• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Just finished it. The game starts really strong but the back half of the game was a real slog for me.Glad I played it, but a big dissapointment overall.
That's kinda where I'm at unfortunately, don't wanna really do the fights anymore but I have too & I know there's like two more twists left with Gouto & Hijiyama final story bits but.. meh.

I actually think the game tries to be too clever, I don't think the game needed to be so mysterious for the sake of it.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I think the battles are fine. I like blowing shit up, you have a good amount of options, and the battles go by pretty fast either way. Tbh I'll take this over Odin Sphere which starts well but ends up being one of the most repetitive games I've ever played (I haven't played any other Vanillaware games except these two).

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the battles are fine. I like blowing shit up, you have a good amount of options, and the battles go by pretty fast either way. Tbh I'll take this over Odin Sphere which starts well but ends up being one of the most repetitive games I've ever played (I haven't played any other Vanillaware games except these two).

I like to think I'm playing some Evangelion battles lmao

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
+1 for turret spam. They're hilariously powerful.

Aside from that Nenji and Yuki are my two wrecking balls. Have them both specced hard to just get close and use blade/leg spike.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I keep almost biting the bullet on this, really want to give it a go but the price tag is a little too steep for a game I may end up not liking.. it doesn't help that I'm refusing to watch anything beyond the trailer to stop from spoiling the experience.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep almost biting the bullet on this, really want to give it a go but the price tag is a little too steep for a game I may end up not liking.. it doesn't help that I'm refusing to watch anything beyond the trailer to stop from spoiling the experience.

Kudos on your perseverance reading the thread and not buying this. If you like a really good, complex, well-presented story you can't go wrong with this game.

You'll quickly grow into liking the battles!

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos on your perseverance reading the thread and not buying this. If you like a really good, complex, well-presented story you can't go wrong with this game.

You'll quickly grow into liking the battles!

Ah man it's so tempting, Amazon says I can get it by 7pm today if I order in the next hour and a half..

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Yes turrets are awesome, 4th generation's drones/sentries, the ones that can pierce armored enemies, not so sure, used them a couple of times, I don't really know what they do lol.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a hard time picking this up again after I've put it down, and sticking with it for longer than 30-60 minutes at a time. I'm technically loving the story, I love twisty, crazy scifi-fantasy stuff like this, but the storytelling is doing the opposite of hooking me. It's really intriguing and wonderfully crafted, but there's too much constant gear changing due to the nature of the game, and it's constantly losing momentum for me because of the way you're jumping between characters AND events back and forth like every... 10 minutes.

You never know what's gonna happen next, and I mean that in a negative way, unfortunately. Everything is out of context and I have very little emotional connection to almost any of these characters (a couple stand out, though), so events have very little weight for me. I'm also not really enjoying the gameplay.

It's not all bad, of course. The game looks fucking beautiful and I really enjoy the overall writing, dialogue is great and with a cast as huge as this, I'm happy they've taken the more economical approach, and pretty much every single bit of dialogue is meaningful and important. It's just a shame it feels like I have to force myself to play the game. If the cast was smaller and they had a slightly bigger focus on the emotional core of the whole thing rather than throwing mysteries in your face and being clever, I would probably love this.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes turrets are awesome, 4th generation's drones/sentries, the ones that can pierce armored enemies, not so sure, used them a couple of times, I don't really know what they do lol.
You can spam around 50+ of these and they attack automatically, I just usually spam them when there is a downtime. At max you can basically just do this plus turrets and win a level at S on normal without moving

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to me, basically I'm not in a mood for VN and don't understand much of the rts base on trailers. I said fuck it and bought it, and well this is my goty. Even the rts sections are addicting, to the point that I was grinding for hours and getting S on all difficulties. The story is a puzzle and one of the best sci fi stories there is, I highly recommend it.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
You can spam around 50+ of these and they attack automatically, I just usually spam them when there is a downtime. At max you can basically just do this plus turrets and win a level at S on normal without moving
Do you have to deploy them near the kaiju? I saw them flying around but I don't know what dictates where they go and their attacks are not as flashy as the turrets, so I don't really know if they're doing much damage.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Same thing happened to me, basically I'm not in a mood for VN and don't understand much of the rts base on trailers. I said fuck it and bought it, and well this is my goty. Even the rts sections are addicting, to the point that I was grinding for hours and getting S on all difficulties. The story is a puzzle and one of the best sci fi stories there is, I highly recommend it.

I just impulse bought it digitally - thanks a lot. :(

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to deploy them near the kaiju? I saw them flying around but I don't know what dictates where they go and their attacks are not as flashy as the turrets, so I don't really know if they're doing much damage.
You can only deploy them on yourself but they are self automated and auto attacks everything, at around 50 or more (didn't count the max but there is a cap like turret) they can easily swarm any enemies, I don't think they can be killed too since I never was able to use the skill more after hitting the cap. Get the hyper condenser passive too to boost their numbers.

I just impulse bought it digitally - thanks a lot. :(

You'll turn that frown into smile afterwards :)

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
You can only deploy them on yourself but they are self automated and auto attacks everything, at around 50 or more (didn't count the max but there is a cap like turret) they can easily swarm any enemies, I don't think they can be killed too since I never was able to use the skill more after hitting the cap. Get the hyper condenser passive too to boost their numbers.
I see, thanks!

