• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my copy in the mail -- excited to dig in. I've been craving a story-heavy game and am in the mood for something intricate/dense.

I've just got going on Hades though, which is pretty absorbing. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to switch over yet....

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Is Yuki one of the better girls? She's my main draw to the game, besides mecha. >_>

Does the rough scene involve Iori? She seems like the flagship girl, seeing as how she was the focus of that creepy JPN PS4 theme.
Yeah Yuki is great. Her and Natsuno are my favorites now about 10 hours in.

And yes. Iori has a few bits that might put people off a little. I actually do like her character though. I don't even notice them when playing alone but my wife has been kind of mocking some of it.
Personally, my feeling is that it's a game that has a baseline of respect for all of its characters, but throws some tropes on top of them at a slight detriment. Both the guys and girls can be capable, independent and interesting, but two of the girls have revealing cockpit portraits or flash some skin sometimes. It feels more like acknowledging tropes than legitimately trying to be sexy, but idk, I know people won't be satisfied with that reasoning. If you have 0 tolerance for that stuff this game will bother you, but if you can look past it then it is only a very small piece of the game.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Just started to play this evening.
This is GOTY material. The conversation system is so engaging.

Gorgeous looking game as well.

The battle system isn't as bad or complicated as I thought it would be.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Just got through the tutorial and the story so far is intentionally cryptic and messy, which is exactly what makes it exhilarating. I'm confused as all heck, and I'm sure I've barely even scratched the surface, but it's fun to pick up the tiny bits of intrigue so far.

From a character first impression standpoint, Natsuno is probably my favorite so far. I love how dweeb she gets about aliens and mystery stuff.

I saw a lot of people were down on the combat part of the game pre-launch too, but I've enjoyed all the tutorial fights so far, at least.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the fact a conversation will just...stop halfway in & you gotta hit X again to continue it. Why not just keep the conversation going if there's nothing else to do in the area?

Not sure what to think of the battle system since I've only done the prologues for 3 characters so far.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Got past the tutorial last night and doing some of Story & Battles now. Getting those Front Mission vibes with the battle system. Curious as to the depth of the upgrade systems will be.

I'm one of those people that really misses actual game manuals, but the one included in-game is really excellent, and should be the standard.

Accessible in-game, with an intro, illustrations, and a proper layout, full colour and it doesn't just open your web browser. Love it.

Glad other people notice this. Makes me wish I got a physical copy when something like this is included. I hate those open in your browser manuals, they're just instrusive.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
2 hours in.... wtf the story, i'm super lost, probably normal but i was not expecting that vibe at all !

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah Yuki is great. Her and Natsuno are my favorites now about 10 hours in.

And yes. Iori has a few bits that might put people off a little. I actually do like her character though. I don't even notice them when playing alone but my wife has been kind of mocking some of it.
Personally, my feeling is that it's a game that has a baseline of respect for all of its characters, but throws some tropes on top of them at a slight detriment. Both the guys and girls can be capable, independent and interesting, but two of the girls have revealing cockpit portraits or flash some skin sometimes. It feels more like acknowledging tropes than legitimately trying to be sexy, but idk, I know people won't be satisfied with that reasoning. If you have 0 tolerance for that stuff this game will bother you, but if you can look past it then it is only a very small piece of the game.
Hmm, I have more tolerance than I care to admit but I did play through Persona 5 Royal. Though I will approach this differently since it's much closer to being a straight up visual novel.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I have more tolerance than I care to admit but I did play through Persona 5 Royal. Though I will approach this differently since it's much closer to being a straight up visual novel.
I think you'll be fine then. I love the game so far and I'd hate to turn anyone away who might have the same experience I am. Try it and just give it some time.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

7~ish hours in and I definitely agree with their take on the matter so far. The game obviously has the naked cockpit thing going on, but outside of that it hasn't felt gratuitous at all anywhere else outside of like, the school nurse being hot and a single scene where you kinda almost see a bra. So far, it's seeming a lot less egregious than the cockpits would have one think

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
This is me. I don't mind the shamelessness of the fanservice, but since it was so highly recommended by Yoko Taro and Sakurai I wish it didn't have it. Would like more people to be able to experience it. I'll probably jump in this weekend. The art is just incredible.
I mean I think only like one of Yoko Taro's console releases doesn't have fanservice in it and that's the one where the cast is made up of war criminals, people who have broken society's greatest taboos, and one really annoying kid (Drakengard 1).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Just got past Hijiyama's prologue.

