20 minutes, and then move on to something else when it's over. You can also save whenever.

Thanks y'all since playing in quick short bursts is all I can do right now I definitely looking forward to playing this soon.😁

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game

One of the most outrageous and fantastic games I've played this entire year, hands down.

this was an incredible achievement.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game ramps up in difficulty fairly quickly. I just couldn't get S on 3-10 on Intense and had to bump it down for the platinum, and the 5th postgame stage is totally bonkers.

I just finished 3-5 with an S rank, two stages I've gotten an A rank on because I didn't take my best team since they were out and I didn't feel like resetting. Maybe the latter 3-X stages get rough but at this point it doesn't seem rough at all.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question: when a flow chart is fully completed in the UI, but shows an incomplete percentage, do I just need to wait? Will other branches appear?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
how is the S ranking figured out in the battles? i noticed when enemies got stuck behind the blue wall that i started to get B-D rankings

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take Chihiro seriously.

Her catsuit looks so stupid when put aside literally every other character in this game, and I can't believe Vanillaware included the creaking sound of latex whenever she moves around.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it earlier this week. Loved it much more than I thought I would. And the theme during the final battle slaps so hard. The OST in general was really good.

That was probably one of my favorite final boss fights ever. When the message popped up that I had 75% to go I was like WUT. Then when the vocals kick in during the last quarter of the fight... legit chills.

The game was just twists on twists on twists in a good way. Everything felt really well thought out.

Oct 28, 2017
Which skills should I focus for each Sentinel type? I'm guessing

Gen1: [Leap Attack] and [Devastator Blade]
Gen2: [Sentry Gun]
Gen3: [Long Range Missiles] and [Heavy Railgun]
Gen4: [Multi-Lock Missiles] and maybe Leg impale?

And if a unit has EMP, upgrade that as well.

Gameplay only spoilers below:

When pilot upgrades become available Neurolink + 2 on all pilots lets them be used three times before taking a break so is useful. The other stat upgrades seem pretty weak.

For Meta Skills focus on Score multiplier for farming and EP Recharge since EP is a huge limiter.

Gen 1 : Leap Attack scales poorly and is a bad skill IMO. Limit Break is amazing, EMP Surrounding is Amazing and the combination of the two does a ton of AOE damage for Gen 1. Tackle is great but not an upgrade priority it lets you ignore blocking units that become more prevalent. Otherwise Devastator Blade or Rush Attack. I found minimal use for the Anti Air Flares or the Rockets.

Gen 2 : Sentry Gun and Guardian Avenger are stand out skills. The rocket attacks again scale VERY poorly since it just increases in area and not damage. Guardian Avenger is great since it locks down a large AOE and delivers a ton of damage. Everything else is kinda meh, maybe you can level the plasma discharge melee attack if you have chips to spare but pretty much every turn was spent dropping down some form of deployable.

Gen 3 : Long Range Missiles again scales poorly as its damge doesn't increase only its area. Heavy Railgun is... iffy? It's not very good damage for the Energy cost even on Hitomi who can fire twice in one turn with it. Miura is the ONLY sentinal with a super-heavy Railgun which is worth it. Otherwise rush Missile Rain and Super Heavy Missile the former for saturation bombing mooks and the latter for wiping out tougher enemies. Homing Missile also isn't bad. Honestly Gen 3s have such a long cooldown and are such huge energy hogs I found them annoying to use.

Gen 4 : Pretty much the only moves I used on these are Multi-Lock Missiles, Leg Impale and Interceptors. MLM which scales very well as it increases in damage, Leg Impale is deceptively amazing and especially on Yuki who has some melee boosting skills it does comparable damage to Gen 1 melee attacks. Interceptors are good to use with downtime as it's a deployable. I found the mines and the flares to be very awkward to use but they aren't bad to drop down if you have nothing else to do and are wating for a wave to drop, Amiguchi seems to specialize in Mines.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice that. I laughed. That's great.

I've been playing with surround sound headphones, and I fucking died when I heard the creaking.