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I picked up a copy yesterday and I'm going in mostly blind. I read Eurogamer's review which told me very little. I did have a question in response to something written in the review:

She mentions there's a plotline with gay characters and that it of course has to have tragedy. Honestly, I'm so starved for any queer stories that I will take it. My question is if it's possible to miss this. I don't want specifics with who it involves or their gender unless I have to go out of my to see it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a copy yesterday and I'm going in mostly blind. I read Eurogamer's review which told me very little. I did have a question in response to something written in the review:

She mentions there's a plotline with gay characters and that it of course has to have tragedy. Honestly, I'm so starved for any queer stories that I will take it. My question is if it's possible to miss this. I don't want specifics with who it involves or their gender unless I have to go out of my to see it.

No, you will know what they talk about very early in the game.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
You're the best! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

The game is very linear for the first 2 hours, after that it open quite a lot. So you can focus on the character that you want BUT you will get story block by side objective to advance further. But you will find your character you want to follow pretty early. Just go blind, pretty sure you will like it.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
5 hours into this after impulse buying last night and ehhhh...not sure how I feel about this. Story isn't doing a whole lot for me so far and the RTS segments are pretty mindless. Buuuuut heard this was a pretty long game so maybe it takes a bit to get going.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Of the 12 characters whose stories are easily accessible, not one is the character where I'm like "oh no, not them. I don't want to know more about them." I won't say I equally enjoy their stories, but they really nailed the characters in this game.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Of the 12 characters whose stories are easily accessible, not one is the character where I'm like "oh no, not them. I don't want to know more about them." I won't say I equally enjoy their stories, but they really nailed the characters in this game.
The character writing (and English localization of said writing) is in a class of its own IMO. They're all so well realized and likeable.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck with Analysis 99% even tough supposedly I unlocked every Mystery File. Do I actually need to read entries or did I find a bug?

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The character writing (and English localization of said writing) is in a class of its own IMO. They're all so well realized and likeable.

Spanish localization is also pretty good. It's a lot better than Sakura Wars, which it was already than P5R. If Yakuza 7 spanish localization is on the level of 13 sentinels this game will be amazing.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Gouto's story just flies past my head it's like taking a test & you haven't been paying attention in class all week

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Got "Completed", on several characters already, one wave of battles left. I don't want this to end so soon :(

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't particularly like Juro, Fuyusaka, or Gouta, but even not caring for their characters specifically, the stories surrounding them were interesting enough it didn't matter much. So I suppose your point still stands.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't particularly like Juro, Fuyusaka, or Gouta, but even not caring for their characters specifically, the stories surrounding them were interesting enough it didn't matter much. So I suppose your point still stands.
Well Gouta is the one I excluded. Juro I can understand. I almost made a follow-up that he's kinda boring but kinda seems like that's the point. Fuyusaka I like though.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. This is the first 9.5/10 of the year for me, will very likely be among my top 5 if not top 3 of the year. Loved the story. The battle mode was super fun, even if 1 or 2 battles were unnecessarily obtuse with difficulty.

Pixel_Stream

Oct 28, 2017
Its a shame, i dont think it will have had enough people played it for it to have any chance to win any story awards during GOTY, including here. And you cant even explain why its good because everything about is a spoiler lol.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What purpose do melee units have?
They are outclassed by Gen4 in just about every way.

Leg Spike > Demolition Blade for armored heavy solo units
Flying + half-map Multi-Lock Missles > moving on roads and Leap attack.

What am I missing?

Atm I use 2x Gen 1, 2x Gen, 1x Gen 3, 1x Gen 4
Should I swap one Gen 1 for another Gen 4?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What am I missing?

They can do way more damage against big enemies in a single burst, and flares are useful for intercepting missles

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

What am I missing?

If you pump up Demolition Blade it shreds way more than Leg Spike does. Also they're tanky and having them run in and do a big EMP blast is really useful. I like having one on the team, any more feels like overkill unless it's needed for a specific map.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

What am I missing?

They are the biggest single-unit damage dealers by far. Demolition Blade melts all of the bigger, armored kaiju.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Admiral Woofington keeps pestering me to buy this game so I guess you'll probably have another goty vote for later if it's as good as he says

Anything to support vanillaware at this point, Dragons Crown remains my jam

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What am I missing?

Lmao no. Demolition blade is broken. There's one Gen 1 mech in particular whose upgrade to demolition blade makes him THE unit to jump next to any big enemy and literally one shot kill them because of his increased arc range and damage.

Admiral Woofington keeps pestering me to buy this game so I guess you'll probably have another goty vote for later if it's as good as he says

Anything to support vanillaware at this point, Dragons Crown remains my jam
I simp for this game so hard if you don't like it ill send friendship divorce papers.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao no. Demolition blade is broken. There's one Gen 1 mech in particular whose upgrade to demolition blade makes him THE unit to jump next to any big enemy and literally one shot kill them because of his increased arc range and damage.

I simp for this game so hard if you don't like it ill send friendship divorce papers.
Great and that's the only Gen1 I currently don't use. I wanna focus on 6 characters.

Is one Gen 1 enough to deal with these units or what is your typical setup?