So... uh... since Okino is explictly non-binary, do the characters pretty much keep misgendering them throughout the game? I have no idea if this is on purpose or if this is showing character flaws that will be addressed later.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Just got past Hijiyama's prologue.

So... uh... since Okino is explictly non-binary, do the characters pretty much keep misgendering them throughout the game? I have no idea if this is on purpose or if this is showing character flaws that will be addressed later.
I'm pretty sure Okino still accepts he/him pronouns, but I haven't gotten far enough into the game to tell you explicitly.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Okino still accepts he/him pronouns, but I haven't gotten far enough into the game to tell you explicitly.

Yeah, I can see that being the case as well. It is just weird right now since we're mostly seeing either Hijiyama's inner thoughts or that other character who dumped their backstory. But I'll keep playing, as it could come up with Okino directly too later on.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well see ya fellas, I'm out of this thread, I did my part recommending this game to some of my PS4 friends. Hopefully you all enjoy it.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I... can't with this game, sorry. I tried my best. Enjoy it everyone. I just don't have a lot of tolerance for the hypersexualized designs. Doesn't work for me. I hope this game clicks for the rest of you.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Persona 5 has more fanservice than this game so far, I'd say. The pilots are naked in the cockpits but it's the guys as well, and you really can't see anything anyway. Other than that there's one quick scene that lasts half a second but nothing really gratuitous otherwise.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
I played through two characters first prologue. The game is very snappy and has some great art. The English VA is surprisingly good that I might stick with it when normally I never do if given the option.

The fan service hasn't been that bad yet except the nurse. What a stupid design.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
So got my hands on the localized copy. Couple of key notices from the original JP dialogue. I always like looking out for these things.

Many times during the game it makes references to real life movies that have come out, their authors, and the year they were published. In the JP dub they can actually say all the names, movie titles, and year. In the localized EN text however they have omitted all the authors names, kept some movie titles but changed others, and kept most of the years they were released. This change is probably due to some sort of IP/name/copyright rights that I have no clue about.You will notice this mostly see this is Minami Natsunos prologue.

In fact, in that very same conversation a localization was made to a conversation topic that isn't a spoiler but I'll spoil it anyway
Minami Natsuno states after receiving the tape from Juro that she will eventually work at NASA because she wants to meet an alien. However, Iori then tells her she will need to work on her "Science" grades. In the original JP dub Iori instead tells her she will need to work on her English 英語 instead.

I am only through most of the prologue in the localized copy but will keep an ear and eye out for others

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Got past the tutorial last night and doing some of Story & Battles now. Getting those Front Mission vibes with the battle system. Curious as to the depth of the upgrade systems will be.

Glad other people notice this. Makes me wish I got a physical copy when something like this is included. I hate those open in your browser manuals, they're just instrusive.
There was no physical manual in my physical copy. Not even a reversible cover.

I'm still in the prologues, but loving the off the wall nature of this bonkers Sci fi adventure.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So got my hands on the localized copy. Couple of key notices from the original JP dialogue. I always like looking out for these things.

Many times during the game it makes references to real life movies that have come out, their authors, and the year they were published. In the JP dub they can actually say all the names, movie titles, and year. In the localized EN text however they have omitted all the authors names, kept some movie titles but changed others, and kept most of the years they were released. This change is probably due to some sort of IP/name/copyright rights that I have no clue about.You will notice this mostly see this is Minami Natsunos prologue.

In fact, in that very same conversation a localization was made to a conversation topic that isn't a spoiler but I'll spoil it anyway
Minami Natsuno states after receiving the tape from Juro that she will eventually work at NASA because she wants to meet an alien. However, Iori then tells her she will need to work on her "Science" grades. In the original JP dub Iori instead tells her she will need to work on her English 英語 instead.