Like, I get Vanillaware is extremely horny (the first few minutes of this game has a character being hit in the rear by something referred to as "the D Force") but considering how serious of a character Chihiro is supposed to be, she looks like the biggest idiot because of how she is dressed.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
plot twist

she's actually the great ancestor of the sorceress from dragon's crown & it's all the start of the vanillaware gaming universe

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what is the concensus on the game overall since im going to finally get the game next wednesday

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
So maybe I'm confused when characters hit their limits in battle you have to regen them manually or if you leave them out a fight they'll come back? If the latter then I broke my chain today for nothing :/

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
So maybe I'm confused when characters hit their limits in battle you have to regen them manually or if you leave them out a fight they'll come back? If the latter then I broke my chain today for nothing :/
you don't have to manually do it, they just sit out the next battle and are ready to go for the one after

i dont think the chain is a big deal though, i finished the game with a 40 chain and not sure it even mattered?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
mechanic essentially gives you more mystery points, so you'll get every mystery a few missions before the end game and have tons of points that will transform to spending points for the sentinel upgrades. It also adds a degree of difficulty forcing you to rotate characters so you kind of have to level up everybody if you don't want to be completely screwed by the end. Playing in normal with this system was a good balance, even having to spread my points between all characters I still got S ranking in most instances and the few I didn't was due to screw ups on my part.

If I had ONE complaint is the game doesnt give you a heads up one of the bonus objectives for the next mission could be a character that after you use them in the previous round will be out of the battle, so you either don't do the bonus objective or reload and remove that character from the line up.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Ok now it's starting to click more heavily. I think my mistake was kind of skimming each characters chapter i.e. doing one segment then skipping over to another character. Diving head first into each character until you hit a road block is a much better way to do it. RTS segments are clicking better now too. Watching those Sentry Guns go to work is pretty satisfying. Favorite character so far is probably Tomi because she's such a smartass lol. Think I'm going to head back to Iori's story line since they dropped the bombshell that
she's actually the nurse Chihiro Morimora?!
Unless I completely either misheard or something else flew over my head. Maybe I'll replay that segment for clarification.

Oct 25, 2017
Postgame battles are weirdly inconsistent. the 5th stage was just wildly far beyond anything around it or the next boss fight.

Unless I completely either misheard or something else flew over my head. Maybe I'll replay that segment for clarification.

"Unambiguous" revelations tend to get added to your Mystery Files pretty quickly.

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Not the best vn I have read, but definitely the one with the best presentation ever. The story is good overall, with a few characters being underserved or disjointed. Even with that, every character have their moments, and not a single one of them are a waste of time. (Although i have to mention some of the anime sexual tropes are very bad) The foreshadowing and story structure is very impressively handled, even if it comes with some downsides. There are a few story points that I think are incredibly dishonest considering the themes, but thankfully it is not a dealbreaker. Oh and I am glad there is that final unlockable cutscene and goes full on with the implications.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what's really sad. This game isn't going to win any awards in the west.

Normally i don't give a shit whether games (or anything else) wins awards. But i care about this one, because how fond i am of Vanillaware.

I don't want them to go away.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Not the best vn I have read, but definitely the one with the best presentation ever. The story is good overall, with a few characters being underserved or disjointed. Even with that, every character have their moments, and not a single one of them are a waste of time. (Although i have to mention some of the anime sexual tropes are very bad) The foreshadowing and story structure is very impressively handled, even if it comes with some downsides. There are a few story points that I think are incredibly dishonest considering the themes, but thankfully it is not a dealbreaker. Oh and I am glad there is that final unlockable cutscene and goes full on with the implications.
Wait. What final unlockable cutscene?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some have mentioned it but I'm also having the post great game blues. Tried jumping into Genshin Impact but I'm not in the mood for it as far as time investments goes considering it's one of those games you need to jump in frequently to get the most out of it if you're a F2P person.

