• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
EX7fWAWWoAAVjNP.jpg

Now, you might be asking "why should I care about this game?"

Maybe this might interest you. Some unknown game designers going by the name of Yoko Taro and Masahiro Sakurai had some words about the game.

Screenshot_2020-05-26_Yoko_Taro_Comments_on_Vanillawares_13_Sentinels_Aegis_Rim1.png

Screenshot_2020-05-26_Masahiro_Sakurai_Praises_13_Sentinels_Aegis_Rim_and_George_Kamitani.png

also cool music I guess?

Last edited:

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not really "possibly hinting," it's definitely coming west, they announced the localization in June 2017.

But yeah this will be the first English trailer, hopefully includes a release date.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I delayed playing FF7R so I could finish the import of this game.
It's WAY better than you think it will be. Shockingly so.
Probably going to double dip.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Let's see if it's good first, having Yoko Taro and Sakurai doing positive PR won't help if your game is bad.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a long time coming, looking forward to this, especially with all the great WOM.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
FINALLY!

Day 1 purchase for sure based on the reviews by other ERA members.

Let's see if it's good first, having Yoko Taro and Sakurai doing positive PR won't help if your game is bad.

Here is a detailed post that might be useful.

www.resetera.com

I Finished 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and I Feel Compelled to Talk About it (Please Tag Spoilers)

This is my first Vanillaware game, so I don't have any reference points to draw upon, except the fact that it's different from past VW games. It's funny looking at the threads about this game on here with people thinking that it's not worth all the dev time. If you are not in a reading mood, at...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The reception has me really curious to finally play it.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They played it, that's the point. It's not PR, the game flopped hard and found better success several months later when its reputation grew with so many people screaming at every rooftop that it was one of the best game they've ever played and wanting others to play it. It's a sleeper hit

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what kind of gameplay does it have outside of the VN segments?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've heard nothing but fantastic things about this game, so I'm pretty excited.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I really liked the game, and I obtained the platinum trophy too.

I still have the pre-order theme as my default theme, I'm wondering if it will be included with the western release :D

what kind of gameplay does it have outside of the VN segments?
It's a real time strategy game when out of VN segments. Enemies pop around the map, you deploy your members and launch attacks while avoiding death or the destruction of pylons.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best game I've played all year, and one of the best VNs I've played. Can't wait to double-dip and see the discussion around it.

In case anyone needs convincing and played 428 before, here's an analogy.
428 is a giant 3D sliding puzzle that the player has to sit there and solve. On the other hand, 13 Sentinels is like as if someone dropkicks a giant puzzle and the individual pieces scattered throughout every corner of a messy room, and the player has to find it and put it back together. On top of that, the shape of the puzzle and the illustrations on it are designed in a way that it could fit into smaller illustrations. THEN at the end, you can use the archive section of the game to give you a complete look of what the ACTUAL illustration on the puzzle is supposed to look like. The story, when told in a linear fashion is already pretty good, but it's the way that its told during a playthrough that transforms it into something truly special.

Yes but the youtube TAG had Nintendo in it so....!

Jokin' (more or less)
Would be nice, but some of the later sections gives even my PS4 Pro trouble.

Last edited:

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
MĂ©xico
Finally! I'm super curious to play this game. Since the game kinda flopped in Japan I was worried they would cancel the localization. I hope positive word-of-mouth in the west can help it perform well.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't remember what platforms it released. Just PS4?

Jokin' (more or less)

Apparently the framerate tanks in parts even on PS4 Pro, so I'd be stunned if there was a Switch port. Also ATLUS.

Anyway, this has been one of my most anticipated games for such a long time now. Hope it hits this year.

In case anyone needs convincing and played 428 before, here's an analogy.

This gets me even more excited for this. Poetically put too.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Jokin' (more or less)
If it is released near PS5 and XBX I think that only having a version for PS4 can be a mistake.
Apparently the framerate tanks in parts even on PS4 Pro, so I'd be stunned if there was a Switch port. Also ATLUS.

Anyway, this has been one of my most anticipated games for such a long time now. Hope it hits this year.

This gets me even more excited for this. Poetically put too.
I just watched a gameplay and I can't understand how it can have bad framerate.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Buying this Day One. Hell I own almost every one of their games so would be odd not to buy it.

Edit: Dreamboum holy shit this is the first time I heard any of the music its really good.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This is probably an unfounded fear but I feel like the game may be digital only in the west. That would be a nightmare scenario for me. Ideally we got a nice limited edition like Odin Sphere did.

Edit:

Also I posted this in the other thread but I am pretty sure had Covid-19 not happened this year George Kamitani would have likely been to E3 as a guest to do signings.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Okey i'm a blatant ignorant regarding this game, something odd considering i've played every Vanillaware game and Dragon's Crown is one of my favorite PS3 games.

What is 13 Sentinels? how does it play?

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Did it flop in Japan? I got the impression that it sold around the same ballpark as other Vanillaware titles.

About the same as most of their output, with modest legs in following weeks thanks to positive word of mouth.

Problem is their previous game was a million seller so it was always going to be compared to that, even if it was the only VW game to ever reach those numbers.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Buying this Day One. Hell I own almost every one of their games so would be odd not to buy it.

Edit: Dreamboum holy shit this is the first time I heard any of the music its really good.
It's Basiscape! FF Tactics, FFXII, Tactics Ogre, Valkyria Chronicles and plenty of other games

Hitoshi Sakimoto, Azusa Chiba, Yoshimi Kudo and more. It's brilliant. Like high-impact brilliant

I am obsessed with it

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
MĂ©xico
Did it flop in Japan? I got the impression that it sold around the same ballpark as other Vanillaware titles.

"Flopped" maybe wasn't the right word, but the game underperformed at launch. I found this quote of the game's director in PersonaCentral:

In a Dengeki PlayStation interview from December 2019, the game's director, George Kamitani, expressed regret at the game's middling sales performance, stating that 13 Sentinels was sandwiched between big titles and that it's also a game that's hard to explain. This was conflated by the game's difficult development.
personacentral.com

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Reaches 130k Copies Shipped in Japan - Persona Central

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, has achieved over 130,000 copies shipped in Japan since its release on November 28, 2019.

So far the game has sold 130k. For reference, Dragon's Crown sold 175,000 physical units the first week in Japan.

I wonder if they are going to dub the voices or if they are just going to localize the subtitules. There's a lot of characters in this game and expectations probably aren't that high.

Last edited:

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just to flame the music discussion more:

There are more great songs, but no one uploaded them individually yet

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
It's Basiscape! FF Tactics, FFXII, Tactics Ogre, Valkyria Chronicles and plenty of other games

Hitoshi Sakimoto, Azusa Chiba, Yoshimi Kudo and more. It's brilliant. Like high-impact brilliant

I am obsessed with it

Man this is so good. I fear that it will take forever to get the soundtrack though... Hell I bought the Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown soundtrack but those took forever to come out.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I was always curious about it, but I've heard such strong things about it lately that I've been really looking forward to it. Glad to know that the English release didn't just vanish and may actually be out sometime soon.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Used to not care about the game. But I'm now in a mech frenzy after played Muv-Luv trilogy. I wonder how it compares and I hope it's great. I'm actually excited for the game. Just wonder if they'll release it on more platforms in West.