I am only through most of the prologue in the localized copy but will keep an ear and eye out for others
Are the changes in the Japanese VA + English subs as well? Or is the only way to see that stuff via Japanese VA + Japanese subs?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a copy with slipcase and artbook. Hoping for an official larger artbook down the road for my collection, game is beautiful

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The guy fell in love with Okino, confessed, time traveled to meet her again, discovered she was somewhat more of a he, and was asking them what was up with that.
As a trans person, that's not the best way to word that. 😅 Sounds like the character, Okino, is possibly non-binary. At least that is the impression I get from the dialogue which I guess is an improvement over the original script. I'm assuming the worst and it's the typical trans coded character that is just a gay man trope.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
As a trans person, that's not the best way to word that. 😅 Sounds like the character, Okino, is possibly non-binary. At least that is the impression I get from the dialogue which I guess is an improvement over the original script. I'm assuming the worst and it's the typical trans coded character that is just a gay man trope.
There's a bunch more going on with that character that is very heavy spoiler territory and I don't fully understand yet at the half way point in the story.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm open to any spoilers regarding that character. Though now that I know the character's name, I'll do some research elsewhere.
They're pretty heavy overarching plot spoilers that I feel like are going to come into play with the endgame they're working towards. It's tough for me to say whether or not the representations are respectful or not - although I'd say the localisation team have done well to aid in that regard - but if you can avoid spoilers then this is one game that has constantly delivered in terms of plot twists that you're better off not knowing going into it.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty heavy overarching plot spoilers that I feel like are going to come into play with the endgame they're working towards. It's tough for me to say whether or not the representations are respectful or not - although I'd say the localisation team have done well to aid in that regard - but if you can avoid spoilers then this is one game that has constantly delivered in terms of plot twists that you're better off not knowing going into it.
Let me put it this way, if the character results in a Luka type situation I am not going to be happy if I invest in the game. That completely killed my interest in Steins;Gate.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let me put it this way, if the character results in a Luka type situation I am not going to be happy if I invest in the game. That completely killed my interest in Steins;Gate.

Haven't played Steins Gate so I can't make a comparison, but here are my observations regarding the character:

Okino presents as male most of the times in game, and mostly crossdresses out of necessity (to hide his identity). However, there are one or two times where there's no need to do so but he does it anyways to tease Hijiyama.

Last edited:

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Coming to the end of the prologue and I'm very impressed. Completely lost in terms of the story, but very impressed overall. Looks even better than I was thinking and what I'd heard about the OST being great is definitely true.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Eil0-9BWkAEWDYb

I adore this sky. Reminds me of Braid. Especially the smoke effect

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Oh wow, you actually have a lot of freedom!

Should I focus on one character at a time? (Do all the different paths in someone's story) before jumping into another character's story, or should I swap between characters?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The story is intriguing, the art is beautiful, the voice acting is really goo, and the musical score is great. The battles are oddly enjoyable considering it's "minimalist" presentation (which isn't a negative, just different from Vanillaware's usual take on combat). The UI is also really slick, and the overall presentation is slick.

Since I kept forgetting this game even existed, this has been a sleeper hit for me. I was just gonna buy it support Vanillaware (it can't be fun being a lower profile title releasing in between some mega PS4 exclusives, and less than 2 months before the PS5 releases) and then play it on PS5, but I changed my mind and booted it up Monday night when it unlocked and have been loving it.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I focus on one character at a time? (Do all the different paths in someone's story) before jumping into another character's story
That's what i've been doing. When you hit a certain % clear in a charterer story. It'll lock, so you'll have to move on. (i've got around 55% of Juro's story done, before it locked me out) so i've been a few of the battle missions.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
So my Copy arrived, sadly no Artbook.
Hopefully there will be a bigger down the road that has more content.
You could just make some Screenshots of this game and sell it as an artbook lol.
Will probably dive into it in the evening.