I'm opting to jump into Utawarerumono trilogy for now and seeing how far I get considering that's the game I've always heard solid recs over but never gave it a go.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the high 30%s currently in remembrance and destruction, 12-13 hours in. Loving it. There are so many intertwined storylines, I have to pay so much attention to make sure I don't lose track of anything. I just hope everything makes sense by the end.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished my first character story with Iori and I hit a lock in every character, so I need play a bit in the battle section. It was good because I want sleep soon lmao

I think I have a grasp about what is happening about everything, but I dont't think is enough to understand all. I love this game.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
there's only a few instances in the battle mode that the game in a base ps4 just sludged through and dropped all frames, so it might be worth it for that but these moments are few and far in between. It's a hand drawn game so I don't know how much visual fidelity or performance upgrade it can realistically get outside of those few moments in battle mode.

I wasn't talking about that lol. I mean money.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Started playing this and I'm noticing that the sound mixing goes to shit at times with the voice acting being muddled. Using the English dub, not sure if it's my setup not downmixing correctly. PS4 hooked up to TV and that's outputting to a 2.1 sound bar via optical.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I have one particular question before I decide to buy this. I don't want to look at a video and be spoiled, and it's a little hard to tell based on the impressions shared so far; how is the beat-by-beat character dialogue?

I plan to play in Japanese, so if someone who has played the Japanese version can give some input on this, I would appreciate it. My main concern is tropey character dialogue where you can predict what they're going to say often.

I read that the localization is good, so I'm guessing this is not as much of a problem in the English version even if it exists in the original?

Either way, I'm interested to hear whether stereotypical anime writing plays a big part here, and if it's a detriment in your opinion.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this and I'm noticing that the sound mixing goes to shit at times with the voice acting being muddled. Using the English dub, not sure if it's my setup not downmixing correctly. PS4 hooked up to TV and that's outputting to a 2.1 sound bar via optical.
Yeah. That's your set-up. Sorry.

I have it going through my receiver, it sounds crisp and clear.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
About 70% on all three sections
Im purposely keeping gouto towards the end as he feels like the guy who actually fully understands everything and guessing he'll have some of the bigger revalations

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I'm still finishing the first chapter/prologue, near the end of it. I love the overworld, the art style, the premise...but man the combat loop is so mind numbingly boring and the graphics do it no favor. I don't know why they skimped out so hard on it, I would have taken FFT PS1 graphics over this :(.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
So question for people who've played it, I enjoy VNs like Zero Escape and Steins;Gate. Is this game's plot on par with those games?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I have one particular question before I decide to buy this. I don't want to look at a video and be spoiled, and it's a little hard to tell based on the impressions shared so far; how is the beat-by-beat character dialogue?

I plan to play in Japanese, so if someone who has played the Japanese version can give some input on this, I would appreciate it. My main concern is tropey character dialogue where you can predict what they're going to say often.

I read that the localization is good, so I'm guessing this is not as much of a problem in the English version even if it exists in the original?

Either way, I'm interested to hear whether stereotypical anime writing plays a big part here, and if it's a detriment in your opinion.
I am also strongly averse to "stereotypical anime writing" as you put it, and I'm happy to report that this game not only avoids that pitfall but frankly has some of the best character writing I've seen in a game in a long time. It's a credit to both the original writers (mostly Kamitani, I think) and the translation team at Atlus. All of the dialog is very naturalistic, and every character's personality shines through clearly. It's an impressive achievement in storytelling and writing all around.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia

I never really mind those tropey stuff so maybe I'm not very good at judging it.
you'll still see a lot of anime stuff like senpai here and there, character blushes all the time. But almost every single moment is packed with meaningful conversation/explanation of the story.
There's very less downtime for nonsense.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
4 characters finished & hit a major story point with Miura (one more playthrough & his part will be finished).

Well damn, it finally started to click with me what the hell was going on after hitting 87% with Miura. Probably helps I've played some other VNs that I could reference to better understand the plot.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this games biggest strength in the beginning which was just dropping giant no context spoilers regarding other characters plotlines becomes it's weakness the more you play the game as some information gets resaid and by dropping info about other characters their plotlines begin to lose their intrigue and surprise.

Ex: I only have 3 characters left being Hijiyama (85% done asides from the section locked by Gouto's route) , Gouto and Megumi but I have seen literally everything about Megumi through the other characters routes that despite her having an interesting hook at the beginning playing her story is a slog